Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're talking nonsense. Why on earth should an employer subject their workers to online bullying under the guise of "free speech"? For starters, that's tribunal territory.
    Err..

I did write ' politely '...perhaps you need to go back and read my post properly before jumping in with your own abuse.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Err..

I did write ' politely '...perhaps you need to go back and read my post properly before jumping in with your own abuse.

But much of what was written on the BBC boards - and indeed this forum - is simply hurling hurtful comments at presenters with no valid reason oher than "it's my opinon so I'm entitled to to" or "I pay my licence fee therefore I can say what I like".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Losing the will to live with the phrase "dumbing down".

I feel the same about "accessible" and "public service broadcasting".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has a terrible over inflated ego but try and politely point this out or criticise this fact on the 5live blogs or the BBC POV Message Boards and your comments are swiftly removed or you are banned in no uncertain terms but thats the ' free speech ' loving BBC for you.You can't even post any criticism of the BBC management style now without loads of posts being removed for breaking the house rules.They only want praise !!

You can't even speak your mind freely in this thread. Funnily enough though you can in the TalkSport thread, which shows that it doesn't depend on the moderators.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can't even speak your mind freely in this thread. Funnily enough though you can in the TalkSport thread, which shows that it doesn't depend on the moderators.

So you think it's perfectly OK to hurl abuse online for no other reason than you dislike somebody's voice? That kind of demonstrates the level of "debate" I was referring to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But much of what was written on the BBC boards - and indeed this forum - is simply hurling hurtful comments at presenters with no valid reason oher than "it's my opinon so I'm entitled to to" or "I pay my licence fee therefore I can say what I like".

Oh I see now........if you are a 5live presenter you can openly criticise politicians,sports stars,laugh at and deride members of the general public who take the time to phone in to the station with perhaps a different point of view ( and are faded out or cut off ) on any given subject to what the presenter may have ......... but any criticism of actual presenters is completely out of bounds because they are far too sensitive and can't handle hurtful comments they willing dish out to and see themselves as self proclaimed judge and jury on others .How does that work exactly ?

It happened this morning on Nolans programme.A woman took the trouble to phone in with an opinion on a subject and he started humiliating her and laughing at anything she had to say.When she remarked that his behaviour was typical BBC, he rudely just spoke over her.You can't have it both ways !
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's right over on the talkSPORT thread where I usually post I've always found the moderators to be extremely fair minded, don't misunderstand this to mean they will allow personal abuse against anyone though because they certainly won't they stamp down very hard on people harassing other people and quite rightly too but if you've got a grievance with the radio station they will allow you to write whatever you like providing it's not libellous or too over-offensive.

Regarding BBC Radio 5 I think overall it's a great station to listen to with plenty of variety, I listen a lot to this station and although they may be a few issues I have found with it it certainly has many many less negative issues to it than flipping forever getting worse talkSPORT, but I'm off again criticising TS and this is the Radio 5 thread so I shut up about them.

In my view a few certain Radio 5 presenters come in for far more criticism than maybe they deserve, what isn't one person's favourite presenter is certainly someone else's somewhere else, it's all about opinion, no one is right and no one is wrong, it's just personal choice and so getting personal with other members is not needed or warranted.

I'm thankful for Radio 5 it's a great radio station. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I see now........if you are a 5live presenter you can openly criticise politicians,sports stars,laugh at and deride members of the general public who take the time to phone in to the station with perhaps a different point of view ( and are faded out or cut off ) on any given subject to what the presenter may have ......... but any criticism of actual presenters is completely out of bounds because they are far too sensitive and can't handle hurtful comments they willing dish out to and see themselves as self proclaimed judge and jury on others .How does that work exactly ?

It happened this morning on Nolans programme.A woman took the trouble to phone in with an opinion on a subject and he started humiliating her and laughing at anything she had to say.You can't have it both ways !

