Options

LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    The way i did it was use an app called NFC Task Launcher which you then program the tag with the phone number etc.

There is another app however where you have all the details of the task on the phone and when you scan the tag it simply looks at the tag ID and executes the instructions that way. That's used only apparently for the older low memory NFC tags.

That's interesting. Doesn't that raise some interesting security issues? You could have got it to dial a premium phone number:eek:
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    That's interesting. Doesn't that raise some interesting security issues? You could have got it to dial a premium phone number:eek:

It does indeed when i think about it.

The good thing i guess security wise is the screen has to be unlocked before the NFC chip activates. So for instance if someone walked past you and tried to swipe your phone with a tag with a premium number on, it wouldn't work.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    How do they work then? Do you programme the tag with the instructions that need to be executed, or do the tags just have an id and the phone manages what is does with them?

You can do it both ways. But it only activates if your phone is not locked.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does indeed when i think about it.

The good thing i guess security wise is the screen has to be unlocked before the NFC chip activates. So for instance if someone walked past you and tried to swipe your phone with a tag with a premium number on, it wouldn't work.
    You can do it both ways. But it only activates if your phone is not locked.

Ok, not so bad.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    just activated my phone. The wifi signal is appalling. I can only get wifi bars at all in my lounge near the router, none at all in bedroom. Way worse than my iPad (which isn't great) and mac.
    Is this an issue with anyone else?
    My router is a new 'n' router, netgear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    just activated my phone. The wifi signal is appalling. I can only get wifi bars at all in my lounge near the router, none at all in bedroom. Way worse than my iPad (which isn't great) and mac.
    Is this an issue with anyone else?

You using it on the 5ghz band? I was and the signal was crap but it was crap on everything else as well. Jumped back to 2.4ghz and the wifi is fine all over the house.

I'm using a Virgin Media Superhub.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You using it on the 5ghz band? I was and the signal was crap but it was crap on everything else as well. Jumped back to 2.4ghz and the wifi is fine all over the house.

I'm using a Virgin Media Superhub.

The problem I found with my SuperHub is that it only works on 5GHz channels 36, 40, 44 and 48, all of which are only licensed for low power use in Europe, resulting in poor range.

My Time Capsule hosts my 5GHz network on channels 100 and 104 and the range is comparable to 2.4GHz networks hosted on either router. With my SuperHub and Time Capsule both hosting 5GHz networks from the same location I get an RSSI of -72 on my Mac in the office upstairs for the SuperHub network, and -61 for the Time Capsule on its preferred channels.

The Time Capsule also has the advantage of being simultaneous dual band rather than switchable dual band like the SuperHub, so I've got 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks running simultaneously. Devices that can take advantage of the faster connection on 5GHz can use it while still providing 2.4GHz access for older devices. It supports up to 450 Mbps on 5GHz and up to 195 Mbps on 2.4GHz.

For me though, it's the crowding on 2.4GHz that causes me the most problems. I live on a medium sized cul-de-sac and there are a lot of 2.4GHz networks in a relatively small space, but 5GHz is completely empty (aside from my network) so I get much better performance on 5GHz.

This is where the Nexus devices fall down with 5GHz WiFi though. LIke the SuperHub they only operate on channels 36, 40, 44 and 48 and none of the N4s or N10s I've had could see my 5GHz network unless I switched it to these low power channels, which don't provide sufficient range.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    ive been used to 16gb on my Gnex for a year now. I bought a USB OTG connector but to be honest i never used it. plenty of room for a few GB of music, loads of pictures and a couple of movies .... plus about 200 apps .... I really should de-clutter :p

dont get me wrong Id love more memory but id only fill it with even more junk. With Google Music its even less of a problem these days....

Yeah, I'm an an HTC Cha Cha at the moment, with 150MB of built in memory! The problem is that YouTube, Google Maps, and Facebook are all built in to the phone, and so the updates for those apps can't be moved to the SD card. Facebook gets bigger and bigger every time its updated and eaten all the memory. Every other app I've installed is on SD card, and if I get an app that can't be put on the card, I ditch it.

I went to CPW today to have a play with the Nexus 4. Now I REALLY REALLY want one :(
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    2.4GHz is worse on the Nexus than any other device I have.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »

Yeah same here, its terrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »

Mine seems fine. Sat here with an S3 and the N4 and the signal is the same on both.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    I'm no techie but my general understanding is that nexus 4 WiFi is poor -dors this apply out of home as well (am still in cooling off period and wondering if should have bought an iPhone)- but that time capsule could help? I run MBPro and iPad on same WiFi router. Neighbour went with plus net fttc and time capsule and has no more reception problems. Expensive solution...if it picks up WiFi OK in cafes and shops, may bite the bullet. Cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm no techie but my general understanding is that nexus 4 WiFi is poor -dors this apply out of home as well (am still in cooling off period and wondering if should have bought an iPhone)- but that time capsule could help? I run MBPro and iPad on same WiFi router. Neighbour went with plus net fttc and time capsule and has no more reception problems. Expensive solution...if it picks up WiFi OK in cafes and shops, may bite the bullet. Cheers

For me it just doesn't have a great range compared to any other of my devices, in and outside.

I know people say the bars don't mean anything but they tell you the signal strength as a bar rather than dB, this will all be done with software so different OSs can do it different.

