Options

The "All New" Gadget Show - 5th of November

Comments

• Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VincentH wrote: »
    Can we have a Gadget Show for grown-ups please?

Stephen Fry: Gadget Man looks like it might be quite good, starts on Monday at 8:30 on Channel 4.
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Stigid for posting the Grauniad article - sums up what was said months ago about this disaster of a tv show. Bradbury in mid-life crisis? Couldnt agree more.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I record the show and fast forward through most of it.

Takes about 10mins to watch.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Stephen Fry: Gadget Man looks like it might be quite good, starts on Monday at 8:30 on Channel 4.

Hmm, looks like it’ll be worth a watch.

And airing directly against The Gadget Show over on Channel 5, let the ratings battle commence! :D
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch it, but not any more.
    They seemed to be testing bloody mobile phones in every show
    Not EVERYONE has a mobile phone you know :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they had lost the plot when they reviewed something that cost £34,800!

Ridiculous! How many people can afford to pop out and by one of those for a laugh?

That is in no way catering from the majority of viewers. In fact most of the stuff they show are also ridiculous prices.
  • Options
    Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes now that does look like a fun programme. I shall be tuning in to that for sure.

This Gadget show is just a rich kids show.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,675
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D:D:D

All these people bigging up Stephen Fry's show about gadgets (before it's even aired) ought to know it's made by North One - the exact same company that makes The Gadget Show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Hmm, looks like it’ll be worth a watch.

And airing directly against The Gadget Show over on Channel 5, let the ratings battle commence! :D

If you're interested in seeing "high-end barbecues" tested on a show broadcasting in the winter, then look no further than Stephen Fry: Gadget Man.

He also invites his showbiz mates over to test "fancy kitchen gadgets" apparently. :yawn:

All sounds very Channel 4.
    The Gadget Show is still up on last series ratings wise with last night's show fetching just over a million inc. +1.

Stephen Fry's show will probably win the ratings battle just because of the name attached and the fact it's on C4 instead of C5 and they have a higher audience overall, but the kinds of "gadgets" they will be exploring on that show doesn't sound that appealing to me.

C4 shot themselves in the foot scheduling it at the same time as both shows will lose viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Dancc - if they made the Gadget Show in its previous life then they may be onto a winner with Mr Fry? Not sure how they lost the plot so badly however with the Bradbury Hour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    Well Dancc - if they made the Gadget Show in its previous life then they may be onto a winner with Mr Fry? Not sure how they lost the plot so badly however with the Bradbury Hour.
    If you watch for presenters alone then you might be onto a winner. Personally I watch for the gadgets and find Bradbury's enthusiasm suits the programme well. There's no rule which says they must not have fun with it. It's for a mainstream audience, not a few boring geeky types who want it all done in robotic fashion with spec sheets read out and such-like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Details of The All New Gadget Show Christmas Special have been confirmed:
    In this week’s Christmas cracker of the entertaining consumer show, presenters Jason Bradbury and Pollyanna Woodward set out to bring viewers the biggest pile of tech they have ever seen in one show, cramming in over 75 gadgets perfect for Christmas into 60 adrenaline-packed minutes!

Jason and Pollyanna are looking into some of the must-have gadgets on everyone’s shopping list this Christmas. First on their list is Apple’s latest foray into the tablet market – the iPad mini. Then they take to the skies in London’s Emirates Air Line cable car, bringing along the Amazon Kindle Fire HD to see how it fares.

Next they check out the latest gaming titles on the move in their bespoke gaming wagon, which is decked out with the latest consoles on multiple screens. Reviews include Nintendo’s brand new Wii U, Xbox 360’s Smart Glass, Halo 4, Forza Horizon, Call of Duty and PS3 slim, not to mention children’s games and the Playstation Playbook. From there, they are off to the circus to test the latest high-end televisions from Panasonic, Sony and Samsung – with the help of some jugglers, fire-breathers, motorcyclists and some very special budgies!

