Options

Patronising Behaviour at Job Centre

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit confused by the OP, are you only searching for jobs once a week? If that's true then I can see why the job centre advisor would ask you to do more in regards to looking for work, because a quick internet search once a week doesn't seem like a lot. When I was unemployed I used to search for jobs pretty much every single day.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    No wonder, the dregs of society they have to deal with all day every day.

What a pleasant and constructive remark!

I sign on, used to travel 3 hrs to work each way each day, worked solidly for almost 30 years before redundancy and have, since being made redundant 6 months ago, applied for over 1000 jobs (Approx 5 per day) mostly quick applications through agencies (cv sending) but also a good number of proctracted applications, resulting in only 5 interviews where I am told that I am too qualified and experienced. Am I a dreg of society now!?!

Why are you so antagonistic?

OP, from my own experience, like all workplaces, you have your good, your bad and your indifferent, Chalk it up, don't give them the satisfaction of a retort or complaint because it really wont go anywhere. Just nod your head! Its true that people shouldn't be allowed to get away with such behaviour but you need to choose your battles and infortuntately, in this climate, they hold all the aces!

I hope you find something soon, I know only too well that in many many cases, not being able to find a job has nothing to do with lack of effort.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    husted wrote: »
    Verbal warnings get written down? Surely that's a written warning?

A verbal warning will still be noted on your records. The difference between a verbal and written warning is that a written warning will be given to you in writing.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? What time does transport start where you live? Around here the earliest public transportation starts at quarter to 7. Meaning that your job would have to start no earlier than quarter past 8 for it to be physically possible for you to get there on time.

You should move to London, public transport starts around 5 am here. I've rarely had a job where I've not had to commute for at least an hour.
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people where I live ( London suburb ) travel for at least an hour, more often and hour and a half ( that's if no delays ) to work, it's pretty standard for anyone working in central London.

I understand that there are financial incentives to do so in London but I still find the attitude that you can't possibly travel outside of your home toto get to work slightly odd if they are the only jobs available.
  • Options
    BrendanBradyFTWBrendanBradyFTW Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    What a pleasant and constructive remark!

I sign on, used to travel 3 hrs to work each way each day, worked solidly for almost 30 years before redundancy and have, since being made redundant 6 months ago, applied for over 1000 jobs (Approx 5 per day) mostly quick applications through agencies (cv sending) but also a good number of proctracted applications, resulting in only 5 interviews where I am told that I am too qualified and experienced. Am I a dreg of society now!?!

Why are you so antagonistic?

OP, from my own experience, like all workplaces, you have your good, your bad and your indifferent, Chalk it up, don't give them the satisfaction of a retort or complaint because it really wont go anywhere. Just nod your head! Its true that people shouldn't be allowed to get away with such behaviour but you need to choose your battles and infortuntately, in this climate, they hold all the aces!

I hope you find something soon, I know only too well that in many many cases, not being able to find a job has nothing to do with lack of effort.

He means dregs as in, the chavs, the loudmouths, the booze stinkers ect.
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    You should move to London, public transport starts around 5 am here. I've rarely had a job where I've not had to commute for at least an hour.

Good reason not to move to London I'd say.

And when I lived there, despite leaving their house 2 hours before work starts, people were still often late because of transport problems.

I now live in Edinburgh and walk to work.
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would probably wait til you actually get a job before putting in the complaint.

If shes saying log in daily and do a search just do it and keep them happy then when you're rid of them go down the complaints route
  • Options
    Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good reason not to move to London I'd say.

And when I lived there, despite leaving their house 2 hours before work starts, people were still often late because of transport problems.

I now live in Edinburgh and walk to work.

Yea....but it's not London. I would rather deal with transport and other issues and have the joy of living in the best city in the uk and one of the greatest in the world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    JVD wrote: »
    Oh I will.

Will log a complaint first thing in the morning.

Wouldn't your time be better served job hunting?
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea....but it's not London. I would rather deal with transport and other issues and have the joy of living in the best city in the uk and one of the greatest in the world.

But he said that he moved to Edinburgh ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    antsmithmk wrote: »
    Wouldn't your time be better served job hunting?

Possibly, but being unemployed does not mean that you are now an open target for abuse by anybody. The OP probably has a valid reason for feeling this way and 'time better spent looking for a job' should not be the reason not to complain!
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verbal warnings get written down? Surely that's a written warning?

I suppose they have to make a record that you've had a verbal warning (even if it's just logging the time and date) so that other members of staff know which 'stage' of the warning system you are on.

I know my husband's (vey strict) employers keep a written record for each employee.

The difference between a verbal warning and a written one is that his colleagues are given a copy of their warning in writing, outlining what happens if they get a third warning.

