Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 42)

Comments

• Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    No surprise but shame about Monroe, it really was thrown to the slaughter against New Tricks. No news on Homefront ? Surely they won't give that another go.

They can afford to axe both, given that there seems to be a lot of new & returning drama for ITV1 next year.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    Hoping Hollyoaks tops multichannel for tonight. Brillant triple death episode
    Probably one of the most satisfying deaths of a really unpopular character ever.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Probably one of the most satisfying deaths of a really unpopular character ever.

Somehow i think Hollys about to pick up the baton for that
  • Options
    Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contradicts this:
    http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2012/11/hunted-writing-staff-claire-wilson/
    but that does say 'potential' second series and talks were in the early stages.

Hunted is dead, Shine know they cannot shop this dead horse to another UK network, it had potential but a weak script, laughable talent with the exception of Patrick Malahide meant it was ratings chum from the start.

Ms George is not that well known outside of soapie circles and was a poor choice for Sam.

The trailer made it look fantastic but then again all the best bits were in it.:p
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,488
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    Abysmal night in general with nearly everything down from their last original airings (on 30th October - everything took an election break last week). Overall the big 4 were down over 20% from the same night last year. An alarming number of shows with ratings beginning with a 1.

NCIS is down 25% from last year. NCIS:LA was down 15% and Vegas was down a whopping 33% from the cancelled then revived Unforgettable.

FOX's 8pm hour averaged a 1.35. Both those shows actually have full season orders, believe it or not. For the hour, FOX was down 53% from the 2.9 Glee scored in that hour last year. At 9pm, New Girl was off 37%, The Mindy Project was down 23% from what Raising Hope did in that slot last year.

On ABC, Private Practice is really going out on a low note, DWTS continues to struggle and that 9pm hour is atrocious.

FX's Sons of Anarchy will likely have won the 10pm hour again.

Absolute carnage, quite frankly. :eek:

A disastrous night for ABC. Their contributions to the 9pm comedy wars have been totally humbled and dragged Private Practice down to a shocking end. It only goes to show the power of Modern Family for keeping those two sitcoms alive at all through last season. Tuesdays are going to need a complete re-think from the network, starting with a totally blank slate.

The Fox comedy block is suffering badly, too. They seem desperate to keep it open (hence the bewildering back-orders for Ben & Kate and The Mindy Project) but it's difficult to see how its sustainable with those figures. The danger is the block is dragging New Girl down with it...
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    TBH they spend so many years trying to shake off that image, I doubt they would ever go back to it. They need to build on their strength and expand into others.

I wonder if Shetland will air on Sundays after The Secret of Cricketly Hall? Cricketly Hall starts on the 18th and ends on the 1st December which would leave a gap of three weeks before Christmas week, I reckon Shetland could slot in nicely on the 9th and 16th December as it's a two parter,

There's another two parter (also 90 minutes each) that's meant to be airing late 2012, Restless http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/restless.html so that could follow Crickley Hall instead.

Restless, imo, looks like it would rate better than Shetland.
  • Options
    NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Good solid drama is what the BBC seem to specialize in. I think it's a grower. Some things hit the ground running others flop some like this remain steady. I think they have fond another very good returnable drama their.

Hunted on the other hand is a spectacular flop very rare for a BBC one drama to do that.

How do we think The Last Tango In Halifax will do next week. Looks like a strong cast. It's apparently a comedy drama. The ghost story thing on Sunday looks good but it has tough opposition. Both should launch with 5m but I doubt they will.

Ken

Spot on with Paradise. It was a bit slow in the first episode but has built up to a point that you have characters you really care about. It is now well set for a few series. I suspect if it had been on a Sunday the viewing figures would have been more. It would be worth a repeat for BBC next summer prior to next series.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    TBH they spend so many years trying to shake off that image, I doubt they would ever go back to it. They need to build on their strength and expand into others.

I wonder if Shetland will air on Sundays after The Secret of Cricketly Hall? Cricketly Hall starts on the 18th and ends on the 1st December which would leave a gap of three weeks before Christmas week, I reckon Shetland could slot in nicely on the 9th and 16th December as it's a two parter,
    There's another two parter (also 90 minutes each) that's meant to be airing late 2012, Restless http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/restless.html so that could follow Crickley Hall instead.

Restless, imo, looks like it would rate better than Shetland.

Strictly and SPOTY on the 16th I would have thought. SPOTY usually runs to about 2hrs and 15 minutes in quiet sporting years. This year there will be 2 extra nominees and I suspect an even longer show for obvious reasons.

Not looking forward to Shetland, it's from the same team/ production company (ITV studios) that bought us 'Vera':yawn: Both characters were created by the same author iirc.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,581
    Forum Member
    Emmers - 5010 + 349
    Football - 4228 + 876
    DIY SOS: CIN - 3886
    Palin - 3526
    Film 2012 - 877k
    Get Me Out Now - 939k
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An impressive 970k for Hollyoaks on E4, C4 only slightly above normal with 1.05m.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a438338/hollyoaks-wedding-deaths-bring-970k-to-e4.html
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC1 held up well against the England match. Which itself rated better than recent competitive matches - though I will never accept that 5m for an exclusive England match is anything like acceptable. Wonder if the early wrap up at 9.45 and hasty build up artificially helped the average. A 7-10 pm package would surely have been mid 4s.

Thought Palin would have been squeezed by The Hour. Looks like that didn't happen.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale moving to 6:45pm dented it quite a bit last night. Bigger than normal +1 audience though.

