Options

Box junction penalty notice question

InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A couple of weeks ago I set off across a box junction but the traffic ahead of me stopped before I could exit the hatched area. I received a penalty notice three days later which I have paid - I know I did exactly the thing that box junctions are intended to prevent.

My question relates to the wording on the notice: The alleged contravention was noted by camera operator XYZ99 who was observing real time pictures from the roadside camera at the time stated. This alleged contravention is supported by videotape evidence.

Is there a legal requirement that the operator has to be watching "live" in order to issue a penalty notice? Is that why the notice is worded that way? Also, is there a national penalty for this contravention or is it set by each local authority?

As I said, I've paid the amount on the notice and I'm not trying to get out of it - I'm just interested in the mechanics of how it works and how the penalty is set.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are caught on camera it doesn't matter if someone was watching it live or reviewing the video.

You should have been fined under the national scheme - £60 fine (can be less if paid in s many weeks). However in some areas the police have given some responsibility to council's to monitor box junctions but I think they are still bound by the FPN of £60 and aren't allowed to charge more than that.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way to catch box junction infringements is with an enforcement officer at the scene or someone watching a real-time video feed. The feed is recorded as proof. If the control room staff weren't watching that particular feed at that time, then you would have got away with it. I'm sure they don't review all the tapes at the end of the shift on the off-chance of catching someone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are caught on camera it doesn't matter if someone was watching it live or reviewing the video.

You should have been fined under the national scheme - £60 fine (can be less if paid in s many weeks). However in some areas the police have given some responsibility to council's to monitor box junctions but I think they are still bound by the FPN of £60 and aren't allowed to charge more than that.

I was sent a penalty notice for £120, reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days, but with the option to be increased to £180 if not paid within 28 days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I was sent a penalty notice for £120, reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days, but with the option to be increased to £180 if not paid within 28 days.

£120 seems a bit steep for a box junction offence the usual is around £60. Unless your fine was for two offences, stopping in box junction and inconsiderate driving I have seen it where the police do that to some offenders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £120 seems a bit steep for a box junction offence the usual is around £60. Unless your fine was for two offences, stopping in box junction and inconsiderate driving I have seen it where the police do that to some offenders.

"Entering and stopping in a box junction where prohibited" if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure i'm going to get shouted down with this one but . . . . . . surely in reality there are situations where you have to stop in a box junction?

For example if there are two streams of heavy traffic coming from two directions into one exit. If you wait at the line for the traffic in front to move off then you're allowing the traffic from the other direction to simply queue up in front of them once the lights change. By the time the lights have changed back there could be a full on queue in front of you again and so you'd never actually be able to move forward!

What i'm saying that it would be great if everyone obeyed the laws concerning box junctions but as they don't it leaves you with very little choice!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure i'm going to get shouted down with this one but . . . . . . surely in reality there are situations where you have to stop in a box junction?

For example if there are two streams of heavy traffic coming from two directions into one exit. If you wait at the line for the traffic in front to move off then you're allowing the traffic from the other direction to simply queue up in front of them once the lights change. By the time the lights have changed back there could be a full on queue in front of you again and so you'd never actually be able to move forward!

What i'm saying that it would be great if everyone obeyed the laws concerning box junctions but as they don't it leaves you with very little choice!

The rules regarding box junctions are you MUST NOT enter to yellow criss cross markings until your exit route is clear. However you can enter a box junction ONLY if you are turning right and are prevented from doing so by on coming traffic or other traffic in front waiting to turn right.

At a signalled roundabout you MUS NOT enter the box unless you can fully clear it without stopping.

I know that people don't follow this but unfortunately if you do enter the junction and fail to clear it you will be given a FPN if caught.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Edited
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highly annoying though when you wait and just as you move forward into the clear junction some other B*****d slips up your inside, cuts in front of you and takes your space and leaves you illegally sitting in the junction :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member

blueisthecolour your are right and gorillathebino you are wrong.

Before gorillathebino tells me that i have no idea what i am talking about i will explian.

TFL and most councils apply the rules written down in the highway code ,which are wrong and do not reflect the actual law written in the "Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002"
    It may sound ridiculous that the high way code does not reflect what is the actual the law but it is a fact which anyone can check out by googling the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002" and finding the section relating to yellow box junctions. Or by hunting down on the internet one of the many patas appeal cases that have been won on the fact.

