Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Just watched Fox's Stars in Danger, was much better than Splash. They had 5 dives in less than 30minutes compared to 75minutes it took for the Uk version so the pace was much better. Altogether the US version had three times more dives in one episode. The dives were more complicated and really good, there was a better scoring system, no boring walk from the poolside all the way up which wasted too much time on the uk version, synchronised dives, backflip dives, fun commentary, no sob stories, fewer VTs. Itv really messed up what couldve been a better format.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to quantify how big an effect the Olympics and Jubilee had on the numbers - ie what the BBC1 figure would be excluding those 17+4=21 days. I'm sure Cohen is right but whether the overall BBC1 number for the remaining 345 days would actually be up I don't know.

mlt,

21 days of 30% shares adds roughly 0.5% to the annual share %

(((30x 21) +(22x 344))/365)
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Brown's Boys: 2.8m (February 2011)
    To..
    1. Mrs Brown’s Boys (Christmas Eve 2012): 15.3m

Phenomenal!!! :eek:

Ratings story of the decade!
    Amazing really, and a show that's kept up momentum by not taking forever to get new series on to screen.

Have the Daily Mail though looked at Monday's ratings yet and written a piece about how it's lost half it's audience in two weeks? :rolleyes:
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Channel4 are heavily trailing their new drama Utopia. They have had short stings for about a month as well as four or five different sets of trailers being shown continuously for the last two weeks. As well as that, theres billboards for it around town. This is a lot of marketing expense, ratings will have to be good from the start to make up for it.
    It's a strange one though - the promos make it look like some kind of conspiracy thriller which will struggle to break the million mark and probably be worthy but dull, yet the interviews I've read with the cast suggest that although complex it's actually quite funny.

Personally though I don't see this being the break out comedy drama hit that C4 so desperately need at the moment.

P.S. C4 have finally reached an agreement with WPP over advertising:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/10/channel-4-wpp-settle-advertising-dispute
    Just watched Fox's Stars in Danger, was much better than Splash. They had 5 dives in less than 30minutes compared to 75minutes it took for the Uk version so the pace was much better. Altogether the US version had three times more dives in one episode. The dives were more complicated and really good, there was a better scoring system, no boring walk from the poolside all the way up which wasted too much time on the uk version, synchronised dives, backflip dives, fun commentary, no sob stories, fewer VTs. Itv really messed up what couldve been a better format.
    Cheeky using the NBC Olympic anthem to open - but it sounds like FOX got the point and felt that people watching a celebrity diving show would like to watch people who could possibly look half decent doing it, not ageing celebs who just roll forward and then basically seem to get marks for not missing the pool.
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel4 are heavily trailing their new drama Utopia. They have had short stings for about a month as well as four or five different sets of trailers being shown continuously for the last two weeks. As well as that, theres billboards for it around town. This is a lot of marketing expense, ratings will have to be good from the start to make up for it.

It does look ok. But the prospect of a 90mins drama starting at 10pm on a Tuesday is another piece of bad scheduling. If they had a lot more confidence in it, I don't know why they wouldn't put it on at 9pm on Wednesday/Thursday. I think because of the scheduling it will score under 1.5m
    Just watched Fox's Stars in Danger, was much better than Splash. They had 5 dives in less than 30minutes compared to 75minutes it took for the Uk version so the pace was much better. Altogether the US version had three times more dives in one episode. The dives were more complicated and really good, there was a better scoring system, no boring walk from the poolside all the way up which wasted too much time on the uk version, synchronised dives, fun commentary, no sob stories, less VTs. Itv really messed up what couldve been a better format.

'Stars In Danger' is a totally different format to Splash!. I've always said that the German format (Stars In Danger) is miles better than the Dutch format (Sterren Springen or Splash!). It didn't do too well on Fox last night though, but it will be interesting to see what 'Celebrity Splash' gets when it debuts on ABC later in the year.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    mlt,

Yes, thanks.

The two weeks which were Olympics every day had shares of 33.6% and 36.5%.

Share for first 3 days of Olympics unknown but likely to be at least 33.6% I would have thought given it contains Opening Ceremony.

Not sure about Jubilee but even so, given the above the 21 days as a whole must be well over 30% - probably at least 33% which coincidentally would add approx 0.6% - ie the EXACT BBC1 growth for the year.

ie BBC1 would be very close indeed to flat without those 21 days - ie still a very, very good result given long term trends.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Gameshow ratings for yesterday (figures including +1 in brackets):

The Chase: 3.71m (3.97m)
    Pointless: 3.45m
    Tipping Point: 1.65m (1.71m)
    Perfection: 1.10m
    Deal or No Deal: 1.07m (1.18m)
    Countdown: 344k (431k)
    Face The Clock: 333k (370k)

After being dented a bit by the focus on the new BBC1 daytime line up, The Chase noses out in front again, and certainly hasn't lost any viewers to the BBC.

To be fair, Pointless remains pretty solid for BBC1.

After a low start, the 2nd series of Tipping Point is climbing and is just slightly behind on the 1st series (and at an earlier time).

