This is Most Definitely Not An Appreciation Thread **Part 18**

Comments

• Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kittles wrote: »
    yep I agree

tbh the only reason I post even occasionally now is because Ive just been here so long. There is no way I would have joined the Forum this year.

I think part of the problem is it seems there is a smaller pool of posters now so there is a lot of people saying the same thing over and over. I believe its a result of all the app threads being sent to the attic.

I also think the "ZOMG!!! PHEW WHAT A SCORCHER???!!! we say NO!!!" type threads often found on the front page put people off from dropping in to post. Frankly, if I didn't know the Forum from old it would put me off as I'd assume it was inhabited by people who read Heat and thought it was a serious magazine.

yes I am a snob about these things :p
    Yup. A pain in the derrière, that and the series feels very processional with no real surprises once Victoria left (always just wondering how long her torture would last).
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    It still amuses me that the greatest beneficiary of the dance-off this series was probably Richard Arnold. GOD OF DAHNCE Richard Arnold.

Y'know - that's why I think that the P-that-B wouldn't mind a Kimberly win at all.

What greater advert for keeping the dance off could there be? The minute anyone wanted to shelve it again, there could be self-righteous pursing of lips and - how can you say that's. If it wasn't for the dance off Kimberely could have been out in week 6 :eek: and think of all the great stuff we would have lost ;)
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Monaogg wrote: »
    Yup. A pain in the derrière, that and the series feels very processional with no real surprises once Victoria left (always just wondering how long her torture would last).

The only surprises really was Lisa week 1, and the gloss of that disappeared pretty quickly for me (and a few others), Michael getting good at ballroom and....err....ummmm... that's probably about it really.

I'll watch, I'll probably enjoy but I simply won't care very much.
  • Options
    perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    kittles wrote: »
    yep I agree

tbh the only reason I post even occasionally now is because Ive just been here so long. There is no way I would have joined the Forum this year.

I think part of the problem is it seems there is a smaller pool of posters now so there is a lot of people saying the same thing over and over. I believe its a result of all the app threads being sent to the attic.

I also think the "ZOMG!!! PHEW WHAT A SCORCHER???!!! we say NO!!!" type threads often found on the front page put people off from dropping in to post. Frankly, if I didn't know the Forum from old it would put me off as I'd assume it was inhabited by people who read Heat and thought it was a serious magazine.

yes I am a snob about these things :p

There has also been a lot of posters this year who so fiercely defend their favourites. That's fine, but in such a less than stellar series, it's all a bit perplexing. Posting in threads and getting "but 20 pros say I'm right (this week)" so I'm going to shout all over you and throw my rattle out of the pram" or "I have danced before, show me reverence you pleb" is going to put any sane person off.

And as you say, its a smaller number of people, but posting over and over and over again. When I read some other threads, I get confused which thread it is, as its the same stuff being said by the same people. And what they are saying is so often exaggerated that you wonder if you're watching the same show.
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has also been a lot of posters this year who so fiercely defend their favourites. That's fine, but in such a less than stellar series, it's all a bit perplexing. Posting in threads and getting "but 20 pros say I'm right (this week)" so I'm going to shout all over you and throw my rattle out of the pram" or "I have danced before, show me reverence you pleb" is going to put any sane person off.

And as you say, its a smaller number of people, but posting over and over and over again. When I read some other threads, I get confused which thread it is, as its the same stuff being said by the same people. And what they are saying is so often exaggerated that you wonder if you're watching the same show.

You could never accuse us lot of exaggeration. ;):D
  • Options
    coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moment of the series for me was Michaels jive and you know I will never forgive Natalie for making him better at Latin.

How brilliant would it have been to have him here becoming great at Ballroom and wonderfully bonkersly bad at latin

I would have voted for that win and for the partnership of Michael and Natalie but, oh no, Natalie had to be a true profession and get him to dance better in Latin:(

Without the dance off Michael may still have been here
  • Options
    sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough I dont care that Denise is a pro , her dancing just isnt enjoyable for me at all .,I think I figured out why after all the weeks . She dances like its a job for her, "get this done and it might lead to other things" sort of thing ,No joi de vivre at all in it

This is exactly how I feel,well said :)
    I don't give two hoots about stage school etc,It is the attitude and so forth that I respond to
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    sunstone wrote: »
    This is exactly how I feel,well said :)
    I don't give two hoots about stage school etc,It is the attitude and so forth that I respond to

James and Denise will bleat on about how she was wronged and didnt get the vote because of her experience , bla bla bla . When in fact they are reading it wrong, I dont think people really care about the ringer issue .I just dont think Denise has the likability needed on such show . Partnered with her male mirror image isnt helping either . Two of a kind, people can warm to them and the dances are soulless .
    The more they jabber on about it the worse it gets as they seem to be unaware of how they come across .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James and Denise will bleat on about how she was wronged and didnt get the vote because of her experience , bla bla bla . When in fact they are reading it wrong, I dont think people really care about the ringer issue .I just dont think Denise has the likability needed on such show . Partnered with her male mirror image isnt helping either . Two of a kind, people can warm to them and the dances are soulless .
    The more they jabber on about it the worse it gets as they seem to be unaware of how they come across .