Verbal - your 'error' has been noted; no action this time but take this as a friendly warning not to do it again.
    Written - your repeated 'error' has been noted; if this continues then you will be disciplined by your manager.
    Warning 3 - you have made multiple 'errors' - you must meet with your manager and go through a formal disciplinary procedure.

I write 'error' because they are picked on for the stupidest things - often for things which aren't their fault.
    My work handbook states something similar, but our boss is easy-going and a verbal warning is more like a gentle reminder. Only once has she had to give out 3 warnings - then the employee's contract was terminated and I got his job. ;)

(I mean he deserved it. He would skive off and be seen down the pub or taking his dad shopping every single week when he was supposed to be in the office.)
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tackomacko wrote: »
    i remember signing on and it was a horrible experience, the girl was damn right horrible to me, but i think thats all part of the experience.

the last thing they want to do is make it easy for you and being unemployed is such a stressful time when you have money worries etc it can just feel like the whole world is against you, including the patronising little madam at the job centre.

Isn't it the same principle as the work houses of old? Make poverty such a miserable and dehumanising prospect so that only the truly needy or desperate will seek help from the state?
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    OP, I wonder how long you have been signing on? I was unemployed and claiming benefits for a long time. You have to look at it like a game. They play their turn and you play yours, each time you sign on.

Quite often when I went to sign on, I would be kept waiting, sometimes for ages. To begin with this just made me mad, but as time went on, instead of just getting bored, I watched what was going on between the client and the advisor. I listened and learnt. I read all the small print in my agreement too.

First of all, you must do all the job searching they tell you to. There were times when I carried out loads of job searching and other times, when I was depressed, when I just carried out the minimum. It isn't easy staying motivated, but you have to try to keep positive.

Secondly, when you see the advisor, remember that they are just doing their job. It's a difficult job to do and it's hard for them to stay motivated as well. They want your signing on to go well and you want it too. Make it easy for them. Be friendly and easygoing and mostly they will respond positively. They will look forward to seeing you. OK, you're going to get advisors that are a pain the neck, and if you do, then complain about them.

I had one guy who was giving me grief and I was trying as hard as I could to get a job. I noticed he was only doing this to guys and he was really smarmy with the ladies who were signing on. I told him I was going to complain about his attitude and he told me to go ahead. I wrote a letter and sent it to the manager and he was sacked.

If you make sure that you are doing all you can, and you always turn up in time to sign on, and you act in a businesslike way and look fairly smart, and are polite and thoughtful, then you will have a better experience in the Jobcentre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    OP, I wonder how long you have been signing on? I was unemployed and claiming benefits for a long time. You have to look at it like a game. They play their turn and you play yours, each time you sign on.

Quite often when I went to sign on, I would be kept waiting, sometimes for ages. To begin with this just made me mad, but as time went on, instead of just getting bored, I watched what was going on between the client and the advisor. I listened and learnt. I read all the small print in my agreement too.

First of all, you must do all the job searching they tell you to. There were times when I carried out loads of job searching and other times, when I was depressed, when I just carried out the minimum. It isn't easy staying motivated, but you have to try to keep positive.

Secondly, when you see the advisor, remember that they are just doing their job. It's a difficult job to do and it's hard for them to stay motivated as well. They want your signing on to go well and you want it too. Make it easy for them. Be friendly and easygoing and mostly they will respond positively. They will look forward to seeing you. OK, you're going to get advisors that are a pain the neck, and if you do, then complain about them.

I had one guy who was giving me grief and I was trying as hard as I could to get a job. I noticed he was only doing this to guys and he was really smarmy with the ladies who were signing on. I told him I was going to complain about his attitude and he told me to go ahead. I wrote a letter and sent it to the manager and he was sacked.

If you make sure that you are doing all you can, and you always turn up in time to sign on, and you act in a businesslike way and look fairly smart, and are polite and thoughtful, then you will have a better experience in the Jobcentre.

Actually, this is really solid advice!

I get there 10 mins early, always start off with a smile and a good morning/afternoon then invite advice on what I could be doing more. I have been referred to different departments, which I gladly complied with, then all departments and advisers I have seen all stated that I was doing everything I could and they could not advise me.

Like evil c does/did when I am waiting, I watch and listen!

