Options

British Gas Homecare

curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
Forum Member
✭✭
Can anyone let me know if the Homecare service is any good? I had a look at it online but there,s 14 pages of terms and conditions :confused: basically I want to know if its worth joining or am I better of getting it serviced or if repairs are needed by my plumber

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely worth it.
    We've had it for years and in our old place (was a new apartment) the boiler had a mind of its own it was worth its weight in gold.
    So don't assume that its not necessary or relevant just because you have a new boiler either, as some boilers are just temperamental.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This comes up on here every now and again. You'll probably get a range of opinions from 'rubbish' to 'brilliant.'

I've had a homecare contract for nearly 20 years and have certainly found it very good. The great thing is, if something goes wrong, it's their problem, not yours. There's also no callout charges regardless the day of the week.
  • Options
    SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a good local plumbing/heating engineer.
    Go by word of mouth, ask your friends and neighbours or work colleagues for recommendations

A good honest local tradesman is worth ten of what a national company can offer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go by word of mouth, ask your friends and neighbours or work colleagues for recommendations

A good honest local tradesman is worth ten of what a national company can offer.

I agree to a point. However, you have to pay the local tradesmen every time you call them out. With BG its covered, as is the cost of any repair and so on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I,ve got a great plumber he,s done a lot of work for me and has saved me a fortune but my problem is he,s installing a boiler and I know he doesnt know much about this make
  • Options
    Colin HuntColin Hunt Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    How much is it?
    Doesn't that Money Saving Expert blokey often say it's worth putting the same amount of money away into a savings account - as a kind of self-insurance?

Then, if the unthinkable happens, you've got enough spare to call out said local trustworthy and honest plumber?!
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a contract with British Gas, it costs me just under £14.00 per month, this includes no labour or parts charges. I have used them a fair few times, christmas eve was the last time.

For me its piece of mind, I live on my own and am clueless when its comes to boilers. Oh and my boiler is over 20 years old :eek:

A few people (mostly men) have asked why I have it, its a waste of money blah blah blah, I asked if they would mind me ringing them at 3am if something goes wrong, would they come out stright away - that usually shuts them up :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    on the website there was diff packages the one that included the service was from £9 per month .... but the from could mean anything
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    Can anyone let me know if the Homecare service is any good? I had a look at it online but there,s 14 pages of terms and conditions :confused: basically I want to know if its worth joining or am I better of getting it serviced or if repairs are needed by my plumber

Very Good we pay £52 a month top care scheme covers everything :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great if you have an old boiler that needs help (and especially if it's going to need replacing), just phone to take out the cover and call back before they've inspected the boiler and say it's developed a fault. :p

Other than that I would never willingly give money to Centrica or any of its subsidiaries; British Gas is just a trading name that they licensed from Transco, they have a reputation for treating their customer service staff in an appalling manner (I like free-range eggs) and manage to push prices up despite year-on-year record profitability.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does give you peace of mind but if your central heating systems is in good order and all that happens is they come out to give it an annual check then it is expensive. Also if your boiler is pretty old and parts are no longer available for it then repair cover is in practice useless. The T&C are long winded but do read them as there are caveats and exclusions.

The other big energy companies provide similar services so they are worth comparing to BG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a new boiler but the tank and pipes in the loft are old, im just no very lucky with boilers and fed up looking for parts etc so thought the BG care might be good
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CM wrote: »

Nice to see you back CM. I noticed the other day that you said you were leaving and never coming back, so welcome back.:)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For £52 a month I'd expect a plumber to come around every day to make me a cup of tea and do the washing up!
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    PokeyOaks wrote: »
    Great if you have an old boiler that needs help (and especially if it's going to need replacing), just phone to take out the cover and call back before they've inspected the boiler and say it's developed a fault. :p

Other than that I would never willingly give money to Centrica or any of its subsidiaries; British Gas is just a trading name that they licensed from Transco, they have a reputation for treating their customer service staff in an appalling manner (I like free-range eggs) and manage to push prices up despite year-on-year record profitability.

Where on earth did you pick up that bit of misinformation from?

British Gas is a trade mark that Centrica owns and can use in the UK. BGI can use the British Gas trademark overseas. One of the more bizarre decisions made on demerger.

However, if Centrica becomes foreign owned, they lose the right to use the trademark (one of the barriers to it being taken over).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    For £52 a month I'd expect a plumber to come around every day to make me a cup of tea and do the washing up!

:D:D and bring his own biccies
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have had our contract with them since 1989 in that time we have more than had our money back with replacement parts, call out charges and a service every year. For us it's well worth the money.

Our boiler will soon need replacing I wouldn't use them for that though as the charges are way higher than a properly qualified installer. We would however then take out a new contract with them as it has been so good over the past years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Well I suppose many would think that but this covers everything including water electrics we have full cover on all with HomeCare.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »
    Nice to see you back CM. I noticed the other day that you said you were leaving and never coming back, so welcome back.:)

Why would you welcome me back you don't even know me ? :confused:
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Colin Hunt wrote: »
    How much is it?
    Doesn't that Money Saving Expert blokey often say it's worth putting the same amount of money away into a savings account - as a kind of self-insurance?

Then, if the unthinkable happens, you've got enough spare to call out said local trustworthy and honest plumber?!

Yes, I would go with this line of thinking. After all, like any sort of insurance, they're making a profit because the likely cost of your repairs will be less than the premiums you're paying - unless you're more than averagely unlucky you're not going to be saving any money. Also you're obliged to wait until BG can come out to see you, which in a cold snap might be an unacceptably long time - you might prefer to be able to phone round plumbers and see who's available.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Yes, I would go with this line of thinking. After all, like any sort of insurance, they're making a profit because the likely cost of your repairs will be less than the premiums you're paying - unless you're more than averagely unlucky you're not going to be saving any money. Also you're obliged to wait until BG can come out to see you, which in a cold snap might be an unacceptably long time - you might prefer to be able to phone round plumbers and see who's available.

BG and British Gas are entirely different companies!!!
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely worth it.
    We've had it for years and in our old place (was a new apartment) the boiler had a mind of its own it was worth its weight in gold.
    So don't assume that its not necessary or relevant just because you have a new boiler either, as some boilers are just temperamental.

I agree, just had the service engineer round this morning, in fact. You can make an appointment on-line or even on your iPhone, they give you a 2-hour time slot and keep you updated on progress, and the guy calls you when he's on his way. I don't want to mess around with gas appliances, and British Gas is big enough to sue if anything goes wrong!
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I suppose many would think that but this covers everything including water electrics we have full cover on all with HomeCare.:)

I have the full cover as well and it certainly doesn't cost that much I am afraid.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling they quote on what system you have and how old it is. Which would turn up slightly different prices so you may both be right for your own systems.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I have a feeling they quote on what system you have and how old it is. Which would turn up slightly different prices so you may both be right for your own systems.

Not so at all. Go look at their website. The cost is only dependent on the level of cover required. Whether or not they chose to cover a system is dependent on a survey visit, they may not cover a very old system especially if parts are no longer available.