Options

The Killing III - BBC 4 Pace ***NO SPOILERS***

Comments

• Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ending felt like a cop-out to me, the natural ending would be for her to get shot, shoot herself, or face the music and go to jail.

This was a none-ending. Does Borch or her seriously think she can go on the run for long? There'll be a manhunt for her and her picture will be all over the media. She'll be caught, and then what?

Even if she could solve the other murders which is extremely unlikely since she no longer has the resources to do so, do they think that the powers that be would allow such an investigation? There will be another cover up.

Bent coppers aren't treated too welll in jail by either the prisoners or the screws, at least over here. Either way her life, and lets face it, she isn't just married to her job she is her job - is over. This was merely postponing the inevitable.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    officials for last week:
    1 THE KILLING III (SAT 2101) 1,099
    2 THE KILLING III (SAT 2201) 1,036

full table to date:

officials to date (no HD):
    e1 THE KILLING III (SAT 2102) 1,264
    e2 THE KILLING III (SAT 2201) 1,111
    e3 THE KILLING III (SAT 2101) 1,090
    e4 THE KILLING III (SAT 2201) 999
    e5 THE KILLING III (SAT 2101) 1,000
    e6 THE KILLING III (SAT 2201) 1,023
    e7 THE KILLING III (SAT 2101) 1,099
    e8 THE KILLING III (SAT 2201) 1,036

overnights:
    e1:1.04m inc HD
    e2: 784k inc HD
    e3: 834k no HD?
    e4: 751k no HD?
    e5: 735k no HD?
    e6: 676k no HD?
    e7: 773k no HD?
    e8: 647k no HD?
    e9: 811k no HD?
    e10:714k no HD?

K
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Severian wrote: »
    One theme, if it can be called that, I’ve noticed in TK3 is the number of characters who had personality inversions by (and most of them in) the last episode.

Borch - Yeah, O.K., in an earlier episode he managed to get Sarah to take her sweater off (but only to have sex with her,) but only became truly protective of her right at the end (although, and I don‘t subscribe to this theory, he might have facilitated her flight to get her out of the way on behalf of his S.B. bosses.)

Karen - archetypal, amoral political fixer who suddenly found a social conscience that seemed to transcend her infatuation with Kamper.

Kamper - I could understand, but never agree with, his reluctance to reveal all if he had just won his first election. But it wasn‘t his first. He’d been there, and seemed exhausted by the intrigue.

Mogens Rank - a perpetual Mr Bumble who suddenly became a sinister, malevolent force. It was like the ‘Wizard of Oz’ in reverse. Just Daft.

Sarah - perhaps not a character inversion, but an increasingly exaggerated portrayal of her worst anti-social traits, culminating in her rejecting a family life (with her bigger family and Borch,) by choosing a short-cut method of justice - because she felt she couldn’t nail Reinhardt by other means. Not the Sarah of Series 1.

Brix - Brix was Brix throughout. Good man, or android, or whatever.

I think the balance of the plots in the 3 series shifted from Policing/side plots in the political arena in the first series, to Politics/Big Business/Policing by the third. Sarah did seem to be just part of the show, rather than the core of it, in the third series.

In other words basically the same ingredients for each of the three series!
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me, the great thing about TK1 was that it was about ordinary people and the effects of a murder of a child. Even the killer was a small, ordinary person, who had killed out of fear and need and hatred, and was not powerful or superhuman in any way. The political bit was only important because relatively powerful people had interacted with the victim.

In TK2, the politics were pulled to the fore, and the victims were only there to give the killer people to kill. The killer had access to the investigation in a pretty unbelievable way, and was very slightly superhuman.

In TK3, the politics were really all that mattered. The victims - murder and kidnap - were cardboard characters whose life-stories barely mattered to the plot. The killer was absolutely superhuman. The impetus of the story was not to solve the crimes, but to be cynical about politicians and business people.

