Options

iPhone 6 and iOS 7 reportedly in development, expected to release in mid-2013

Comments

• Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    you often seem to forget the magic word ... opinion :p

I fully appreciate yours may be different from mine (what with those years of Apple brainwashing :p) but please respect that with better/worse there are no definites .... its all opinions ..... ;)

Well, if you think that the ability to see one line of useful information in the browser window compared with 8 lines is "better" then I think you have a strange opinion. Don't forget, I use both these devices and my opinion comes from real world experience, not by reading specs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    User accounts is an odd one as I genuinely cant understand why it took anyone so long to deliver this functionality on a tablet. To me it seemed like "requirement number 1".....

Bear in mind it's only just arrived on Android
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Swype keyboard is a bit 'meh' ..... i cant get used to it anyway so i have never seen it as a big win for me.

It's the only thing that makes the Nexus half way usable (IMO !)
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    User accounts is an odd one as I genuinely cant understand why it took anyone so long to deliver this functionality on a tablet. To me it seemed like "requirement number 1".....

Swype keyboard is a bit 'meh' ..... i cant get used to it anyway so i have never seen it as a big win for me.

But if I had user accounts, others might think they can use my tablet. That isn't going to happen:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another couple of things I would love to see on IOS -

Cursor keys on the keyboard. I have never understood this, even Android doesn't have it (on the stock keyboard). The number of times I get the cursor in the wrong position by one character and then spend ages trying to move it by one character. Just seems so obvious a feature.

A mute switch that really does mute the device - i.e. behaves as if the speaker wire had been cut with a pair of wire cutters. I understand the philosophy of solicited and unsolicited sounds and the difference between the mute switch and the volume controls but sometimes I just want the darn thing quiet no matter what happens.
    I rarely switch off my phone but I was at a funeral the other day and had been using TomTom to get there. Sometimes when you arrive somewhere and the GPS loses signal and then suddenly acquires it again you can get an unexpected "you have reached your destination" even with the mute switch on - not entirely appropriate in the middle of a funeral :)
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

I used it on the S2, S3 and now the N4 and love it. So much quicker once you get used to it. It does come out with some typs crackers though!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    But if I had user accounts, others might think they can use my tablet. That isn't going to happen:)

To be serious, that is precisely the value of user accounts, I am loathe to pass my tablets around for general consumption cos all they have to do is hit the mail icon to see my mail (and yes, I can disable the account but that is a hoop i don't particularly want to jump through).
    However, I have recently discovered Guided Access on IOS which is a halfway house which enables you to give someone your iPad locked down to a given application.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Bear in mind it's only just arrived on Android

I agree. my comment wasnt anti-apple at all ! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another couple of things I would love to see on IOS -

Cursor keys on the keyboard. I have never understood this, even Android doesn't have it (on the stock keyboard). The number of times I get the cursor in the wrong position by one character and then spend ages trying to move it by one character. Just seems so obvious a feature.

A mute switch that really does mute the device - i.e. behaves as if the speaker wire had been cut with a pair of wire cutters. I understand the philosophy of solicited and unsolicited sounds and the difference between the mute switch and the volume controls but sometimes I just want the darn thing quiet no matter what happens.
    I rarely switch off my phone but I was at a funeral the other day and had been using TomTom to get there. Sometimes when you arrive somewhere and the GPS loses signal and then suddenly acquires it again you can get an unexpected "you have reached your destination" even with the mute switch on - not entirely appropriate in the middle of a funeral :)

cursor keys ! agree 100% !!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree. my comment wasnt anti-apple at all ! :eek:

Yes, sorry, I didn't read it as such but was adding that comment for people who might not realise it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, if you think that the ability to see one line of useful information in the browser window compared with 8 lines is "better" then I think you have a strange opinion. Don't forget, I use both these devices and my opinion comes from real world experience, not by reading specs.

what a totally condescending post ..... :rolleyes:

i find the aspect ratio very good for what I want to use it for as I tend to force the browser to use the desktop site - therefore i get the same visible window as i do on my laptop and desktop .....

but i am more than happy to admit that your opinion may differ ..... if you want a different look and feel on phone, tablet and desktop then thats up to you but please dont consider yourself as the definitive expert on such matters. that just makes you look silly.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the iPad I use the four finger swipe to bring up the task bar which works well. I don't know if you can do it on the phone?

I don't know if you can do it on an iPhone as I don't own one, yes I use this four finger swipe but the trouble is there could be 20 odd icons or in the task bar so it can be a pain to find the one you want to switch to ( also is there a way of killing all apps without having to do each one individually ! )

I would like some way to set a preference for a default task swap, for example for me I most commonly switch from email to the browser so I would like some way of setting the browser as the default app to switch to with say a certain swipe action from within the email app and vice versa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I don't know if you can do it on an iPhone as I don't own one, yes I use this four finger swipe but the trouble is there could be 20 odd icons or in the task bar so it can be a pain to find the one you want to switch to ( also is there a way of killing all apps without having to do each one individually ! )

I would like some way to set a preference for a default task swap, for example for me I most commonly switch from email to the browser so I would like some way of setting the browser as the default app to switch to with say a certain swipe action from within the email app and vice versa.

I don't think there is a way of killing all the apps in one go. I know what you mean about quickly switching. The problem is I think apple wish to keep the interface clean (and I agree with them) so trying to come up with a simple switch interface is not easy.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dontpannic wrote: »
    Feature phone style? What a ridiculous comment to make .
    Nope, its a fixed system which also has advantages.

The fixed system is also why Apple made it plain that it does not want apps that compete with the 'feature set'.
    It supposedly took Google 2 years to get the Latitude app accepted, much for this reason.