The thing is my Nexus 7 displays 3-4 bars all over the house and if I walk down to the garage it still works. The Nexus 4 is fine in the house but does go down to 2 bars at points and if I go down to the garage I get no signal at all.

EDIT: I installed WiFi Analyzer on both devices and I am getting about -45 dBm on the Nexus 7 and -60 dBm on the Nexus 4. Both devices are at the exact same location.

EDIT2: From that same location, doing a speed test I am getting 14Mbps with the N7 and 11Mbps with the N4, I did multiple tests against the same server to confirm this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine seems fine. Sat here with an S3 and the N4 and the signal is the same on both.

I'm unsure if that just means that the S3 had poor WiFi too lol. Do you also have a N7? How do they compare?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Curiously I ran the speed test on my iPad and it also gets 11Mbps, maybe the Nexus 7 just has abnormally good WiFi lol
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Just used wifi analyzer to compare my GNex to my lads N4.

On low channels the N4 was 5 to 10 dbm lower than the Gnex but in the high channels it was picking up extra (neighbours) wifi that my Gnex couldnt see.

EDIT: The kids are happily streaming movies from the NAS drive though so i wouldnt class it as crap .....
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which netgear model number and firmware version?
    Maybe use those suggestions and obviously, as we now well know, bar size is not everything.
    I'm no techie but my general understanding is that nexus 4 WiFi is poor -dors this apply out of home as well... .

Well I'm still curious and certainly have no 'general understanding' on this.
  • Options
    CaptnSpauldingCaptnSpaulding Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    What's the camera like on this?

I'm very interested in this as I've heard great things, but no mention of the camera.

I'm coming from an iPhone 4 so in comparison is the camera better on the Nexus 4?

I''ve tried android before and never stayed very long with them. I had a Galaxy Note but didn't like Touchwiz and it's size got to me eventually. Then I had a Nexus which I liked but the camera was very poor. Also if I remember rightly, I had issues with setting up Hotmail with the inbuilt mail app because it wouldn't push. I tried setting up as Active Exchange but then pictures wouldn't display unless you clicked 'view' or 'download' on every single email - and the Hotmail app is a no go as it's fugly and useless.

Would it be wise to go for this phone on a 24 month contract or maybe wait for the S3 and put up with Touchwiz!?

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    The camera isn't brilliant to be honest. On nice, bright day you'll get some lovely photos but other than that, it leaves a lot to be desired. They're not terrible photos, they're just not brilliant either. The iPhone has a far superior camera.
  • Options
    CaptnSpauldingCaptnSpaulding Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Jordosaur wrote: »
    The camera isn't brilliant to be honest. On nice, bright day you'll get some lovely photos but other than that, it leaves a lot to be desired. They're not terrible photos, they're just not brilliant either. The iPhone has a far superior camera.

Thanks for the honesty, think I better hold out than be unhappy for 2 years :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Curiously I ran the speed test on my iPad and it also gets 11Mbps, maybe the Nexus 7 just has abnormally good WiFi lol

Dont have that sorry.

But do have a Kindle HD and my sister is up just now with her ipad and they all are getting the same.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the camera like on this?...
    I'm coming from an iPhone 4 so in comparison is the camera better on the Nexus 4?
    If camera is important I'd consider checking some of Sony's top phones.
    I think it is still a Sony camera in the iPhone.

Would also be interesting to see who makes the Samsung and LG ones .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the honesty, think I better hold out than be unhappy for 2 years :)

No problem! I had an S3 before my Nexus 4 (only changed because my S3 was stolen) and the camera on the S3 is better, but again, not as good as in iPhone in my experience!

If the camera is important, the iPhone 4S/5 has a clear advantage, though I found the camera on my Nokia Lumia 800 was very good, so if you're happy about looking into Windows Phone 8, check out some of the new Lumia models as I'm sure they're all fitted with good cameras!

(Reading this back has made me realise how quickly i've gone through phones this year. Got a Lumia 800 in Feb, got an S3 in September and then got a Nexus 4 in November!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jordosaur wrote: »
    No problem! I had an S3 before my Nexus 4 (only changed because my S3 was stolen) and the camera on the S3 is better, but again, not as good as in iPhone in my experience!

If the camera is important, the iPhone 4S/5 has a clear advantage, though I found the camera on my Nokia Lumia 800 was very good, so if you're happy about looking into Windows Phone 8, check out some of the new Lumia models as I'm sure they're all fitted with good cameras!

(Reading this back has made me realise how quickly i've gone through phones this year. Got a Lumia 800 in Feb, got an S3 in September and then got a Nexus 4 in November!)

See i found the opposite! I found the S3 camera to be miles better than my 4S and even pics i have seen taken with the 5. Videos were also much better.

The N4, while pics aren't as good, videos from what i have seen are much better than the 4S/5 and on par with the S3 i would say.

Same here regarding phones! Had the S2, 4S, S3 and now Nexus 4 lol :D
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See i found the opposite! I found the S3 camera to be miles better than my 4S and even pics i have seen taken with the 5. Videos were also much better.

The N4, while pics aren't as good, videos from what i have seen are much better than the 4S/5 and on par with the S3 i would say.

Same here regarding phones! Had the S2, 4S, S3 and now Nexus 4 lol :D

I found photos much the same between my S3 and wifes iPhone 5. But videos are much better on S3 imo.

I've always found iPhone cameras pretty weak.