The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• Options
    excel99excel99 Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Tuesday 18th December 2012ITV1
    21:00 - Ruth Rendell's Thirteen Steps Down: 1.15m (5.0%) , +1: 76k (0.4%)
    22:00 - ITV News and Weather: 1.61m (8.6%) , +1: 130k (1.2%)
    Not often the ITV News at 10 beats the 9pm programme
    Channel 5
    15:15 - FILM: Mrs Santa Claus: 638k (6.8%)
    17:00 - 5 News at 5: 650k (4.6%)
    Both the afternoon film and 5pm News seem on the low side compared to the past couple of weeks. Lack of Neighbours/Home and Away having an impact?
    21:00 - Body of Proof: 1.33m (5.7%)
    Good to see Body of Proof improve (thanks ITV ;) ). C5 9pm should be doing better than that, but it's doing better than quite a lot of other C5 9pm shows recently. Looking forward to it's C5 return on 8th Jan :)
    Dancc wrote: »
    Scheduling News
    Channel 5 will simulcast an auditions episode of new season American Idol on the main channel.

The two-hour series premiere airs Thursday 17th January at 8pm on 5*. Episode 2 will follow Friday 18th January at 10pm on both Channel 5 and 5*, after Celebrity Big Brother: Live Eviction.
    I can see why they are doing that, hoping it helps the 5* ratings - but using a foreign reality show bought for a digital channel as the lead out from your flagship entertainment show demonstrates how C5 still haven't sorted out complementary BB/CBB programming. The slot should be being used to start building up a comedy block, or a new entertainment format

If American Idol is to be shown on C5, then it should be off-peak IMO. Weekend daytime (which I think ITV1 did one year) or late night
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    excel99 wrote: »
    Not often the ITV News at 10 beats the 9pm programme

Both the afternoon film and 5pm News seem on the low side compared to the past couple of weeks. Lack of Neighbours/Home and Away having an impact?

Good to see Body of Proof improve (thanks ITV ;) ). C5 9pm should be doing better than that, but it's doing better than quite a lot of other C5 9pm shows recently. Looking forward to it's C5 return on 8th Jan :)

I can see why they are doing that, hoping it helps the 5* ratings - but using a foreign reality show bought for a digital channel as the lead out from your flagship entertainment show demonstrates how C5 still haven't sorted out complementary BB/CBB programming. The slot should be being used to start building up a comedy block, or a new entertainment format

A comedy block would be best but I imagine it'll have to be panel shows or US comedies first before they dip their toe again into sitcoms and sketch shows,

Body of Proof has 11 episodes left so I imagine CSI will air again in early March. Wonder if PoI will return in January as it has 12 episodes left to air,
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    BB was becoming too expensive and was coming to the end of its shelf life on Channel 4. They were right to finish it, but should maybe have kept the celeb one. However, I'm sure there was still more life in Wife Swap and Super Nanny, which were still doing well and could have been kept.
    Like you say, though, sport could be the future and they developed decent followings for sports they've done in the past.

Agreed about Wife Swap and Supernanny. Here's hoping C4 get some sense and do well next year.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Only_You wrote: »
    WillHill currently has odds at 5/2 for Shrek Forever After being the top rated film on Christmas Day. This is a fantastic chance to get an easy £20 with putting £50 on!
    Coming out of DS hibernation once again to confess that I've lumped on this. 2/5 (not 5/2) is great odds for something that is 98% likely to land. The only danger is Tangled but it's on ITV and not as popular as the Shrek series, which typically do VERY well on Xmas Day. Shrek should win comfortably, I can't even see it being close.

Fingers crossed then. Only negative is it looks like they will go by BARB officials so might have to wait a while for bets to be settled. But Shrek will timeshift more than Tangled so in a way it's another positive.

P.S. The Santa Incident, a film I hadn't even heard of, is the worst 8/1 shot I've ever seen.
  • Options
    Robert_SymondsRobert_Symonds Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Saturday 12th January 2013 - Provisional Schedules
    BBC One
    17:30 - Animal Antics
    18:00 - Secret Service
    18:45 - Britain's Brightest
    19:55 - In It To Win It
    20:45 - Casualty
    21:35 - Mrs Brown's Boys (r)
    22:05 - BBC News & Weather
    22:25 - Match Of The Day

ITV1
    18:00 - You've Been Framed!
    19:00 - Splash!
    20:30 - Take Me Out
    21:30 - The Jonathan Ross Show
    22:45 - ITV News & Weather

No excuses for Take Me Out in the New Year really, it may actually end up beating Casualty head-to-head or be very close to it. As I said last week, really unsure about BBC One's early evening line-up, whilst ITV1's purely depends on Splash.

