Options

Cleaning up after a horse....?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
Forum Member
There are laws about people cleaning up after their dog messes on the pavement, but is there any law about horses? There are 2 women who regularly ride their horses round the estate where I live and they let their horses poo all over the pavements. I have to walk my 2 children plus my baby in pram to school and we are always having to avoid it. It's even worse when it rains and it just spreads everywhere. I know it's not a pleasant subject but does anyone know? It's getting horrendous.

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    where would they put it? horse poo doesn`t carry any disease, some people scrape it up for the garden and how would you stop a horse from crapping till you got home?
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayBird78 wrote: »
    There are laws about people cleaning up after their dog messes on the pavement, but is there any law about horses? There are 2 women who regularly ride their horses round the estate where I live and they let their horses poo all over the pavements. I have to walk my 2 children plus my baby in pram to school and we are always having to avoid it. It's even worse when it rains and it just spreads everywhere. I know it's not a pleasant subject but does anyone know? It's getting horrendous.

Get a spade and bucket! Horse poo is briliant for the garden.....free manure!
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horse poo is not unpleasant, just chewed grass and great for the garden. When my mum was a wee girl she was sent out to pick up horse poo of the road for my grandfathers wee market garden.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't find it pleasant...it's grim and I wouldn't want my kids walking through it. And why can't they ride the horse on the road rather than the pavement? Surely that's not right either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't find it pleasant...it's grim and I wouldn't want my kids walking through it. And why can't they ride the horse on the road rather than the pavement? Surely that's not right either.
    ask them?
    i`ve never ridden on the pavement or seen anyone else do it ever. it`s a bit difficult to not notice a pile of horse shit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen a horse on a pavement. Do you live in Royston Vasey?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol no...quiet little town in Staffordshire...I never see them when am out I just see them ride past my house. Am sure there are more exciting places to ride round here rather than through a housing estate. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Completely agree with you about this - write to your local paper, which is what I did about a particular beauty spot being ruined by thoughtless riders and it did the trick :)
    where would they put it? horse poo doesn`t carry any disease, some people scrape it up for the garden and how would you stop a horse from crapping till you got home?

The horse can be fitted with a bag, the same bag that is used for tournaments because the tournament organisers don't want horse crap everywhere either.

Of course it carries diseases just as any waste product that has sat in intestines and bowels before being passed does - that's how the whole system works: via bacterial breakdown. Last person that said that to me (and stated the same was true with rabbit excrement - stating it was just grass), I invited her to pick some up and rub it all over her face, if she believed it was just grass. Oddly enough, she declined to prove her point.
    benjamini wrote: »
    Horse poo is not unpleasant, just chewed grass and great for the garden. When my mum was a wee girl she was sent out to pick up horse poo of the road for my grandfathers wee market garden.

Children would also, at one time, be sent out with buckets to collect dog poo for the local tanist to use to stain leather - didn't make it a wise thing to do once we understood the nature of things.

No, it isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horses are herbivores and as such carry very little bacteria unlike dogs.
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pick it up yourself if it bothers you
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen a horse on a pavement. Do you live in Royston Vasey?

They are quite common in the villages around me, they do cause a lot of mess on the cycle paths here.
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see them here on the road, mind you even people walk on the road because the pavements are full of wheelie bins, recycling boxes and cars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horses are herbivores and as such carry very little bacteria unlike dogs.

I thought it carried tetanus bacteria.
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I think horse riders should carry with them some kind of elongated poop a scoop which they can use whilst sitting on the horse. At least they could then toss most of the poo into a nearby hedge row or to the side of a road - better still take it home with them and dispose of it themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's missing cyclists and Avon catalogues...Bloody Avon woman riding her horse, left a catalogue I didn't want then killed a cyclist who was cycling on the pavement without lights and then sh*t on the pavement. The horse wasn't impressed with her lack of bowel control.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it carried tetanus bacteria.

Tetanus is most commonly found in earth so gardens hold more of a risk than an avoidable pile of horse poo:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CloneClown wrote: »
    I think horse riders should carry with them some kind of elongated poop a scoop which they can use whilst sitting on the horse. At least they could then toss most of the poo into a nearby hedge row or to the side of a road - better still take it home with them and dispose of it themselves.

how would they carry it?

i stand corrected on disease.

it`s an offence to ride on the pavement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tetanus is most commonly found in earth so gardens hold more of a risk than an avoidable pile of horse poo:eek:

Higher concentrations in manure though. Also contains resistant e-coli.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry I am new here...did not realise there had been other threads about this. There are some scary people on here! Thanks to those who have answered supportively. I don't believe those that think horse poo is clean would want it walked through their house and over their kids shoes.
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    how would they carry it?

i stand corrected on disease.

it`s an offence to ride on the pavement.

Attach it to the side of the saddle in some sort of holder so that in hangs down from the horse. Then they can just lift it out of holder to use - the scooper could be compacted/extended by pushing and pulling it respectively.

I think I should go on Dragons Den. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dog poo is also avoidable - but if dog owners are required to clean up after their dogs then so should horse owners. All it takes it to fit a bag to the horse and the problem is solved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Higher concentrations in manure though. Also contains resistant e-coli.

Friend of mine has stables and hand pick poo, the large bits out of the horse boxes. Are we not vacinated against tetanus anyway.? I got e coli from chicken once. My children got compylo bactor from dog poo, never anything fromm horses tho.