The situation might just change as IOS and OS/X merge.
  • Options
    dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think everyone is missing the point here. You are comparing widescreen on a full size monitor with widescreen on a 7 inch tablet. On a 'proper' computer one tends to have two windows open side by side and then of course widescreen is much better. On a 7" tablet however, it is undeniable (ducks, and runs) that 4:3 is more useful for most non movie purposes.
    I have just taken a ruler to my Nexus 7 and iPad mini in portrait mode with the following result -

N7 KB height 46mm screen height 138mm i.e. 1/3
    iPad KB height 40mm screen height 160mm i.e 1/4

Despite the assertion that the keyboard in portrait mode on the iPad takes up more of the screen it actually takes up less.
    Furthermore, when you look at them side by side (still in portrait mode) the iPad keyboard is infinitely preferable to type on (the keys are bigger and further apart, they always feel squashed up on the N7)

Thankyou!
    you often seem to forget the magic word ... opinion :p

I fully appreciate yours may be different from mine (what with those years of Apple brainwashing :p) but please respect that with better/worse there are no definites .... its all opinions ..... ;)

Every single Android vs iOS thread is opinion, however, some people seem to think that their opinions constitute fact and it spirals from there. The be all and end all, and there is no continuation to this whatsoever, is that people have different uses and needs for devices and devices do these things in different ways. What's perfect for one user is a hinderance to another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Nope, its a fixed system which also has advantages.

The fixed system is also why Apple made it plain that it does not want apps that compete with the 'feature set'.
    It supposedly took Google 2 years to get the Latitude app accepted, much for this reason.

The situation might just change as IOS and OS/X merge.

What is this feature set that others cannot compete in?

If latitude was accepted, that clearly isn't one of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    what a totally condescending post ..... :rolleyes:

i find the aspect ratio very good for what I want to use it for as I tend to force the browser to use the desktop site - therefore i get the same visible window as i do on my laptop and desktop .....

It's nothing to do with using the desktop site - I do the same with Chrome on my iPad if I want the real site, but it's to do with the fact that the keyboard obscures a good proportion of the browser window when in landscape mode. Dare I say, if you put the two side by side (iPad and N7) you will see what I mean.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Swype on a mobile makes complete and utter sense, used it on and off for years on various mobiles.

However, having tried it on my Nexus 7 and .... it got disabled almost immediately. Swype doesn't work on a larger form factor, way too much hand movement - its more designed around simple thumb movements, rather than having to move your whole hand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think there is a way of killing all the apps in one go.

I think you're right. As far as I am aware even a hard reset doesn't kill them.

(A minute later)

Just tried it and as I thought, it doesn't, which seems a bit silly to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's nothing to do with using the desktop site - I do the same with Chrome on my iPad if I want the real site, but it's to do with the fact that the keyboard obscures a good proportion of the browser window when in landscape mode. Dare I say, if you put the two side by side (iPad and N7) you will see what I mean.

.... but most of my browsing is clicking and doesnt require keyboard access :confused:

its a very small percentage of my time that is spent with the on-screen keyboard when im on the web. The occasional search box and posting on forums such as these. If i am thinking of typing lots id use my laptop or Transformer. The N7 is much more for just casual use ..... With the Transformer (again) the landscape docking for the hardware keyboard results in a much more usable 16:9 ratio as per my desktop/laptop.

I guess if you are constantly typing stuff the different ratio might come int effect but im not doing that. therefore my use of (and therefore requirements for) a tablet differ from yours. Does that now mean you will let me have a different opinion to your 'fact' ? :confused:

:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dontpannic wrote: »
    Thankyou!

Every single Android vs iOS thread is opinion, however, some people seem to think that their opinions constitute fact and it spirals from there. The be all and end all, and there is no continuation to this whatsoever, is that people have different uses and needs for devices and devices do these things in different ways. What's perfect for one user is a hinderance to another.

Yep. Some people think that because something is 'best for them' then its 'best'.

There is no 'best' anything ..... although I still believe deep down that Kylie might be the best ever wife :D:o

its purely opinion and whether something meets your own personal needs.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is this feature set that others cannot compete in?If latitude was accepted, that clearly isn't one of them.
    http://www.imore.com/google-apple-fully-reject-google-voice.
    Yep, there was also Google voice which no doubt initially had undesired features.

On the IOS 7 subject, further opening up of the OS would be good for users.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep. Some people think that because something is 'best for them' then its 'best'.

There is no 'best' anything ..... although I still believe deep down that Kylie might be the best ever wife :D:o

its purely opinion and whether something meets your own personal needs.

Oh come on, there are definitely occasions where one can define something as "better". A Nexus 7 or an iPad mini is better than a £49 chinese 7" tablet. Value for money is another matter. IN MY OPINION the Nexus 7 is better value than the iPad mini (shock, horror !!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh come on, there are definitely occasions where one can define something as "better". A Nexus 7 or an iPad mini is better than a £49 chinese 7" tablet. Value for money is another matter. IN MY OPINION the Nexus 7 is better value than the iPad mini (shock, horror !!).

but if someone wants a cheap tablet (under £100) then the chinese the better option for them.

You and I might agree (shock horror :p) that the N7 and iPad mini are better tablets than the chinese one but to the person only wanting to pay a lesser amount then they arent.

They might be technically more advanced ..... they might be quicker ..... they might be prettier, sturdier, last longer .... but 'better' is purely something that each individual bases on their own requirements.

A Ferarri might be quicker, shinier etc than my current car. But with 2 kids its sadly not better for me than my current motor.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would somewhat agree. The swiping keyboard is the only thing that makes the keyboard useable on all the android devices i own. The iphone/ios devices don't need swipe as the built in keyboard is adequate.