In the last couple of months, my bum barely touches the seat before I'm called up, I;m then signed on and out in a few minutes.
  • Options
    Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help noticing that some (only some!) posters who object strongly to the way that they think Jobcentre staff perceive and treat people are quite prepared to generalise about Jobcentre staff, and demonise all of them. As someone's just said, they're trying to do their job and many of the things in the system that are wrong or don't work very well aren't their fault. I doubt if most of them are very well paid either. Surely the truth is that some are keen to help, some less so, and some may be downright unpleasant, in which case anyone on the receiving end should complain. Equally, not all people signing on are the same, and no doubt a few of them do the minimum and play the system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't help noticing that some (only some!) posters who object strongly to the way that they think Jobcentre staff perceive and treat people are quite prepared to generalise about Jobcentre staff, and demonise all of them. As someone's just said, they're trying to do their job and many of the things in the system that are wrong or don't work very well aren't their fault. I doubt if most of them are very well paid either. Surely the truth is that some are keen to help, some less so, and some may be downright unpleasant, in which case anyone on the receiving end should complain. Equally, not all people signing on are the same, and no doubt a few of them do the minimum and play the system.

Funnily enough, there is one woman at my jobcentre who has a reputation as being a right dragon, I've watched her with people and she can be really unpleasant. However, she has always been lovely with me. I smile, say hello, genuinely wish her a good day when I leave, listen to her advice, converse contructively with her and she is so helpful and really does make the process pleasant! From her age I would say she is a seasoned employee probably listened to all the BS over the years and doesn't suffer fools. I neither act like a fool or treat anyone like a fool which I believe makes a whole lot of difference.

I suppose to a degree, if you expect to be treated this way, you probably subconsciously emit a bit of detectable attitude. Just a thought!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some gems at the job centre tho, each time I've claimed jobseekers I always get this lovely woman called Barb, she remembers me as well.

She talks with such a gentle voice and she's really kind and thoughtful, an old lady she is.. late forties I would say.. but she makes me feel so much better, talked me through my jobseekers agreement and didn't pressure me.. gave me great advice on jobsearching ect.

THATS NOT OLD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    It's pretty much the norm in major european cities to commute for an hour and a half to work, what makes you so special that you shouldn't have to do it?

Because where ever you commute to, someone there is also in need of a job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember having a Job Centre interview on Comic Relief day years ago and the woman interviewing me was dressed up as a St Trinians girl. :D

Was she old and over 40.
  • Options
    Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Actually, this is really solid advice!

I get there 10 mins early, always start off with a smile and a good morning/afternoon then invite advice on what I could be doing more. I have been referred to different departments, which I gladly complied with, then all departments and advisers I have seen all stated that I was doing everything I could and they could not advise me.

Like evil c does/did when I am waiting, I watch and listen!

In the last couple of months, my bum barely touches the seat before I'm called up, I;m then signed on and out in a few minutes.

I had to sign on a bit last year when my part time work was on and off. I was really narked with one guy who told me I should be making eighty entries a week in my little booklet, which I thought was ridiculous. He was my 'advisor' after some changes had been made and I lost my old advisor. A true jobsworth! The interview I had with him lasted the full hour of the 'may take up to an hour' that they stated in the letter they sent me. He also changed my agreement with them to make me do more than was official, however he asked me if I had a problem with this in such a way that I knew I'd better just shut up and go along with it. He told me to look on the internet every day, to look at newspapers online every day, to look at council websites every day and to look at the jobcentre website every day, and to record every time I did this in the booklet.

So I did. The people that signed me didn't seem too happy to have to trawl through all this crap of course!

What I did on signing day was to check the jobcentre site and jot down any suitable jobs before I went so that when I went to sign they couldn't find any for me to apply for. The reason I did this was because if you take details of a job through them you have to apply for it and I found a couple of times that when i got home and looked into things more closely, the job wasn't suitable. And then you run the risk of sanctions!

I also broke down on my way into town one day and received a 'friendly' warning when I eventually managed to get to the jobcentre. The officer told me to leave home earlier, which narked me because I was already leaving in plenty of time and how early can you leave home in case of something happening along the way? However I said only that I would do that in future and smiled.

My advice is always to play the game. Smile, be pleasant, ask them how things are, chat about the weather. I always turned up early for my signing which the first couple of times meant I was sitting waiting for ages because they were always late, but then I found my earliness corresponded with one of the officers coming back from a teabreak and I ended up always getting her because she knew I was no trouble, so I would be in and out in less than five minutes and always before my official signing time!
  • Options
    eyponeypon Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Look everyday not like you are doing much is it?
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dawn Sun wrote: »
    I also broke down on my way into town one day and received a 'friendly' warning when I eventually managed to get to the jobcentre.[...]how early can you leave home in case of something happening along the way?

I received a warning a few months ago for missing an appointment due roadworks holding up the traffic. The adviser said I should've left earlier. I wanted to say that I don't control when the buses arrive and I wasn't psychic enough to know that there were roadworks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eypon wrote: »
    Look everyday not like you are doing much is it?

If only the world would stop while you looked for a job, eh! ;)