I actually don't mind her as a person, sometimes I really like her, she has a great sense of humour, but MY GOD the whining. :eek::rolleyes: It does my head all the way in. Everything s so hard, she can't do it, we've had spinning, walking backwards, lifts, two dances, even James getting in on the act with the Egyptian head movements in the charleston. :rolleyes:

I know why they did it, to try and show she wasn't a professional, but it was ridiculous. She'd whine for a week and then come out and perform better than James. If they'd have kept the whining for the dances she genuinely struggled in - the cha cha and the salsa, people would be more sympathetic.

All I can think of when I think of Denisev& James is the constant moaning on VTs, on results show, in newspapers and now their friends are at it.

Contrast that with some of the others who have genuinely struggled with injuries, judges' comments, the dances not going so well and she's got the gall to moan. She needed to have just sucked it up and talked about how fun Strictly is, but it's too late now and she only has herself to blame, well along with James.

They should now go off and do a book about how not to behave as a reality show contestant.
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Button62 wrote: »
    Morning DOTs !!

Daughter's wedding today :eek:

Will be back tomorrow for some more unappreciating .... still haven't had time to watch the results show, but I know that at last my prayers have been answered.

Toodle pip x

Thank you all so much for your good wishes on Tuesday.
    The sun was shining on the shores of Belfast Lough and everything went beautifully. The only hitch was the wedding car broke down, and they had to send a replacement. She wasn't fashionably late .... she was 40 minutes late !!

The service was just wonderful and all went smoothly.

As always in Ireland, the party afterwards was legendary, eventually we were kicked out of the bar at 2am ;):D

Back on topic .... I really don't mind who wins on Saturday ( apart from Deknees ), they all have merit and they have all improved over the weeks. I would love to see Vincent or Flavia with the glitterball though. A mop and bucket would be needed for Vincent's tears of joy. Speaking of tears, I have finally watched last week's results show. All that was missing was a full on snort .... most unbecoming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sun was shining on the shores of Belfast Lough and everything went beautifully. The only hitch was the wedding car broke down, and they had to send a replacement. She wasn't fashionably late .... she was 40 minutes late !!

As always in Ireland, the party afterwards was legendary, eventually we were kicked out of the bar at 2am ;):D

Back on topic .... I really don't mind who wins on Saturday ( apart from Deknees ), they all have merit and they have all improved over the weeks. I would love to see Vincent or Flavia with the glitterball though. A mop and bucket would be needed for Vincent's tears of joy. Speaking of tears, I have finally watched last week's results show. All that was missing was a full on snort .... most unbecoming.

Awww sweetie, sounds utterly fabulous, I'm so glad! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »
    I actually don't mind her as a person, sometimes I really like her, she has a great sense of humour, but MY GOD the whining. :eek::rolleyes: It does my head all the way in. Everything s so hard, she can't do it, we've had spinning, walking backwards, lifts, two dances, even James getting in on the act with the Egyptian head movements in the charleston. :rolleyes:

I know why they did it, to try and show she wasn't a professional, but it was ridiculous. She'd whine for a week and then come out and perform better than James. If they'd have kept the whining for the dances she genuinely struggled in - the cha cha and the salsa, people would be more sympathetic.

All I can think of when I think of Denisev& James is the constant moaning on VTs, on results show, in newspapers and now their friends are at it.

Contrast that with some of the others who have genuinely struggled with injuries, judges' comments, the dances not going so well and she's got the gall to moan. She needed to have just sucked it up and talked about how fun Strictly is, but it's too late now and she only has herself to blame, well along with James.

They should now go off and do a book about how not to behave as a reality show contestant.

I think that's the thing that baffles me the most ... just how they pitched it so wrong.

James has what? 7? series of Strictly under his belt and has been through the whole gamut (apart from winning ;):D) of Strictly storylines. Denise has 3 years of judging on a talent based popularity phone voting competition and the added advantage of having watched her husband negotiate the choppy waters of ringerdom to actually win.

How they thought the way they decided to play was the right one, is just ... baffling :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That sounds like a fabulous day ... and party night! :D:D
    Glad it went relatively hitch free!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mindyann wrote: »
    I think that's the thing that baffles me the most ... just how they pitched it so wrong.

James has what? 7? series of Strictly under his belt and has been through the whole gamut (apart from winning ;):D) of Strictly storylines. Denise has 3 years of judging on a talent based popularity phone voting competition and the added advantage of having watched her husband negotiate the choppy waters of ringerdom to actually win.