Cyril I believe if you've got any grumbles regarding Radio 5 presenters people in here have every right in the world to air them, good comments or bad it shouldn't matter, as long as we all keep civil that's the important part. ("Civil" not Cyril lol) :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just finished uploading the final Saturday morning Danny Baker show of the year onto my hard drive and have just about banked the lot now all on my MP3 player. When there's nowt much on worth listening to live it'll be great to just put one of Danny's old shows on again, this podcasting idea is brilliant init. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

It happened this morning on Nolans programme.A woman took the trouble to phone in with an opinion on a subject and he started humiliating her and laughing at anything she had to say.When she remarked that his behaviour was typical BBC, he rudely just spoke over her.You can't have it both ways !

The key difference here is the principle of fair dealing.

Anyone agreeing to appear on a BBC show does so knowing what the subject matter will be, who the presenter is and - probably - being aware of the style of that presenter. If they subsequently feel they've been unfairly treated there's a clear complaints process.

Generally speaking, defamatory, untrue or libellous remarks are rarely broadcast. In certain threads here it seems to be par for the course.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The key difference here is the principle of fair dealing.

Anyone agreeing to appear on a BBC show does so knowing what the subject matter will be, who the presenter is and - probably - being aware of the style of that presenter. If they subsequently feel they've been unfairly treated there's a clear complaints process.

Generally speaking, defamatory, untrue or libellous remarks are rarely broadcast. In certain threads here it seems to be par for the course.

that is part of the freedom the web gives though - where previously only media people could transmit/broadcast opinions now everyone has a voice -

5 live in particular uses social media like twitter in abundance so they have to be prepared to take criticism in public as well.....

in comparison to LBC thread we've been positively polite about 5live presenters here - there's been a few rants but that's all overall it's all been fairly well reasoned IMO

both Cyril the Wasp and Billy244 are right

we do have a right to air our views as much as presenters do theirs & it is PSB so i personally feel we do have a right to hold them up for review
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Review, yes. Abuse, no. And that is my point. All this stuff about "we all have a voice because ofmthe internet" is what separates journalists and broadcasters - who have to abide by a set of rules - and the rest, who it seems can say what they like, no matter how hurtful, offensive or libellous it might be.
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are joking right ? 5live presenters are pussycats compared to presenters over at LBC. You think Nolan is rude ? Try listening to Nick Ferrari or even put James Max on now, it would give you a heart attack.

You think 5live presenters can't take criticism ? Every time I've heard a caller slate the presenter they have been given airtime and aloud to do it without being interrupted or cut off. Again if you listened to LBC you would have a heart attack, the clip below sums it up nicely.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1007559-the-best-put-down-in-radio
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    You are joking right ? 5live presenters are pussycats compared to presenters over at LBC. You think Nolan is rude ? Try listening to Nick Ferrari or even put James Max on now, it would give you a heart attack.

You think 5live presenters can't take criticism ? Every time I've heard a caller slate the presenter they have been given airtime and aloud to do it without being interrupted or cut off. Again if you listened to LBC you would have a heart attack, the clip below sums it up nicely.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1007559-the-best-put-down-in-radio

I have heard LBC and quite frankly most of the presenters are wind up merchants.Those listeners who are taken in by this low level of broadcasting and feel suitably enraged that they have to phone the show is all part of the commercial aspect of LBC and its rating.

I expect a much higher quality of broadcasting from the BBC and presenters such as from Nolan,Derbyshire or Campbell If you want to talk about bullying that is exactly what their quite disgusting broadcasting style is centred around but unfortunately there are those that defend them and see criticism of them as some kind of abuse.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I expect a much higher quality of broadcasting from the BBC and presenters such as from Nolan,Derbyshire or Campbell If you want to talk about bullying that is exactly what their quite disgusting broadcasting style is centred around but unfortunately there are those that defend them and see criticism of them as some kind of abuse.

If that really were the case, guests and callers who appear with those presenters would be quite rightly filing complaints to the BBC and - if the breaches were as serious as you allege - OFCOM as well.

