Options

"Impossible" by James Arthur already #1 on iTunes UK and Ireland

Comments

• Options
    AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hermanazo wrote: »
    Single-wise, music industry in the UK is at one of its highest ever! 5 singles over 900.000, 15 over 600.000 and 190 over 100.000.

Thanks, that is the logic I am looking for in order to answer my question.
  • Options
    JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I think the song is great- that's why it's selling so much and for a lot of people this song is new because they aren't aware of the original, they think it's his. If the original had peaked higher I doubt this would have sold as much.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, if that was case every winner's single would have high sales.

I'm a LM fan but honestly Cannonball was poor so I'm not surprised by the low sales. Impossible >>>>>>>>>>>>Cannonball.

Actually, I do agree with this. I like Little Mix a lot but Cannonball was a really poor, unfit for purpose winner's single. Impossible is actually a really good song that wasn't too well known originally, so sounds fresh. I can take or leave James's vocals which to me sound pretty weak, especially at the beginning, but the song itself is decent and sounds good on the radio (I've heard it a lot on R1 so airplay clearly hasn't been an issue either) and as I've said before, the charity aspect of the single, IMO, will have helped to boost sales further.
  • Options
    KiskinKiskin Posts: 6,280
    Forum Member
    *Liya* wrote: »
    Not everyone who likes an artist votes in the earlier rounds of the live shows. Phone votes are at their lowest at that point and people will start voting more during the semi final stage and beyond....the show also gets more viewers in the latter stages.

That, and I think he got better throughout the show. I loved his audition but didn't really like his first 4ish performances. He ended up my favourite. I know a few people like that. Plus yes when he was in the bottom two people did start voting more i think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AMS13 wrote: »
    Out of curiousity and I really do not understand, can somebody enlighten me. It has been the worst X Factor since whenever, viewing figures down, the decent acts voted out early.

James Arthur never connected with the public until two weeks before the end (owing to public voting data). Record sales are down in general and have been in the decline for a few years. He comes across as marmite, you either like him or you hate him. His face lacks animation. Has he got a sense of humour? He appears to insult anybody who does not see him as the Second Coming and as we have just celebrated the birth of Jesus Christ 2012 years ago, that seems rather ironic. So why are his record sales so high? He has even made Frankie Boyle seem humourous and I am no Frankie Boyle fan.

Michelle, I am on the same wave length as you.

Maybe because people who dont watch the XF have heard the single on the radio and like it, therefore gone and bought the single.
  • Options
    soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    I think the song is great- that's why it's selling so much and for a lot of people this song is new because they aren't aware of the original, they think it's his. If the original had peaked higher I doubt this would have sold as much.
    Yes, this :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, one of the artists I respect is currently number three (selling over a million) as opposed to King Arthur's number 4 in the same chart. My record collection consists of many artists, most having sold millions of albums internationally. That is besides the point.

My question is how many artists are selling over a million singles at the moment? Whether I like your hero or not, there is no denying he won the competition during a rather bad season, he is an acquired taste and does not appear to have the charm and charisma to reach out to the masses. So out of genuine interest, how has he sold so well?

Let me explain it in simple terms
    People hear a song, people like the song, people go and buy the song. Its not really that hard to work out.

Also the song is not only exclusive to people who watched the XF, So many who do not watch the show can also buy the single.

Let me ask you this, Why do you think because you dont like the single then everyone else should also not like the single?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Maybe popular culture is out of touch with decent music?

Music taste is subjective to that person, therefore no one can state for a fact what is decent music.
  • Options
    Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hitnmix wrote: »
    Let me explain it simple terms
    People hear a song, people like the song, people go and buy the song. Its not really that hard to work out.

Also the song is not only exclusive to people who watched the XF, So many who do not watch the show can also buy the single.

Let me ask you this, Why do you think because you dont like the single then everyone else should also not like the single?

This comment is the best!

YOU.JUST.GOT.OWNED!
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member

I don't think it's quite that simple to be fair.

Lots of people have bought it because they buy into the x factor hype machine. As for the others, it's more like they hear it, they hear it, they hear it, the eventually like it as they believe they are supposed to, they buy it because other people are.

