Options

Jimmy Saville to be revealed as a paedophile? (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your support !

Take no notice. That was really mean-spirited. I'm sure very few people agree with that view.

You're doing a fantastic job.
    'Chaaaarge!' :D;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Entwistle being interviewed on 5Live this morning.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p010y864
    He doesn't sound as clueless as in the Today interview, but clearly out of his depth.

He believed that the Newsnight editor should have total control with no "interference from management." This would usually be correct, and he didn't realise that this was an exception.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ignore him. Carry on ;posting the links.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Nosnikrapl wrote: »
    Quite honestly the DG needs to be a top level businessman. There is enough media professionals in broadcasting in BBC what it needs to happen is someone who isn't bogged down in 'this is how we do it round here'. Someone like that will put in place a structure to allow the experts in their field to get on with their jobs but they know what they are accountable for & have clear lines of reporting.

Quite. Someone (sorry, didn't catch who it was) was on BBC News a minute ago criticising Patten for poor succession planning for Thompson's exit and the fact that his shortlist of four had only one outside candidate.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosnikrapl wrote: »
    Quite honestly the DG needs to be a top level businessman. There is enough media professionals in broadcasting in BBC what it needs to happen is someone who isn't bogged down in 'this is how we do it round here'. Someone like that will put in place a structure to allow the experts in their field to get on with their jobs but they know what they are accountable for & have clear lines of reporting.

They definitely need someone who can reassure the public their in control and knows whats going on, thats without a doubt in my mind. I also heard on the news channel that the BBC is close to (Reuters may just overtake them?) the biggest press agency in the UK or something similar? (sorry I can't remember precisely). The BBC is international but I don't think the recent crisis has affected peoples views on it from overseas, yet(?).
    Me too. The thread moves so fast that I find your links really helpful. Don't stop!

I wholeheartedly agree. Anyway if your using a mobile phone it might be alot quicker and easier to follow links here rather than having to load a new tab and go via search engines...we don't always know when to look for new articles after all.
    pina74 wrote: »
    Quite. Someone (sorry, didn't catch who it was) was on BBC News a minute ago criticising Patten for poor succession planning for Thompson's exit and the fact that his shortlist of four had only one outside candidate.

I heard another rather ludicrous sounding statement from someone at the BBC who was being interviewed but didn't manage to catch it all in time. It went something along the lines of in years to come, we'll look back on all this in the same way as the discovery of the aztecs and incas hundreds of years ago... what the heck? :confused: sounded like a form of shrugging it off? maybe someone else heard it and can confirm the wording though but it sounded pretty random and peculiar to me. I guess I might be reading into things a bit much though but yes, strange.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Look I might not agree with the opinions of every link you supply some I will some I wont , but I would rather have the option of deciding than them not being there , so you link away.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The victims at the heart of this have now been completely overshadowed.
  • Options
    brancakebrancake Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    The victims at the heart of this have now been completely overshadowed.

I think they will have their day. Praying they will.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. I've been on Lawtel and found the case. The court of appeal decided that the insurer were unable to rely on the defences claimed on 26.1.06.The claimants therefore succeeded. So I am baffled as to why that article said what it did in November 2006. I searched for all cases heard by LJ Baker and was unable to find anything.

So you believe they all received their compensation in full from the insurers in the end, based on the fact that Bryn Alyn was no longer a going concern? Could you show me a source that confirms this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    moonburn wrote: »
    Aw thanks for that.

Don't thank me, t'was Sad_BB_Addict who posted the link earlier. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pina74 wrote: »
    Don't thank me, t'was Sad_BB_Addict who posted the link earlier. :)

This story moves to fast its impossible to keep up with the reporting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live reactions to Entwistle going
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20284126#TWEET351753
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brandon99 wrote: »
    So you believe they all received their compensation in full from the insurers in the end, based on the fact that Bryn Alyn was no longer a going concern? Could you show me a source that confirms this?

That FM is now inactive, thankfully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    This is the bit that slightly amuses me, the BBC never actually named him . nearly everyone else did .

No but the point is that they gave credence to the rumours, and added bravado to the internet chatterati who then ramped up their name and shame campaign on the basis that 'if Newsnight and the BBC think it's true, then we really are onto something'.

Sad about this for so many reasons.

Sad that Lord McAlpine has been so badly libelled and defamed for so many years (and I hate the Tories, not least Thatcherism, so find his politics vile).

Sad for Steve Messham on a personal level.

Sad for the other abuse victims whose cause has been set back by this.

Sad to see those who wish to bring the BBC to its knees being given powerful fuel for their cause (whatever you say, it's one of the best media institutions out there - just needs a major shake-up in terms of how it's run).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sun practises impeccable balanced journalism
    http://twitpic.com/bc4gdh

Murdoch never resigned, did he?
  • Options
    sozzled2daysozzled2day Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C4 News leads with Steve Messham not being the only victim to have misidentified. Mark Humphreys (who took his own life in 1995) was also told by police that the man in the photo was Lord McAlpine, his wife Wendy told C4 News.
    Do you have a link for that? I can't see anything on the CH4 website.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    George Entwistle said he was expecting a report on his desk by Sunday about the Newsnight fiasco - and yet he resigned the day before it was due? Does that mean he was 'persuaded' to step down immediately? And why doesn't Patten step down too? He's been the one singing Entwistle's praises ever since the JS Newsnight saga broke, bloody hypocrite. BBC Trust = oxymoron.

It seems the latest Newsnight fiasco was the final nail in the coffin for George although they didn't name names and have apologised. It may just be me being cynical but perhaps this is the end result that was wanted. Bloggers and journalists to back off and stop asking awkward questions, the new DG now sacked, all sorted, job done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Iain Overton‏ @iainoverton

Statement from Trustees of the Bureau of Investigative Journalism http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2012/11/10/statement-from-trustees-of-the-bureau-of-investigative-journalism

Seems like Angus Stickler, and maybe others, are going to be put to the sword...

Again, Stickler has done lots of fine work over the years... a shame, but probably inevitable.
  • Options
    NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    The BBC is international but I don't think the recent crisis has affected peoples views on it from overseas, yet(?).

BBC credibility overseas has been falling steadily over the years. There was a analysis done & it has moved down the rankings & is increasingly seen as 'another' liberal left media organisation. Sad really as it did have this status of unbiased worldwide media organisation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thing that's important to remember, when talking about How Steven Messham could have got his facts wrong - he's been through incredible trauma, back then and ever since - many memories will be a confused blur... very hard to expect him to remember who said/showed him what all those years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a link for that? I can't see anything on the CH4 website.

C4 News isn't on 4 OD yet, but a clip is.
    http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member

There are some of us hoping that the 'man upstairs' will resign him permanently in the not too distant future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    brandon99 wrote: »
    Thing that's important to remember, when talking about How Steven Messham could have got his facts wrong - he's been through incredible trauma, back then and ever since - many memories will be a confused blur... very hard to expect him to remember who said/showed him what all those years ago.

He seemed convinced it was Lord Mcalpine because police told him
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know anything about a Ken Livingstone radio interview this morning, in which he supposedly alluded to MI5 filming abuse at a care home?
  • Options
    NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Party time at Murdoch HQ. Mind you given the glee with which the BBC reported the phone hacking I suppose it was to be expected.
This discussion has been closed.