Options

The Carry On Films And Carry On Television Series Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Do any "out takes" (bloopers:rolleyes:) of some scenes from the carry on films exist?

Also any "behind the scenes" shots

No. Nothing remains. Peter Rogers, the CO Producer, was clear that anything that went wrong shouldn't be seen by the public. I believe there's one remaining clip of one of the TV COs, which features Peter Butterworth with an ostrich feather sticking out of the back of his trousers, but I have never seen it.

I hope you enjoy it and I am sure you will, guernseysnail :). Carry On Cruising was the first colour Carry On film.

I love Cruising. Esma Cannon is one of the unsung heroes of the COs. Her drunk scene ("two Flodears") is lovely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    No. Nothing remains. Peter Rogers, the CO Producer, was clear that anything that went wrong shouldn't be seen by the public.

I think Peter made the right decision. Nothing should distract from the total professionalism of the Carry On films.
    chuffnobbler wrote: I love Cruising. Esma Cannon is one of the unsung heroes of the COs. Her drunk scene ("two Flodears") is lovely.

:D
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm always confusing Cruising with Abroad. The former is far better and I enjoyed it today :)

And yes, the "flodear" lady is really funny :D I'm going to go see what else she did, now I know her name!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Legends of British Comedy - Kenneth Williams is just starting on the Yesterday Channel.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    I'm always confusing Cruising with Abroad. The former is far better and I enjoyed it today :)

And yes, the "flodear" lady is really funny :D I'm going to go see what else she did, now I know her name!

I think Abroad is the last of the GREAT Carry Ons. After that, they kind of petered away ...

Esma Cannon was a really interesting woman. The film about Hattie Jacques (BBC4 starring Ruth Jones) gives Esma a fairly major role: Esma was a plainspeaking Aussie who ended up typecast playing dotty old dears.

Esma stopped acting several years before her death, and there's some mystery over her later years. One school of thought is that she retired to France. Anyhow, she died in 1972 but there's no death certificate on file in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry Ons on television in the coming days

Saturday 8th December, 2012

3.20 pm to 5.15 pm: Carry On Doctor (the fifteenth Carry On film), Film 4

10 pm to 11 pm: Legends Of British Comedy - Sid James, Yesterday Channel

Sunday 9th December, 2012

12.30 pm to 2.15 pm: Carry On Up The Jungle (the nineteenth Carry On film), ITV 1/ITV 1 HD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Legends Of British Comedy - Sid James has just started on the Yesterday Channel.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Abroad is the last of the GREAT Carry Ons. After that, they kind of petered away ...

Esma Cannon was a really interesting woman. The film about Hattie Jacques (BBC4 starring Ruth Jones) gives Esma a fairly major role: Esma was a plainspeaking Aussie who ended up typecast playing dotty old dears.

Esma stopped acting several years before her death, and there's some mystery over her later years. One school of thought is that she retired to France. Anyhow, she died in 1972 but there's no death certificate on file in the UK.

Interesting - I liked Esma: much under-rated. At least the BBC 4 Hattie biopic gave her some kind of posthumous glory.

I recently watched 'Carry On Girls' again on DVD - really made me laugh, despite the lack of two of my favourites: Charlie Hawtrey and Kenneth Williams.
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Esma Cannon was a delightful character actress. I often wonder why she chose to retire so suddenly in 1963 when the Carry Ons and The Rag Trade had put her in the spotlight.

She was such a private person that, even though she died in 1972, her former colleagues didn't find out till a "Where are they now?" column appeared in a showbiz magazine several years later.

Kenneth Williams didn't appear in Carry On Girls because he was starring in the West End play My Fat Friend.
  • Options
    AlexSRAlexSR Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Imogen Hassall in Carry On Loving - unforgettable. Gorgeous woman, really sad that she didn't find happiness in life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry on Doctor - the fifteenth Carry On film - is on Film 4 today (Sunday 16.12.2012) from 11 am to 12.55 pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Don't Lose Your Head - the thirteenth Carry On film - is on ITV 1/ITV 1 HD today (Sunday 16.12.2012) from 12.35 pm to 2.20 pm.

If you are watching Carry On Doctor on Film 4 (from 11 am to 12.55 pm today) you can see Carry On Don't Lose Your Head from the beginning from 1.35 pm on ITV 1 +1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On films on television over Christmas 2012

Christmas Day

11.45 am Carry On Jack, ITV 3
    1.35 pm That's Carry On, ITV 3
    3.25 pm Carry On Don't Lose Your Head ITV 3
    5.20 pm Carry On Matron ITV 3
    7.05 pm Carry On Cleo ITV 3
    9 pm Carry On Cruising ITV 3
    10.50 pm Carry On Don't Lose Your Head ITV 3

Boxing Day

11 am That's Carry On, ITV 3
    2.35 pm Carry On Henry, ITV 3
    4.25 pm Carry On Cleo, ITV 3
    6.15 pm Carry On Camping, ITV 3
    8 pm Carry On Up The Jungle, ITV 3
    9.55 pm Carry On Follow That Camel, ITV 3

Thursday 27th December, 2012

7 am Carry On Jack, ITV 3

Saturday 29th December, 2012

11.15 am to 1.10 pm Carry On Follow That Camel, ITV 3
    2.10 pm to 4 pm Carry On Screaming, ITV 1/ITV 1 HD
    5.10 pm to 7 pm Carry On Camping, ITV 3

