Options

Warning, Apple maps can kill!

Comments

• Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    As the point keeps being made, the usability of a screen is more than just screen resolution, it would appear that you can only see specs not look with your own eyes. All things being equal, of course I prefer a retina screen, but there is something about the iPad mini screen that makes it easier to read than the Nexus 7, perhaps it's all down to the 4:3.
    And yes, I would have preferred the iP5 to have been fatter rather than longer and if an S3 ran IOS I would buy it like a shot. However, I have to have IOS, not because of Apple loyalty but because it actually does lots of things that Android cannot do for me e.g. It will be at least another year before I can run the Virgin TV Anywhere App for my Tivo and there is no remote control app for Android for the ProPresenter projection software that I use heavily and the list goes on and on. I actually like Android and appreciate some of its additional features over IOS (particularly user accounts and the swype style keyboard) but whether you want to hear it or not developers still tend to develop for IOS first.

For non Apple owners/followers, can you explain what BIB means? Is "retina screen" about PPI, brightness, contrast, resolution, or is it just Apple Magic Fairy dust that is sprinkled on screens made by exactly the same manufacturers than make screen for everyone else?
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For non Apple owners/followers, can you explain what BIB means? Is "retina screen" about PPI, brightness, contrast, resolution, or is it just Apple Magic Fairy dust that is sprinkled on screens made by exactly the same manufacturers than make screen for everyone else?

it's about PPI.
    the PPI is high enough that the eye can no longer pick out individual pixels.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    So what is it about the lower res Mini screen that you prefer? What makes it better? The colour?

Just using them side by side at the moment (I am reading the forum on the Nexus and replying on the iPad), and I think it all comes down to size of the screen. The Nexus is undoubtedly a better more legible display, but the sheer size of the iPad one wins it for me. It means I can either see more without scrolling or I can zoom in to avoid donning my reading glasses. Because of the smaller bezels and the thinness/lightness of the iPad it doesn't feel a bigger device. The only downside form factor wise is that the iPad is slightly harder to hold in one hand.
    Overall it's a close run thing, if I was more dependent on the Google ecosystem I would probably choose the Nexus 7.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what is it about the lower res Mini screen that you prefer? What makes it better? The colour?

Can I turn that question around. How much do you think it matters when using the machine? When I tried them side by side I could see no difference. There was a hd movie download that looked slightly better on the nexus and i tried iplayer that looked worst.

The main place I watch movies/video is on the train where lighting conditions, angles etc have a greater impact on the viewing pleasure.

Normal web browsing/emai/appsl look no different on either machine. Maybe my eyes are not conditioned to the higher res screens?

People using terms like blurry is rediculas.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Can I turn that question around. How much do you think it matters when using the machine? When I tried them side by side I could see no difference. There was a hd movie download that looked slightly better on the nexus and i tried iplayer that looked worst.

well I think I may just trust reviews with regard to that over you ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    well I think I may just trust reviews with regard to that over you ;)

Yeah, a review by someone else is always better than using it yourself.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, a review by someone else is always better than using it yourself.:rolleyes:

I actually said over your opinion you will find :D for obvious reasons
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That wasn't the message from Apple when retina came out though was it?

It also wont be the message from Apple when the mini retina comes out.

It just seems so inconsistent, based purely on what the current Apple devices do. If they do it its great, if they dont then its not needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The main place I watch movies/video is on the train where lighting conditions, angles etc have a greater impact on the viewing pleasure.

Normal web browsing/emai/appsl look no different on either machine. Maybe my eyes are not conditioned to the higher res screens?

Personally, I think hi res is less important for movies than text. I'm currently looking at SPOTY via iPlayer on both the iPad and Nexus side by side. I much prefer the Pad just cos it's bigger, but then I'm not terribly discerning when it comes to HD viewing - I often don't bother to change BBC from 101 to 108 to get the HD version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, something I didn't mention just now was the sound. There is really no comparison - running them side by side I realised just how much better the iPad sounds, it fills the room whereas the Nexus sounds tinny. I couldn't even hear the Nexus when I had them running simultaneously. An immensely better video viewing experience.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    P...hi res is less important for movies than text. I'm currently looking at SPOTY via iPlayer on both the iPad and Nexus side by side. I much prefer the Pad just cos it's bigger,..
    That's why I think the iPad 2 is better than the Mini. The Mini needed GPS to give it more identity.