Deal Or No Deal is now a shadow of its former self, and as for Countdown - disaster! Moved further away from late afternoon/teatime, 30 years on that's an embarrasing figure. Message to C4 - either relaunch later in the day, or give it up!
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, thanks.

Share for first 3 days of Olympics unknown but likely to be at least 33.6% I would have thought given it contains Opening Ceremony.

Not sure about Jubilee but even so, given the above the 21 days as a whole must be well over 30% - probably at least 33% which coincidentally would add approx 0.6% - ie the EXACT BBC1 growth for the year.

ie BBC1 would be very close indeed to flat without those 21 days - ie still a very, very good result given long term trends.

But how do we know BBC1 wouldn't have rated above it's average on those 21 days had it aired a normal schedule anyway?

Pure hypotheticals and supposition. Why not just accept the figures for what they are instead of trying to do BBC1 down?

In any event, the better BBC1 did in 2012, the bigger the fall in 2013 will inevitably be. And I doubt in 12 months time, we will be calculating how much better BBC1 would have done with the Olympics and explaining the inevitable surge in ITV's share by reference to the lack of competition in 2013.

Well, I probably will.... ;)
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Yep, 1,100 (0.01%) to be precise. It's available on Sky and Virgin, so I don't know why Challenge +1 doesn't seem to add much (no more than 14,900 consolidated for any programme on 2 January, for instance).

Are there other Freeview channels where the +1s are only on pay?
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the BBC One lineup is having an effect on Channel 4's daytime lineup? Countdown I think needs to relaunch either with Jeff Stelling back or someone who isn't Nick Hewer or they should axe it. TBH I think the Channel 4 daytime lineup does look stale with classic films, game shows and cooking/factual. It is surprising that Channel 4 don't do something like Great British Railway Journeys or Ade in Britain, it might be a good idea to show something like that at 5pm as an alternative to Pointless and The Chase.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I wonder if the BBC One lineup is having an effect on Channel 4's daytime lineup? Countdown I think needs to relaunch either with Jeff Stelling back or someone who isn't Nick Hewer or they should axe it. TBH I think the Channel 4 daytime lineup does look stale with classic films, game shows and cooking/factual. It is surprising that Channel 4 don't do something like Great British Railway Journeys or Ade in Britain, it might be a good idea to show something like that at 5pm as an alternative to Pointless and The Chase.

Jeff Stelling isn't coming back for Countdown he's doing more football at Sky now that Richard Keys and Andy Gray left. Nick Hewer just doesn't suit it. Channel 4 daytime is now facing a two pronged attack from BBC1 and ITV, which is odd considering many of BBC1's show were on BBC2. Have the shows that moved to BBC1 been doing better just because they moved there?
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As mentioned already its not technically the same format as Splash. For starters it was just a one-off special and the numbers it got for Fox suggest that won't be changing and should probably give ABC some pause for concern. I suppose in some respects this at least puts to bed the notion that you can't have development across a series. There were a lot of ideas packed into the show particularly when compared to Splash that suggest that actually the same group of celebrities competing over multiple weeks might work.
    Brekkie wrote: »
    It's a strange one though - the promos make it look like some kind of conspiracy thriller which will struggle to break the million mark and probably be worthy but dull, yet the interviews I've read with the cast suggest that although complex it's actually quite funny...
    Yeah the trailers don't appear to be doing a particularly good job of representing what the show actually is.
    jda135 wrote: »
    It does look ok. But the prospect of a 90mins drama starting at 10pm on a Tuesday is another piece of bad scheduling. If they had a lot more confidence in it, I don't know why they wouldn't put it on at 9pm on Wednesday/Thursday. I think because of the scheduling it will score under 1.5m
    They're seriously scheduling it for 10PM on a Tuesday?

Given the surprise ratings growth for Death in Paradise this week I might suggest that Channel 4 rethink that decision and switch it to 9PM Tuesday. There seems to be an audience crying out for drama on Tuesday night right now and ITV certainly aren't going to make a play for that audience. Not with anything original anyway. In fact 9PM anywhere on the Channel 4 schedule would work. Its not like those 9PM slots are packed with great content at the moment.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Channel 4's daytime line-up, much like its prime time line-up, is a bit of a mess right now. That their daytime line-up is becoming eerily similar to their prime time line-up certainly doesn't help either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Channel 4's daytime line-up, much like its prime time line-up, is a bit of a mess right now. That their daytime line-up is becoming eerily similar to their prime time line-up certainly doesn't help either.

Daytime is losing ground, especially after BBC1 waded into the serious daytime market. Countdown & Face the Clock are bombing and Deal or No Deal is losing viewers and share points.
    They're seriously scheduling it for 10PM on a Tuesday?

Given the surprise ratings growth for Death in Paradise this week I might suggest that Channel 4 rethink that decision and switch it to 9PM Tuesday. There seems to be an audience crying out for drama on Tuesday night right now and ITV certainly aren't going to make a play for that audience. Not with anything original anyway. In fact 9PM anywhere on the Channel 4 schedule would work. Its not like those 9PM slots are packed with great content at the moment.

