Options

sick of american news?

workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
Forum Member
✭✭✭
anyone else sick of american news? is there nothing happening in this part of the world? sky is the worst.i dont care whats going on there.am i alone?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky News has a few connections to Fox News, so it is always going to broadcast news about America. If you don't like it don't watch.:D
  • Options
    Stevie_DonaldStevie_Donald Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    No I am not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely news is news. If there is not much happening anywhere else what do you expect them to report on?

If people want to ingest only certain types of news them i dont think 24/7 rolling news is the thing for you. Maybe just use the internet to read/watch news of your choosing. Everyones idea of news is different. This is even more apparent after reading some of the threads on DS lately, theres too much of something,not enough of something else.

they cant please everyone all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Sky News has a few connections to Fox News, so it is always going to broadcast news about America. If you don't like it don't watch.:D

its worse than a pop up.i dont watch for longer than i have to but it seems to be unavoidable at the moment.i simply am fed up of american news.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's in the world news section, and if it isn't then you need to get a better news source
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you think it's bad now, just wait for Tuesday. :p
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair New York being devastated by natural disaster/terrorism/alien invasion has been a stable of blockbuster movies for decades.

It's hardly a surprise that news channels wet their pants when reality mirrors Hollywood.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    workhorse wrote: »
    anyone else sick of american news? is there nothing happening in this part of the world? sky is the worst.i dont care whats going on there.am i alone?

Yep - me. I don't believe that there's no other news going on; might not be bad news but they could break with tradition and tell us more good news!

I don't care a fig for American politics and whilst I feel sorry for those involved in the recent hurricane, I don't understand why it dominates the news.

Then again, the mental health profession did say that the news should carry a government health warning ;)
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you're having withdrawal from the lack of Savile coverage... Don't worry - I'm sure they'll get back on it soon enough
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »

Nooooooooooooooooo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i will not go near sky for a while.they have sickened me.
  • Options
    ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep who cares who wins their election and if this country had suffered the weather they have had would it be the top story on their news 24/7
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Maybe you're having withdrawal from the lack of Savile coverage... Don't worry - I'm sure they'll get back on it soon enough

strangely that didnt bother me.i was glad the victims had a voice at last.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eve_Dyer wrote: »
    Nooooooooooooooooo

:D

Believe me when I say it will be a million times worse over there, with people being bombarded with political adverts, robocalls from the candidates and leaflets in the post. Thank your lucky stars you at least have an ocean between that mess and you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ste1969 wrote: »
    yep who cares who wins their election and if this country had suffered the weather they have had would it be the top story on their news 24/7

thats true.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank your lucky stars you at least have an ocean between that mess and you.

They get to say the same thing every May.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep - me. I don't believe that there's no other news going on; might not be bad news but they could break with tradition and tell us more good news!

I don't care a fig for American politics and whilst I feel sorry for those involved in the recent hurricane, I don't understand why it dominates the news.

Then again, the mental health profession did say that the news should carry a government health warning ;)

well said.dont get me wrong i love most things american,but ive had enough american news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Believe me when I say it will be a million times worse over there, with people being bombarded with political adverts, robocalls from the candidates and leaflets in the post. Thank your lucky stars you at least have an ocean between that mess and you.

I know and I also know I should be interested but I'm not - that's what politicians are for. I want lightness and frippary sometimes :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair New York being devastated by natural disaster/terrorism/alien invasion has been a stable of blockbuster movies for decades.

It's hardly a surprise that news channels wet their pants when reality mirrors Hollywood.

i agree but they are flogging it to death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    workhorse wrote: »
    well said.dont get me wrong i love most things american,but ive had enough american news.

There are a fair few American things I like - just not everything they say and do. I was watching a film last night and thought 'thank goodness for America, there'd be rubbish films and series without them' - I'm too ill informed to know of much else :o

Our lot do seem to be covering the American election as though it's our own! Surely just reporting who is President would be enough?
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,027
    Forum Member
    zombie wrote: »
    Surely news is news. If there is not much happening anywhere else what do you expect them to report on?

Theres always plenty of things going on in the world. The UK media has an obsession with America and tends to report every little thing.

Go to some of the non-US sites and see for yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a fair few American things I like - just not everything they say and do. I was watching a film last night and thought 'thank goodness for America, there'd be rubbish films and series without them' - I'm too ill informed to know of much else :o

Our lot do seem to be covering the American election as though it's our own! Surely just reporting who is President would be enough?

i dont remember previous elections getting this much coverage.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Sky are leading with American stories then there must still be a large amount of viewers still interested in hearing them as they poll on that sort of thing to report to their advertisers. But you can't please everyone.. some want US election and storm coverage, others Savile coverage, there may even be some poor sod who wants lots of reports on the EU
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Use Google News, or some other aggregation service, and filter out things to do with the US. Job done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pericom wrote: »
    Theres always plenty of things going on in the world. The UK media has an obsession with America and tends to report every little thing.

Go to some of the non-US sites and see for yourself.

As much as I agree that American news is given a little too much importance sometimes, the election this week and Sandy last week are the most important news stories in the world right now.

Non-US sites? How about Le Monde: lead story is Manhattan's electricity and petrol problems. The top "NOW" bar: the first 2 items are Élections américaines and Ouragan Sandy.