The councils dont care that they are wrong as they make money out of it and know that the police will do nothing .

The offence is firstly committed on entry and only then if there are stationary vehicles blocking your exit on entry.

In other words if on entry there are no stationary vehicle preventing your exit you have commited no offence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    micky45 wrote: »
    blueisthecolour your are right and gorillathebino you are wrong.

Before gorillathebino tells me that i have no idea what i am talking about i will explian.

TFL and most councils apply the rules written down in the highway code ,which are wrong and do not reflect the actual law written in the "Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002"
    It may sound ridiculous that the high way code does not reflect what is the actual the law but it is a fact which anyone can check out by googling the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002" and finding the section relating to yellow box junctions. Or by hunting down on the internet one of the many patas appeal cases that have been won on the fact.

The councils dont care that they are wrong as they make money out of it and know that the police will do nothing .

The offence is firstly committed on entry and only then if there are stationary vehicles blocking your exit on entry.

In other words if on entry there are no stationary vehicle preventing your exit you have commited no offence.

You are just saying what I said the only thing I didn't mention was stationary vehicles. Apart from that nothing is different.

I thought it would be obvious when I said exit route is clear (ie no cars stopped at your exit that would prevent you from exiting the junction).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gorillathebino

I appologise, i was thinking you were going down the line that most councils do, where they prosecute motorists who have had to stop in the junction due to previously moving
    vehicles in front coming to a stop after they had entered.

Inkblot

By the way, you did nothing wrong and would have won on appeal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The above still ignores the fact that in crawling traffic you have to enter box junctions even if they're not clear as otherwise cars coming from the other directions will simply queue up in front of you and it will be IMPOSSIBLE to move. And i don't just mean it will take you longer i mean you will literally not able to move forward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The above still ignores the fact that in crawling traffic you have to enter box junctions even if they're not clear as otherwise cars coming from the other directions will simply queue up in front of you and it will be IMPOSSIBLE to move. And i don't just mean it will take you longer i mean you will literally not able to move forward.

You are right but as with most legislation it is a gray area. As traffic may be moving but at your exit it may be stationary and if you did enter the box then you could be charged.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One occasion I was coming up the "stalk" of traffic light controlled T junction with a box junction where the stalk joins the bar of the T. I was stationary for three entire light changes because the way the traffic on the bar of the T was the ONLY space when the lights changed was within the box junction itself. People were hooting nonstop because I wouldn' t illegally move into this space. I was getting seriously worried someone would come and hit me for not moving, even though there was nowhere I could legally move to :o:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Tass wrote: »
    Highly annoying though when you wait and just as you move forward into the clear junction some other B*****d slips up your inside, cuts in front of you and takes your space and leaves you illegally sitting in the junction :mad:

happened to me the other day , i was waiting patiently , started to move off and a car came from my left and took the space i was going for , left me sitting in the box junction , fortunately it wasnt monitored , still annoyed me though :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tass wrote: »
    One occasion I was coming up the "stalk" of traffic light controlled T junction with a box junction where the stalk joins the bar of the T. I was stationary for three entire light changes because the way the traffic on the bar of the T was the ONLY space when the lights changed was within the box junction itself. People were hooting nonstop because I wouldn' t illegally move into this space. I was getting seriously worried someone would come and hit me for not moving, even though there was nowhere I could legally move to :o:mad:

This is precisely the situation i meant. You're in a no win situation. If stopping in box junctions was enforced more regularly then it would'nt be an issue as people wouldn't block them. However we all know that using cameras to prevent traffic crime isn't simply a sensible way of managing road behaviour, no it's the 'greedy government' invading our privacy and stealing our money. (Please note sarcasm)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    happened to me the other day , i was waiting patiently , started to move off and a car came from my left and took the space i was going for , left me sitting in the box junction , fortunately it wasnt monitored , still annoyed me though :mad:

What your saying is

As you entered the box junction your exit was clear,their was somewhere for you to go. A car then came and and took the spot you were aiming for giving you no choice but to stop in the yellow box.
    If so no offence was commited as on entry you had an exit.
  • Options
    Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I set off across a box junction but the traffic ahead of me stopped before I could exit the hatched area. I received a penalty notice three days later which I have paid - I know I did exactly the thing that box junctions are intended to prevent.

