Options

Receptionist who put the call through

Comments

• Options
    fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's exactly what I was trying to say the other day... Some people on here won't be happy until they see the DJs strung up. Do we really want to see these 2 people slaughtered

Extreme distortion of the debate on this thread.

If being "slaughtered" means being held to account for their actions in phoning a hospital, pretending to be someone they are not, to illicit unlawful personal information about an unwell patient...then yes. I have seen plenty of posts who feel that the actions of this station and their staff should indeed be held to account.
    The line has well and truly been crossed and it needs to be clearly established so that any other idiots may just stop to think about what they are doing and how they are inflicting distress on other people all for the sake of a laugh.
    I am still astounded that anyone, ever found it funny.
    If that was a relative of anyone out their who thought it such good fun, who's privacy has been so disrespectfully and maliciously invaded, I seriously doubt the incident would be taken as a "prank".
    Someone is dead and many more people's lives changed forever.
    If that isn't a wake up call to every one to stop this ever increasing culture of pushing the boundaries to please the baying crowd, then the hurt and despair of ALL of those involved will have been in vain.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ones who are claiming there is "baying for blood" are the hyperbole masters here. Suggesting the authors of a badly-thought-out prank quit is not a witch hunt.

Several DS posters have called for them to be locked up. Madness.
  • Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fifitrixibelle
    That is my opinion and I'm standing by it. There are some on here who want them made an example of.. Isn't this woman's death bad enough for them to deal with? If reports are right they are Both receiving councilling and must be going through hell. We have a culture these days of never excepting that some of our actions are to blame also. This wasnt just down to the DJs
  • Options
    Cal Me ALCal Me AL Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fifitrixibelle
    That is my opinion and I'm standing by it. There are some on here who want them made an example of.. Isn't this woman's death bad enough for them to deal with? If reports are right they are Both receiving councilling and must be going through hell. We have a culture these days of never excepting that some of our actions are to blame also. This wasnt just down to the DJs

I don't know who these "some" are that you keep talking about/referring to.

As far as I'm concerned:

Was pranking calling a hospital funny? No.

Should there have been better protocols at the hospital? Yes, probably. But then again which doctor, nurse and hospital on earth would expect to be a) pranked called and b) pranked called for a laugh? If protocols did exist and were not followed, should the nurses take responsibilty for their actions? Yes, probably. But then it's assumed one already did so in the most disproportionate of ways: she sadly, heartbreakingly took her own life.

Should the radio station and the DJs prank called a hospital? No

Should they own up and take responsibility for such poor judgement? Yes. Is this blaming them? No, it's called taking ownership of your poor judgemenst. There is a massively huge difference between "blaming someone" and "taking responsibilty for doing something". Blaming someone is passive, personal and points finger at people. Taking responsibility for one's own actions is active and assumes a level of maturity on that person's part is taking place or has taken place.

What consequences should follow? That is up to the authorities (police, OFCom equilvalent in Australia).

Which part of all that is "braying for blood"? Or maybe you should do "most" of posters on here (or rather the not "some people on here" half) a favour and list who these "some people on here" braying for blood are, and stop hiding behind such equivocations. It's irritating and lazy.
  • Options
    Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not time we all paused for a moment and cut the bickering, they only thing that we should be talking about is getting answers for the nurses family.

Not impressed with the met who seem only to care about the breach of privacy and how it has affected the royals, and as for the Aussie cops being involved is a load of bull, no crime has actually been committed down under so why are they even wasting money on interviews.

The breach of privacy nonsense is just a diversion from the real reasons why a vulnerable employee of tha crap excuse for a hospital took her life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for the Royal spin machine, time they stopped the BS and come clean about their part in the tragedy.
  • Options
    fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fifitrixibelle

If it stops just one idiot causing such distress to others then IMO that is not a bad thing, in so much as any breach in law should be addressed.

As for the second BIB, yes we do and more and more frequently by morons like this radio station that have a history of such distressing pranks and the increasing acceptance and expectations presumably of their listeners.
    The hospital and nurses I can 1000% assure do have policies and procedures for patient confidentiality and in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
    I can also assure you that the "blame" of the nurses for this breach would have been dealt with in line with these policies AND in respect of the breach of Code of Conduct that all qualified nurses practice within. A breach of this conduct is investigated by the NMC and can result in loss of registration and with that the loss of rights to work as a registered nurse.
    The actions/omissions of the nurses would certainly be investigated and if the woman had not killed herself the radio station and its actions most likely would not have done.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Er yes, what is your point though?