5.73m (26.3%) [+1 329k]

Tonight we have Emmerdale/Eastenders clash with Emmerdale getting the head start. Could be a severe denting for Eastenders with its current state of health.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm.

Disciplinary action on This Morning and OFCOM will be investigating that show and Newsnight.
    ITV reprimands This Morning's Phillip Schofield over names blunder

ITV has reprimanded This Morning host Phillip Schofield and three members of the show's production staff over the on-screen blunder that linked several Conservative politicians with allegations of child sex abuse.

On last Thursday's edition of This Morning, Schofield handed David Cameron a list of Tory politicians allegedly linked to child sex abuse, which he said he had found after three minutes of online research.

Both ITV and Schofield apologised later that day after some of the names on the list were identifiable by viewers. The presenter also attracted widespread criticism for handing the list to Cameron live on air.

The broadcaster said on Thursday that it had taken "appropriate disciplinary action" against Schofield and three members of production staff over the incident.

Schofield will front the show alongside regular co-host Holly Willoughby on Thursday.

A spokesman for ITV said that no member of staff had been suspended or sacked following an investigation immediately after last Thursday's programme. He declined to go into detail about the nature of the disciplinary action.

ITV said in a statement: "Last Thursday we began an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the mistake on that day's This Morning programme, for which both Phillip Schofield and ITV apologised.

"This investigation has now concluded and the appropriate disciplinary action has been taken. We sincerely apologise because the way in which the issue was raised was clearly wrong and should have been handled differently. We have taken steps to make sure our editorial processes are always properly followed, which was not the case in this instance, and to ensure such an error will not be made again."

ITV and the media regulator Ofcom received more than 250 complaints over the incident.

On Thursday, the solicitor representing the Tory peer mistakenly linked to allegations of child sex abuse confirmed that he would be writing to ITV about the This Morning incident.

Lord McAlpine described the false allegations as "devastating" and his lawyer confirmed they hoped to reach a libel settlement with the BBC later on Thursday over the botched Newsnight report that led to him being mistakenly linked to child sex abuse.

McAlpine's name was falsely linked to the scandal, after pre-publicity for the botched Newsnight programme on 2 November promised to out a senior politician as a paedophile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC1 held up well against the England match. Which itself rated better than recent competitive matches - though I will never accept that 5m for an exclusive England match is anything like acceptable. Wonder if the early wrap up at 9.45 and hasty build up artificially helped the average. A 7-10 pm package would surely have been mid 4s.

Thought Palin would have been squeezed by The Hour. Looks like that didn't happen.

Masterchef - 2551
    The Hour - 1296

outside of tournament play why would ANY England match rate above 5-7m?
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Masterchef - 2551
    The Hour - 1296

No third series then :(, a real shame, it's an excellent series that deserves much more than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Masterchef - 2551
    The Hour - 1296

I think The Hour is down on series 1. Does that rating include BBC HD? Also do you have a rating for Secret State Mike?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No third series then :(, a real shame, it's an excellent series that deserves much more than that.

The Dour really isn't as good as it thinks it is. All style over substance. It should be better but it just isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I think The Hour is down on series 1. Does that rating include BBC HD? Also do you have a rating for Secret State Mike?

I only have BBC2 ratings, so no idea what figure for BBC HD is

869k for Secret State, I'm guessing that's v v poor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only have BBC2 ratings, so no idea what figure for BBC HD is

869k for Secret State, I'm guessing that's v v poor

That is very poor for Secret State as that's down on last week. More people should watch as it's very good. I think it's scheduled all wrong myself. That's excluding +1 isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is very poor for Secret State as that's down on last week. More people should watch as it's very good. I think it's scheduled all wrong myself. That's excluding +1 isn't it?

just for you here's the 1+ figs - 82k

for those that are interested
    Grand Designs - 2408
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Masterchef - 2551
    The Hour - 1296

Past precedent?

If matches on BBC1 got 8-11m, even friendlies (nay, even Exeter City once brought in 10m), then why should ITV matches be getting 3-5m?

As for The Hour, I imagine it will have done well on HD, given it's "all style". With consolidation, it could get to or past 2m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm.

Disciplinary action on This Morning and OFCOM will be investigating that show and Newsnight.

Slap on wrists at worst. Let's hope Ofcom show some teeth...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Past precedent?

If matches on BBC1 got 8-11m, even friendlies (nay, even Exeter City once brought in 10m), then why should ITV matches be getting 3-5m?

As for The Hour, I imagine it will have done well on HD, given it's "all style". With consolidation, it could get to or past 2m.

"Past precedent?" - 8 years ago you mean

Exeter?
    competitive match
    FA Cup match
    Man Utd match

completely different to the lack of empathy for England post Steve Maclaren in friendly matches

8-11 million is very wishful thinking, whether as speculation or mischief
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Slap on wrists at worst. Let's hope Ofcom show some teeth...

I'd love to know what jumped up fine or punishment Ofcom could come up

Handing the PM a piece of paper - £250k
    Allowing names to be seen - £250k

of course if this was the old days

IRA documentary questioning a shoot to kill policy - loss of ITV licence to for London franchise

that seemed fair :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    Hoping Hollyoaks tops multichannel for tonight. Brillant triple death episode
    Hollyoaks was amazing tonight. It's really putting the other soaps to shame at the moment. I hope it stays above a million all week for Channel 4, and that the E4 first look gets a decent 700k+.

Hollyoaks seems to be in a rich vein of form by all accounts. It won Best Continuing Drama at The Writer's Guild Awards last night.
This discussion has been closed.