Options

Did there used to be more swearing on the show?

StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Young Apprentice really gets me for this. You have them coming out with expressions where theyre obviously avoiding using swear words like Maria's 'Flip me this is posh' last week.

But even in the adult Apprentice swear words are bleeped out, arent they? I'm pretty sure in earlier seasons of the show they left them in leading to some amusing exchanges.

The edits have maybe become more controlled over time, after how the X Factor is presenting itself this year I'm not sure I believe in the natural filming of any reality shows anymore.

Am I misremembering or didnt they swear a lot more in previous years?

Comments

• Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it was the move from BBC2 to BBC1 that did it? I can't really remember there ever being much swearing in the Apprentice, but it would probably make sense if there was more when it was being shown to smaller audiences.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Er, this is a kids version. Broadcast before the watershed. I also don't remember much swearing in the adult version. Not that I wouldn't like to hear the kids effing and jeffing, it would be funny.... Also how about Sugar saying stuff like 'You're fired, you little tw*t,'
  • Options
    topdog2006topdog2006 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    There's never been any swearing in the junior version. But the OP is right, in the first few series of the adult version there was a lot of swearing, which was never censored.
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the previous series of Young Apprentice were on at 9pm like the adult version, and this is the first series on before the Watershed, so they have to edit them out. I'm sure they swear from time to time in footage that isn't broadcast, in fact I remember someone mentioning it in one of the episodes. (They said something like, 'You kept on shouting and swearing throughout the day' or something like that... I can't remember who it was or what the context was.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember that too George.

They seam to have taken the strange decision to completely edit out any swearing rather than bleep it.

I can't imagine what they would do if I was in there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't bleep this out!

'Go on hit me then' Hehe, what a plum :)
  • Options
    TXF0429TXF0429 Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robokitten wrote: »

I'm not sure why they didn't. In the first five series, they could swear as much as they liked and it wouldn't get bleeped out. From Series 6 onwards, they started bleeping any swearing out.

Obviously, this series of Young Apprentice is before the watershed, so they wouldn't be able to show any swearing anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TXF0429 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why they didn't. In the first five series, they could swear as much as they liked and it wouldn't get bleeped out. From Series 6 onwards, they started bleeping any swearing out.

Obviously, this series of Young Apprentice is before the watershed, so they wouldn't be able to show any swearing anyway.

Although, just occasionally they get away with swearing on TV before the watershed. I heard swearing in Tracy Beaker once...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tracy Beaker?!? Yikes. Eastenders seam to have a swear allowance of about 3 swear words a year which is ridiculous given some of the situations on the show and given that the show is on four times a week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    No, it's just that in Walford 'flaming heck' 'and 'flipping wally' are considered very rude things to say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just watched some of that series back (very briefly) thanks to your link! :)

Can't believe they use to swear so much :eek: I can't remember them ever swearing, which is bizarre. Then again, I don't see what's wrong with swearing, so when swear words are used on TV once or twice an episode, it doesn't particularly stand out.

I can't believe I stumbled across the Joanna and Jamie clip on You're Fired! :D

"Jamie! Jamie! What you thinkin', Jamie?" :D Definitely one of the best moments in the history of The Apprentice!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tracy Beaker?!? Yikes. Eastenders seam to have a swear allowance of about 3 swear words a year which is ridiculous given some of the situations on the show and given that the show is on four times a week.

It's in the fourth episode of Tracy Beaker Returns Series 3... a character says, 'It made me feel sh*t'. The subtitles said, 'It made me feel sick', but that isn't how it sounded. Incidentally my all-time favourite episode of TBR, but not because of that.
  • Options
    Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good old Baggsy. What a bellend.

I seem to recall that when he got the boot, mainly for lying i think, it was pretty perfunctory & over before we realised, while I was looking forward to a lingering humiliation with Sugar ripping him a new one. I'd love to see what was edited out of that.
  • Options
    BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If memory serves, the watershed got temporarily moved back from 9PM to 10PM at around the time Series 5 was on the air. Obviously by the time of Series 6 it had been restored to 9PM, unfortunately for Baggs the Brand. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BigDaveX wrote: »
    If memory serves, the watershed got temporarily moved back from 9PM to 10PM at around the time Series 5 was on the air. Obviously by the time of Series 6 it had been restored to 9PM, unfortunately for Baggs the Brand. :p

But there was swearing in Series 5... who could forget Yasmina defending the use of sandalwood? 'No, half of... shit.'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Er, this is a kids version. Broadcast before the watershed. I also don't remember much swearing in the adult version. Not that I wouldn't like to hear the kids effing and jeffing, it would be funny.... Also how about Sugar saying stuff like 'You're fired, you little tw*t,'

How about sugar saying, http://bit.ly/11vVDfT :o
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think thats something else. Young Apprentice is a 'kids' version but all the kids on it are old enough to get married...

I didnt realise until I saw the ad today that it was on pre-watershed this year, I normally catch it up on iPlayer of a Friday night or on Saturdays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about sugar saying, http://bit.ly/11vVDfT :o

Ha, hadn't seen this before. I can't work out if he actually threw a drink over that guy? Bit harsh if he did!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Ha, hadn't seen this before. I can't work out if he actually threw a drink over that guy? Bit harsh if he did!

That was a 16 year old boy. The story was in The Sun newspaper and Sugar was slagging the boy off on Twitter for selling his story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a 16 year old boy. The story was in The Sun newspaper and Sugar was slagging the boy off on Twitter for selling his story.

He's such a charming man...I think the good Lady Sugar really needs to try and coax old Alan away from Twitter - it does him no favours at all!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's such a charming man...I think the good Lady Sugar really needs to try and coax old Alan away from Twitter - it does him no favours at all!

He is a bit addicted to Twitter, isn't he?