Options

Warning, Apple maps can kill!

Comments

• Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    every time I ask you to justify your position you can't can you .... can you point me to usage stats for apps that you claim are a more accurate reflection than download figures yes or no?

You've not answered a single question and have put no effort to answer your own questions.

Look up the business model for google maps. I'm not interested in proving your ridicules statements wrong if you can't even think about it yourself. You obviously have spent no time working in technology or business.

You carry on in your own little world, you embarrass no one but yourself.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    every time I ask you to justify your position you can't can you .... can you point me to usage stats for apps that you claim are a more accurate reflection than download figures yes or no?

Do you not agree that usage stats would be a more accurate reflection than download figures? Surely you must agree that they would be?

Usgae stats would not be that easy to find compared to the number of download as they could be commercially sensitive – but I’m sure if you look round you’ll find some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You clearly have no idea how TV ratings have been complied do you think every ones channel choice is beamed out and collated do you.

Erm…no…I said only a few viewers get monitored and then they work it out from there…you need to read and understand what people are saying before replying to them.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I'm going to stop you right there, because that's where you are going wrong.

No-one has said that downloads mean nothing, and only usage means anything.

What people have said is that downloads alone don't tell the whole picture, and that the amount an app is actually used also plays a part.

For whatever reason, you still haven't said whether or not you agree with this statement:

It's reasonable to think that people think more of apps they use a lot than they do of apps they virtually never use.

Presumably because of course you do agree, but don't want to concede even that much.

au contraire that is exactly what has been said started I believe by chenks which I quoted a little while back for you and supported by a number of people so don't be back tracking now.

I have already said that if such data could be obtained all well and good yes but as it can't it's a moot point. but 10 million downloads tells the story and dismissing that as users have done is just ridiculous and shows the level of support certain people feel they need to show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Erm…no…I said only a few viewers get monitored and then they work it out from there…you need to read and understand what people are saying before replying to them.

So how you say Google assess usage is not akin to how TV ratings are obtained as you claimed :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    au contraire that is exactly what has been said started I believe by chenks which I quoted a little while back for you and supported by a number of people so don't be back tracking now.

I have already said that if such data could be obtained all well and good yes but as it can't it's a moot point. but 10 million downloads tells the story and dismissing that as users have done is just ridiculous and shows the level of support certain people feel they need to show.

Even if Chenks has, then I don't belive anyone else has said that about downloads. You can't throw everyone in together with one useer.

We have already told you that it can be calculated so it's not about showing support - just stating how it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So how you say Google assess usage is not akin to how TV ratings are obtained as you claimed.

Ah, so you did misunderstand.

I said Google can get user data from some users when they log in and use Google Maps…and I said that they don’t need data from every user. I then compared it to how TV ratings are compared when they find the usage of some viewers and then work out h total usage/viewership.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think maybe you took him too literally. I got the impression it was more that he was adding that usage is also important.

Do you not think that how much people use an app is relevant?

Because that seems to me to be an absurd position to take.

Which is probably why you have yet to actually that incredibly simple question I've asked you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Even if Chenks has, then I don't belive anyone else has said that about downloads. You can't throw everyone in together with one useer.

We have already told you that it can be calculated so it's not about showing support - just stating how it is.

you are surly having a laugh now you need to keep up if you think it just one has claimed this.

And no you have not shown me how app usage is calculated, obtained, shown, in preference to the amount of downloads of an app at all :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you are surly having a laugh now you need to keep up if you think it just one has claimed this.

And no you have not shown me how app usage is calculated, obtained, shown, in preference to the amount of downloads of an app at all :confused:

So who did then? Seeing as you are keeping up :D

We have shown different ways but you refuse to believe they are real.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    My S3 uses a microUSB :D

And my iP5 uses a lightning connector - which happens (for me) to have a huge advantage because when I am driving I can plug it into my phone without needing to look at it, hence enhancing safety. Now, your point re micro USB ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So who did then? Seeing as you are keeping up :D

We have shown different ways but you refuse to believe they are real.

shown different ways have you? show me an example of one app that these usage stats can be demonstrated for just one or at least tell me when Google maps usage stats will be available.

