Options

Big mistakes in television history

Comments

• Options
    brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having Dad's Army on BBC2 8pm on a SATURDAY, now I'm all for a bit of dad's army, but this is s'posed to be PRIME TIME television! Especially with only 2 weeks till christmas. What is going on!!!
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    brewer480 wrote: »
    Having Dad's Army on BBC2 8pm on a SATURDAY, now I'm all for a bit of dad's army, but this is s'posed to be PRIME TIME television! Especially with only 2 weeks till christmas. What is going on!!!

I know it should have been on BBC1

Probably the best think what's been on TV in weeks maybe months
  • Options
    brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it should have been on BBC1

Probably the best think what's been on TV in weeks maybe months

With todays TV, I do have to agree, but what happened to the really good Saturday night TV you wait all week to watch. Shows like Gladiators, Generation Game, Who wants to be a millionaire. I know these are all old now and wouldn't work if they tried to redo these programs, but they need to create somthing new that would have the same effect as these programs had.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wasn't aware that was one ;)

That's the point - there should have been a third series of Tripods.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It delivers an audience of around 2 million for BBC2 and last night comprised a tribute to Clive Dunn.
  • Options
    craigymcraigym Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    It delivers an audience of around 2 million for BBC2 and last night comprised a tribute to Clive Dunn.

Indeed, X Factor aside it's not that far behind most of ITV's Saturday night line up!

Biggest mistakes -

BBC treatment of Dr Who in the 80s, for me McCoy was a first class Doctor, hsi first season was ropey but after that he was great.

Killing Den off in EastEnders after bringing him back, he was working out just fine and it was a waste of the effort in bringing him back.

Agree re Survivors, they should have made a third series and finished it off, it wasnt doing that badly.

ITV becoming reliant on 2 soaps and reality shows, their ratings colapse for the most part when those shows aren't on.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craigym wrote: »
    Indeed, X Factor aside it's not that far behind most of ITV's Saturday night line up!

Biggest mistakes -

BBC treatment of Dr Who in the 80s, for me McCoy was a first class Doctor, hsi first season was ropey but after that he was great.

Killing Den off in EastEnders after bringing him back, he was working out just fine and it was a waste of the effort in bringing him back.

Agree re Survivors, they should have made a third series and finished it off, it wasnt doing that badly.

ITV becoming reliant on 2 soaps and reality shows, their ratings colapse for the most part when those shows aren't on.

Well if Grantham hadn't been pleasuring himself in his dressing room live on the Internet they probably wouldn't have killed him off again:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Well if Grantham hadn't been pleasuring himself in his dressing room live on the Internet they probably wouldn't have killed him off again:eek:

He then claimed the plan was always to kill him off properly this time.

I think a problem also was they waited way to late by the time he came back most of the fans had no real idea who he was
  • Options
    somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With todays TV, I do have to agree, but what happened to the really good Saturday night TV you wait all week to watch. Shows like Gladiators, Generation Game, Who wants to be a millionaire. I know these are all old now and wouldn't work if they tried to redo these programs, but they need to create somthing new that would have the same effect as these programs had.

Sorry, but is there anything actually wrong with the talent scout programme X Factor. How it takes vulnerable youngsters off the streets and grooms them for stardom, turning out polished, professional perfomers at the end of every season...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..nurse, my pills!!! :p:p:p:p:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but is there anything actually wrong with the talent scout programme X Factor. How it takes vulnerable youngsters off the streets and grooms them for stardom, turning out polished, professional perfomers at the end of every season...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..nurse, my pills!!! :p:p:p:p:p

Who 95% of the time are forgotten a few weeks later
  • Options
    Mr JazzmanMr Jazzman Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC not giving Seinfeld a chance.

That was the US comedy of the 90's, not Friends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr Jazzman wrote: »

TBH neither of the were that good
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    East Midlands Today sacking Des Coleman, a suspension would have been sufficient
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better on BBC2 than BBC1. Repeats of it kicked off the BBC1 Saturday line up for most of the 90s - indeed it must be one of the most repeats shows on the BBC along with Only Fools and Horses.

Unlike other comedy classics though it had a good run of 80 episodes, hence it is seemingly repeated far more often than the likes of Fawlty Towers which ran for 12 episodes. The trouble is the BBC are still repeating their classic classics - if repeats are a necessary evil it might be an idea to get into the 90s archive and reshow things like 2Point4Children, Men Behaving Badly and the early series of The Royle Family - though I guess the trouble with later comedy is most of it is post-watershed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Better on BBC2 than BBC1. Repeats of it kicked off the BBC1 Saturday line up for most of the 90s - indeed it must be one of the most repeats shows on the BBC along with Only Fools and Horses.

Unlike other comedy classics though it had a good run of 80 episodes, hence it is seemingly repeated far more often than the likes of Fawlty Towers which ran for 12 episodes. The trouble is the BBC are still repeating their classic classics - if repeats are a necessary evil it might be an idea to get into the 90s archive and reshow things like 2Point4Children, Men Behaving Badly and the early series of The Royle Family - though I guess the trouble with later comedy is most of it is post-watershed.
    and in the case of Men Behaving Badly and The Royle Family rubbish.

Dad's Amy was the first time I've watched BBC since Doctor Who finished and Doctor Who is the only time I put BBC on as now it's filled with Rubbish.

When it finished last night the first thing I did was put my Dad's Amy DVD on (my 3rd Box set I can't have my 4th until Christmas)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Look at the viewing figures in the USA. Better than British comedy of the same era in terms of quality.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craigym wrote: »

Biggest mistakes -

Hear, hear, the BBC unfairly killed Survivors off and then let Doctor Who, even though the stories were improving, die against Coronation St. However, I'm not as convinced about ITV being full of reality shows, maybe five or six years ago, but now there's only really I'm A Celeb and the Peter Andre stuff on ITV2.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Friends" was dire (imo), but "Seinfeld" was magnificent, the best American sitcom since "Bilko" (also imo).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Look at the viewing figures in the USA. Better than British comedy of the same era in terms of quality.

TBF I have never liked much US comedy only I Love Lucy (Plus Lucy's other shows) -Munsters- Adams Family and maybe Bewitched
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    viewing figures are no indication of quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QuincyMD wrote: »
    viewing figures are no indication of quality.

They were separate points.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBF I have never liked much US comedy only I Love Lucy (Plus Lucy's other shows) -Munsters- Adams Family and maybe Bewitched

If they're not your type of comedy that's fair enough. Was just pointing out that Seinfeld was superior to Friends yet Friends had huge popularity in this country. It was given a better platform by Channel 4 whereas Seinfeld was moved around in the schedules constantly.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Grade, when BBC1 Controller and then BBC Director of Programmes, making the decision to take the BBC down market in the mid 1980s with ratings chasing drivel such as Eastenders and Neighbours. The Beeb's been on the dumbing down slippery slope ever since, but it was Grade who put it there in the first place.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Michael Grade, when BBC1 Controller and then BBC Director of Programmes, making the decision to take the BBC down market in the mid 1980s with ratings chasing drivel such as Eastenders and Neighbours. The Beeb's been on the dumbing down slippery slope ever since, but it was Grade who put it there in the first place.

I suppose he should have left the soaps to ITV, but Grade was a good controller as he had the courage to bring back Alf Garnett, just as political correctness was taking over, and created excellent hit shows like Casualty and Wogan.
  • Options
    stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big mistakes in television history

Commissioning: Friends, TOWIE, Made in Chelsea,