Me, I think Soren jumped the shark sometime during TK2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    officials for last week:

full table to date:

overnights:

K

Thanks Kenny. Welcome as always.

The Guardian have the HD figures for the overnights.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/dec/17/the-killing-bbc4-tv-ratings

ep9: 965k incl HD
    ep10:849k incl HD

I think I read the article correctly?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    officials for last week:

full table to date:

overnights:

K

Equivalent officials from the DR broadcast

1 1,678,000
    2 1,746,000
    3 1,516,000
    4 1,463,000
    5 1,644,000
    6 1,703,000
    7 1,706,000
    8 1,708,000
    9 1,773,000
    10 1,981,000

Both broadcasts had episode 4 as a series low. The series has been screened in three countries including Norway where early episodes were considerably lower than series 2 and the Monday 10pm screenings weere regularly beaten by competition on other channels.

In series 1, episode 4 was also the episode with the lowest ratings on both DR and BBC. Borgen series 1 episode 4 also had the lowest ratings on both DR and BBC. Borgen series 2 ep 4 had the lowest ratings on DR. To keep things consistent The Bridge ep 4 was also DR's lowest, but the second lowest for BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well that's good to know. It means that there are at least another 130,000 - 150,000 watching on HD that then do not get included in the final "official" figure released on the following Monday.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The sub-headline is very misleading though and makes the reader believe that 1.8 million have watched The Killing at some point between 9pm and 11pm on Sat night wheras in fact the real figure is around 900,000 with THE SAME VIEWERS then going onto watch the next episode.

I doubt that The Guardian would report "EastEnders gains a total of 32 million viewers" for two Xmas Day eps with ratings of 17m and 15m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sub-headline is very misleading though and makes the reader believe that 1.8 million have watched The Killing at some point between 9pm and 11pm on Sat night wheras in fact the real figure is around 900,000 with THE SAME VIEWERS then going onto watch the next episode.

I doubt that The Guardian would report "EastEnders gains a total of 32 million viewers" for two Xmas Day eps with ratings of 17m and 15m.

Agree. I had to read it twice to make sure I understood it properly. But then again not a ratings expert so no surprise there.:):) I did wonder if adding up the totals for the last two eps was acceptable. Surely they should have done an average?

How did the finale go down in Denmark VV? Seems a lot of people in the UK were not happy with it at all. The two most common complaints are it was out of character for Lund to execute Reinhardt. And the whole running away to Iceland was nonsense, unworkable etc. As if the last five minutes had been made up on the hoof and tacked on.

I can accept Lund murdering Reinhardt. It being ''out of character'' doesn't bother me. I had trouble with the flight to Iceland though. Will reassess that on rewatch. TVU said he didn't find the whole escape to Iceland plot unbelievable at all. Did the Danes find this plausible or not. Of course there is no guarantee the hasty escape worked in the end. Lund could have been arrested when she landed in Iceland.
  • Options
    ChapelambleChapelamble Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the ending though I would have left Sarah in the car rather than the plane. There are lots of problems with the plot, in particular only 1 person being involved in seeking revenge for Louise.

If Sarah faced the music would a jury convict. If I was on the jury I would not convict.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, full table to date (with BKs HD figures):

overnights:
    ep9: 965k inc HD
    ep10:849k inc HD

K
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,844
    Forum Member
    A cut to credits at the point she fired the gun would have made the better ending in my view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agree. I had to read it twice to make sure I understood it properly. But then again not a ratings expert so no surprise there.:):) I did wonder if adding up the totals for the last two eps was acceptable. Surely they should done an average?

How did the finale go down in Denmark VV? Seems a lot of people in the UK were not happy with it at all. The two most common complaints are it was out of character for Lund to execute Reinhardt. And the whole running away to Iceland was nonsense, unworkable etc. As if the last five minutes had been made up on the hoof and tacked on.

