Options

Jimmy Saville to be revealed as a paedophile? (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't seem that long ago the BBC were getting high praise for their coverage of the Olympics.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real Danger for the BBC various goverments over the years have tried to dismantle it.
    (with the help of the murdochs)
    Unless they can steady the ship that has to be a real prospect.

IMHO patten needed to Quit tonight.If something else occurs that forces that its just going to make the BBC even Weaker.Next week they are going to have Children in need with loads of very emotional stories about Kids needing help.And they cant even sort out what was going on in some of the studios they are using for the event.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've re-opened this blog to cover the DG's resignation

George Entwistle resigns as director general of the BBC
    • Entwistle said stepping down was the 'honourable thing to do'
    • George Entwistle criticised for 'painful' Today interview
    • BBC sorry for wrongly accusing Lord McAlpine of child abuse

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/nov/10/bbc-newsnight-crisis-live
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've re-opened this blog to cover the DG's resignation

George Entwistle resigns as director general of the BBC
    • Entwistle said stepping down was the 'honourable thing to do'
    • George Entwistle criticised for 'painful' Today interview
    BBC sorry for wrongly accusing Lord McAlpine of child abuse

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/nov/10/bbc-newsnight-crisis-live

This is the bit that slightly amuses me, the BBC never actually named him . nearly everyone else did .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matthew Stadlen‏ @MatthewStadlen
    It is a sign of #BBC News' independence that John Humphrys' interview may have played a part in the resignation

True, dat.

Michael Crick‏ @MichaelLCrick
    George Entwistle's resignation v sad. A good, decent man, badly let down. V few people could have coped with recent rush of awful events
  • Options
    NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    This is the bit that slightly amuses me, the BBC never actually named him . nearly everyone else did .

Yes but it was known who Steve had said had abused him.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeremy Vine ‏@theJeremyVine
    George #Entwistle was my editor on Newsnight in 2000 and even if this is the right decision, he is a person of huge integrity & intelligence
    Michael Crick‏ @MichaelLCrick
    George Entwistle's resignation v sad. A good, decent man, badly let down. V few people could have coped with recent rush of awful events

I'm glad he's getting support from his colleagues. Wrong place wrong time.
  • Options
    jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    I'm glad he's getting support from his colleagues. Wrong place wrong time.

So am I. Well said.

Sadly, I can't think anyone new is going to be able to wave a magic wand. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    After a few days away from here it is incredibly sad to come back on here and see that the issue seems to have become so muddled and many posters being drawn into arguments that, really, aren't imo the important ones right now, often in reply to posters who have only joined since the Savile story broke (with one or two in particular standing out).

Messham - has either been nobbled, set up, or tricked many years ago by the police (to what end?) The other two accusers are both dead. He apologises unreservedly for NOT naming someone on TV. I draw my own conclusion here.

- On the same day (what a coincidence!) Mcalpine's lawyer gets involved, when his client has been named for (I think) about 17 years. What a coincidence.

- The BBC apologises and self-flagellates - again for NOT naming anyone.

- The focus has now shifted from the accused, to blaming the accusers. And the most prominent person to come forward has been (apparently) discredited and made a fool of - discouraging anyone else coming forward and putting themselves at further risk - how convenient.

All this said, what's done with Mcalpine is done. Those of us who want the truth and to stop these powerful paedophile rings raping and torturing our children NOW, now need to focus on other lines of enquiry that might actually lead somewhere, instead of indulging those who are muddying the waters.

I believe so yes - many of us who have followed from the beginning expected exactly this.

Look mate, lets get one thing straight. Common sense,intelligently reasoned argument and the like, we will "have no truck with here". This thread (with a few notable exemptions) consists mainly of, the bland leading the bland. One poster by the handle of sad bb addict, seems to post nothing but links to other sites, useful, if one has no search engine. P.S. For what it's worth I agree with everything you have said,and as for Mr M's recant, might I suggest the first option, as being the most likely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That guy who tweeted the morning of the newsnight story ?
    has he made any comments yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The John Humphrey's interview with George Entwistle on the Today Show
    http://audioboo.fm/boos/1051318-entwistle-i-am-doing-everything-i-can
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently this acting DG, Tim Davie, has no journalistic background and wasn't even considered in line to be the next DG as of a few months ago, they said he's purely from a corporate background (according to the BBC News channel a few minutes ago). I wonder how long he'll be in place as acting DG?. Whoever was talking on screen (can't remember who) emphasised that its a systemic failure the BBC are facing up to, so it will take a while to get to the bottom of, presumably implying replacing the DG won't 'fix it' (cringe at the JS related term :-/). Their saying his resignation is more to do with the Newsnight Welsh abuse scandal show than the JS angle though?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hydon wrote: »
    Look mate, lets get one thing straight. Common sense,intelligently reasoned argument and the like, we will "have no truck with here". This thread (with a few notable exemptions) consists mainly of, the bland leading the bland. One poster by the handle of sad bb addict, seems to post nothing but links to other sites, useful, if one has no search engine. P.S. For what it's worth I agree with everything you have said,and as for Mr M's recant, might I suggest the first option, as being the most likely.

Thank you for your support !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    moonburn wrote: »
    That guy who tweeted the morning of the newsnight story ?
    has he made any comments yet?

Don't think he has personally, but the trustees of the Bureau of Investigative Journalism released a statement.
  • Options
    pinkpowerrangerpinkpowerranger Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Aww I find your links really helpful :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member

That seemed a bit harsh. You have posted hundreds of links to keep the outline of the story going. Thanks :)
  • Options
    NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Apparently this acting DG, Tim Davie, has no journalistic background and wasn't even considered in line to be the next DG as of a few months ago (according to the BBC News channel a few minutes ago). I wonder how long he'll be in place as acting DG?.

Quite honestly the DG needs to be a top level businessman. There is enough media professionals in broadcasting in BBC what it needs to happen is someone who isn't bogged down in 'this is how we do it round here'. Someone like that will put in place a structure to allow the experts in their field to get on with their jobs but they know what they are accountable for & have clear lines of reporting.
  • Options
    sozzled2daysozzled2day Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George Entwistle said he was expecting a report on his desk by Sunday about the Newsnight fiasco - and yet he resigned the day before it was due? Does that mean he was 'persuaded' to step down immediately? And why doesn't Patten step down too? He's been the one singing Entwistle's praises ever since the JS Newsnight saga broke, bloody hypocrite. BBC Trust = oxymoron.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky News reporting Jeremy Paxman is "considering his future."
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I enjoy all your links BB and have read loads of them :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pina74 wrote: »
    Don't think he has personally, but the trustees of the Bureau of Investigative Journalism released a statement.

Aw thanks for that.
  • Options
    brancakebrancake Posts: 259
    Forum Member

Ignore him. Your effort re the links is awesome!:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member

well i'm grateful for you posting links sad b.b. just wish the uneasy feeling that someone seems to be spinning this right under our noses would go away, why haven't we got anyone with enough balls to get to the bottom of all this ? perhaps someone should bring this to michael moores attention , or is he only interested in u.s. murk?
  • Options
    sozzled2daysozzled2day Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. The thread moves so fast that I find your links really helpful. Don't stop!
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky News reporting Jeremy Paxman is "considering his future."

Did they get that from him or lift it from the Telegraph and reword it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9669681/George-Entwistle-quits-as-director-general-over-Newsnight-fiasco.html

A source close to Newsnight’s main presenter Jeremy Paxman said he had thought of quitting after the Savile fiasco and added: “After 20 years and at 62 he must now be considering his future.”
This discussion has been closed.