Options

So who came second and third?

Comments

• Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the newpapers (I think it was the Sun) had an item about Kimberley in the Christmas Eve paper. She was referred to as the runner-up (just checked and the actual wording was "The Girls Aloud singer, who came runner-up to Louis Smith...").
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    One of the newpapers (I think it was the Sun) had an item about Kimberley in the Christmas Eve paper. She was referred to as the runner-up (just checked and the actual wording was "The Girls Aloud singer, who came runner-up to Louis Smith...").

Technically she and Denise were both runners-up seeing as 2nd/3rd was never announced, so that doesn't tell us anything I'm afraid.
  • Options
    katie_pkatie_p Posts: 10,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yenston wrote: »
    I think someone already has and they refused. They really should reveal them. I thought it was agreed that there should be more transparency at the BBC. Their refusal only makes it look like they have something to hide.
    I don't think it has ever been taken to the Information Rights Tribunal, so if someone has a lot of time to waste they could always do a fresh FOI request and appeal the BBC and then the ICO decisions.
    (www.justice.gov.uk/tribunals/information-rights)

I suspect the BBC have the right interpretation, although it's a sucky part of FOI in my opinion. My employer is subject to FOI and we've had to reveal a lot more important information than the voting figures on a light entertainment show.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katie_p wrote: »
    I don't think it has ever been taken to the Information Rights Tribunal, so if someone has a lot of time to waste they could always do a fresh FOI request and appeal the BBC and then the ICO decisions.
    (www.justice.gov.uk/tribunals/information-rights)

I suspect the BBC have the right interpretation, although it's a sucky part of FOI in my opinion. My employer is subject to FOI and we've had to reveal a lot more important information than the voting figures on a light entertainment show.

I am afraid that it has gone to the FOI tribunal and the BBC has won. Search this forum for "freedom of information".

Essentially news, art and entertainment are exempt.
  • Options
    katie_pkatie_p Posts: 10,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am afraid that it has gone to the FOI tribunal and the BBC has won. Search this forum for "freedom of information".

Essentially news, art and entertainment are exempt.
    I don't think that's right. It has certainly gone to the ICO, but it doesn't appear to have gone to the Information Rights Tribunal (which is the next step after an ICO appeal), or at least there isn't a searchable decision on the tribunal website.
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    According to Wikipedia both Denise and Kimberley came in second place and that was the twist that the producers put in.
  • Options
    ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,437
    Forum Member
    Tall Paul wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia both Denise and Kimberley came in second place and that was the twist that the producers put in.

Well in that case Dani was 3rd, not 4th, as it was a joint 2nd, but surely that could only be if they received the same amount of votes exactly?

I don't know how many votes they got each (who does :D), but purely based on popularity and previous "bottom 2" placings, Kimberley would have received more? she has consistantly received more votes in the previous weeks both from the Judges and, it would seem, from the Public too, so thousands of people just switched allegiance to Denise because of the showdance? does n't make sense.
  • Options
    StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kimberley was in the bottom two once. However, there's no way that she and Denise had exactly the same percentage in the final. It's all a bit weird. Dani had never been in the bottom two but came third or fourth. That's also, weird.
    As people have paid to vote there should be a publication of the full results. ITV does it for 'I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here' about a week after the final.
  • Options
    MuinimulaMuinimula Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not bothered about percentages. The BBC have never released them before, and they're not going to now.

However, in every other series, we've known who came 2nd and 3rd and I don't think the BBC have a valid reason to explain why this year should be any different. They're just shrugging and saying, "We're not telling you."
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well in that case Dani was 3rd, not 4th, as it was a joint 2nd.

Not necessarily, she'd be 4th under the placings system used in golf tournaments where if, for example, 3 people tie for 2nd, the next person is 5th as they count the number of people who finished ahead of you, not exactly where they finished.
  • Options
    davversdavvers Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    The BBC position is all a bit unfathomable when you bear in mind that during the olympics they were very particular in giving us all the gold, silver and bronze medal winners. If Lewis had not won the Strictly final he presumably would never have known if he came second or third. Crazy.
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would releasing the figures at the end of the series effect how people vote?

I mean it'd effect the contestants....as in it might show that Louis just won by 2% for example and make his win less meaningful, or of course downgrade Denise and confirm she was 3rd placed and not runner up at all. They're not budging i dont think....

40% Louis, 30% Kimberley, 20% Denise, 10% Dani
    Thats how i think the voting was give or take a few percentage either way.

