Options

Children running around restaurants

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,765
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I went out for a meal with family earlier and the family sat behind us had two young children with them, a baby and a toddler of around two or so. They continually let the older child run riot around the restaurant, she wasnt being naughty as such but she was getting under the feet of the staff who were carrying hot food and trays of drinks. She also kept wandering up to other people's tables as they were trying to eat. At no point did her mother try and stop her, she just smiled at her adoringly like she was doing nothing wrong.

I'm not against children being in restaurants at all, far from it. But why do some parents think its acceptable to allow their precious darlings to run riot when not only are other people trying to enjoy a nice meal, but when staff are trying to work? I'm sure these parents would be the first to kick up a fuss if hot food got spilled on the child wouldn't they? So why allow your child to put themselves in potential danger?

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Children have no place in restaurants.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Why not just turn around and ask them politely to control their child?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ill behaved children in restaurants are as annoying as loud, drunk adults.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    the staff should`ve had a word.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    That's what you get for going Mcdonalds
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Children misbehaving in restaurants /cafes is one of my pet hates :mad: When mine was small they were warned before hand in no uncertain terms what would happen if they didn't sit still at the table before we went ,and they knew from an early age that was one place they couldn't getaway with playing up
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    This does my head in. I like taking my 3 year old to restaurants but if he did any of that we would go home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ill behaved children in restaurants are as annoying as loud, drunk adults.

I agree. The mother wasn't some young, chavy type either. She was smartly dressed, well spoken and older. I'd say early 40's. At one point she wandered off away from where we sitting and into another part of the restaurant, that was the only time that she got up to bring her back.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :o :mad: My brother's children when we are out. You have to hear it to believe it. I make excuses now not to go.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member

Yes they do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Children in restaurants is a good thing! I don't agree with these people who think that the only dining out children should experience is McDonalds and Wacky Warehouse type places. Children are more than capable of eating out without jumping in a ball pool between courses...

But this lady shouldn't have been letting her little one disturb other people while they ate, I wouldn't have liked that.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    Why not just turn around and ask them politely to control their child?

It's a minefield of hateful mumsnet parents you're entering there.
    Whenever I've told parents that maybe possibly perhaps they should keep an eye on their 5-year olds rather than let them run riot in a packed football stadium, I have received the most hateful, resentful looks and remarks ever.

Of course, if the child DOES eventually get lost, that tune changes instantly into a very tearful "Please help me, I can't find my little one."

Some parents are responsible, some aren't. Not much to be done I'm afraid.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Children shouldn't be seen or heard in my book... if I see children in a restaurant I walk straight out :o:(
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »
    Children shouldn't be seen or heard in my book... if I see children in a restaurant I walk straight out :o:(

Me too. I go to the places that have signs up "no children".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cah wrote: »
    Children misbehaving in restaurants /cafes is one of my pet hates :mad: When mine was small they were warned before hand in no uncertain terms what would happen if they didn't sit still at the table before we went ,and they knew from an early age that was one place they couldn't getaway with playing up

This is how it was for us when we were little. It was made clear that if we didn't behave we'd be straight from there. The vast majority of children are well behaved, but you always get at least one family were the parents couldn't give a stuff
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went out for a meal with family earlier and the family sat behind us had two young children with them, a baby and a toddler of around two or so. They continually let the older child run riot around the restaurant, she wasnt being naughty as such but she was getting under the feet of the staff who were carrying hot food and trays of drinks. She also kept wandering up to other people's tables as they were trying to eat. At no point did her mother try and stop her, she just smiled at her adoringly like she was doing nothing wrong.

I'm not against children being in restaurants at all, far from it. But why do some parents think its acceptable to allow their precious darlings to run riot when not only are other people trying to enjoy a nice meal, but when staff are trying to work? I'm sure these parents would be the first to kick up a fuss if hot food got spilled on the child wouldn't they? So why allow your child to put themselves in potential danger?

And adults are all perfectly well behaved when they go out for a drink or a meal are they?

Some of the most obnoxious people I have ever met have all been adults.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shhhhh wrote: »
    And adults are all perfectly behaved when they go out for a drink or a meal are they?

We had a table full of women at a Sunday carvery explaining the best way to 'lick a clit' at 5pm at the top of their voices. The child from the table next to us running around seemed a little trivial after that experience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend who lets her young boy run riot whenever they are out in public. We were in a supermarket and he was climbing behind boxes of beer on the shelves. In restaurants, he runs about, harasses other diners etc.

I have nothing against children in restaurants but for crying out loud, please keep them under control or leave them at home.
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a table full of women at a Sunday carvery explaining the best way to 'lick a clit' at 5pm at the top of their voices. The child from the table next to us running around seemed a little trivial after that experience.

Blimey:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shhhhh wrote: »
    Blimey:eek:

I'm no prude BUT there's a time and a place.

My son was sitting, well behaved at the table next to us. Thankfully he didn't have a clue what they were talking about.
  • Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Children should absolutely be allowed in restaurants so they learn from an early age how to behave when eating out. When I lived in Italy and France there were always children eating out with their parents with no issue. It does sound like the parent should have been controlling their child better in this instance though.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I despair of certain aspects of modern parenting. Parents who won't intervene / chastise / instruct / discipline their offspring make everyone else's life difficult.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I behaved like that in a resturrant when I was younger, my dad would have pulled me into line, and I wouldnt have done it again, I can tell you.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't mind if they are properly cooked.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the kids, it is the parents. And a 2yr old is too young to be taken out and made to sit still for more than an hour, they get bored!

The worst thing I have ever seen was in TGI Fridays once. Was out with friends and on the table next to us (in my eye line) was a mother (in her 40's) and her young daughter (maybe 5-6 years old). Throughout their whole meal (from starter to desert) the mother only spoke maybe twice to her kid. The rest of the time she was on her iphone emailing/ texting. She even told her daighter to be quiet when the kid wanted to show her a pic she had coloured in.

Poor poor kid.