Options

The Secret of Crickley Hall (BBC1)

Comments

• Options
    princesarock12princesarock12 Posts: 1,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great drama, as usual this thread is being very pedantic :o

Brilliant cast too, love the guy from Misfits :) It was so sad at the end, so glad they changed the book ending, that was horrific :(
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,064
    Forum Member
    Question: Did that git killer abduct and kill the couples son too?

Also anyone else find it odd that they buried their son their too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Chacun à son goût, I suppose, but the extravagant praise this show has had here really surprises me. My partner and I were struck throughout by its sour, nihilistic tone, heavy-handedness and implausibility (especially in the casting, from the ill-matched leading pair and their children to the ridiculous current ages of Donald Sumpter and David Warner's characters, 'Gordon' and Percy). To save the trouble of enumerating all the faults, I hand over to the "Telegraph" critic, Gerard O'Donovan:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9714947/The-Secret-of-Crickley-Hall-BBC-One-review.html

With James Herbert, the BBC really are scraping the bottom of the barrel. If they're going to spend their precious resources on combining the supernatural and period recreations, they might as well go the whole Victorian/Edwardian hog and tackle Algernon Blackwood, Sheridan le Fanu and M R James - as they used so wonderfully to do at this season in Lawrence Gordon Clark's versions:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/nov/30/ghost-stories-for-christmas-boxset ).
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »

Also anyone else find it odd that they buried their son their too?

The death of the couple's son was an accident.

They buried their son next to Stefan because their son's body was discovered following information provided during their stay at the Hall. We don't know where Stefan was buried: I agree it would have been odd to have buried the son far from where they lived.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    The death of the couple's son was an accident.

They buried their son next to Stefan because their son's body was discovered following information provided during their stay at the Hall. We don't know where Stefan was buried: I agree it would have been odd to have buried the son far from where they lived.

How? He was taken by someone in the first episode but I can't remember the face of the person.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How? He was taken by someone in the first episode but I can't remember the face of the person.

No, he wasn't taken by anyone. Eve fell asleep, then woke up and found him gone.

Maybe what you saw was a flashback?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Why does augusta speak in a German accent when talking to the vicar (when he gets found out) but earlier in the series speaks in an english accent?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toymaker wrote: »
    If they're going to spend their precious resources on combining the supernatural and period recreations, they might as well go the whole Victorian/Edwardian hog and tackle Algernon Blackwood, Sheridan le Fanu and M R James -

God, no. I love these authors, but I'm so bored with TV/radio adaptations of their works that it's not funny. New blood is needed. Even lesser known names of their time will do. Like Oliver Onions or Amelia Edwards.

James Herbert is okay, but at least he's new to TV, which is nice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 questions

Was it common for people to speak German during the war?

How was Cribben able to tell the medium where Cam's body was?
  • Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was brilliant. Great Sunday night entertainment. Ended up downloading the book. Well done to all involved, was especially impressed with the two little girls who played Loren and callie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    No, he wasn't taken by anyone. Eve fell asleep, then woke up and found him gone.

Maybe what you saw was a flashback?

What I remember is her falling asleep, then i was wondering that as the boy was being taken away by a bloke, was it part of her dream or not and it wasn't. I'l have to try and rewatch it if they keep it on i player.
  • Options
    Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I still don't get why the police of 1943 didn't bother looking down the well when they recovered the children from the cellar. :confused:

The well was built over an underground river, was it not? So anything going down the well would get carried off to sea?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember David Warner being in Twin Peaks and he played Bob Cratchet in a Christmas Carol. He's a fine actor.

He was also in the Omen and came to a grisley end
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Z Stardust wrote: »
    The well was built over an underground river, was it not? So anything going down the well would get carried off to sea?

Nancy’s body was wedged in there so it would seem not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Z Stardust wrote: »

It's possible. I don't remember anyone saying it was over a river, but I may have missed it. Thanks.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some questions I was left with were:

Cribben seems to be stuck in that house, before and after he died, first because if his mental health and his spirit in death. So how did he know where Cams body could be found? He had no connection to Cam.

Why was Magda and Maurice out searching for him that night when he was presumably in the house drugging the children and then carrying them one by one into the cellar to gass them to death very very quickly.

Why didn't Nancys ghost help the children? Why did she only pop up right at the end, and why discomposed?

If Steffan got a new family and changed his name, why did he have his old name in his gravestone? (I'm going by memory on this one so I could be wrong)

Why would anyone leave their wife and children alone with a complete stranger in the house?

Why in earth would Nancy ask Cribben to come with them!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fickrick wrote: »
    He was also in the Omen and came to a grisley end

I didn't realise it was him and I often think abouth that great film too!
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have bought the book today but I am going to skim over the horrible stuff about Stefan and imagine the ending from the drama!
  • Options
    Locarno1Locarno1 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Watched the final episode last night! I have really enjoyed this little series! Scary yes but very interesting and intriguing!

A few questions I have though, and sorry if they are basic..

1. Why did Cribbens actually decide to kill the children by gassing/poisoning them? Did the Vicar understand/realise what Cribbens was doing to those children? What made him decide that he should kill all of them? How did he know the flood was coming..?

2. Why was Magda upset at the end? I thought she was going along with what was going on and knew everything that was going on..

