Time for ITV "This Morning" resignations

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they do.
    No they can't

It's not as if scandal is new to This Morning. John Leslie had to resign over some serious allegations. However, the show will continue,
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    It's not as if scandal is new to This Morning. John Leslie had to resign over some serious allegations. However, the show will continue,

You're right. I'm being sarcastic because apparently for ITV Schofield is Mr. Television.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Leslie's resignation was not related to anything that happened on the show.

He resigned because of allegations in the press about his private life.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    Leslie's resignation was not related to anything that happened on the show.

He resigned because of allegations in the press about his private life.

I don't think he was ever found guilty of anything either was he?
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's rarely any point sacking a presenter, besides satisfying those who always want blood in this situation and creating juicy headlines.

After it all dies down, they just end up presenting an almost identical programme on another channel.

If Schofield was sacked, he'd probably be hosting a new exciting morning magazine on BBC1 within 6 months!
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody has resigned from the BBC that was directly involved in libelling a former senior Tory as a pedophile. So why should people be expecting resignations from This Morning now?

In the Fr Kevin Reynolds case it took 8 -9 months before anyone resigned.

the OP is playing the lets create a distraction trick - thats what got NewsNight into such trouble in the first place - do these people learn nothing? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    It staggers me to discover Philip Schofield and This Morning's editor (who has ultimate responsibility for the programme's actions) are yet to resign over Schofield ambushing the Prime Minister on live television, with a list of names about whom Internet rumours of paedophilia had been made without evidence.

The stunt would have been bad enough even if the list hadn't been caught on camera.

Hopefully ITV's morals will kick in at some point, but I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes:

You can make that argument about the production team but why should a presenter have to resign for something he may well have been directed to do?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should praise This Morning for having the balls to ambush such questions on authority. Paxman & Co bottled it..
  • Options
    ukcarterukcarter Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Nobody has resigned from the BBC that was directly involved in libelling a former senior Tory as a pedophile. So why should people be expecting resignations from This Morning now?

Quite right. By analogy, it's Adam Crozier who's job's on the line isn't it?
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    You can make that argument about the production team but why should a presenter have to resign for something he may well have been directed to do?

That's why there needs to be a proper investigation. If Schofield was directed to do it, who's idea was it? If he wasn't, then what safeguards are there that he or another presenter won't do something similar again? Where are the controls?
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    That's why there needs to be a proper investigation. If Schofield was directed to do it, who's idea was it? If he wasn't, then what safeguards are there that he or another presenter won't do something similar again? Where are the controls?

Indeed, Schofe was only doing as instructed. It's the post 2009 era This Morning which has tarnished itself week after week with downmarket tosh and now this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should praise This Morning for having the balls to ambush such questions on authority. Paxman & Co bottled it..

Why? What response would you be expecting? Take everybody on your list - the one you spent a whole three minutes compiling - out and shoot them? Great justice.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't be ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukcarter wrote: »
    Quite right. By analogy, it's Adam Crozier who's job's on the line isn't it?

The BBC would be better putting its own house in order than chasing other media company ghosts. Havent they learnt nothing from the mess they themselves created by trying to smear their "opponents" in the Conservative Party?

I think the bigger issue is that the BBC is now aligned so strongly with left of centre political thought that longer term it will be unviable as it only identifies with half the population and despises a significant part of society because they dare to question it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the OP can tell us who was defamed by This Morning as I sure as hell cant tell you? Who is suing it? Nobody? Anyone?

Whilst what they did was clumsy and ill thought through it was not on the scale of NewsNights breach of standards

Oh and by the way this was NewsNights 2nd slip up - If we followed the NewsNight example, the first slip up got no one fired.

So just what is the OP up to - he hasnt made a strong case that the "crime" is any way of similar proportion. On that basis, I must conclude he is just trying to distract away from the core issues facing the BBC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Philip might not have wanted to do it... It could have been the Editor!
    if Philip does go I would like to see Dan Lobb take over!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When are we going to get a squeak out of the big Twit? He isn't usually so reticent.
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this all being blown up out of proportion? it seems that no one could see any names, even when on pause. Was it PS's idea, or was he just following instructions? Was the camera angle just a degree out? At the end of the day he asked if the names on list would be spoken to and investigated, is that not what everyone wanted? If the list is on the internet, then who put it there, one assumes someone from the public, the same public saying it's wrong! and whay is no one saying the cameraman.wonman should go for getting the wrong angle ?

Someone higher than PS, must have thought it was a good idea? which in theory you could argue it was ?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Whilst what they did was clumsy and ill thought through it was not on the scale of NewsNights breach of standards

Let ITV off, is that what you're saying?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I want him to go on both counts as the PM was ambushed and the list was libellous.

If nobody viewing saw the content (neither Cameron) then how was it libelous?
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He had the list on a 'this morning' card, there is no way he acted alone
    If anyone gets the sack, probably one of the production crew
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was still out of order, because effectively he was saying 'Go look on the internet and you can see innocent people being libelled' The fact he may have thought they were guilty is no defence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was still out of order, because effectively he was saying 'Go look on the internet and you can see innocent people being libelled' The fact he may have thought they were guilty is no defence.

More out of order was Cameron insinuating gay = pedophile.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What answer did you expect?

"Yeah, Phil. I know that numbers 2, 3 and 5 on your list are kiddle fiddlers and I've been keeping it a secret for years. You've got me there. Damn you and your investigative journalism skills."

Schofield actually asked "when are you going to interview them". Since when has it been the PM's job to interview alleged child abusers - that's what the police are there for. If Pip found the list after 3 minutes online it's a fair guess that the police have it too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's other news that has over shadowed this story, which 'this morning' will be delighted about.
    Hopefully Scoffy & the 'this morning' team will learn a harsh lesson here.
    I would've thought that the pm's team would've went mental at the people on 'this morning' as it was a deplorable thing to do & the fact it was wrong info.
    Scoffy is an embarrassment now, he just looks like a tit for doing what he did, there's no taking him seriously or the show for that matter, perhaps change in front & behind the camera is needed.