Sunday 30th December, 2012

8.10 am Carry On Cleo, ITV 3
    10 am Carry On Up The Jungle, ITV 3
    1.15 pm to 3 pm Carry On Girls, ITV 1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    Carry On films on television over Christmas 2012

Christmas Day

11.45 am Carry On Jack, ITV 3
    1.35 pm That's Carry On, ITV 3
    3.25 pm Carry On Don't Lose Your Head ITV 3
    5.20 pm Carry On Matron ITV 3
    7.05 pm Carry On Cleo ITV 3
    9 pm Carry On Cruising ITV 3
    10.50 pm Carry On Don't Lose Your Head ITV 3

Boxing Day

11 am That's Carry On, ITV 3
    2.35 pm Carry On Henry, ITV 3
    4.25 pm Carry On Cleo, ITV 3
    6.15 pm Carry On Camping, ITV 3
    8 pm Carry On Up The Jungle, ITV 3
    9.55 pm Carry On Follow That Camel, ITV 3

Thursday 27th December, 2012

7 am Carry On Jack, ITV 3

Saturday 29th December, 2012

11.15 am to 1.10 pm Carry On Follow That Camel, ITV 3
    2.10 pm to 4 pm Carry On Screaming, ITV 1/ITV 1 HD
    5.10 pm to 7 pm Carry On Camping, ITV 3

Sunday 30th December, 2012

8.10 am Carry On Cleo, ITV 3
    10 am Carry On Up The Jungle, ITV 3
    1.15 pm to 3 pm Carry On Girls, ITV 1

Also Carry On Behind at 11.10am on Thursday 27th December 2012, on More4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On England is just starting on BBC 2 (BBC 2, 1.20 am to 2.45 am on 30.12.2012).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry Ons on television on Sunday 30.12.2012

As mentioned in posting number 2039 to this thread, the following Carry On films are on television on Sunday 30.12.2012:

Carry On Cleo, ITV 3 from 8.30 am to 10 am
    Carry On Up The Jungle, ITV 3 from 10 am to 11.50 am
    Carry On Girls, ITV 1 from 1.15 pm to 3 pm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry Ons on television on New Year's Eve 2012

Carry On Dick, More 4 from 2 pm to 3.45 pm
    Carry On Behind More 4 from 3.45 pm to 5.35 pm
    Carry On Matron, ITV 3 from 4.05 pm to 5.55 pm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Have to say i didnt like kyber or jack or up the jungle much!

My favourite is Spying! By far an away!

Followed by Convenience, abroad, girls, behind, loving, again doctor and matron
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MollieAdler90 wrote: Have to say I didn't like Khyber or Jack or Up The Jungle much!

Carry On Up The Jungle is on ITV 3 now as I write this - Frankie Howerd talking to Joan Sims. Both great Carry On stars.
    MollieAdler90 wrote: My favourite is Spying! By far an away! Followed by Convenience, Abroad, Girls, Behind, Loving, Again Doctor and Matron.

Carry On Spying is my favourite of the black-and-white Carry On films. I am glad you mention Carry On At Your Convenience. I also think that it is one of the best Carry On films - and a favourite of many Carry On fans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say i didnt like kyber or jack or up the jungle much!

My favourite is Spying! By far an away!

Followed by Convenience, abroad, girls, behind, loving, again doctor and matron

Yes Spying is a favourite but I love Khyber..Joanie was just brilliant..if a little plastered. I also love Follow that Camel as well as some of the more "traditional" ones...
  • Options
    oranges71oranges71 Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Carry On Camping on ITV3 last night, but they cut out all the dirty bits! I can understand them cutting out the nudist camp bit at the beginning but they also cut out bits of Barbara Windsor fighting with Anna Karen (the brilliant Olive from On The Buses)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The first Carry On film on UK television in 2013

Carry On Abroad will be the first Carry On film to be shown on television in the UK in 2013. It's on More 4 from 11.40 am to 1.25 pm on Wednesday 2nd January.

For anyone who has not seen it before: Carry On Abroad has most of the Carry On stars in it.

Details of Carry On films on television on New Year's Eve 2012 are in posting number 2043 to this thread.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oranges71 wrote: »
    I watched Carry On Camping on ITV3 last night, but they cut out all the dirty bits! I can understand them cutting out the nudist camp bit at the beginning but they also cut out bits of Barbara Windsor fighting with Anna Karen (the brilliant Olive from On The Buses)
    OMG are you sure it's her? I wouldn't have recognised her at all!

Edit: It's alright, I've got my answer! ;) Anyone know of any other now known actor/actress who had a small part in the Carry Ons when they were relatively unknown??
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    I wonder what Elke Sommers pay check was and how it compared with the regulars.
    Not complaining but I sometimes wonder when a big headliner like her or Phil Silvers is drafted in.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    I wonder what Elke Sommers pay check was and how it compared with the regulars.
    Not complaining but I sometimes wonder when a big headliner like her or Phil Silvers is drafted in.

Both Elke Sommers and Phil Silves were paid £30,000 for their respective films (allowing for inflation, Silvers' fee was the greatest in Carry On history).

The only other guest star to receive a bigger than average pay cheque was Harry H Corbett for Carry On Screaming (£12,000).

The main stars' fees varied from around £5,000 per film for Williams and Sid, to around £4,000 for Hawtrey and less for the female stars.