For me Britains brightest is the interesting one.Sounds tosh on paper,however its presented by someone with a hugely growing reputation and highly likeable.
  • Options
    Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    Coming out of DS hibernation once again to confess that I've lumped on this. 2/5 (not 5/2) is great odds for something that is 98% likely to land. The only danger is Tangled but it's on ITV and not as popular as the Shrek series, which typically do VERY well on Xmas Day. Shrek should win comfortably, I can't even see it being close.

Fingers crossed then. Only negative is it looks like they will go by BARB officials so might have to wait a while for bets to be settled. But Shrek will timeshift more than Tangled so in a way it's another positive.

P.S. The Santa Incident, a film I hadn't even heard of, is the worst 8/1 shot I've ever seen.

Sorry, got them the other way round! :sleep:. How much have you put on dancc? :)
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Blandings confimed by the BBC Media Centre for Sunday 13th January 6.30pm to 7 o'clock. So no Countryfile/Antiques Roadshow sandwich for it.

Well that's a bit daft. Hang it out to dry against Dancing on Ice, or sandwich it between two of your most popular shows?

Seems a no brainer, it's either a fine BSI screw up or it's a load of rubbish. An awful slot.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched Last Tango In Halifax for the first time tonight. It's okay to do that cos the 2nd series has already been commissioned.

My mum has been watching and enjoying the series. I've often been in the room when it was on so I've caught the gist of what's going on. Last night I caught a bit more of it than normal and I saw the qualities that have made it a instant and sizeable ratings hit.

The script is very good. The characters are very well drawn. The acting is brilliant.

And the overall feel of the series is upbeat and feelgood, these being the particular qualities that have made New Tricks a big ratings hit. An upbeat, feelgood drama based around older characters played by talented, popular older actors. See the way to attract big ratings for your dramas, TV bosses?;)
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, got them the other way round! :sleep:. How much have you put on dancc? :)

I've put some money on too. Quite a bit of money in fact *gulp*.

But we can't lose... Can we?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    I've put some money on too. Quite a bit of money in fact *gulp*.

Same, such a shame WillHill's limit of £50 a day :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's that. Monday's film averaged over 1 million viewers in the 4pm hour with +1 included, so one of the highest rated yet, even without the aussie soaps.

Yesterday's movie was from 1996, whereas a lot of the titles they've been showing have been only a year or two old, so that's probably got more to do with it.
    Good to see Body of Proof improve (thanks ITV ;) ). C5 9pm should be doing better than that, but it's doing better than quite a lot of other C5 9pm shows recently. Looking forward to it's C5 return on 8th Jan
    1.4m (inc. +1) is a decent number for Body of Proof. They spend less on it than other acquisitions as it airs on the UKTV network first. To be getting better numbers than Dallas, for example, with far less fanfare around it is a real achievement. It repeats really well on 5USA too, so it's a good little versatile performer.

If American Idol is to be shown on C5, then it should be off-peak IMO. Weekend daytime (which I think ITV1 did one year) or late night
    It's just a one-off. I can absolutely see why they are doing it and for me it's one of their better scheduling ideas in a long while. Import or not it should go down well with the Big Brother audience and increase interest in what will soon be 5*'s flagship primetime show.

But totally agree that generally speaking they haven't been using the CBB lead-ins to good effect. Low-cost factual aimed at 16-34s seems to be the preferred choice, but a lot of it is uninspired. They should be aiming higher really. It would be nice to see them be bolder with it, take some more risks and give viewers proper reasons to stick around. They absolutely don't want to be a one show station and they are in danger of being that when Big Brother is on if they don't do something more substantial in and around it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same, such a shame WillHill's limit of £50 a day :(

Oh really? That didn't seem to apply for me.... I've put a total of £1500 on :o (£1000 on WillHill, £500 on Sporting Bet).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh really? That didn't seem to apply for me.... I've put a total of £1500 on :o (£1000 on WillHill, £500 on Sporting Bet).

Wow! You see, I want to do that but it only lets me put £50 onto my account in 24 hours!

But wow, that is a lot of money! but, we rating nerds know its certain ....... :p.

Good luck man :)
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that's a bit daft. Hang it out to dry against Dancing on Ice, or sandwich it between two of your most popular shows?

Seems a no brainer, it's either a fine BSI screw up or it's a load of rubbish. An awful slot.

I may have said this before but I've always considered this a strange commission for BBC1. It seemed more suited for BBC2 or even BBC4.

I thought they might put it out on Fridays at 8.30 opposite Corrie. It's PG Wodehouse. I've never seen it as a big ratings player (despite the brilliant Fry and Laurie version of Jeeves And Wooster that ITV screened in the 90s. Not sure how well or otherwise that did in the ratings). But it would have been nice if BBC1 had tried it out between Countryfile and AR. They could have always swapped Blandings and CF round a few weeks down the line if it wasn't working out.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see why Channel 5 bought American Idol, it was declining on ITV2, but still had a big enough following to merit being continued on Freeview and will also raise the profile of 5's digital channels. This is a clever move showing it on the main channel after CBB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! You see, I want to do that but it only lets me put £50 onto my account in 24 hours!

