Options

Inside Claridge's...9pm..BBC2.

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    London University student accommodation. Ensuite rom £40, shared bathroom £22. I stayed in there a couple of years ago , for £35 a night. Just a bed and a bathroom , but what more do you want . They also have a kitchen in which you can prepare your own food. It was in Holborn which is a much more central location ( fo me anyway) than Claridges.

http://www.londonuniversityrooms.co.uk/?gclid=CPXI_qjGm7QCFTDMtAodbl8ANg

I'm sure that's fine for just yourself but maybe not if you were planning on taking someone for a romantic weekend away in London and were hoping to get some action. :)
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't feel that sorry for him to be honest. If he was really that unhappy and poorly paid, why work there for >20? >25 years. Wouldn't he be better off on benefits?

I'm sure that most people on this thread have a job. I can't think of many people in my workplace who have worked there for >20 years (one possibly?) ....

How many in your workplace have worked there for such a long time?

Where I work longest serving member of staff has been there since 1976 - I'll probably clock up 20 years as I will have done 15 in February
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    daisydee wrote: »
    I stayed in this type of accomodation some years ago, somewhere near Goodge St Tube station. Cost £9 for a single room with washbasin. Communal bathroom, packed breakfast, but other breakfasts available at extra cost. All very clean and studenty - no where comparable to Claridges :D and only available out of term time.

Bet there was plenty of Lino, just like david1955 says there is in Claridges.

I really shouldn't be adding to this daft tangent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm sure that's fine for just yourself but maybe not if you were planning on taking someone for a romantic weekend away in London and were hoping to get some action. :)

I think you could be correct there, but I wouldn't take them to Claridge's. We might get disturbed by the sound of a butler pushing a trolley load of champagne and oysters down the linoleum corridors
  • Options
    OldvinylOldvinyl Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Quite clearly guests have so much money they are bored and don't know what to do with it. I feel sorry for the guests in a way, If I had that money I would start businesses and TV channels, do something productive.

Totally agree. How people can be rich and bored is beyond me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mincepie wrote: »
    Aye - i'd like to see more of the kitchens....
    The kitchens? It's a programme about a top hotel for the mega rich, and you want to see more of the kitchens? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What dirty closets?
    Even the rich realise buildings have to be built and maintained.
    They're paying a premium to get the 'Swan' experience, it's all serenity front of house, above the water line.
    Below the waterline there's lots of staff and thrashing about.

In fact this doc is rather a good advert for the Claridge's, fair number of very long term staff.
    Lots of attention to detail, pride in their work and pride in the business their working for and a sense of the history of the place.

Dirty closets, years ago (50's IIRC) there was a Doc about the Ritz or Savoy and it showed the terrible working conditions, treatment and pay of the back of house staff, caused a bit of a fuss IIRC.

Yes I was getting this impression. Excepting the fact that the retired gangster shows up every morning and waltzes through the ground floor for breakfast :D

Edit; Ooops, he's a Bookmaker not a gangster. Apologies if he reads this.:o

Edit 2; Apology rescinded. he was a mate of the Kray twins - I was right first time :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonburn wrote: »
    I really dont like the Manager when you look at the hotels in Richard E grants show they really are amazing compared to Claridges.

its been brilliant seeing the workings of the Hotel and the room for many of us will never seen them,But agree for the price theres been nothing mega stand out or opulent.Given the location of the hotel the rates alone must be through the roof and factor into the prices they charge.

At this hotel I think you are paying for the 'ambience', this can't be bought like 'mega stand out or opulent' ... it takes years to achieve it, not money.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't feel that sorry for him to be honest. If he was really that unhappy and poorly paid, why work there for >20? >25 years. Wouldn't he be better off on benefits?

I'm sure that most people on this thread have a job. I can't think of many people in my workplace who have worked there for >20 years (one possibly?) ....

How many in your workplace have worked there for such a long time?
    Certainly wouldn't be better off on benefits thats for sure! The reason they have quite a number of long term employees is a reflection on the employer, good t&c's, and a reasonably decent wage.

Where I used to work there were many who had never worked anywhere else since leaving school and had 40 - 45yrs service. Employees with 25+ yrs service were 'ten a penny'! I was one myself with 30 years.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bump bump.. hi all.. here we go..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet BBC are furious they didnt make this a 6 part series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening :)
  • Options
    applepie2100applepie2100 Posts: 23,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More madness awaits!

Live ants :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh - now all the dignitaries that could have screwed up transport around London..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over 62 years, did I hear that right? :eek:
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Why does a house porter look so smart" just about sums up the quality of questions in this documentary, the only let down for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep and at 3,5k per night you can see why they are bending over backwards for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You did!

Sounds like he looks after them as much as they look after him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owner of Tate and Lyle...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With that level of loyalty I'd have expected Thomas to be meeting him...
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With that level of loyalty I'd have expected Thomas to be meeting him...

I think with him being such a regular they probably don't need to do that and i'm sure he doesn't mind. He just wants to come 'home'.. probably doesn't need the VIP welcome every single time.
  • Options
    wmoorewmoore Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is Thomas ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Keeper of the Lift"
    thats goto be the best Title there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wmoore wrote: »
    Where is Thomas ?

That's a very good question!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And of course, they had to be put up across Zone 1 from the actual Olympic sites, didn't they....