Options

Clive Dunn has died

Comments

• Options
    MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did all his own stunts on Dads Army. He had worked in a circus as a youth and was a very versatile acrobat.
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Clive Dunn.

Thanks for some great comedy - you (and the other cast members) really made me laugh out loud and long!!
  • Options
    MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incredible stuff...not involving Jonesy but....

Nazi pilot: If you don't put that gun down, I will shoot you!
    Cpt. George Mainwaring: And if you don't put that gun down, I will shoot you!
    Nazi pilot: I give you one last warning!
    Cpt. George Mainwaring: And I give you one last warning!
    Nazi pilot: One!
    Cpt. George Mainwaring: One!
    Nazi pilot: Two!
    Cpt. George Mainwaring: Two!
    Nazi pilot: Three!
    Cpt. George Mainwaring: Three! If you shoot me, there are seven men to take my place!
    Sgt. Arthur Wilson: Did you know that German's gun was empty, sir?
    Cpt. George Mainwaring: As a matter of fact, Wilson, so was mine!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Its a tribute to Clive that he and his fellow Dad's Army actors continue to entertain people so many years after the programmes were made.

Last Saturday's repeat on BBC 2 pulled in more than 2m viewers.

Dad's Army - an enduring BBC success story and you were a major part of it Mr Dunn or should that be Corporal Jones?

:):):)
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Loved him in Dad's Army, and loved him in "Grandad" too.

Can't believe he was only 48 when Dad's Army started.

R.I.P Clive, thanks for the laughs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be only 26 but Dad's Army is one of my favourite shows :D

It's a sad day :mad:
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad to hear that Clive has died, but he did live to a good age and left behind a great legacy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now will the BBC please please finally release a box set on Grandad!
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Well said, I find myself very sad at the news, although he's had a good innings and, from most accounts, a pretty happy life. But Clive Dunn was a figure I remember from my childhood and I will always have very happy memories of him and the shows he was in.

My thoughts exactly Cadiva.

RIP Clive.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dads Army was brilliant. I think Ian Lavender is the only surviving cast member left?
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Dads Army was brilliant. I think Ian Lavender is the only surviving cast member left?

No, there are 4 left including Ian Lavender.

See Verence's post 48 for the list.....
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Lady wrote: »
    Well he was Jack Jones, the butcher, so not retiring age. Also, wasn't his Dad featured in an episode in the first series?

R.I.P Clive Dunn :(

Eric Woodburn appeared as his father, George Jones, in episode 2 of the first series, ''Museum Piece''.He was caretaker of the Peabody Museum of Historic Army Weapons.The programme was first screened in April, 1968,to an audience of 6.8 million.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowieboy wrote: »
    Captain Mainwaring,Private Pike...Good that you have actually watched the show!
    RIP Clive you made us laugh!

The actor who played Private Pike (Ian Lavender) is still acting, has been in Eastenders I believe among other progs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »

As early said, no a few are still around, including the vicar, who I saw in panto in Hastings a few years ago, and The warden, and of course the wonderful Mrs Fox
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP! I can't believe that Clive Dunn was only 51 when he done the Grandad song, he hadn't changed much at all............
  • Options
    Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news as he was great, but I have to admit that I thought he died years ago!
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem when an actor is a show that is constantly repeated dies, a tribute episode seems rather hollow. They would be better doing something on the lines they did for David Croft, but I suppose that would go hand in hand with an episode anyway,

I always wondered whether he was able to have much anonymity with his looks, assuming he wore wigs and was heavily made up to look older. In the end he grew in to them, so no-one would really notice how different he was in his younger days.

Note how much David Jason would turn into Blanco from 'Porridge', playing an old man when he was still in his 20s. Now he has white hair and is around that age of that character.

Wilfred Brambell's look in real life was so much different, the BBC drinking clubs refused him entry.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Well said, I find myself very sad at the news, although he's had a good innings and, from most accounts, a pretty happy life. But Clive Dunn was a figure I remember from my childhood and I will always have very happy memories of him and the shows he was in.

Very nicely put.

I remember Dad's Army the first time around and it will always be one of my favourite sitcoms so to hear that one of the cast members has died is sad news even if, in reality, it is likely to occur with someone in their nineties.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_G wrote: »
    Sad news as he was great, but I have to admit that I thought he died years ago!

It's terrible, but so did I! Mainly because he played the part of a much older man so well. So in weird way it's a credit to his skills that I really thought he was that he was that old in the 70's!
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Wilfred Brambell's look in real life was so much different, the BBC drinking clubs refused him entry.

Frank Kelly still got recognised in the street despite the make up used to turn him into Father Jack. You can really change the face too much
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Clive Dunn. Fond memories of watching Dad's Army years ago as a kid and occasionally on Saturday nights these days when trying to avoid the X Factor. A great actor, legendary character. That's what we all think of him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack Haig was the first choice to play Jones but he turned it down.Dunn hesitated over the role so David Croft approached David Jason who accepted . Meanwhile over lunch the same day Bill Cotton persuaded Dunn to take the part and at 3 pm Jason was out !

Dad's Army, Graham McCann,Fourth Estate 2002
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,516
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Eric Woodburn appeared as his father, George Jones, in episode 2 of the first series, ''Museum Piece''.He was caretaker of the Peabody Museum of Historic Army Weapons.The programme was first screened in April, 1968,to an audience of 6.8 million.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have I missed the BBC tribute to Clive ? He was a stalwart of Dad's Army and other BBC programmes. The BBC were terribly slow in producing anything to mark the death of David Croft, I don't think a repeat of one episode of Dad's Army will suffice. I'm sure they did tributes to Arthur Lowe and John Le Mesurier.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Have I missed the BBC tribute to Clive ? He was a stalwart of Dad's Army and other BBC programmes. The BBC were terribly slow in producing anything to mark the death of David Croft, I don't think a repeat of one episode of Dad's Army will suffice. I'm sure they did tributes to Arthur Lowe and John Le Mesurier.

The BBC 2 announcer last week, just before the Dad's Army repeat, said there'd be a tribute to Clive around Christmas time.