Options

Worst winner ever?

Comments

• Options
    IsotopeIsotope Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is exactly how I feel, on all these talent shows, I usually understand why the person won, even if not to my personal taste, but not James Arthur, and I am totally at a loss as to why so many celebrities endorsed him too. Oh well, each to their own, I don't have to listen to him :D

Whereas to me it is very obvious why celebrities endorsed him. He's his own person, who went through a process that normally attracts people who really don't 'know' themselves, and who are as much a product of what the production crew put into them as they are themselves. It just gives him more integrity that he could go out and do it all on his own, but obviously these days, more than ever, exposure is valuable.

This is also what I liked about Rylan, he was also his own person. Not a great singer, but self-possessed and self-motivated.

As you say, each to their own, musical taste is very personal :)
  • Options
    ShAneOmaC2005ShAneOmaC2005 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HughOS wrote: »
    Perhaps you do. Leona, Alex, Little Mix, Matt, Joe and Shane are all better than him.

:o On par with Leona? I mean, come on.
    James is actually better than Leona. What planet are u on?
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J Arthur..
    aptly named
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    James is actually better than Leona. What planet are u on?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    What planet are YOU on?
  • Options
    benbeez1benbeez1 Posts: 18,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    100000000000000000000% James is the worst ever winner 2nd worst was Matt cardle but he at least showed gratitude and emotion when he won unlike that robot James HOPE HE FLOPS BADLY :yawn::yawn::sleep::sleep::yawn::yawn::sleep::sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Matt Cardle was the least impressive winner as he sang every song the same and it got really boring.

James Arthur - seems he's like Marmite, you love or hate.
    I happen to love his voice and think he's a true talent - one of the best winners if not the best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    benbeez1 wrote: »
    100000000000000000000% James is the worst ever winner 2nd worst was Matt cardle but he at least showed gratitude and emotion when he won unlike that robot James HOPE HE FLOPS BADLY

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::

Get some new material. Getting boring now.

Oh i hope he flops. How childish. Sorry to disappoint, but he will be around for a long time.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,267
    Forum Member
    James, one of the best, if not THE best, male winner.

I bet many will disagree. :(
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »

don't worry... there's at least one here who agrees with you.:D
  • Options
    Noo18Noo18 Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I really like him, he's different and i really enjoyed what he did with his songs each week. It's a personal choice and for me was a change from the bland :)
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though I wish him all the best, I can't see James doing well, I'm afraid.

The real clue is that when everything was equal and there was no hype or vitriol or campaigns about contestants, he consistently came nowhere in virtually every vote. He did not stand out amongst a packed field just by his singing.

Only after the character assassinating tabloid press articles about Chris, and James and Ella hitting the bottom 2 with a bit of controversy, did he suddenly rocket to the top, with a higher share than Chris and Jahmene put together.

Without being on TV every week I think James will struggle. His appeal seems to rest with those who think he is 'relevant' and 'credible' but no one who signs the Faustian pact with Simon Cowell or the Eurovision Song Contest can ever be 'credible'. They are by nature naff and usually a puppet singing karaoke songs to tweenagers.

I also think that James will likely struggle to transfer internationally - he doesn't have the looks or personal charisma or ability to speak well to cross borders. Few X Factor artistes can do that anyway, he's in a worse position than any of the others because his appeal is, frankly, so British working class like Coronation Street.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »
    Though I wish him all the best, I can't see James doing well, I'm afraid.

The real clue is that when everything was equal and there was no hype or vitriol or campaigns about contestants, he consistently came nowhere in virtually every vote. He did not stand out amongst a packed field just by his singing.

Only after the character assassinating tabloid press articles about Chris, and James and Ella hitting the bottom 2 with a bit of controversy, did he suddenly rocket to the top, with a higher share than Chris and Jahmene put together.

Without being on TV every week I think James will struggle. His appeal seems to rest with those who think he is 'relevant' and 'credible' but no one who signs the Faustian pact with Simon Cowell or the Eurovision Song Contest can ever be 'credible'. They are by nature naff and usually a puppet singing karaoke songs to tweenagers.

I also think that James will likely struggle to transfer internationally - he doesn't have the looks or personal charisma or ability to speak well to cross borders. Few X Factor artistes can do that anyway, he's in a worse position than any of the others because his appeal is, frankly, so British working class like Coronation Street.

James has an album ready to go. He has at least 15 tracks already recorded.

Believe me, his appeal is massive. I'm sure people like you would love to see him fail, just to say I told you so....But, you will be extremely disappointed. He will be massive.

By the way....That is no real clue at all. Not everyone who appreciates current and credible music watch X Factor. But I can assure you that a lot of people who don't even watch the show have tuned in to finally witness an artist that is unique and raw. These will be the people buying his albums. Not just the voters of X Factor. Unfortunately, that assumption is of immaterial and quite frankly; futile.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with EastEnder 39. Why do so many DS posters not see the talent in James Arthur? When he sang on top form on X Factor he was spine tingling - I am not an X factor fan (and indeed rarely post on DS and am not a relative/friend of the lad) but he is a true talent. His voice and interpretation are a rare thing on reality TV. He will last, he will do very well.
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't tell if these posters who think James is some amazing original talent are being sarcastic or not...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    its the worst winner ever year according to this site...

Haha you've pretty much summed it up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »

I don't know who will be a success or not, I've been surprised in the past about who flops and who sells records so I'm not declaring James is going to be a superstar however I do have to say that it is very clear that votes to not equal album sales.

For example with the exception of week 1 in the first 8 weeks of season 7 Matt Cardle won the vote with between 20-35% whereas One Direction pulled between 9-12% (I think one week they got 14) and they are the ones who sold more records.
  • Options
    achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James appeals to a much wider demographic than Matt. Like men, for instance.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leon Jackson retains that crown. I don't like James at all, I think his singing voice is awful, but I can appreciate that people would've been more entertained by his groaning performances than Leon's dull Sinatra-style efforts.
  • Options
    HelenHHelenH Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isotope wrote: »
    Whereas to me it is very obvious why celebrities endorsed him. He's his own person, who went through a process that normally attracts people who really don't 'know' themselves, and who are as much a product of what the production crew put into them as they are themselves. It just gives him more integrity that he could go out and do it all on his own, but obviously these days, more than ever, exposure is valuable.

This is also what I liked about Rylan, he was also his own person. Not a great singer, but self-possessed and self-motivated.

As you say, each to their own, musical taste is very personal :)

Your post sums up exactly why I think people voted for James - as the anti-Xfactor vote. People thinking he was something different to the karaoke nature of the show.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just about which has the best voice but who is the most entertaining. I'd never go to see James but Rylan even though he wasn't an amazing singer was the one I couldn't wait to see each week because he was fun and entertaining and if I was out on a night out in a club I think I'd much rather pay to see him perform than someone with zero personality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »

No I agree.

I don't have a "worst winner". I like all the females which is only LM/leona/Alex. Lol

If if I had to pick maybe Leon. He was very good but just not my type.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leon was the worst winner ever. James is one of the best.
  • Options
    shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James was my favourite from the start, i could well imagine buying his albums. I agree with whoever it was (isotope?) said he was his own person. I reckon he will do extremely well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona > Alex > James > Little Mix > Matt > Shayne > Joe > Steve

Atho i`m only really a fan of LM and i`ll give James a go when he`s ready with a record
    Leona very talented but kinda bores me
    Alex if she came back with good songs again i could be a fan
    the rest i`ve never bothered with
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nope Leon, Steve Joe and little mix are below him imo.