Options

"Full time mum" is NOT a job title

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I say I'm a full time data researcher as an excuse to explain why I'm unemployed and spend all day on the internet reading pointless information, like this thread?
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    I don't see the problem. She likely has a husband who earns the money while she looks after the kids.

Of course if single mums keep churning out kids because they'd rather do that than go back to work, then it's different.
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right and I have been a stay at home mum/housewife for 6 years and when I was asked my employment status, I said unemployed, I was corrected by the woman on the end of the phone when she asked if I claim any benefits, I don't so it is classed as housewife! My mind boggled.

Admittedly this isn't the case here but hey ho!
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did the presenter ask for a job title - or did they ask "what do you do".
  • Options
    EmmasmytheEmmasmythe Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    I was watching The Weakest Link the other day and when they all went around giving their job titles one woman said "I'm Sonia and I'm a full time mum" This kind of talk really makes me cringe and ditto when women say being a full time mum is "the hardest job in the world" Bollocks is it! You should love looking after your child, dont class it as a bloody job! :rolleyes: A job is what you do to support/feed the child.

What do you think of people who go on like this?

Why shouldnt it be a job title, are you saying women should bring up their kids for no recognition whatsoever? financial or otherwise?
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Emmasmythe wrote: »
    Why shouldnt it be a job title, are you saying women should bring up their kids for no recognition whatsoever?

They should be bringing up their children for their own pleasure not for recognition and attention of others or to make smug comments like "being a mother is the hardest job in the world" :sleep:
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EIwood wrote: »
    Can I say I'm a full time data researcher as an excuse to explain why I'm unemployed and spend all day on the internet reading pointless information, like this thread?

Don't give other unemployed people ideas. :p
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,567
    Forum Member
    I was watching The Weakest Link the other day and when they all went around giving their job titles one woman said "I'm Sonia and I'm a full time mum" This kind of talk really makes me cringe and ditto when women say being a full time mum is "the hardest job in the world" Bollocks is it! You should love looking after your child, dont class it as a bloody job! :rolleyes: A job is what you do to support/feed the child.

A bit more than people who criticize a perfectly reasonable and informative statement in answer to a question.

She didn't claim that it is a job title as such, but instead of saying somewhat misleadingly and unhelpfully "unemployed", she informed us about her main daily activity and at the same time implied rather neatly that she wasn't in paid employment. She was right, you are not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should be bringing up their children for their own pleasure not for recognition and attention of others or to make smug comments like "being a mother is the hardest job in the world" :sleep:

They dont do it for recognition, duh
    but its a big leap to say they should have none

And how do you know its not the hardest job in the world
    :)
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubrical wrote: »
    But it sounds better than saying "I'm Sonia and I'm unemployed"

:D I think it's more accurate to say "I'm Sonia and I'm an unpaid child carer, unpaid cook, unpaid housekeeper, unpaid nurse and unpaid laundry worker."
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    And how do you know its not the hardest job in the world
    :)

No offense to anyone but spending the day playing with a kid and chilling out at home is hardly a difficult life. It's really insulting to people who genuinely have a stressful job or a manager breathing down their neck all day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you have a mother and what did she do?
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why shouldnt it be a job title, are you saying women should bring up their kids for no recognition whatsoever? financial or otherwise?

I would think bringing up their kids is because they wanted kids. Not for any special recognition.

Edit: I play lots of computer games. Doesn't make it my job. I don't get paid for it. (However much I wish I did) It's something I choose to do off my own back because I want to. Nothing to do with recognition or for a wage to classify it as a job. It's a choice. 100% choice as it is to have children.
    Would be better if she said "" and I have a hobby of raising my kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    :D I think it's more accurate to say "I'm Sonia and I'm an unpaid child carer, unpaid cook, unpaid housekeeper, unpaid nurse and unpaid laundry worker."

taxi driver, homework helper, counsellor, party organiser, bed and breakfast sleepover skivvy, the list is endless
    :D
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No offense to anyone but spending the day playing with a kid and chilling out at home is hardly a difficult life. It's really insulting to people who genuinely have a stressful job or a manager breathing down their neck all day.

You've never experienced the joy of colic or teething have you :D
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member

Well I could claim that :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delete :mad:
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have a good friend who is a househusband (the wife is on very good pay).

They have two kids 4 1/2 and 2 1/2.

Your comments are ill informed and ignorant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    ruffles wrote: »
    delete :mad:

Let me guess:

"If I wrote what I wanted to I'd be banned"?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    Well I could claim that :confused:

Well, there you go. You could use that when you go on The Weakest Link. "I'm far2cool and I'm an unpaid housekeeper." :D
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taxi driver, homework helper, counsellor, party organiser, bed and breakfast sleepover skivvy, the list is endless
    :D

Shopper, present wrapper, baker, dog walker...
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Hi. I am CBFreak and I am a full-time indoors person. I get paid in benefits so it must be a job."
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Well, there you go. You could use that when you go on The Weakest Link. "I'm far2cool and I'm an unpaid housekeeper." :D

That's my real name and all :D;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS by the way folks, he is baiting so just treat him with the contempt he deserves.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah OP. She's hardly 'full-time' if she's swanning around on quiz shows too. What a disgrace! Shall we burn her? :eek: