Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Barnesy and Keegan agreeing with my view that Luis looked embarrassed when the handball wasn't given. I suppose people will claim bias though.

Great to see the comments of the Mansfield manager though. I bet that won't get much coverage beyond ESPN.

Ray Stubbs really trying to get a reaction. I have to say Jon Champions reaction on commentary was totally disgusting and a complete lack of professionalism. No way would he have reacted like that with 90% of players!
  • Options
    supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't deliberate. He'll still be demonised though. As I said earlier, he doesn't care, nor should he.

He clearly lifted his arm to meet the ball.

Cheat.
  • Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, Mansfield have been denied the financial benefit, and the glory, of a replay at one of the worlds most famous stadiums, Anfield. And all because of the actions of a cheat.

In fairness to Suarez though, the action was probably instinctive. But it was still hand ball. And the linesman's had a shocker for not spotting it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    Ray Stubbs really trying to get a reaction. I have to say Jon Champions reaction on commentary was totally disgusting and a complete lack of professionalism. No way would he have reacted like that with 90% of players!

Jon who? Never heard of him, does he know what he's talking about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    So, Mansfield have been denied the financial benefit, and the glory, of a replay at one of the worlds most famous stadiums, Anfield. And all because of the actions of a cheat.

In fairness to Suarez though, the action was probably instinctive. But it was still hand ball. And the linesman's had a shocker for not spotting it.

He clearly tried to pull his arm back. Even if he did do it deliberately I don't really care a jot. Like the Mansfield boss said, had it been up the other end his players would have taken it.

Football hypocrisy strikes again I suppose. we are all the same. Love it when it goes for you hate it when it doesn't.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,442
    Forum Member
    supertalk wrote: »
    He clearly lifted his arm to meet the ball.

Cheat.

He didn't, and he isn't.

Happens all the time in football, every week. Players don't have superhuman reactions to balls moving towards their arms at high speeds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So do tell, does Luis trot to the ref saying 'no goal' and face the wrath of his club, team mates and every lfc fan, or go by the refs decision of not picking it up and getting called a cheat for it? He was waiting for it it be called out, but not his fault the refs were crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    Jon who? Never heard of him, does he know what he's talking about?

No, he doesn't.

Some commentators are going with the "he kissed his hand to mock the opposition!!!" line

Suarez always kisses his wrist after he scores.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suarez would have to have the reaction speed of Superman to deliberately control that ball with his arm.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    John Barnes really is clueless.

"No one called Henry a cheat after his handball for France"

Really, John? Really??
  • Options
    supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He didn't, and he isn't.

Happens all the time in football, every week. Players don't have superhuman reactions to balls moving towards their arms at high speeds.

Actually he has quite good reactions since he lifted his arm to meet the ball ricochet off the keeper.

No way was it ball to hand.

I supplied a video.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually he has quite good reactions since he lifted his arm to meet the ball ricochet off the keeper.

I supplied a video.

How do you explain his arm going backwards not forwards then?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I supplied a video.

Yes, I've seen the footage. It wasn't deliberate.

No doubt the media will do a Jim Garrett style breakdown of it though, and the conclusion will be just as flawed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »

Really, John? Really??

A daft comment no doubt but clueless is a crass statement for a man well respected as a player and now summariser.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »

Yeah, that jarred with me when I heard it. Not like Champion. I usually find him fairly even handed. He leaves to comedy words to wingnut sat next to him.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »

Your first sentence contradicts your second. You can't say he's a cheat then say it's instinctive. It's one or the other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A daft comment no doubt but clueless is a crass statement for a man well respected as a player and now summariser.

He's not respected by me, I think he's consistently terrible.
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would you guys react if this was Hernandez with the handball next weekend?
  • Options
    Plant_PiePlant_Pie Posts: 3,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see Brendan Rodgers admit it was handball and lucky and not do a 'I didnt see it' or deny it routine.

Thats the issue with the hand ball situation at times,sometimes they havent got the speed to get themselves out the way and yet often get punished for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's not respected by me, I think he's consistently terrible.

Is that because he's not on the behemoth that is Sky so often. He's a very well off man, doesn't need to sell his soul for the Murdoch silver.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CTD101 wrote: »
    How would you guys react if this was Hernandez with the handball next weekend?

By then, Man Utd will probably be 3-0 up anyway, so it won't make much difference.
  • Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    Your first sentence contradicts your second. You can't say he's a cheat then say it's instinctive. It's one or the other.

Deliberate handball or instinctive deliberate handball is still handball. The only debate is if it was deliberate or not. I say it was, others will say it wasn't. Ehhh... bloody football eh? :eek:
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member

I supplied a video.

Suarez deserves the player of the year award for the way he has single handedly kept Liverpool in touching distance of top six.....it's an insult to keep calling him a cheat...I'm not a Liverpool fan.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really, John? Really??

He was an awesome player though :D

In fairness Luis isn't the first won't be the last, will he get more stick then Demba Ba did (v Reading I think)...too right he will.

I don't think Luis thought it would be allowed, when he volleyed the ball into the net I'm sure he expected a flag. The only funny thing for me is that I think the linesman who didn't give it was the same one who raised his flag to deny Suarez v Everton. Conspiracy theory - the linesman is out to get Luis!

Maybe we should offer to replay the game as a gesture of goodwill. Also I don't think Luis should have even been asked to go on in this game at all.

Brad Jones MOTM for me.

Mansfields chairman or owner has done well for himself with his Mrs too. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is that because he's not on the behemoth that is Sky so often. He's a very well off man, doesn't need to sell his soul for the Murdoch silver.

Yeah ok, that'll be it(!)
This discussion has been closed.