The fun continues with Jason and Polly next turning their attention to the latest gadgets for the home, including the Phillips Hue, the latest set top box called Youview and a very cool microwave called the Spoutnic!

They even have time to pack in a video-diary review of the latest smartphones, including the iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia 920 and HTC 1X+. Finally, they are off to Santa’s grotto where they ask a focus group of children to test a haul of toys, including the latest offerings from Hot Wheels, Furby and Attacknids, this year’s must-have fighting robot.

The televisual equivalent of a one-stop shop for all the best Christmas tech this year, ‘The All New Gadget Show’ guarantees there won’t be Clementine or a dodgy pair of socks in sight!

TX date and time: Monday 3rd December, 8pm, C5.

Sounds good, cramming a hell of a lot into a one hour programme. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough but its Stephen Fry for me - wonder how many hi-fives he'll be throwing (noone over 30 should be hi-5ing)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    Fair enough but its Stephen Fry for me - wonder how many hi-fives he'll be throwing (noone over 30 should be hi-5ing)!
    Noone over 30 should look like they are enjoying themselves whilst presenting an entertainment show on television, got it !!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D

All these people bigging up Stephen Fry's show about gadgets (before it's even aired) ought to know it's made by North One - the exact same company that makes The Gadget Show.

Indeed. Suzi told me this morning it's some friends of hers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The time has come the Walrus said..............thats for Dancc
  • Options
    fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    60 adrenaline-packed minutes!

does that include all the adds i wonder ?? polly not looking so glamorous this series .i record it and ff all the crap too.adrenaline-packed 20 minutes if your lucky :)
    just off to buy my 35k heliwotumacallit :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm back home now :)

Fry's show may well be made by the same people as The Gadget Show, but I suspect he'll have had some input into the content - they won't just produce a clone of the show on 5.

I'm looking forward to it actually. It clashes with TGS on 5, but I'd probably be willing to series link TGS in SD on another day if Fry's show is any good.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it actually. It clashes with TGS on 5, but I'd probably be willing to series link TGS in SD on another day if Fry's show is any good.

You could record it on SD on 5+1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could record it on SD on 5+1

I think i have two programs recording at 9pm on monday already so i couldn't do it then. if it comes to it, i'd just look it up on 5 on Demand.

we'll see - fry's show might be worse than TGS, which would be going some :)
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some glimmers of hope, but on the whole, not enjoying the show. We're in times of austerity and to be shown high end tech is pointless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »
    Some glimmers of hope, but on the whole, not enjoying the show. We're in times of austerity and to be shown high end tech is pointless.

They used to do "money no object" features in the original gadget show, but it was more of an occasional feature - now it seems to crop up more often than not.
  • Options
    DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like Polly (beyond the obvious reasons to like Polly) but I simply tolerate Jason - and I can only just do that. Otis and Suzi were fine, but for me Jon was the best presenter on the 'old' gadget show, despite not having much to do at times compared to the others. Jason should've been the first out in my view, but seems he's there until nuclear war breaks out.

All that said I still watch the show, though without any great concentration. But I have a special interest in Iceland so this week was always going to be enjoyable, despite Jason :p

I saw this advertised on 8 Out of 10 Cats - really have high hopes for it :cool:
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,726
    Forum Member
    I can absolutely guarantee that it will not be as geeky as a lot of people on here would like it to be; just as TGS isn't.
    I thought they had lost the plot when they reviewed something that cost £34,800!

Ridiculous! How many people can afford to pop out and by one of those for a laugh?

That is in no way catering from the majority of viewers. In fact most of the stuff they show are also ridiculous prices.
    Which is one of the very reasons I like the show.
    Dancc wrote: »
    If you're interested in seeing "high-end barbecues" tested on a show broadcasting in the winter, then look no further than Stephen Fry: Gadget Man.

He also invites his showbiz mates over to test "fancy kitchen gadgets" apparently. :yawn:

All sounds very Channel 4.
    And not unlike TGS.
  • Options
    twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant see Stephen Fry selling his soul for an Iphone 5,