But wow, that is a lot of money! but, we rating nerds know its certain ....... :p.

Good luck man :)

Exactly! I keep thinking is there any way it won't win, but unless BBC One goes off air it's pretty much the safest bet ever. Knew ratings geekery would come in handy one day! :)
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched a bit of Tango last night.

It's a bit Summer Wine isn't it, but with fewer laughs. Crossed with Emmerdale (Yorkshire melodrama with added lesbians). The acting is very good, Reid and Jacobi were the only real stand out of episode 1 for me but Sarah Lancashire was quite magnificent last night. Missed it tonight, but may check it out on iPlayer.

If only for the lesbo action... ;)
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blandings confimed by the BBC Media Centre for Sunday 13th January 6.30pm to 7 o'clock. So no Countryfile/Antiques Roadshow sandwich for it.

Means one of two things...

a) they think it is going to be like Last of the Summer Wine
    b) it is shit

;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :eek:

That's a big bet. Braver man than me! But as I said, it should land.

My only concern is that the Shrek films have got progressively worse. But then so did the Pirates of the Caribbean films and they always rated well. Shrek: Forever After did far better at the box office than Tangled, and Shrek is also at the heart of the BBC's Christmas campaign with special idents so that kind of prominence will also help.

So yep, I can't see any other outcome. But I seriously hope we're right as that's a lot of money you've lumped on.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I watched a bit of Tango last night.

It's a bit Summer Wine isn't it, but with fewer laughs. Crossed with Emmerdale (Yorkshire melodrama with added lesbians). The acting is very good, Reid and Jacobi were the only real stand out of episode 1 for me but Sarah Lancashire was quite magnificent last night. Missed it tonight, but may check it out on iPlayer.

If only for the lesbo action... ;)

I have to say... i was a bit dubious about Last Tango when I saw the first episode, but the rest of the series has been excellent. Sarah Lancashire was just wonderful tonight, and I appreciate how the potentially cloying elements of the series have been tempered by more adult material.
  • Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scheduling News
    Channel 5 will simulcast an auditions episode of new season American Idol on the main channel.

The two-hour series premiere airs Thursday 17th January at 8pm on 5*. Episode 2 will follow Friday 18th January at 10pm on both Channel 5 and 5*, after Celebrity Big Brother: Live Eviction.

Interesting that they're showing episode 2 on Channel 5 and not the series premiere. Wonder if thats the one with the highly publicised Nicki & Mariah spat? If it is, even though its an old show, it could be a masterstroke by Channel 5.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me Britains brightest is the interesting one.Sounds tosh on paper,however its presented by someone with a hugely growing reputation and highly likeable.
    If it's rubbish though, or Balding turns out to be no good as a quiz host, they'll be no sympathy - and Clare Balding alone isn't enough to encourage high ratings. If it was the Paralympics would have done much better.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a terrible timeslot. Dead from day 1.
    Means one of two things...

a) they think it is going to be like Last of the Summer Wine
    b) it is shit

;)

I think the answer could be closer to B.
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Not sure if I like that slot, it would do a lot better sandwiched between Countryfile and Call the Midwife.
    I agree. It's a show that needs a lead in.

I agree. Is George Dixon back? :D
    I may have said this before but I've always considered this a strange commission for BBC1. It seemed more suited for BBC2 or even BBC4.

I thought they might put it out on Fridays at 8.30 opposite Corrie. It's PG Wodehouse. I've never seen it as a big ratings player (despite the brilliant Fry and Laurie version of Jeeves And Wooster that ITV screened in the 90s. Not sure how well or otherwise that did in the ratings). But it would have been nice if BBC1 had tried it out between Countryfile and AR. They could have always swapped Blandings and CF round a few weeks down the line if it wasn't working out.
    It's never rated well. Even the Fry & Laurie thing was solid rather than a blockbuster. Why do I get the feeling they've seen it and don't think much of it? Wasn't it originally going to be a big Christmas show?
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    The ratings for EastEnders continue to rate lower than last year, I expected an upturn this week, however a core part of the audience seems to have switched off and are not returning in the run up to Christmas as Coronation Street pulls further ahead. It is similar to a pattern Brookside took when the audience drifted.
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I hope EastEnders makes better ratings tomorrow night for the reveal of Kat's Secret Lover. I think it might edge 8million which will still be poor but hopefully by Christmas Eve it will start seeing better ratings.

I think all it needs is a story to get people talking after Christmas in the new year and it could start getting viewers back.
This discussion has been closed.