Unless you do mean the Mini and stretch everything taller out to remove those big black bars.
    I'm sure you can get used to looking at skinnier objects or a trimmer version of the original.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It just seems so inconsistent, based purely on what the current Apple devices do. If they do it its great, if they dont then its not needed.

of course retina is the greatest thing in the world ever unless of course a device doesn't have it then it's not needed it is quite mystifying but this does seem to apply to many many things.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see know where you guys are going wrong.

If someone looks at different devices, weighs up the pros and cons for them, and decides on one or other of those products, even though it may not have feature x, that is quite different from saying that feature x starts off as unimportant, and then becomes "the greatest thing in the world ever".

Suppose, for example, there are two devices.

Device A has features a, b, c, x, y

Device A has features b, c, x, y, z

Someone may choose Device A because they value features a, b, c and x the most, and only Device A has feature a.

If Device A were to later include feature z, then great. But that's not the same saying it was unimportant to begin with, and suddenly becomes the best feature ever. It was just less important out of a number of features, for a particular individual.

Stop putting words in people's mouths.

From where I am standing, kidspud has been trying to patiently explain his or her preferences, and all you're doing is waffling on about whatever marketing spiel Apple might put out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    I actually said over your opinion you will find :D for obvious reasons

Well please don't think I was giving my view as some sort of review. It was my opinion and not in order to convince others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know. I've never actually bought something on the basis of what a manufacturer says. Is that what you do?
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tou, and indeed, che! :D

Probably not, but haven't you heard? Apparently its what everyone who buys Apple products do.

That should of course have been Device A and Device B above by the way.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Probably not, but haven't you heard? Apparently its what everyone who buys Apple products do.

or so the anti-apple brigade would like everyone to believe :D
    it's a wonder they have enough time to enjoy the products they actually do own, they seem to spend all their time telling everyone else their products are rubbish!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    That's why I think the iPad 2 is better than the Mini. The Mini needed GPS to give it more identity.

Unless you do mean the Mini and stretch everything taller out to remove those big black bars.
    I'm sure you can get used to looking at skinnier objects or a trimmer version of the original.

Obviously if you want to watch a movie, then a full size iPad is going to look better than a mini. But the whole point of the mini is its size - it fits in my jacket pocket and as they say "the one that you have with you is better than the one you don't"
    Also, I don't notice the black bars, but that might just be a function of having the black model. If I think about it I can see whether it is letter boxed, but generally I just don't notice or care.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    it's about PPI.
    the PPI is high enough that the eye can no longer pick out individual pixels.

But the Nexus 4 has higher PPI than Apples retina display. Does that make it a better display? Or are the extra pixels pointless?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the Nexus 4 has higher PPI than Apples retina display. Does that make it a better display? Or are the extra pixels pointless?

Yep, when retina was announce i believe it needed to be 300ppi, but the Mini is below that.

I also believe its to do with the distance you must hold it from your eyes for it to be acceptable. As long as you follow these Apple guidelines in using your device the Mini is perfect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is a very good question, how high does the PPI have to go before you cannot tell the difference?

Also PPI is only one measure, there is that interesting website ( displaymate) that analyses all aspects of display (colour, contrast, brightness, etc). It comes out with some very interesting findings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, when retina was announce i believe it needed to be 300ppi, but the Mini is below that.

I also believe its to do with the distance you must hold it from your eyes for it to be acceptable. As long as you follow these Apple guidelines in using your device the Mini is perfect.

Why are you so obsessed with (interpreting) what apple says:confused:

Have they claimed the mini has a retina display?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you so obsessed with (interpreting) what apple says:confused:

Have they claimed the mini has a retina display?

No, but they will next spring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but they will next spring.

I'll be honest, I'm totally confused what you see the problem is. Apple have released a product, and in the future may release an upgrade (I assume google will do the same).

Are you saying people should not be allowed the choice to buy one?

I assume you thought it was ok when google upgraded the memory capacity on the nexus?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be honest, I'm totally confused what you see the problem is. Apple have released a product, and in the future may release an upgrade (I assume google will do the same).

Are you saying people should not be allowed the choice to buy one?

I assume you thought it was ok when google upgraded the memory capacity on the nexus?

Its more like when people say 4:3 is best like on the mini now, then they bring out a wide screen version (like iphone 5), then suddenly thats the best.

I'm not reiterating what apple say here, but what has happened in the past where posters have changed their POV aligned entirely with Apple.

Choice? Choice is great. I love choice. Upgrades are great and happen all the time. But you dont care about upgrades do you? I didn't think you cared about spec, you only care about the end user exp?