Options

The reason why they are saying Lisa is the people's champion...

Comments

• Options
    VirgilHiltsVirgilHilts Posts: 2,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosaer wrote: »
    Is she the peoples champion in the same way that Cheryl Cole is the nations sweetheart?
    Yes, that is to say not at all.
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    why cant people just vote for who they think is the best?

Because the person who's the best dancer doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone. Otherwise, Denise would have the glitterball in the bag.
  • Options
    kassieqkassieq Posts: 3,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FoxyRoxi wrote: »
    I still think that like or loathe her, Lisa will be talked about on this board for a good few months after strictly has finished, no matter if she wins or not she has done very well out of her appearance and good luck to her,i loved her first dance and if i need cheering up i still watch it,its a shame in her later dances she can't keep the quality of that first dance.

Oh I can assure you Terry will see to that :rolleyes:
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosaer wrote: »
    Is she the peoples champion in the same way that Cheryl Cole is the nations sweetheart?

Please, there is no need to lower the tone of this Lisa thread by mentioning the one who forever say's she's 'Worth It' Yawn!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kassieq wrote: »
    Oh I can assure you Terry will see to that :rolleyes:

It is no secret that I'm proud to be a Lisa fan, I think she is Fabulous:)
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisa as the people's champion is like seeing Eddie the Eagle Edwards as sports personality of the year. "Fly, Lisa, fly!"
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    the best dancer shouldnt necessarily win the show?

The only way to get close to that is to base it on judges only judging technique only.
  • Options
    cyber_davcyber_dav Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a couple of years few will remember nor care who won strictly. But most will remember Lisa and Robin.

I think she is the 'real' winner and I'm pleased for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cyber_dav wrote: »
    In a couple of years few will remember nor care who won strictly. But most will remember Lisa and Robin.

I will always remember Lisa and Robin, I agree cyber they are the real winners and this years peoples champions without a doubt.
  • Options
    Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like Ann Widdecombe, John Sergeant and Russell Grant will always be remembered.
  • Options
    Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    Please, there is no need to lower the tone of this Lisa thread by mentioning the one who forever say's she's 'Worth It' Yawn!

You're always mentioning Cheryl though?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,076
    Forum Member
    Sometimes it is just nice to see a nice, down to earth person do well in these shows. It was Lisa's time to go, but she loved every minute that was evident and it made watching her more enjoyable. Personally I love seeing contestants who love every second of the strictly experience. You only had to see her emotion tonight to see how much she genuinely loved her time on the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like Ann Widdecombe, John Sergeant and Russell Grant will always be remembered.

Along with Lisa they were all the Peoples Champions of their year Julie:)
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People's champion is just a term decided by a combination of media and public reaction. Sometimes the media can help sway/over interpret things but nowadays, what with Twitter, Facebook and more commonly all the forums, a generalised type of mood (of some degree) can be gathered, presumed and hence put forward as the predominant national mood (regardless of whether factually true or not). It's pretty impossible to know what everyone thinks becasue not everyone feels a need to air it publically. Of course that gathering of mood omits the larger population that don't always venture onto these online places but can still have an opinion that they only publicise to their friends, family and other people on a person to person basis rather than online one. Half the views on DS don't even get discussed by myself and my friends normally, so sometimes (for me) it can feel like two contrasting worlds of thought with the media and online side vs the real life one.

Whatever reason Lisa was said as the people's champion is just a mix of media, public and making good stories for a show. The phrase doesn't always take into context a mass number of views, just enough for it to not be an unfounded use of phrasing (if that makes sense).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I find it a bit galling that the judges call her the "People's Champion", then thwart the public's wishes and throw her under a bus.

It's tantamount to telecommunications fraud. Spend x amount of money to save a contestant and even if that contestant gets the second highest number of votes, they are prejudicially eliminated.

Be interesting to hear the opinions of lawyers on this.
  • Options
    TrumblesTrumbles Posts: 7,782
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    But Sargent - a previous 'people's champion' - correctly diagnosed the problem. There was no get-Sargent-out candidate.

The public vote can't possibly represent all strands of opinion accurately. I'm not advocating a different system but it's a blunt instrument in terms of democracy.
    This is very true. SCD will only ever have positive voting but it does favour cult candidates.

Someone who can get, say, 15% or so of the voting public consistently backing them is likely to go far in the competition even if the majority would be more than happy to see them leave.

How that applies to Lisa I don't know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    the peoples champion is a phrase invented by suppoters of a loser
  • Options
    Sho NuffSho Nuff Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    If you are a "People's Champion" wouldn't that mean you would win, even though you got lowest judges points??
    So how can that term apply to Lisa?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't remember who won the year John Sargent won so you might be right
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sho Nuff wrote: »
    If you are a "People's Champion" wouldn't that mean you would win, even though you got lowest judges points??
    So how can that term apply to Lisa?

Perhaps they could replace it with "The celebrity that the morons amongst the Great British Public vote to keep out of the dance off". That should go down well, along with the viewing figures.

jackbell wrote: »
    I can't remember who won the year John Sargent won so you might be right

I know Russell Grant was in last years competition but can't even remember anything danced by Harry whatsHisName, oh yes Judd wasn't it, from McFly.

The John Sergeant / Anne Widdecombe types of the competition are the ones who are remembered. The competent, as opposed to truly outstanding, dancers just melt into the background of also rans.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »

The John Sergeant / Anne Widdecombe types of the competition are the ones who are remembered the competent, as opposed to truly outstanding, dancers just melt into the background.

I dunno about that, of course John and Anne are remembered but I would say Jill Halfpenny is very well remembered considering she was in an earlier series before the massive hype Strictly started to get, Kara, Zoe, Colin, Emma etc

It's a mixed bag, I barely remembered Ricky Whittle was on the show until I saw him in the audience the other night but I do remember Chris and Ola that year.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't Jill Halfpenny's jive thought of as outstanding, as it keeps being mentioned, what about her other dances?

Then there was the memorable Colin Jackson and Erin Boag show dance, what was the other dance?

(I had to look it up, Darren Gough)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked Lisa and Len was right - she did light up the room with her personality and sense of fun.

However, her dancing was not too brilliant and SCD is about dancing a dance well and, sadly, Lisa just didn't hit the mark. I will miss her though but wouldn't have wanted to see better dancers go before her.
  • Options
    LisaCLisaC Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    They should have a Wildcard system so that GBP can keep in people they want to keep watching, but without equating that to dance ability.
    It's the pretence of competence that people with a keen sense of fairness find difficult. If they just made it easy to keep her because you like her, but without pretending she can dance, that will suit everyone.
    Then she can be people's champion without being dance champion.
  • Options
    NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not the peoples champion, if she were then she would have topped the vote on Saturday and not been in the dance off. I suspect that accolade goes to Louis.