Options

Cheers on ITV4 (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    soundstory wrote: »
    I caught the double episodes "Rebound" the other night.

Noted how ill Nicholas Colasanto looked.

Sadly he passed away after the end of this season.

Great character & actor

It really was noticeable wasn't it.
  • Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    It really was noticeable wasn't it.

Yeah I was shocked. Don't know what killed him, but my first thought was how thin he was. And sadly, how old he suddenly looked.
  • Options
    OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They messed up with their afternoon repeats. :( Friday evening's two shows were not repeated. I am going to change my box to record the evening shows.

Last Friday (30 November) there were no episodes shown because of darts coverage. When episodes are shown on Friday evening they are repeated on Monday afternoon.

We have to suffer Cheers deprivation (no episodes) again today (Thursday), and there will only be 1 episode shown instead of 2 tomorrow (Friday).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I was shocked. Don't know what killed him, but my first thought was how thin he was. And sadly, how old he suddenly looked.

He died of a heart attack. :(
    Orangecrab wrote: »
    Last Friday (30 November) there were no episodes shown because of darts coverage. When episodes are shown on Friday evening they are repeated on Monday afternoon.

We have to suffer Cheers deprivation (no episodes) again today (Thursday), and there will only be 1 episode shown instead of 2 tomorrow (Friday).

You're right, my mistake. It was Thursday evening's two episodes that were not repeated.

I have now changed my box to record the evening episodes, but am keeping a sharp eye on proceedings as (as you have said above) it does seem to change from time to time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching tonight? Am I crazy or is the woman playing Frasiers psychotic mother the same woman who was Martins date in an episode of Frasier? The one where he pretended to be gay?
  • Options
    Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching tonight? Am I crazy or is the woman playing Frasiers psychotic mother the same woman who was Martins date in an episode of Frasier? The one where he pretended to be gay?

You could be right. In Frasier Martin is a widower right from the beginning so did the mother pass away at some point in a later Cheers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could be right. In Frasier Martin is a widower right from the beginning so did the mother pass away at some point in a later Cheers?[/QUOTE
    I think so. If I remember right, at one point during a cheers episode Frasier mentions being having no brothers and both of his parents being dead! But after Martin learns of this, Frasier simply tells him 'We'd had a row, you called me a stuffed shirt and hung up on me I was mad.'
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    How long before Woody and Rebecca join the show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    How long before Woody and Rebecca join the show?

Not long for Woody. Maybe a week
    of episodes.
  • Options
    icefallicefall Posts: 7,710
    Forum Member
    Since they have started showing them on ITV4 I have taken this chance to watch Cheers... Its really very good. Nice to see it from the beginning, loads of episodes I've never seen, its like maturing wine getting better as it goes along!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    You could be right. In Frasier Martin is a widower right from the beginning so did the mother pass away at some point in a later Cheers?[/QUOTE
    I think so. If I remember right, at one point during a cheers episode Frasier mentions being having no brothers and both of his parents being dead! But after Martin learns of this, Frasier simply tells him 'We'd had a row, you called me a stuffed shirt and hung up on me I was mad.'

It was the second series episode when Sam Malone showed up.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Afraid not, Frasier's mother was played (on Cheers) by veteran character actress Nancy Marchand (well known as Livia Soprano in more recent years). She passed away in 2000, while The Sopranos was still filming.

Martin's 'date' (or rather, the woman he actively avoids by pretending to be gay!) was played by Mary Louise Wilson. There's a definite resemblance between them, though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    one of the best American comedies ever. no doubt in my mind about that.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picking it up now... on series 3 ep 8/9. Yep - and it does take me back to C4 during Jeremy Isaacs' tenure... back during the days of DECENT TV..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carla has gone from being my favourite character to my least favourite. I still like her (I don't dislike any of them) but is this her default setting? Just wisecrack after wisecrack, or does she gain some depth?

Sophia in the Golden Girls was rude to everyone, but she did have a soft side and would defend the others (even Rose) to outsiders, but Carla is as hard as nails and puts herself before everyone. Does she soften as the series go by?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carla has gone from being my favourite character to my least favourite. I still like her (I don't dislike any of them) but is this her default setting? Just wisecrack after wisecrack, or does she gain some depth?

Sophia in the Golden Girls was rude to everyone, but she did have a soft side and would defend the others (even Rose) to outsiders, but Carla is as hard as nails and puts herself before everyone. Does she soften as the series go by?

Not really. She softens a little (briefly) when she gets married, but is pretty much "a little foul-mouthed, fright-wigged rodent" right 'til the end. She actually seems to get worse as the series goes on - she was at her most 'human' when the Coach was still around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Not really. She softens a little (briefly) when she gets married, but is pretty much "a little foul-mouthed, fright-wigged rodent" right 'til the end. She actually seems to get worse as the series goes on - she was at her most 'human' when the Coach was still around.

I love the description. :D It's so apt.

So she gets worse. :eek: This is my first viewing of Cheers, so I am new to the characters. Thanks for answering. :)
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Carla has got depth. She's a down-on-her-luck single mother with too many children and a poor choice in men. She's a huge baseball fan and acts as a moral compass for Sam.
    What you're calling "rude" is what americans call "a new-yorker" (and I do know the show is set in Boston): assertive, willing to say what she thinks and to defend the things she believes in. The wisecracks are part of the barrier she puts up to protect herself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rhea Pearlman is the best thing about early Cheers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Carla has got depth. She's a down-on-her-luck single mother with too many children and a poor choice in men. She's a huge baseball fan and acts as a moral compass for Sam.
    What you're calling "rude" is what americans call "a new-yorker" (and I do know the show is set in Boston): assertive, willing to say what she thinks and to defend the things she believes in. The wisecracks are part of the barrier she puts up to protect herself.

There's a difference between being assertive and being rude and sometimes very hurtful. I know it's a comedy, and I am taking this too literally, but I see no depth at all. Just a string of put downs and wisecracks at others expense. The only time she asks a question is to gather material for a later outburst.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's a difference between being assertive and being rude and sometimes very hurtful. I know it's a comedy, and I am taking this too literally, but I see no depth at all. Just a string of put downs and wisecracks at others expense. The only time she asks a question is to gather material for a later outburst.

Yeah, totally agree with this. Carla's a nasty piece of work. Anyone who doubts it should watch the Frasier episode where he goes back to Boston for Cliff's retirement party. Sample dialogue from Carla is 'Cliff I'd like to say I'm going to miss you, but I hate your stinking guts.' During the later series whenever someone gets one over on her, the audience seem to like it too. Not surprised. She's far too unpleasant a character to root for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the description. :D It's so apt.

So she gets worse. :eek: This is my first viewing of Cheers, so I am new to the characters. Thanks for answering. :)

No problem :) you can credit Cliff with the apt description! :D

I envy you being able to watch the show through 'fresh eyes'! It's a great show, and the characters really bed in as it goes on.
  • Options
    OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long for Woody. Maybe a week
    of episodes.

Indeed, I think we only have to wait till Friday, when Season 4 starts and Woody appears then.

Rebecca doesn't appear till the beginning of Season 6.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was Shelly long pregnant during the season airing on ITV4 at the moment, she looks huge. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    Was Shelly long pregnant during the season airing on ITV4 at the moment, she looks huge. :eek:

She was definitely pregnant during her tenure on the show, having her daughter in 1985. I'd guess this coincided with the filming of the series currently showing.