Options

Sitcoms/episodes set entirely in one location

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One set or few set episodes are called 'bottle shows' - cheap to make (but doesn't mean bad).

One Foot in The Grave - in a car on a motorway.

Did 'My Family' have one all in a tube train as a Christmas special?

I know it's cheating a bit but this link has a superb list:-

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=29610.0
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Smoking Room never left the Smoking Room.

What I came here to say. So underrated, that series!
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steptoe and Son rarely left the house / yard
  • Options
    djleekeedjleekee Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one that springs to mind for me is Time Gentlemen Please.

Most episodes set entirely in the pub. But there was one episode where the whole episode was set in the hospital (and was one of my favourites!)

Cant beleive Sky 3+1 arent showing repeats of it!
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I suppose when you think about it most sitcoms while they do have other locations must be set 90% in a main base more often than not the family home/workplace

Are You Begin Served? rarely left the department and even when they did it was usually just to another part of the store .

On The Buses was mostly either in the Bus Depot or in the Butler household very rare it wasn't one of those 2 locations
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Rising Damp

Mainly, but i remember Rigsby taking Miss Jones to a restaurant once.
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Alan Partridge's 'Mid Morning Matters'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does stuff like Hi-De-Hi count as it rarely left the camp but the camp was big so has many different locations
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose when you think about it most sitcoms while they do have other locations must be set 90% in a main base more often than not the family home/workplace

Are You Begin Served? rarely left the department and even when they did it was usually just to another part of the store .

On The Buses was mostly either in the Bus Depot or in the Butler household very rare it wasn't one of those 2 locations

This is very true - even dramas like Upstairs, Downstairs had many episodes which never left the confines of the house in which they were set. However, some shows occasionally take it further and confine episodes to one room or small set.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Only When I Laugh (sitcom based in a Hospital) rarely left the ward and a lot of eps just had the 3 men in bed talking they may have gone to the table sometimes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Game On didn't go out much.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    There was also a Bottom set in a tent, into which a flasher kept exposing himself (leading to an unfortunate moment as Eddie and Richie quickly attempted to zip the door up). I believe this was also the episode in which they were petrified that they would be attacked by Wombles because they were camping on Wimbledon Common. :D

Eddie: Where's my sleeping bag??

Richie: Well the last I heard she was in Chiswick!!!

Most episodes of Nightingales the C4 sitcom about security guards starring Robert Lindsay, David Threlfall and James Ellis were set in one room
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only When I Laugh (sitcom based in a Hospital) rarely left the ward and a lot of eps just had the 3 men in bed talking they may have gone to the table sometimes

I've only seen one episode of the Jo Brand sitcom, Getting On, but I'm sure it was confined to the one hospital ward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    warszawa wrote: »
    Game On didn't go out much.

I have not watched that in about 16 years but wasn't that even part of the plot that one of them was agoraphobic so never left the flat
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have not watched that in about 16 years but wasn't that even part of the plot that one of them was agoraphobic so never left the flat

He did on a couple of occasion though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    He did on a couple of occasion though

He was briefly in a band.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In one of the On The Buses episodes apart from about 30 seconds at the end it's set entirely on the bus (even those 30 seconds they are stood just outside of the bus)
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Office (UK version) or The Office (US Version Seasons 1 - 2) rarely left The Office....
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One episode of Porridge ("A Night In", from the first series) was set entirely in Fletcher and Godber's prison cell.
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does stuff like Hi-De-Hi count as it rarely left the camp but the camp was big so has many different locations

Technically, no since some episodes featured the staff visiting locations away from the camp,
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many episodes of Cheers never leave the Bar/Office - certainly in the early series..
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    There was another episode of One Foot In The Grave where Victor was all alone for some reason and he never left the house. It was called The Trial.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was another episode of One Foot In The Grave where Victor was all alone for some reason and he never left the house. It was called The Trial.

Which gave us that hilarious plant in toilet scene! :D
  • Options
    FlannerzFlannerz Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Some of the early Red Dwarfs they don't leave the ship
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember a Rab C. Nesbitt episode set in a police cell which was a monologue by Fisher. Timothy Spall was the reluctant cellmate who ended up hanging himself while Rab ranted on - very impressive acting without a single line.