I can accept Lund murdering Reinhardt. It being ''out of character'' doesn't bother me. I had trouble with the flight to Iceland though. Will reassess that on rewatch. TVU said he didn't find the whole escape to Iceland plot unbelievable at all. Did the Danes find this plausible or not. Of course there is no guarantee the hasty escape worked in the end. Lund could have been arrested when she landed in Iceland.

From what I have heard and read the reaction in Denmark has been very similar to the UK in terms of newspaper reviews and viewers opinions. It seems that opinion was divided 50/50 with viewers in the immediate few days after the screening of ep 10, but the vast majority of the Danish press thought that it was excellent. It seems similar here with viewers being 50/50 and the press generally being very positive. The Daily Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9746274/The-Killing-III-episodes-nine-and-10-BBC-Four-review.html gives it 5 out of 5 as does The Times this morning which I picked up.
    It ended last Monday in Norway and I haven't bothered to see what reaction/ratings there were although I know that early eps of series 3 were significantly lower than series 2 but NRK had some heavy competition in the timeslot.

Myself, I feel that TK3 was better than TK2 but not as good as TK1. Overall I loved the show and would give TK as a whole 10 out of 10. I equally like Borgen, but I feel I like the fovcus on relationships in Borgen more than in TK.

I'm glad Sarah didn't die and I'm happy that Sveistrup let the viewer themself decide what will be Lund's eventual fate. What a character though!!!

Look out for Kristian Kamper in Borgen s2 ep1 where he is interviewed by Katrine!!!! All she needs now is the PM from TK2 and she will have had interviews with all 4 Danish PMs from TK and Borgen,
  • Options
    SeverianSeverian Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    In other words basically the same ingredients for each of the three series!

To paraphrase Eric Morecambe: -

"All the right ingredients, but not necessarily in the right order."

The emphasis (order of importance) went awry (away from Sarah and her brand of policing) during TK2 - as saralund said above: -
    Me, I think Soren jumped the shark sometime during TK2.

I also agree with saralund that the characters became more unbelievable and less engaging after TK1, which is the only series I would watch again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the ending though I would have left Sarah in the car rather than the plane. There are lots of problems with the plot, in particular only 1 person being involved in seeking revenge for Louise.

If Sarah faced the music would a jury convict. If I was on the jury I would not convict.

She would have to be tried in Norway - where the crime took place? She wouldn't be tried in Denmark would she.

And do they have jury trials in Norway. I honestly don't know the answer to that. If I was on the jury I would find it hard to not convict her of murder. Was Anders Breivik found guilty by a jury. Or was it a panel of judges in his trial?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She would have to be tried in Norway - where the crime took place? She wouldn't be tried in Denmark would she.

And do they have jury trials in Norway. I honestly don't know the answer to that. If I was on the jury I would find it hard to not convict her of murder. Was Anders Breivik found guilty by a jury. Or was it a panel of judges in his trial?

She would be tried in Norway, however I would expect a very lenient punishment for her there, even more so than in Denmark.
    Good to see Norway's POLITI as well in ep 10, although it was hard to fathom out whether some of them were Danish or Norwegian. At least the Swedish police are easier to recognise - they all wear their unusual caps and are called POLIS.
    I also read a while ago that Norway, along with the UK and New Zealand is one of the few nations in the world that does not routinely arm their police force.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In the middle of January, Unit One (Rejseholdet) is released on DVD in the UK. It's the first ten epsiodes, but these ten are Danish gold!!! From 2000, there's many familiar faces.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She would be tried in Norway, however I would expect a very lenient punishment for her there, even more so than in Denmark.
    Good to see Norway's POLITI as well in ep 10, although it was hard to fathom out whether some of them were Danish or Norwegian. At least the Swedish police are easier to recognise - they all wear their unusual caps and are called POLIS.
    I also read a while ago that Norway, along with the UK and New Zealand is one of the few nations in the world that does not routinely arm their police force.

