Options

Am I the only one who thinks Mrs Brown's Boys is utter crap?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    nope your not the only one
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Why do you think it's homophobic? I suspect that one of the main characters may, in fact, be gay.

Gay in real life? One of them is a lesbian I think but it doesn't make a difference anyway.

No I think the jokes against the gay son are in the same league as black folk next door jokes. He's a rather offensive stereotype and its hideous.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    Gay in real life? One of them is a lesbian I think but it doesn't make a difference anyway.

No I think the jokes against the gay son are in the same league as black folk next door jokes. He's a rather offensive stereotype and its hideous.

But the actor is a real gay man and is one of Brendan's closest friends in real life (they've worked side by side for over 20 years). I'd certainly have my doubts there is any intended homophobia behind his depiction.
  • Options
    harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're clearly not the only one. It's old-fashioned and not in a good way. I read a review that compared it to Carla Lane's Bread, but that's an insult to Carla Lane because Bread, which was probably viewed critically as a lot like Mrs Brown's Boys at the time, was far funnier. It even had more depth and better-written characters.
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJFerrol wrote: »
    The humour if that's what you call it is desperate at the best of times. There are only so many times you can laugh at someone braking the forth wall and swearing in an Irish accent. Don't even get me started on them protracted heart felt moments

It's utter drivel . I didn't get Father Ted either.
  • Options
    harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    I didn't get Father Ted either.

I found Father Ted was far better. The actors could act and the situations were genuinely amusing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very old 1970s humour. Doesn't appeal to anyone under the age of 50. Dreadful.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,639
    Forum Member

I thought it was bad 2000+ humour - rather like the equally bad shock US cartoon series. The seventies had some of the best comedies ever - alongside some of the worst.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't get it at first but it's grown on me, although I didn't like the schmaltzy bits at Christmas. They didn't really 'fit' the genre. Started watching it because friends and family were raving about it and, at first, thought WTF? Now, I find myself switching it on, although I don't think it's in the same league as Father Ted. That would take some beating.
  • Options
    MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    There's nothing remotely sexist or racist about MBB though, and I don't think Brendan would be too pleased to be compared to the likes of Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson : he cites Dick Emery and Les Dawson as his chief influences.

To be honest, i've not watched enough to make an opinion on whether it's racist or sexist. Boorish and lazy yes, but not racist. Les Dawson is obviously a much preferable influence though absolutely! :)
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a fan of MBBs. I respect folk that do, I Just haven't ever got into it.

Seen a few episodes I don't get the whole 'Bloopers kept in the episode thing as it's funny anyway'. rather sloppy.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jw2011 wrote: »
    It's not everyone's cup of tea. If you think it's rubbish, don't watch it - and don't complain about how much you don't like it.
    Alternatively, if you don't like to see people complaining about it, stay out of threads started by those who think it's utter crap.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't get my finger on the remote fast enough to change channel - and that's just the trailers.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »

No, I meant the character. And I don't recall anything which could be called a joke against him. What is funny is Mrs Brown's inability (or possibly refusal) to recognise that he's gay. But that's a joke against the character, Mrs Brown.
    Eurostar wrote: »
    But the actor is a real gay man and is one of Brendan's closest friends in real life (they've worked side by side for over 20 years). I'd certainly have my doubts there is any intended homophobia behind his depiction.

I had no idea whether or not the actor was gay; it's not something I'd wondered about. I can't see any homophobia in the programme, rather a sort of fondness. Even Mrs Brown's refusal to recognise Rory (I think) as gay isn't homophobic, since she was happy when she thought that Cathy was.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're clearly not the only one. It's old-fashioned and not in a good way. I read a review that compared it to Carla Lane's Bread, but that's an insult to Carla Lane because Bread, which was probably viewed critically as a lot like Mrs Brown's Boys at the time, was far funnier. It even had more depth and better-written characters.

Bread was funny, had depth and well written characters?

Can't be the programme of that name I recall.

The little I have seen of Mrs Brown's Boys has not given me a desire to see any more of it.
  • Options
    JohnTheDrumJohnTheDrum Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    It's utter drivel . I didn't get Father Ted either.
    +1.
    Or, if you prefer actual English, I heartily concur with your analysis.
    :D
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Why do you find it slightly irritating when people feel the need to start threads saying how much they hate a TV programme? The OP is posting on a forum about TV programmes, nothing in rules says that all threads must be positive and gushing, it's not a crime to post a thread asking who else doesn't like a certain show. If you want only positive threads then you're going to be unlucky, I don't want to be bored out of my mind by only reading positive feedback because it doesn't attract debate.

For the record, I love Mrs Brown's Boys, I even enjoy the dire Christmas specials, probably because I appreciate Brendan O'Carroll's portrayal of a woman who reminds me of my late mother in law (except that my MIL never, ever swore).

Very true Twinkle. Discussion forums ar for those who like and dislike.

What gets on my nerves however is when people who don't like a certain TV programme denigrate the people who do like it.

Comments like "says it all for those who do like it" or "it takes a certain type". Why the need for a superior attitude?

For the record I am not a fan, but I would never look down on my father, who is a fan, for instance.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,991
    Forum Member
    Saw this over the weekend, and it was embarrassingly awful.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am Irish but I can`t be bothered with it, my sister however loves it and even went to the live show in Belfast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seen a few episodes I don't get the whole 'Bloopers kept in the episode thing as it's funny anyway'. rather sloppy.

Now I'm the opposite.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I like the program having only seen the recent Christmas Specials and the first couple of episodes of this series.

However, the one part that I have liked is that it's still played as if they were doing it on stage - the "mistakes" are worked around and embraced. "Mrs Brown" isn't confined to the set etc.

I actually find that a refreshing change.

Iain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Yeah I don't get it
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    absolute rubbish

who on earth comissions this garbage?
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The TV ratings tell us it is scoring superbly with 18-49 year olds.
  • Options
    milkybarnickmilkybarnick Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comedy is subjective; this thread and (many many) others on DS demonstrate that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe people are comparing this to Father Ted.