You put perhaps due to the time difference (it was late evening or night over there when the news became known here)..

I was just advising of the time difference for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they had kept their mouths shut and not courted publicity then the prank may not have happened,

I'm talking with a disabled ex military guy (another forum) who was treated at this hospital and even though its some years ago since he was there, his recollections of his stay are surprising.
  • Options
    Re-MinderRe-Minder Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they had kept their mouths shut and not courted publicity then the prank may not have happened,

I'm talking with a disabled ex military guy (another forum) who was treated at this hospital and even though its some years ago since he was there, his recollections of his stay are surprising.

So tell us what was said?
  • Options
    thegirlinpinkthegirlinpink Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    The ones who are claiming there is "baying for blood" are the hyperbole masters here. Suggesting the authors of a badly-thought-out prank quit is not a witch hunt.

Hear, hear!!!
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can just imagine Mathew Hopkins in the seventeenth century, lynching some old lady, and protesting: 'They dost slander me and run to excess, who liken me and my doings, to the barbarity of twenty-first century media scapegoating!'
  • Options
    thegirlinpinkthegirlinpink Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Several DS posters have called for them to be locked up. Madness.

You always get people who take a backlash too far but people who seem surprised there is a backlash of any sort and who are more concerned with defending the DJs than showing empathy for the nurse who killed herself concern me.

Even without the nurses' death, considering the context of the prank they should have been sacked on the spot anyway. What they did went way beyond pranking. Would those defending them like it if their privacy was invaded like the way they invaded Kate Middleton's...and while she was ill, to boot?
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest on her state of mind after the call is in this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2245604/Jacintha-Saldanha-Hoaxed-nurse-died-shame-As-backlash-phone-prank-DJs-grows-brother-victim-says-sister-devastated.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

The hospital has repeatedly stressed that Mrs Saldanha did not face any disciplinary action and it ‘was working hard to support her’ but the feeling that she had unintentionally broken the hospital rules, bringing shame on her and her employer, may well have pushed her into taking desperate action.

Her fellow victim of the prank, who has not been named, is also said to have been ‘incredibly upset’.
  • Options
    Shoe LaceShoe Lace Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And before she died, people were 'suggesting' the nurse should be sacked/reprimanded/jailed/god knows what. See, what the problem is?
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, but suggesting they be jailed for life or expressing the hope that they commit suicide too is "baying for blood" and a witchhunt, and you'll find those opinions expressed on twitter and facebook.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    Whatever the two are suffering, it's nothing compared to the nurse in her torment before death, or the suffering of her family now.

I'd agree it's not comparable to the suffering of Mrs Saldanha's family now, but to say it's not comparable to Mrs Saldanha's suffering before her death is presumptuous. They have far more reason to be in torment than she did. She may have felt she'd let her employer down, but that's a long way from feeling responsible for someone's death. She may have felt humiliated in public, but she wasn't a worldwide hate figure.

No-one realised how badly Mrs Saldanha felt until she killed herself. How can you be so arrogant as to presume you know how Michael Christian and Mel Greig feel, to be able to compare?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    I agree but, the bloke carried on boasting after he heard that the nurse had killed herself. that was out of order.

You've been asked before for evidence of this, and haven't provided any. I suspect you're making up lies.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You always get people who take a backlash too far but people who seem surprised there is a backlash of any sort and who are more concerned with defending the DJs than showing empathy for the nurse who killed herself concern me.

Even without the nurses' death, considering the context of the prank they should have been sacked on the spot anyway. What they did went way beyond pranking. Would those defending them like it if their privacy was invaded like the way they invaded Kate Middleton's...and while she was ill, to boot?

Do you mean, if I was ill in hospital and someone phoned up as part of a radio prank, putting on a cartoony 'mum' voice and pretending to feed her cats (while someone miaowed in the background), only to be told that I was asleep and fine? I wouldn't give a damn. I'd find it very difficult to be outraged at such a silly attempt at humour. The idea that some sacrosanct confidentiality was breached (by the nurse, not the DJs) or that this was 'way beyond a prank' suggests to me that you haven't listened to the recording (apologies if you have). It's asinine - a molehill that has been built into a mountain by the media. I think it was a stupid idea to phone a hospital, but it's not exactly the crime of the century.