I like to keep an eye on the uniforms. It's the only way I can tell which country they are from. :o:o Otherwise The Bridge would have been very confusing.

Although I spotted Loke was speaking Swedish straight away. So there may be hope for me. The Norwegian police have a distinctive badge. They usually have it on their sleeves or caps.
    http://www.phs.no/Global/Seksjonssidebilder/Politi000140.jpg

The Danish police badge has three lions in it.
    http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000FVt6bb7caWw/s/860/860/Police-Violate-Human-Rights-at-UN-Summit-05.jpg

Interesting article in the NY Times on Norwegian police not being routinely armed.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/26/world/europe/26police.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I like to keep an eye on the uniforms. It's the only way I can tell which country they are from. :o:o Otherwise The Bridge would have been very confusing.

Although I spotted Loke was speaking Swedish straight away. So there may be hope for me. The Norwegian police have a distinctive badge. They usually have it on their sleeves or caps.
    http://www.phs.no/Global/Seksjonssidebilder/Politi000140.jpg

Interesting article in the NY Times on Norwegian police not being routinely armed.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/26/world/europe/26police.html

:):):)

The first time I ever heard what turned out to be Danish, I guessed that it was actually German with a very strange dialect.
    Good that you can distinguish Swedish from Danish too. Swedish is much clearer to understand than Danish. Danish I find a horrible language to try to understand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the middle of January, Unit One (Rejseholdet) is released on DVD in the UK. It's the first ten epsiodes, but these ten are Danish gold!!! From 2000, there's many familiar faces.

Nice one VV

Karen is in this!!!:):)

And Troels better looking brother.

Amazon have it for pre-order for £17. Released on the 21st January according to this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unit-One-Season-1-DVD/dp/B00A9YBW9K/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1355762750&sr=1-2

Nice belated stocking filler for MrsBK;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Equivalent officials from the DR broadcast

1 1,678,000
    2 1,746,000
    3 1,516,000
    4 1,463,000
    5 1,644,000
    6 1,703,000
    7 1,706,000
    8 1,708,000
    9 1,773,000
    10 1,981,000

Both broadcasts had episode 4 as a series low. The series has been screened in three countries including Norway where early episodes were considerably lower than series 2 and the Monday 10pm screenings were regularly beaten by competition on other channels.

In series 1, episode 4 was also the episode with the lowest ratings on both DR and BBC. Borgen series 1 episode 4 also had the lowest ratings on both DR and BBC. Borgen series 2 ep 4 had the lowest ratings on DR. To keep things consistent The Bridge ep 4 was also DR's lowest, but the second lowest for BBC.
    OK, full table to date (with BKs HD figures):

overnights:
    ep9: 965k inc HD
    ep10:849k inc HD

K

Thanks again guys. Episode 4 in the UK does stand out as the only one which didn't break the 1m barrier - though HD figures will take care of that I imagine. Kenny T has pointed out before that ep 6 got higher ratings than the one before. A first for any subbed euro drama on BBC4 we assume.

Tea time so bye for now:)
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In his trial there were two judges plus three members of the public known as lay judges. So they seem to have a mix there of a smaller version of a jury plus qualified judges. Maybe TVU will explain further.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And Troels better looking brother.

Do you mean Mads Mikkelsen? Lars is far better looking than him IMO! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In his trial there were two judges plus three members of the public known as lay judges. So they seem to have a mix there of a smaller version of a jury plus qualified judges. Maybe TVU will explain further.

Thanks TLP. I didn't follow the Breivik trial but saw the news reports on it. I thought I remembered talk of a different trial set up from the UK jury one. But his trial may have been unusual because of the unique circumstances.
    Do you mean Mads Mikkelsen? Lars is far better looking than him IMO! :D

I did and of course he is. Apologies to any and all Troels obsessives. :D:D
    Speaking of...
    http://www.zazzle.co.uk/giraffe+lovers+gifts