Options

Cheap iPhone with bigger screen for developing countires

Comments

• Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Maybe they should, as Samsung are obviously doing something right that Apple isn't. That's why the Galaxy S3 is the best selling smartphone in the world. :)

Can you provide a link to that fact, as the last time I checked, it wasn't.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »

Enjoy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is a single quarter, not total sales. It even says so in the headlne:rolleyes:
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What was it when you last checked then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a single quarter, not total sales. It even says so in the headlne:rolleyes:

Lol, so it sold more in the quarter of the iPhone5 launch? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Having read the article, you clearly haven't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, so it sold more in the quarter of the iPhone5 launch? :D

Yes, the iPhone was released at the end of that quarter.
    Having read the article, you clearly haven't.

Really, which bit haven't I read. I've seen the same article several times in many publications.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only because Apple's top model sales were split between 2 models in Q3 due to the iPhone 5 launch.

From the article you linked to:

We expect the new iPhone 5 to out-ship Samsung’s Galaxy S3 in the coming fourth quarter of 2012 and Apple should soon reclaim the title of the world’s most popular smartphone model.

Q4 analysis should be available soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Only because Apple's top model sales were split between 2 models in Q3 due to the iPhone 5 launch.

We expect the new iPhone 5 to out-ship Samsung’s Galaxy S3 in the coming fourth quarter of 2012 and Apple should soon reclaim the title of the world’s most popular smartphone model.

Figures from Strategy Analytics (the source of the figures)

S3 sales, Q2 - 5.4m, Q3 - 18m total - 23.4m
    iPhone 4s, Q2 - 19.4m, Q3 - 16.2m, total - 35.6m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »

Q4 analysis should be available soon.

Samsung arguably has way more competition seeing as though they have to compete with the flagships from other Android OEMs, so that argument doesn't really hold up. The Galaxy range is now massively popular, and I expect that Apple will struggle to maintain a quarterly lead next year when the S4 is launched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Figures from Strategy Analytics (the source of the figures)

So the S3 has a bigger share than the 4S?

That backs up what Zack said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung arguably has way more competition seeing as though they have to compete with the flagships from other Android OEMs, so that argument doesn't really hold up. The Galaxy range is now massively popular, and I expect that Apple will struggle to maintain a quarterly lead next year when the S4 is launched.

Based on your previous statements, I don't think I'll be relying on your analysis of the market:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on your previous statements, I don't think I'll be relying on your analysis of the market:)

The figures speak for themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the S3 has a bigger share than the 4S?

That backs up what Zack said.

He said it was the worlds most popular smartphone. If selling 12m less phones makes it the most popular, then the logic being applied here is beyond me.

Can you tell me the bit of the article I haven't read that you felt was so important?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S3 has sold 18m total.
    iPhone 4S has sold 16.2m total.

So the S3 has sold the most number of units in the world right?

What are you on about kidspud?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    Why ? Loads of manufactures do it all the time. Look at car prices for the same model across the global for example. Even microsoft have different versions of windows available for developing countries. Its crippled but much cheaper in china and india.
    tdenson wrote: »
    For the same reason you can buy a big bulky laptop at half the price of a small more powerful one.

By emerging markets we're really taking about China, that's why the big screen. Possibly Indian too.

They already have access to quality products with high function, big screens, decent cameras, GPS for not that much more than $100, they don't live in the past. if apple make their product significantly worse or more expensive it won't sell....

... if they make something that will sell even the apple fanbois will be left asking why they have to pay so much more.

You have to sell a hell of a lot of low margin product to make up for the loss of some high margin product. If you can find me one industry professional who doesn't think that this will cut apple's margins in the developed world I'll eat my face.

The sad thing is apple used to innovate. Now they can't even sell their product in developing markets without first improving it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He said it was the worlds most popular smartphone. If selling 12m less phones makes it the best selling, then the logic being applied is beyond me.

Can you tell me the bit of the article I haven't read that you felt was so important?

Where have you got your totals from? I dont see them in the source material at all.

I mean the bits in bold :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S3 has sold 18m total.
    iPhone 4S has sold 16.2m total.

So the S3 has sold the most number of units in the world right?

What are you on about kidspud?

No.:confused: Why have you only quoted one quarter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He said it was the worlds most popular smartphone. If selling 12m less phones makes it the best selling, then the logic being applied is beyond me.

Which is correct. Had I said 'of all time' or 'ever' then you may be valid. The Galaxy S3 had the biggest worldwide shipments of any shipping mobile device in Q3 this year. That currently makes it the world's most popular smartphone. There is nothing to dispute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is correct. Had I said 'of all time' or 'ever' then you may be valid. The Galaxy S3 had the biggest worldwide shipments of any shipping mobile device in Q3 this year. That currently makes it the world's most popular smartphone. There is nothing to dispute.

Oh dear, I'll leave this for others to read. To be clear, did you want it to be a specific quarter, or would you like to narrow it down to a specific week (or day).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where have you got your totals from? I dont see them in the source material at all.

I mean the bits in bold :confused:

The source material is from Strategy Analytics, they carry out the same analysis every quarter. I'm sure if you google you will find it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, I'll leave this for others to read. To be clear, did you want it to be a specific quarter, or would you like to narrow it down to a specific week (or day).

To be honest, i did misread the heading and the article because its terribly written. But ironically what Zack did say is exactly what the article says, which shows how misleading the entire article was!

Journalists should be banned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Comparisons with the sales figures of the s3 are questionable anyway. Samsung do make a lot of different phones. If they only made the one it would sell more.

There is no doubting the iPhone is popular, especially in the US, it's just not very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Comparisons with the sales figures of the s3 are questionable anyway. Samsung do make a lot of different phones. If they only made the one it would sell more.

You might want to tell samsung they've got their product strategy wrong.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You might want to tell samsung they've got their product strategy wrong.;)

You're pretending to misunderstand me right?

You understand what I'm saying perfectly surely. That if they only sold the s3 they would sell more s3's because some of the s3 sales are lost to their other products. A different situation to apple.

What possible reason could you have for pretending to not understand something so simple?