10, 20, 70 million downloads of an app all can be dismissed until this mythical usage can be shown. it is getting a little silly now so if you wish to believe that those 10 million who have got Google maps in less than 2 days aren't going to use it and it is no reflection on ios maps go ahead no one clearly can deflect you in your views in relation to apple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shown different ways have you? show me an example of one app that these usage stats can be demonstrated for just one or at least tell me when Google maps usage stats will be available.

10, 20, 70 million downloads of an app all can be dismissed until this mythical usage can be shown. it is getting a little silly now so if you wish to believe that those 10 million who have got Google maps in less than 2 days aren't going to use it and it is no reflection on ios maps go ahead no one clearly can deflect you in your views in relation to apple.

Google do not charge to use google maps on the basis of downloads. They charge against usage. I'm sure you know this.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Tell you when Google Maps usage stats will come available? I already said that often the stats won't be available to the public as it's commercially sensitive data...you just seem to assume that as you can't just look t something on the net then it must not exist.

You are getting sillier by the day as no one has said (apart from maybe Chenks according to you anyway) that downlaods account for nothing at all...and no one has said that those downloads are not going to be used just that usage data is a much, much better indication of how much an app is used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell you when Google Maps usage stats will come available? I already said that often the stats won't be available to the public as it's commercially sensitive data...you just seem to assume that as you can't just look t something on the net then it must not exist.

If you want to see usage stats, write an app using google maps api, they will send you them, along with the bill.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You are getting sillier by the day as no one has said (apart from maybe Chenks according to you anyway) that downlaods account for nothing at all...and no one has said that those downloads are not going to be used just that usage data is a much, much better indication of how much an app is used.

:D It is just truly beyond belief the lengths people will do to in order to defend something.

So just to clarify as and end to this as I'm still a little confused ... downloads are less important to us as an indication of the popularity of an app than:

usage stats you say exist although you can't show they exist.
    usage stats that would almost be impossible to collect especially for apps that require no online access.
    usage stats that we will never have access to if they do exist

usage stats we will never be able to weigh up against download figures to assess actual usage

Just so I have got this right so we don't pay too much attention to the fact that 10 million google map apps were downloaded in less than 48 hours... does this just about sum up why we should not pay too much attention to download figures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    usage stats that would almost be impossible to collect especially for apps that require no online access.
    usage stats we will never be able to weigh up against download figures to assess actual usage

As explained I can't show usage stats as I don't work for Google or have any contact with them. If you want the details you will need to work for them or develop an app that requires the usage details.
    They are not impossible to collect - and I have explained how offline usage stats can be collected.
    Why should we have access to the usage stats?
    Why should we be able to compare usage against downloads?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D It is just truly beyond belief the lengths people will do to in order to defend something.

So just to clarify as and end to this as I'm still a little confused ... downloads are less important to us as an indication of the popularity of an app than:

Just so I have got this right so we don't pay too much attention to the fact that 10 million google map apps were downloaded in less than 48 hours... does this just about sum up why we should not pay too much attention to download figures.

The only thing that has been truly beyond belief in this thread is your inability to read and understand what people have been saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As explained I can't show usage stats as I don't work for Google or have any contact with them. If you want the details you will need to work for them or develop an app that requires the usage details.
    They are not impossible to collect - and I have explained how offline usage stats can be collected.

Yes thats about it although you have seemed to ignored the rest of my post ;)

We should be basically not paying too much attention to the download stats and just be using these usage stats we will never see.

Got it all clear now thanks :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing that has been truly beyond belief in this thread is your inability to read and understand what people have been saying.

You would be best to ignore them now. They clearly have nothing to offer to the debate which is why they ignore most of the posts.

They have embarrassed themselves enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Good answer .. all cleared up now though perfectly clear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    You would be best to ignore them now. They clearly have nothing to offer to the debate which is why they ignore most of the posts.

They have embarrassed themselves enough.

Yes, very true :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

those 32,365,000 maps users must all be wrong :D
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    those 32,365,000 maps users must all be wrong :D

And 50 million people in India probably live in tin shacks.