How they thought the way they decided to play was the right one, is just ... baffling :confused:

I think the main trouble is, both Denise and James have very similar personalities, so together they will jar at lot of people with the brash Essex routine (just to add I don't mind them myself).

If they'd been paired with others to 'soften' them, then it might have been a different story. If Denise had been, for instance, with St Ian it would have toned down her personality, rather then James who amplifies it (and vice versa) - James with the softer Alex didn't generate as much anti feeling as he does with Denise.

Forgot to add, sounds a wonderful day Button62 :)
  • Options
    perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member

James is her biggest flaw. Can't choreograph anything showstopping, can't keep up with her in her best dances, magnifies the more annoying aspects of her personality, as well as being probably the most divisive pro out there.

Pair her with Ian, who would have exploited her campy side, softened her up and pushed her harder with choreography.

Pair her with Artem, and the choreography would move up a gear (or three), some gloriously high-drama dances and a totally different feel to them as a couple.

Hell, even pair her with Anton. Could be fun, and some great ballroom. OK, the Latin wouldn't be any great shakes, but it isn't anyway!!

Oh, glad to hear it went so well! Congratulations!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James is her biggest flaw. Can't choreograph anything showstopping, can't keep up with her in her best dances, magnifies the more annoying aspects of her personality, as well as being probably the most divisive pro out there.

Pair her with Ian, who would have exploited her campy side, softened her up and pushed her harder with choreography.

Pair her with Artem, and the choreography would move up a gear (or three), some gloriously high-drama dances and a totally different feel to them as a couple.

Hell, even pair her with Anton. Could be fun, and some great ballroom. OK, the Latin wouldn't be any great shakes, but it isn't anyway!!

Showdance music is apparently 'What a feeling'.

Surely Robert Webb is the definitive for that piece of music :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Shouldn't be touched after Robert Webb's performance, big mistake in my books - although a showdance themed around welding together a nice new wheelchair for Brucie might just persuade me to pick up the phone and vote for them :D
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shouldn't be touched after Robert Webb's performance, big mistake in my books - although a showdance themed around welding together a nice new wheelchair for Brucie might just persuade me to pick up the phone and vote for them :D
    Also shades of Dr Hamela - another lack of originality from James :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The best dance on tv EVAH - fact. :D

The trouble with that song is it makes me laugh so hard, it's just so overwrought, plus I didn't realise that for years she was singing "Take your passion and make it happen", forever I thought it was "Take your pants down and make it happen" so I can't take it seriously. :D:D:D

It's going to be so overwrought and filled with earnest fun and "look at me and James having the time of my life", meanwhile you'll have me And half the the non app thread with tears pouring down our faces, barely able to breathe screaming

"Take your pants downnnnnnnnn, and make it happppennnnnn"

Not the mood I think they were going for. :D:D:D:p
  • Options
    Forum Member

Glad to hear it went well . Comhghairdeachas to your daughter .
    Yes, I would love Vincent to win , I love his contribution to Strictly , he is amusing and his dancing is fab . I would even forgive his Latin tears and OTT joy !!!

PS , speaking of Irish weddings , had anyone seen sofakat or has she been sent to the wilds of Bognor ?
  • Options
    durnovariandurnovarian Posts: 1,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear the weding went well. Sounds like you had a blast. Congratulationsto your daughter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it went well . Comhghairdeachas to your daughter .
    Yes, I would love Vincent to win , I love his contribution to Strictly , he is amusing and his dancing is fab . I would even forgive his Latin tears and OTT joy !!!

PS , speaking of Irish weddings , had anyone seen sofakat or has she been sent to the wilds of Bognor ?

She's fine, bored stupid by the tedium of the main board but fine. ;)
  • Options
    kassieqkassieq Posts: 3,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Button62, glad to hear you had a fantastic time, congrats to all involved.

Denise & James and what a feeling, mmm, think I might just be looking forward to this, 'rubs hand together', could be a total car crash, James is so up himself.:D Take your pants down hahaha very good Ali. I shall be thinking of that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She's fine, bored stupid by the tedium of the main board but fine. ;)

Okay Thanks ,Give her my love , I miss her on here :)

As for taking your pants down , made me laugh out loud and remember my nephews proudly singing for us all one Christmas day
    All Gods creatures have a place in the choir
    Some sing low , some sing higher
    Some sing out loud on the telegraph wire and
    Some just clap their hands or balls or anything they have now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kassieq wrote: »
    Button62, glad to hear you had a fantastic time, congrats to all involved.

Denise & James and what a feeling, mmm, think I might just be looking forward to this, 'rubs hand together', could be a total car crash, James is so up himself.:D Take your pants down hahaha very good Ali. I shall be thinking of that!

I so hope we get a reprise of the Music, Mime and Movement choeography rolling around on the floor, slumped with head in hands from Saturday. :D
This discussion has been closed.