There may be some who genuinely like it, but they will be the minority.

How many people who buy it will listen to it in even a months time? Good music is timeless, trends are not.
  • Options
    copterpylonscopterpylons Posts: 195
    Forum Member

Loving the patience. :)
    This comment is the best!

[HIGHLIGHT]YOU.JUST.GOT.OWNED![/HIGHLIGHT]

Loving the ownage as well. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Music taste is subjective to that person, therefore no one can state for a fact what is decent music.

That's not entirely true. I could bang a stick on a wall and call it music, but nobody would ever call it decent music.

Good music stands the test of time, the best songs ever written are completely timeless. Songs that are not, but are popular, are fashionable, trends, what have you. Popular because they are popular, rather than good.

There is lots of decent music don't like, and there some crap music I do. It doesn't mean there is no difference besides personal opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's quite that simple to be fair.

Lots of people have bought it because they buy into the x factor hype machine. As for the others, it's more like they hear it, they hear it, they hear it, the eventually like it as they believe they are supposed to, they buy it because other people are.

There may be some who genuinely like it, but they will be the minority.

How many people who buy it will listen to it in even a months time? Good music is timeless, trends are not.

LMAO right so you believe that we are all mind fecked by the show into buying music. Now I heard it all.
    Also if that was the case then why the hell did Tulisa do so badly after been on the show. So you see your theory is flawed from the start.

I mean really is it that hard to understand that people buy music because they like it. just like they would buy a t-shirt or a pack of crisps.

Also is it really that hard for you to understand just because you dislike something does not mean everyone else should also dislike something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not entirely true. I could bang a stick on a wall and call it music, but nobody would ever call it decent music.

Good music stands the test of time, the best songs ever written are completely timeless. Songs that are not, but are popular, are fashionable, trends, what have you. Popular because they are popular, rather than good.

There is lots of decent music don't like, and there some crap music I do. It doesn't mean there is no difference besides personal opinion.

For what you and the majority class as good music they will always be someone else who would class it as crap.

Therefore no one cant state for a fact thats its decent music because there will always be someone else who dislikes it.

They can have an opinion but thats all it is an opinion not a fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LMAO right so you believe that we are all mind fecked by the show into buying music. Now I heard it all.
    Also if that was the case then why the hell did Tulisa do so badly after been on the show. So you see your theory is flawed from the start.

I mean really is it that hard to understand that people buy music because they like it. just like they would buy a t-shirt or a pack of crisps.

Also is it really that hard for you to understand just because you dislike something does not mean everyone else should also dislike something.

I never said people should dislike it because I do.

And yes I do believe a lot of people buy it because it's popular and marketed and hyped.

I still listen, with millions of other people, to "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead. A song that is 20 years old, but is decent music.

How many people will listen to James Arthur's version of Impossible in 20 years?

The difference is simple, one is good music, the other is a passing trend.

There's is lots of decent music I don't like, and lots that I do, but it's blindingly obvious when music is popular for fashion and when music is popular because it's decent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For what you and the majority class as good music they will always be someone else could class as crap.

Therefore no one cant state for a fact thats its decent music because there will always be someone else who dislikes it.

They can have an opinion but thats all it is an opinion not a fact.

Liking or disliking music does not determine whether it is decent or not, that is the point I am making. Just because I dislike Elvis doesn't mean his music isn't decent. Lots of people still like it, it's well made, so it is decent music, just not my personal taste. Can you not see that? I will argue against anyone who says it isn't decent music, even though I don't personally like it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member

And yes I do believe a lot of people buy it because it's popular and marketed and hyped.

I still listen, with millions of other people, to "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead. A song that is 20 years old, but is decent music.

How many people will listen to James Arthur's version of Impossible in 20 years?

There's is lots of decent music I don't like, and lots that I do, but it's blindingly obvious when music is popular for fashion and when music is popular because it's decent.

But here you say your music is good music, other peoples is a trend.

I myself listen to a range of music, ninety nine percent of the time, my iTunes is on shuffle so anything from Eminem to U2 to One Direction might come on.