3. How did the flood start and get into the house? a door open? Window?

4. I assume the 'skeleton' in the well pointing upto the older Maurice was Nancy? No? I thought it was pretty horrible that Skeleton...

5. Cribbens couldn't move after he fell from the balcony, I assume that's because he landed on his back/head and therefore paralysed and couldn't move?

6. What was Magda doing at the end? She was just staring straight forward? Was she still alive there, or...

Nice one of Stefan to hit him with the cane on his fingers though! I'm glad Stefan had a nice ending! :)

Thanks,
  • Options
    Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apparently not [though I think Maurice trying to satisfy Cribbens' 'lust' for children by kidnapping random tykes and 'feeding' that well could have been cool, but very dark twist].

Excellent conclusion though. It made me :cry: up.

Very glad Stephen managed to have a life. :) Unlike the book... :(

I thought Nancy's 'They're mine' quip made her no better than Cribben really, though. Should've been something more along the lines of freedom or something I felt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh, questions. I'm bored so thanks for giving us a chance to put forward our answers/guesses! :D
    kat180 wrote: »
    Some questions I was left with were:

Cribben seems to be stuck in that house, before and after he died, first because if his mental health and his spirit in death. So how did he know where Cams body could be found? He had no connection to Cam.

Why was Magda and Maurice out searching for him that night when he was presumably in the house drugging the children and then carrying them one by one into the cellar to gass them to death very very quickly.

Why didn't Nancys ghost help the children? Why did she only pop up right at the end, and why discomposed?

If Steffan got a new family and changed his name, why did he have his old name in his gravestone? (I'm going by memory on this one so I could be wrong)

Why would anyone leave their wife and children alone with a complete stranger in the house?

Why in earth would Nancy ask Cribben to come with them!?

1. To get the parents (Eve and Gabe) out of the house, I guess?
    2. Magda was panicking and perhaps she thought he had left the hall without her.
    3. As a ghost, what can she do to help the kids? She came up because he killed her? She was decomposed because she'd been in the water.
    4. I raised that question earlier. Maybe the director thought Stefan's real name should be there because we wouldn't know who he was if his new name was used on the gravestone. On the other hand, now the truth came out, his family maybe decided to destroy the old gravestone for a new one with his real name on it? Who knows?
    5. I know! Really daft, I thought.
    6. Why not? It fit in with her character. She believed in compassion and redemption.
    Locarno1 wrote: »
    Watched the final episode last night! I have really enjoyed this little series! Scary yes but very interesting and intriguing!

A few questions I have though, and sorry if they are basic..

1. Why did Cribbens actually decide to kill the children by gassing/poisoning them? Did the Vicar understand/realise what Cribbens was doing to those children? What made him decide that he should kill all of them? How did he know the flood was coming..?

2. Why was Magda upset at the end? I thought she was going along with what was going on and knew everything that was going on..

3. How did the flood start and get into the house? a door open? Window?

4. I assume the 'skeleton' in the well pointing upto the older Maurice was Nancy? No? I thought it was pretty horrible that Skeleton...

5. Cribbens couldn't move after he fell from the balcony, I assume that's because he landed on his back/head and therefore paralysed and couldn't move?

6. What was Magda doing at the end? She was just staring straight forward? Was she still alive there, or...

1. I think he decided he would be safe if there would be no one left to testify against him if the vicar did carry out his threat.
    2. Murder was a hanging offence. She didn't care about the kids. It was her brother she cared about and so, the idea of him getting hanged left her catatonic (as you see from when Maurice found her against a tree)
    3. Under doors and through old air vents under windows on ground floor, I'd imagine?
    4. Yes, Nancy. She was bloated because of the water.
    5. I think his neck or back was broken.
    6. Someone (Percy, I think) said Magda's mind was gone since that night, but the psychic guessed Magda had recovered, but pretended she was still catatonic.

I hope someone else has better or more interesting answers.
  • Options
    jw2011jw2011 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a brilliant series. I recorded all three and watched them on Sunday night so I wouldn't have to wait for the next ep. Great stuff - wish the BBC did a few more like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan-Bevis wrote: »
    Apparently not [though I think Maurice trying to satisfy Cribbens' 'lust' for children by kidnapping random tykes and 'feeding' that well could have been cool, but very dark twist].

He almost did, but later. :D Maurice believed having the daughter as his replacement would mean he would not be hounded by Cribbens for the rest of his life and in his afterlife.

But yeah, I agree Maurice had nothing to do with Cam's disappearance and death.
  • Options
    junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    The tombstone on Stefan's grave showed he died in 2009.

Dogs are believed to see ghosts - it was certainly very spooked by the house, so was safer out of it.

Amazing how people choose to believe that they are safe with someone who claims to be a ghosthunter.

ahh thanks for that, must be seeing things, that clears that up then

yeah I get the dog was scared but why didn't he tell them he would look after him instead of give them something else to worry about.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    junipaire wrote: »
    Did I see though at the end the Suranne Jones character visiting Stafans grave and said 1943 died, I thought he survived, I maybe made a mistake but thought it said Stefan. Which I didn't get.

Didn't really understand the dognapping bit and why not explain, That creepy Morris character too, would you leave you kids in a house with someone you know nothing about and only met about an hour before.

On the gravestone it said he died in 2009.