The nurse's death is completely irrelevant, as we know nothing of why she did was she did (nor do we have a right to). It's possible to empathise with the nurse and her family without being outraged on other people's behalf. The only people this concerns are the royals, the hospital and the radio station. Certainly, the royals seemed to laugh it off.
  • Options
    Re-MinderRe-Minder Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The DM is trying to divert attention away from the real reason why she committed suicide, as i have read already a smokescreen
  • Options
    VisitingVisiting Posts: 40,112
    Forum Member
    Extreme distortion of the debate on this thread.

If being "slaughtered" means being held to account for their actions in phoning a hospital, pretending to be someone they are not, to illicit unlawful personal information about an unwell patient...then yes. I have seen plenty of posts who feel that the actions of this station and their staff should indeed be held to account.
    The line has well and truly been crossed and it needs to be clearly established so that any other idiots may just stop to think about what they are doing and how they are inflicting distress on other people all for the sake of a laugh.
    I am still astounded that anyone, ever found it funny.
    If that was a relative of anyone out their who thought it such good fun, who's privacy has been so disrespectfully and maliciously invaded, I seriously doubt the incident would be taken as a "prank".
    Someone is dead and many more people's lives changed forever.
    If that isn't a wake up call to every one to stop this ever increasing culture of pushing the boundaries to please the baying crowd, then the hurt and despair of ALL of those involved will have been in vain.

I couldn't agree with you more
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean, if I was ill in hospital and someone phoned up as part of a radio prank, putting on a cartoony 'mum' voice and pretending to feed her cats (while someone miaowed in the background), only to be told that I was asleep and fine? I wouldn't give a damn. I'd find it very difficult to be outraged at such a silly attempt at humour. The idea that some sacrosanct confidentiality was breached (by the nurse, not the DJs) or that this was 'way beyond a prank' suggests to me that you haven't listened to the recording (apologies if you have). It's asinine - a molehill that has been built into a mountain by the media. I think it was a stupid idea to phone a hospital, but it's not exactly the crime of the century.

The nurse's death is completely irrelevant, as we know nothing of why she did was she did (nor do we have a right to). It's possible to empathise with the nurse and her family without being outraged on other people's behalf. The only people this concerns are the royals, the hospital and the radio station. Certainly, the royals seemed to laugh it off.

To me it depends where you draw the line for acceptable consequences for humour - In this case the DJ's have managed to trick two nurses into making a huge mistake and looking very foolish in the process. After failing to get permission to broadcast the tape (despite trying 5 times according to an executive) they decide to broadcast anyway knowing that consequences for the nurses range from humiliation to possible firing but they decide it is worth it for publicity and/or ratings. It is that callous behaviour that they should be condemned for.To be fair to them they are not alone in this sort of thinking, we see it all the time in the entertainment industry but in this case they were unlucky enough for it all to go wrong and the worst case scenario happened. The best we can hope for is that in the future people think twice before exploiting strangers for their own personal gain.

In my view there are four groups who have responsibility for this tragedy - the DJ's, radio station management, the hospital management and the media. I don't think it is fair to take one group and and say "this is on you" as each had a significant role in this and none of them can be exonerated.
  • Options
    UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but suggesting they be jailed for life or expressing the hope that they commit suicide too is "baying for blood" and a witchhunt, and you'll find those opinions expressed on twitter and facebook.

Both those views are ridiculous and callous. Neither have been expressed in this moderated forum that is not Twitter or Facebook yet some posters insist there is "baying for blood" here when really people are just suggesting a few people (not just the DJs) might share the blame and might do well to take some responsibility.
  • Options
    UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Prince Charles's reaction showed that the royal family were probably taking it in their stride and good for them, but prank calling a hospital crosses a line. There are quite a lot of posters who don't seem to agree that it does, but that's the basic principle here.
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    This is not Twitter or Facebook.

thankfully not. I feel sorry for the nurses family, the nurse the call got transferred to that actually said anything, Kate & Will & even the 2 DJ's now. Bad joke that went very wrong in ways nobody could ever have predicted