I can see why you would think like you do but realistically if people thought his winners song was crap, they wouldn't have bought it.
    If I hear what is number one and I think it's awful, I don't buy it. It's not as simple as oh it's number one, better buy it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why cants you understand that music is subjective therefore what one person thinks is decent another does not.

I mean really you expect everyone to agree that Elvis made decent music, I sorry but that just naive,

We all have different opinions and thats a good thing because if we didnt then we would all be just like robots agreeing on everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why cants you understand that music is subjective therefore what one person thinks is decent another does not.

I mean really you expect everyone to agree that Elvis made decent music, I sorry but that just naive,

We all have different opinions and thats a good thing because if we didnt then we would all be just like robots agreeing on everything.

Of course Elvis made decent music, that doesn't mean you have to like it. I don't.

Decent music has time put into it, heart, effort, soul, art.
    You can like or dislike decent music, you can like or dislike crap music. Decent music stands the test of time, crap music doesn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But here you say your music is good music, other peoples is a trend.

I myself listen to a range of music, ninety nine percent of the time, my iTunes is on shuffle so anything from Eminem to U2 to One Direction might come on.

I can see why you would think like you do but realistically if people thought his winners song was crap, they wouldn't have bought it.
    If I hear what is number one and I think it's awful, I don't buy it. It's not as simple as oh it's number one, better buy it.

Not at all, there is lots of good music I don't like. Eminem for example is decent music, but not really to my taste.

Will One Direction still be on your shuffle in 20 years time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course Elvis made decent music, that doesn't mean you have to like it. I don't.

Decent music has time put into it, heart, effort, soul, art.
    You can like or dislike decent music, you can like or dislike crap music. Decent music stands the test of time, crap music doesn't.

Again thats your opinion this does not make it a fact.

The only way it would be a fact is if everyone agreed with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why are you putting ownership on people disliking something, assuming that they object to anybody who does not have the same taste as themselves? By the way I never bothered watching the X Factor this year, but occasionally flicked channels and caught bits and bobs.

As James Arthur does not appeal to me, and a few of his offensive tweets have not endeared me wishing to buy into him, but that does not mean I object to others finding his music to their liking. Just we have different tastes

So owing to that, I was asking the question of why is he is successful at the moment, particularly as there has not been much time to market him, the show was not the best and his personality leaves a lot to be desired, or perhaps that is due to his management team not bringing out the best in him.

Somebody had the intelligence to inform me that the singles chart is on a high at the moment. A nice answer and the poster did not need to resort to personal insults to make his point.

As another poster pointed out to you about good music, popular music and being subjective to taste, The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl are a good example of what they tried to explain 25 years ago 'Fairy Tale in New York' missed out on the Xmas number one position to the Pet Shop Boys. This week it becomes the 126th million selling single and I wonder if "'Impossible' by James Arthur will be remembered in 25 years time. It may or it may not, who knows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Again thats your opinion this does not make it a fact.

The only way it would be a fact is if everyone agreed with you.

You're completely missing the point, I give up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why are you putting ownership on people disliking something, assuming that they object to anybody who does not have the same taste as themselves? By the way I never bothered watching the X Factor this year, but occasionally flicked channels and caught bits and bobs.

As James Arthur does not appeal to me, and a few of his offensive tweets have not endeared me wishing to buy into him, but that does not mean I object to others finding his music to their liking. Just we have different tastes

So owing to that, I was asking the question of why is he is successful at the moment, particularly as there has not been much time to market him, the show was not the best and his personality leaves a lot to be desired, or perhaps that is due to his management team not bringing out the best in him.

Somebody had the intelligence to inform me that the singles chart is on a high at the moment. A nice answer and the poster did not need to resort to personal insults to make his point.

As another poster pointed out to you about good music, popular music and being subjective to taste, The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl are a good example of what they tried to explain 25 years ago 'Fairy Tale in New York' missed out on the Xmas number one position to the Pet Shop Boys. This week it becomes the 126th million selling single and I wonder if "'Impossible' by James Arthur will be remembered in 25 years time. It may or it may not, who knows.

I completely agree, well said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree, well said.

Sorry Stormwave, I meant to use your name rather than 'other poster'.