I've never said that people shouldn't be allowed to criticise any presenters, so long as it's actually done constructively and in te spirit of debate - as opposed to bitching about Nolan's weight and travelling expenses or Burden's voice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was anybody listening earlier on when there was some invited guest on the phone who was slaughtering Robbie Savage who was a guest in the studio ?

Pretty sure Robbie will have noted those comments and will 'discuss' them man2man if thy ever meet up .
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    Was anybody listening earlier on when there was some invited guest on the phone who was slaughtering Robbie Savage who was a guest in the studio ?

Pretty sure Robbie will have noted those comments and will 'discuss' them man2man if thy ever meet up .

Yes........that was Pat Murphy, the Midlands football correspondant

Blimey, he really doesn't like like Robbie.............:eek:

He accused him of always talking over people and asked him to shut up and listen for a change............then later when Robbie made a point about Darren Bent he launched at him again, accusing him of never doing any research before he spouts off
  • Options
    Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

He accused him of always talking over people and asked him to shut up and listen for a change............then later when Robbie made a point about Darren Bent he launched at him again, accusing him of never doing any research before he spouts off

Not that he's not correct in everything about that airwave thief Savage, but Murphy does seem to like a feud.
    Aren't he & Ian Botham deadly foes as well?
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,600
    Forum Member
    Does Robbie Savage ever talk about anything else but how poor officials are..just because he was a dirty player who got booked a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that really were the case, guests and callers who appear with those presenters would be quite rightly filing complaints to the BBC and - if the breaches were as serious as you allege - OFCOM as well.

I've never said that people shouldn't be allowed to criticise any presenters, so long as it's actually done constructively and in te spirit of debate - as opposed to bitching about Nolan's weight and travelling expenses or Burden's voice.

its not bitching to debate nolan's travel expenses when he's paid by us its a valid criticism when public money is involved -as to his weight etc the odd joke on here have been very mild compared to say mock the week on Eamon Holmes but maybe they aren't fair here
    burden's voice? I don't know -its subjective & does have an effect on if people enjoy a show or not...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flashy Vic wrote: »
    Not that he's not correct in everything about that airwave thief Savage, but Murphy does seem to like a feud.
    Aren't he & Ian Botham deadly foes as well?

Sounds like Murphy is trying to make a name for himself .
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was a bit of an outburst from Pat Murphy but I suppose he'd probably just found out that CMJ had died and I expect they were pretty close as PM covers the test matches for Radio5 and presumably spent a lot of time on tour with CMJ over the years

Wiki suggests that he was disappointed when Agnew replaced CMJ as BBC cricket correspondant - presumably he thought he was next in line

Re the comment about Botham............PM wrote an 'acclaimed' biography of Botham...........erm, maybe Beefy didn't recognise the literary merit..............:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »

I thought at first Pat was just having a joke with Robbie Savage , but it soon became clear he was being serious . Made for good radio though .I very much respect Pat Murphy , he certainly does to his research , and is an expert on Midlands football .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't listen to the soccer parts so didn' t catch this sounds entertaining though!

did hear bit of radio 4 this morning & they were having guest editors like al Murray _ this was great idea that freshened rather stuffy R4 & could have been done for 5 live over Christmas too...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    I thought at first Pat was just having a joke with Robbie Savage , but it soon became clear he was being serious . Made for good radio though .I very much respect Pat Murphy , he certainly does to his research , and is an expert on Midlands football .

We may not agree on music radio david, but I'm with you on this. Pat does not need to "make a name" for himself. He's a highly respected sports journalist.

And here's a topic relevant to this thread - pundit or journo? Every talk/sport station needs a combination of both - but has the balance swung too much towards punditry?

Of course, on air verbal punch ups between the two are nothing new - and I would suggest that a lot of ding dongs you hear are pure "radio theatre". It's a performance. This example sounds different, but putting on an act when the microphone opens are part of the mix.
This discussion has been closed.