My question relates to the wording on the notice: The alleged contravention was noted by camera operator XYZ99 who was observing real time pictures from the roadside camera at the time stated. This alleged contravention is supported by videotape evidence.

Is there a legal requirement that the operator has to be watching "live" in order to issue a penalty notice? Is that why the notice is worded that way? Also, is there a national penalty for this contravention or is it set by each local authority?

As I said, I've paid the amount on the notice and I'm not trying to get out of it - I'm just interested in the mechanics of how it works and how the penalty is set.

More fool you for paying!!! :rolleyes:

Did you cause a long term obstruction? Did you cause massive tailbacks? Did you put anyones life in danger? - erm...probably no...so you simply added fuel to the fire by paying a stupid fee of which is irrelevant. WHY did you pay this fee?

I don't want to sound 'harsh' - BUT...it is people like you (and many of them) that stoop so low as to simply pay everything and anyting that is throwed at them...that's why these pathetic laws are in force because they know people are daft enough to pay up...put up...shut up...and then moan about it.

If you caused no problem by a simple mistake...WHY should YOU (or anyone else) have to pay?

For god sake...you should have REFUSED POINT BLANK to pay!

The government will soon fine people for shutting their car doors incorrectly...YET people will STILL be stupid enough to pay up!

Why oh why DO people add fuel to the fire for absolutely NO apparant reason? No wonder the laws take the pi$$ - because people encourage them to! :eek:
  • Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that's a bit harsh. I'm sure most drivers have been on the wrong end of fixed penalties and worse.

It's hard to sustain a robust defence in the face of well... faceless, relentless bureaucracy. I don't blame individuals who find they have to minimise the cost and disruption to their lives in dealing with a system that seems specifically designed to out-manoeuver them at every turn.

It's not the fault of individual citizens. It's the fault of all those people (and campaign groups :rolleyes:) who freely equate adherance to the rules with safety. It's the fault of bureaucrats and legal professionals who continue to support a system that works against the interests of citizens and society. And (no suprise here) it's the fault of politicians for adopting these policies in the first place.

It's a shame that a once great, free country now seems content to direct the forces of law and order against its entire population - and for what end? Casualties on the road are no fewer, and anyone who drives regularly has to endure a significantly more lawless environment. The same on our streets and in our town centres.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Did you cause a long term obstruction? Did you cause massive tailbacks? Did you put anyones life in danger? - erm...probably no...so you simply added fuel to the fire by paying a stupid fee of which is irrelevant. WHY did you pay this fee?

I don't want to sound 'harsh' - BUT...it is people like you (and many of them) that stoop so low as to simply pay everything and anyting that is throwed at them...that's why these pathetic laws are in force because they know people are daft enough to pay up...put up...shut up...and then moan about it.

If you caused no problem by a simple mistake...WHY should YOU (or anyone else) have to pay?

The government will soon fine people for shutting their car doors incorrectly...YET people will STILL be stupid enough to pay up!

Why oh why DO people add fuel to the fire for absolutely NO apparant reason? No wonder the laws take the pi$$ - because people encourage them to! :eek:
    Its not his fault, most people dont know the actual law regarding YBJ , most people read what in written in the highway code not realising that it does not mirror the actual wording written in the "Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002"
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member

So basically, we should just ignore laws we don't like and if we get caught breaking them ignore the punishment because otherwise by taking the deserved punishment we're encouraging the laws?

What a daft statement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    micky45 wrote: »
    What your saying is

As you entered the box junction your exit was clear,their was somewhere for you to go. A car then came and and took the spot you were aiming for giving you no choice but to stop in the yellow box.
    If so no offence was commited as on entry you had an exit.

fair play and good point , however , it still pissed me off that i was blocking the junction through no fault of my own :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re-reading this thread and my posts from 3 years ago - I see I might have missed a relevant part.

Is it correct that as long as the cars in front of you are moving that it is ok to enter a box junction?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re-reading this thread and my posts from 3 years ago - I see I might have missed a relevant part.

Is it correct that as long as the cars in front of you are moving that it is ok to enter a box junction?
    Highway code rule 174

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (download ‘Road markings’ (PDF, 731KB)). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.
    https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/road-junctions-170-to-183

So going by that you have to wait until the exit is clear before you enter the junction. The "MUST NOT" in the rule means it's backed up by law.