These are just excuses basically they dont want to reveal the voting figures and there's not much we can do about it. I very much doubt Denise got more votes than Kimberley, its almost impossible given the voting patterns. Whats great is that we are able to figure out lots of little things when we have the judges vote and can work out how the public vote might have looked like. Clearly Louis has been leading votes for a long time. Kimberely might have won 2 weeks quite possibly though. I think it was close between Kimberley/Louis and he didn't have a landslide victory.
  • Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    BBC has cottoned onto Harry Potter's numbering system as in Euston Station platform 9½.
    Evidently Kimberley and Denise both came 2½ nd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    I always thought it was obvious why the voting % are not released...in order not to embarrass the celebs...which in turn increases the chances of attracting a "higher"calibre" of celeb onto the show....I suppose the other obvious reason would be to prevent an online back-lash if a celeb who polled the least votes is saved by the judges.

But if I`am honest I`v never been too fussed about the BBC not publishing the voting %...although invariably they do make for an interesting read when revealed for other shows
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technically she and Denise were both runners-up seeing as 2nd/3rd was never announced, so that doesn't tell us anything I'm afraid.

It does seem a bit strange that the order wasn't announced.
  • Options
    grittygritty Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posted this elsewhere but thought it was interesting. Apparently Daily Star has been correct about these things in the past!

The Star has posted that Denise came second and beat Kimberley by 4%. You can find the information at the bottom of a completely off-topic article on Louis Smith so I thought it might get missed.
    Louis romped to victory on the BBC1 show alongside pro dance partner Flavia Cacace.

Meanwhile, we can reveal Denise Van Outen took second place in her own right.

On last weekend’s show she was named “joint runner-up” with Kimberley Walsh but Denise was actually 4% ahead of the Girls Aloud star in the vote.

1st Louis Smith
    2nd Denise van Outen
    3rd Kimberley Walsh
    4th Dani Harmer

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/290341/Strictly-Come-Dancing-s-Louis-Smith-is-so-kissed-off/
  • Options
    Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gritty wrote: »
    Posted this elsewhere but thought it was interesting. Apparently Daily Star has been correct about these things in the past!

The Star has posted that Denise came second and beat Kimberley by 4%. You can find the information at the bottom of a completely off-topic article on Louis Smith so I thought it might get missed.

1st Louis Smith
    2nd Denise van Outen
    3rd Kimberley Walsh
    4th Dani Harmer

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/290341/Strictly-Come-Dancing-s-Louis-Smith-is-so-kissed-off/

If Denise had come second, I think they would have announced it, they seemed to have a bias towards her in the final week and it would be good for tour promotion etc. Anyway, there is no source in the article for that information.
  • Options
    Dilly 1Dilly 1 Posts: 39,906
    Forum Member
    gritty wrote: »

1st Louis Smith
    2nd Denise van Outen
    3rd Kimberley Walsh
    4th Dani Harmer

I hope they release final voting figures as I'd love to see how much Louis won by. I bet it was by a huge margin. :D. Interesting that Denise was second and not Kimberley as expected before, but I think the final has a lot of first time voters so maybe that is what pushed Denise ahead on the night, plus I think this year the show dances DID matter, and Denise's was much better than Kimberley's which could have got people voting for her.
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    DS polls often make the right call and Louis as winner was never in doubt.

But I can see that newbie-viewers could have voted for Denise on the night. OR neutrals like me thought Denise danced better on the night and voted accordingly.

I'd be happy with a top 3 of Louis, Denise and Kimble a distant 3rd.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Denise and James were the best dancers on the night but Louis and Flavia's showdance was also something special and Kimberely and Pasha continued with their magic - I still can't call it but the GBP could and probably did so several weeks before the final!
  • Options
    hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im glad Denise came 2nd and Kimberely came 3rd
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,749
    Forum Member
    DS polls often make the right call and Louis as winner was never in doubt.

But I can see that newbie-viewers could have voted for Denise on the night. OR neutrals like me thought Denise danced better on the night and voted accordingly.

I'd be happy with a top 3 of Louis, Denise and Kimble a distant 3rd.

Me too - would have preferred Dani coming 3rd though ;)
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    I loved Dani and Vincent as a dancing partnership but, on the night, they went out at the right time.

Their tango wasn't great and the showdance was tragic. I didn't hold out any hope of them getting into the last 3 after the showdance.
  • Options
    daisyflower2012daisyflower2012 Posts: 6,020
    Forum Member
    Dilly 1 wrote: »
    I hope they release final voting figures as I'd love to see how much Louis won by. I bet it was by a huge margin. :D. Interesting that Denise was second and not Kimberley as expected before, but I think the final has a lot of first time voters so maybe that is what pushed Denise ahead on the night, plus I think this year the show dances DID matter, and Denise's was much better than Kimberley's which could have got people voting for her.

The betfair forum is saying over 50% but they haven't given a source. I think he already had a substantial lead going into the final but the showdance might have given him a landslide victory.
  • Options
    Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there any proof that the Daily Star article is correct? I have seen other articles stating Kimberley came second.

GA fans would be out in full force and Kimberley and her voting number was trending on Twitter above anyone else, and there has obviously been a general dislike for Denise throughout the whole series. So it wouldn't surprise me if that article was wrong. But it doesn't look like the BBC are ever going to confirm it.