Options

Inside Claridge's...9pm..BBC2.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    more quality television like this is so desperately needed!
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just like being nosey and seeing in hotels that I will never afford to stay in. Would love to see inside the Ritz too.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decisions decisions over a clock!
    I cannot understand why anyone staying there would want an alarm clock. Cannot they get a morning wakeup call via the telephone. I have been in hotels where you can actually dial the time you want to wake up on the keypad on the telephone and it will then auto ring at the appropriate time.
  • Options
    mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd still want a clock to look at?
    To see the current time.

Well i'd use my phone - but i'm 26 - not their typical client i guess.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    "I don't tell people I work at Claridges.." I just appear onscreen on a documentary watched by several million :rolleyes:

You know it pays to listen to what people are saying, rather than rolling your eyes.
    Clearly stated at least 3 reasons why he didn't mention Claridge's.
    Oh it's a Doc on BBC 2 it won't be watched by millions either.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an interesting documentary.. although I sometimes feel it's not going very deep into the workings of the hotel as such. More just an overview.

Last episode next week.
  • Options
    mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an interesting documentary.. although I sometimes feel it's not going very deep into the workings of the hotel as such. More just an overview.

Last episode next week.
    Aye - i'd like to see more of the kitchens....
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I cannot understand why anyone staying there would want an alarm clock. Cannot they get a morning wakeup call via the telephone. I have been in hotels where you can actually dial the time you want to wake up on the keypad on the telephone and it will then auto ring at the appropriate time.

Whenever I stop in a hotel I unplug the alarm clock if possible just in case the previous guest has set it for a 4am wakeup. I don't know about Claridge's but housekeeping in normal hotels rarely reset them,
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,905
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »

I always pack an alarm clock whenever I stay in a hotel so I imagine there are others like me who prefer that to a phone or having the phone ringing. Mind you, I'm more of a Travelodge than Claridges type of person!
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It got 3.2m last week in the overnights!!

On course to be BBC Two's highest rated show of the week.

It was only 200k behind BBC One.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant Take to the GM at all.
    That perma Grin really is offputting
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Great show. Can I "snag" a room?
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Didn't they mention something about the new waiter having staff accommodation as part of his job?

I know when I was possibly going to do a work placement in a london hotel (not as nice as Claridges though :( ) there was staff accommodation included in the pay.

I guess the staff accomodation is free or heavily subsidised ? My dad used to work in a hotel like that, he didn't get accomodation but he got free meals there.

Most people spend most of their money on living costs so if those are catered for, minimum wage would be ok. Plus lots of them seem to have worked there for >20 years, even the cleaners so I guess they must earn enough to live on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    It got 3.2m last week in the overnights!!

On course to be BBC Two's highest rated show of the week.

It was only 200k behind BBC One.

Well hush my mouth, that's me told.
    I must say I'm surprised it's got that many viewers.
    Opposite New Tricks isn't it, which is very popular (I assume) not that I've ever watched it.

Bugger just realised why I've been humming La Vie En Rose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    And Claridges has been Slashdotted again!

Care to explain what that means to an old stupid person?
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know it pays to listen to what people are saying, rather than rolling your eyes.
    Clearly stated at least 3 reasons why he didn't mention Claridge's.

Sorry, genuinely don't understand, what was it he said that made the difference??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Care to explain what that means to an old stupid person?

If it's like last week, all the extra traffic caused by the show has brought their website down
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Never done a days work in his life, and living a life of luxury ....

Yes and?
    Luck of the draw.
    The older I get the less I understand this 'protestant work ethic' type thing.
    He's been born with golden shoes, probably so are many of us on here compared to other people probably less than a mile away from us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, genuinely don't understand, what was it he said that made the difference??

Tell me what you were rolling you eyes at.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mingymoo wrote: »
    Great show. Can I "snag" a room?

It really was home from home for the engineering guy who was trying out the bed with his shoes on. :eek:
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There doesn't appear to be many English people working there.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    There doesn't appear to be many English people working there.

I spend a lot of time in hotels in London for work and it's very rare you meet anyone who is British at all. Young people from all over Europe are happy to come to London to work long hours in jobs that the local youths wouldn't get out of bed for.

Employing an international staff also means that you have people who can speak lots of languages. One Polish barman I met on a recent trip said that apart from Polish and English he could get by in Russian, German, French and Spanish and was learning Japanese.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mentioned last week how I was impressed with the fit of the lift attendant's jacket, particularly the smooth line of the shoulders, I can't stand the lumpy effect of one or other shoulder you get with some "off the peg suits." So it was likely made to measure. This was confirmed tonight when the new waiter went to be measured for his uniform.
    The atmosphere of the hotel with it's "serial obsequiousness," for me, became a bit tiresome after a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me what you were rolling you eyes at.

"I don't tell that many people (that I work at claridges)...and I don't suppose half the people I know would know what I was talking about.....I just tell people that I work in a hotel...feel a bit flash if you start throwing claridges around...just like to keep it modest".

Bear in mind that with the rough forum tools available a rolling eyes smiley was not meant to indicate derision, just amusement at his saying that to a television camera and an audience of millions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "I don't tell that many people (that I work at claridges)...and I don't suppose half the people I know would know what I was talking about.....I just tell people that I work in a hotel...feel a bit flash if you start throwing claridges around...just like to keep it modest".

Bear in mind that with the rough forum tools available a rolling eyes smiley was not meant to indicate derision, just amusement at his saying that to a television camera and an audience of millions.

Seems like you find a chap being interviewed about his job the same thing as being a bit flash.
    Means something different to me.