Options

Hospital receptionist who took prank Royal call has committed suicide

Comments

• Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,531
    Forum Member
    Can we not de-rail this thread into potty "It was Prince Phillip wot dun it" territory please!
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It simply is not that important and never was. I think some people need to get a sense of perspective here rather than ramping up the drama even more. That is what has probably killed this woman - her being unable to see how trivial this whole thing is.

Spot on. The whole media storm made this story big news (even though at the time I didn't understand why) - which in turn has put the likes of this nurse into the spotlight, which I assume, she isn't used too!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think Australian Broadcasters above all else would be a little bit wary as far as these kind of situations are concerned.

The Australian Communication and Media Authority which the regulatory body over there is already looking into this, especially as the radio station has been in previous trouble.

Just imagine the uproar if the BBC Radio One breakfast show had done it here. I'm sure the BBC Director General would have resigned by now.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Just imagine the uproar if the BBC Radio One breakfast show had done it here. I'm sure the BBC Director General would have resigned by now.

No need to imagine it. We all saw it with sachsgate.
  • Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    The victims weren't the royal family but the nurses who took the call and gave out the information
    The victim was a nurse who has committed suicide
    Their intention was to gain some information on Kate/the royal baby, preferably in a humorous way, not to cause someone to commit suicide...
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocking story, what a horrible end to a harmless joke. Heads will roll.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    It's one thing prank calling yuor friends, or a celebrity, or a chip shop, but a hospital? You just wouldn't do it. Twerps.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 71,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their intention was to gain some information on Kate/the royal baby, preferably in a humorous way, not to cause someone to commit suicide...

Doesn't matter..........they were trying to obtain information by deception, and later to broadcast that call, without any regard for the consequences of their actions.
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the hospital have supported her since the prank

They would say that though wouldn't they .
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was not fired! However giving answers about patients to anyone other than direct family is a breach of patient confidentiality and she would have been liable for disciplinary action especially as the pranksters broadcast the call.

I thought this was the person who first took the call and not the one who gave out information?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both DJ's have vanished from twitter.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    If you were working for a royal, and had a call from someone claming to be the Queen - who but the most ardent Republicans would just say - "Sorry love, can't say anything" and hang up?

Thats what I was wondering earlier - is it possible the hospital were expecting a call from the queen and were told it was OK to let her know how Kate was getting on. I remember when phil was in hospital it being said the queen didnt visit but rang daily.
  • Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm sure the family of the lady who has committed suicide would appreciate being told to "lighten up"

I've never liked pranks, primarily because the whole point of them is to humiliate people, and I honestly dont get how that is funny in any way. It's just uncomfortable, and often involves a kind of underlying bullying component as far as I can see. So sad that so many people just think this kind of thing is "a laugh".

And I can see how an ordinary, dedicated person who really cared about her job might find the shame of having made a mistake like this, as well as it being made public, absolutely devastating. Not everyone is thick-skinned.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I don't blame the DJs for this, after all who in their daft mind would expect to be put through as easily as that and even they themselves were surprised they got through.

A security letdown IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was not fired! However giving answers about patients to anyone other than direct family is a breach of patient confidentiality and she would have been liable for disciplinary action especially as the pranksters broadcast the call.

BBC said it was the first lady who picked up the call, not the second lady who gave information. I guess the first lady blamed herself for the second part.
  • Options
    di60di60 Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    mincepie wrote: »
    The DJ's shouldn't really have made the call... wasting nurses time. But...
    ...It's not entirely expected - the hospital/Royal police should have been well aware of the high profile nature of this and reminded staff...
    ...Who should know anyhow not to give out such details...
    But mistakes happen (on part of the nurse lady)...

I'm sure following all the press attention the hospital managers will have put a lot of pressure on the nurse, far more than had it been a leak of info about any old person.

...Which is why, the following line in the news about her death makes me angry - it sounds all wrong! "Supporting" sounds totally the wrong word! More like throwing every disciplinary procedure they could find at her?!!

I agree..... all that her "superiors" will give a sh!t about is the 'reputation' to the hospital, and the 'cost' to any future 'royal births'.... the thought that they would "support" a 'night receptionist' over that is laughable..

damage limitation underway swiftly ;)
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peapod152 wrote: »
    It's one thing prank calling yuor friends, or a celebrity, or a chip shop, but a hospital? You just wouldn't do it. Twerps.

I agree with this.

Same for all tossers who think it's hilarious to prank-call 999 throughout New Year's Eve and similar days.
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah.1987 wrote: »
    That is simply awful.

Hope these 2 australian p*^cks live a happy life knowing they indirectly caused someone's death.

It was a prank that ended badly. They are not pr*cks, they are normal Aussies having a laugh. Anyone with half a brain and a sense of humour found the phone call funny. Yes, it's very sad the way it has ended and I'm sure the DJ's feel bad but there was no need for your inane comment.

You must be a joy to live with.....NOT!
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To all those saying not to blame the DJs: They played the prank not knowing the circumstances of the people they were playing the prank on, but that is a chance they took. They were totally irresponsible to do that.

The principle at law is that you take your victim as you find them. If you break into someone's home and they die of a heart attack, you can be found guilty of manslaughter, despite not knowing the person has a heart condition. It's a chance you take.

The point is that there are people out there who are ill, mentally or physically, who have not asked to be pranked, and who may not be able to handle the consequences of being pranked. Particularly if it could affect that person's career and their ability to put food on the table. If they are already depressed, it could push them over the edge.

There are loads of these radio pranks, and some of them just go too far. For instance, making people think their partner has cheated on them, and other things that cause distress to that person. Even if the DJ later tells the person it was a prank, it still causes distress at the time which that person may or not be able to handle. The very fact that the pranksters don't know the person they are pranking, is a reason not to do it.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was the person who first took the call and not the one who gave out information?

The dead woman is the person who took the original call and not the one who passed on the info

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20645838
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's just awful to hear.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    If they are not sacked then they may "resign".

The original prank went global, this news is going to be an even bigger story.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At the very least it is obvious the woman would be in serious trouble by revealing that info - and then they made it a million times worse by broadcasting it to the world.
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't blame the DJs for this, after all who in their daft mind would expect to be put through as easily as that and even they themselves were surprised they got through.

A security letdown IMO.

No matter what crap people say on here if they didn't do it the women would still be alive and her children would still have a mother. Heartless and thoughtless, describes some FM's all over
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What information on the baby?

She is how many weeks gone?

Information on her condition was updated though out the day.
This discussion has been closed.