Options

Four in a Bed. New series!!

Comments

• Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never notice a smell of dog either. Cats yes depending on wether the person is meticulous at cleaning out their litter tray.

I think an adults only b&b would suit me and mr nutty. No kids to annoy us lol.

Cats don't smell! Litter trays, if poorly looked after, maybe, but cats themselves are scrupulously clean and don't carry any scent on their coats at all (except any plant life they may have rubbed up against!). Dogs, on the other hand, smell of dog - wet dog is awful, and permeates everything from the house to the car. It's not the dog's fault, or even the owners' faults most of the time, it's just the 'way it is', but you do cats a huge disservice. I'd rather go to a B&B full of cats with well-looked-after litter trays than a B&B with just one dog - and I know lots of good friends with more than one of each animal in their home, and even the dog owners admit it's a problem they can't stay on top of all of the time!
    I used to go when my children were young, we enjoyed it..just for the weekends. We have a beautiful little Island called Herm a 20 minute boat ride away which is just fab for a camping holiday!

Hello *waves*. We went to Herm when our eldest was 6 months old (she's 18 now:o) and carried her round in a sling all day! Perfect! I don't really 'do' camping, though - my hair (being devilishly hard to deal with unless washed and dried in the morning) demands somewhere in which I can plug a hairdryer as a matter of course... but this 'glamping' lark does appear to have a bit more to it than a plain, old tent!
    I'm slowly going off the two Scottish men

I've read the responses on TA too - Jason (speaking as an English teacher) if that's his name, really needs some lessons in how to write coherent, courteous sentences...
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I would rather have gone there. Love the place :)

My brother used to live in Blackpool so we've been the Pleasure Beach many times! My daughters love it (actually, watching 4iaB this evening were asking if we can go back this year, even though brother now lives in Warrington!) and are real rollercoaster freaks (we all are!) and aren't afraid in the slightest! The only complaint my youngest used to have was that she wasn't tall enough for The Big One the last time we went! They could have filmed a great day out in Blackpool - yes, it's a bit 'Marbella on the Irish Sea', and stuck in the past in some ways, but there's lots more to see and do other than making records!

As a matter of interest, does Blackpool hold the record for most establishments featured on 4iaB?! :confused:
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I thought tonight's place was nice, much better than I was expecting from a Blackpool side street b&b.

Breakfast in the rooms would suit me, and at least there were tables to sit at rather than having to perch on the bed.

I can't believe there was a complaint about noisy seagulls! It's the seaside, they might as well have complained about the noise from the sea.
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Wonder if they were ill from eating out the night before.
    I wondered that. Did seem funny that 3 of them were ill - I was relieved that the owners had got a friend in to cook breakfast!
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and a friend went to Ilfracombe once for a wedding.....the sound of seagulls was really loud but I would never mark down a hotel for that...its just something that you except when you're staying by the sea!
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,651
    Forum Member
    Goodness, diplomacy, courtesy and tact are not Jason's middle names!

.............or a grasp of spelling, grammar and sentence syntax. At times, I wondered if English was his first language! The tone of the responses were also at odds with each other, sometimes desperately trying to be polite and at other times downright rude!
    Mind you, the worst revues were back in 2009 and the best were as recent as this last weekend.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,651
    Forum Member
    The beds have loads of cushions on them.

I like to see a 'well dressed' bed, but not impressed with their choice of style or colour. Those particular cushions were the opposite of 'stylish'. Didn't like the Blackpool place at all from what I saw. The surrounding area looked bleak and uncared for.
    Wouldn't have minded breakfast in the room, but would have wanted the food covered for it's trip up the stairs, and scrambled egg would have been pretty solid by the time it arrived.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband was surprised my mum and dad had a dog as he couldn't smell a thing. I think when people say there is a smell of dog it's because they haven't been cleaning them etc. My parents dog is regularly bathed etc.

MIL house though was reeking of cat, but more cat piss maybe?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnoali wrote: »
    Chick is so rude! Being quiet isn't a crime ffs & he deliberately made ceri feel uncomfortable.

I agree with you, I thought it was totally unnecessary to behave like that.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MIL house though was reeking of cat, but more cat piss maybe?

An unneutered tom will spray particularly pungent urine around his 'territory' which will be basically anywhere he can get access to :(

I can usually smell dog but some places are much worse than others - I expect more down to the owners' hygine than the mutt;)
    I suppose the blackpool pair could market themselves as dog friendly and accept dogs as part of the booking - that could be a profitable little niche for them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a female cat they have.

My parents have laminate flooring, tiled kitchen. She's (the dog) not really allowed in carpeted areas, maybe that's why no smell?
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,708
    Forum Member
    I actually used to work in Knock Castle Hotel. Couldn't believe it when it came on yesterday!

Jason is a very arrogant man. Seeing him speak to the waiter like that was no surprise to me.

I know the show made it look like it was such a great place but that was quite misleading. They are struggling financially and I know for a fact Jason is working 16 hour days just to survive. The family actually have absolutely no prior experience in hotels. Jason's dad has taken a massive gamble. There's a lot of pressure on Jason to make it work.

I missed tonight's episode, but going through the thread, Hi
    Parker, that's interesting.

I think there are a fair few places featured on 4iaB that are feeling the financial and workload pressures.
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched last night's episode quite late. I thought the Blackpool ladies are really trying with their B&B, but personally I wouldn't want to have my breakfast in the room in a B&B. In a large hotel I like the option of room service or the restaurant for brekkie, but in a B&B it has to be in the dining room, doesn't it?

I have been a little bit underwhelmed with the two programmes so far this week. Not because of the places, but because it hasn't had much excitement. Maybe the Scottish bloke will get nastier as the week goes on, and liven things up a bit.

As to the Trip Advisor responses for Knock Castle. How very, very rude! Jason, don't try to take the high ground when you can't even spell, and basic grammar is beyond you.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is one of the 8 a Tranny?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Is one of the 8 a Tranny?

Which one do you mean?
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a good advertisement for the restaurant they went to, considering 3 came down ill, and it's the obvious culprit.

I would have been disappointed by not having a breakfast room, but breakfast in bed could be fun too given the circumstances.

It's a shame that the girls think the bad review is from Ben and Kerry, as it might affect their behaviour and scores. I'd also like to have gone to the pleasure beach, singing would have been my worst nightmare, not to mention the other guests once I opened my mouth :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinkvelvet wrote: »
    It's a shame that the girls think the bad review is from Ben and Kerry, as it might affect their behaviour and scores.

I thought I had misheard, but obviously I didn't. What a shame. As you say, it could affect their judgement of Ben & Kerry's place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening

I just panicked a bit there.....I couldnt find the thread :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening

:eek: Shocking!
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening

Evening...I was waiting for someone else to bump the thread!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight's hotel doesnt look too bad actually!
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,708
    Forum Member
    Evening, I thought I'd subscribed but it seems not,, ?so I had to hunt too.

How flipping annoying is the constant name checking of the venue in the greeting
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A boring tour :yawn:
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight's hotel doesnt look too bad actually!

I think so, what what the Scottish guy rattling on about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think so, what what the Scottish guy rattling on about?

Not sure. I was brushing the cat :o
  • Options
    hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello,

Only just caught up with the new series, not feeling any love for the B+B owners. The host today seems like a right goon.

Any potential for fisticuffs this week?
This discussion has been closed.