The first episode is 90mins, and thereafter it's 70mins. Additionally, 9pm is home to a couple of big hitters for C4, One Born Every Minute on Wednesdays and The Undateables on Tuesday.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,697
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    It got 2.27m incl +1 last night It is currently around 150-200k higher than CBB10 and around the same as CBB9 as both series have achieved a 2.4m average in the first 7 days.
    It's been ticking along very nicely despite it being quite an uneventful series. But it had got to a point I think where they needed to deliver a strong episode sooner rather than later to prove this series is worth sticking with and I think we managed that tonight, hopefully not too late. They are relying heavily on Heidi and Spencer though, who were simply hilarious tonight in their boozed up state. Too many of the other signings have really not delivered and are amongst the worst in the show's history. They'll be disappointed that having got it so right the past couple of times they haven't even got close to as good a cast this time around, but they can't get it right every time and maybe just maybe this 'bedsit revisited' business will save the day. Essential that H&S stay in for as long as possible now though. Not sure the remaining housemates are interesting enough to keep the show watchable if they leave.
  • Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    It's been ticking along very nicely despite it being quite an uneventful series. But it had got to a point where they needed to deliver a strong episode sooner rather than later to prove this series is worth sticking with and I think we managed that tonight, hopefully not too late. They are relying heavily on Heidi and Spencer though, who were simply hilarious tonight in their boozed up state. Too many of the other signings have really not delivered and are amongst the worst in the show's history. They'll be disappointed that having got it so right the past couple of times they haven't even got close to as good a cast this time around, but they can't get it right every time and maybe just maybe this 'bedsit revisited' business will save the day. Essential that H&S stay in for as long as possible now though. Not sure enough of the remaining housemates are interesting enough to keep the show watchable if they leave.

I think they will eventually develop a following similar to the twins last year and will be around for a while, they're a similar kind of double act.

One of the main issues with this series isn't actually the show itself. Its Channel 5 airing 2 celebrity series per year. Rather than a year of being able to plan the line up and get the right balance of names, they now have 8 months and 4 months, and have fallen into the trap where anyone who was once remotely in the public eye will do. It delivers them a short term ratings fix but they aren't protecting the programme in the long term, and eventually they'll begin to run out of people to participate particularly with I'm a Celeb, SCD and DOI still going. The shows combined now use in excess of 60 people per year and are already recycling contestants between them. Channel 5 ought to bite the bullet and ditch the summer celebrity series, putting the focus back into the January one and putting a little bit more emphasis on the regular version. I haven't watched the regular one in a while, but it just appears to be the warm up to CBB at the minute.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    LW09 wrote: »
    I think they will eventually develop a following similar to the twins last year and will be around for a while, they're a similar kind of double act.

One of the main issues with this series isn't actually the show itself. Its Channel 5 airing 2 celebrity series per year. Rather than a year of being able to plan the line up and get the right balance of names, they now have 8 months and 4 months, and have fallen into the trap where anyone who was once remotely in the public eye will do. It delivers them a short term ratings fix but they aren't protecting the programme in the long term, and eventually they'll begin to run out of people to participate particularly with I'm a Celeb, SCD and DOI still going. The shows combined now use in excess of 60 people per year and are already recycling contestants between them. Channel 5 ought to bite the bullet and ditch the summer celebrity series, putting the focus back into the January one and putting a little bit more emphasis on the regular version. I haven't watched the regular one in a while, but it just appears to be the warm up to CBB at the minute.

I can understand why C5 would would two series a year but I agree it will end up burning itself out at this rate if they carry on.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,697
    Forum Member
    LW09 wrote: »

I appreciate what you're saying, I really do. And in an ideal world I'd agree with you. But in an ideal world they'd have more shows bringing in 2m a night and fantastic demos that could step in and fill the gap. They don't have that. And a big part of the reason why C5's audience share rose last year whilst ITV and C4's went down was because of that second series, not to mention what it did for ad revenue. So I can't see them ditching it. I'd prefer it if they ditched Big Brother and moved the summer edition of CBB to June.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    It would be interesting to quantify how big an effect the Olympics and Jubilee had on the numbers - ie what the BBC1 figure would be excluding those 17+4=21 days. I'm sure Cohen is right but whether the overall BBC1 number for the remaining 345 days would actually be up I don't know.
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    mlt,
    Yes, thanks.

Just to add to the analysis:

> 17 days of the Olympics averaged 35.2% share on BBC One, compared with 20.2% over the equivalent period in 2011.
    > 4 days of the Jubilee averaged 30.0%, as against 18.6% on those days in 2011.
    > BBC One's share in 2012 during 'normal' periods away from these events was 20.5%, slightly down on 2011's 20.7%.

So the Jubilympic effect more than accounts for the rise in annual share - without those two events, if BBC One had performed in line with the rest of the year, the channel would have been not up, but down, in annual share.

We can check this by calculating the 'excess' performance caused by each event:

> Olympics: (35.2% - 20.2%) = +15.0% excess share on average each day, contributing approximately +0.70 of a percentage point to overall annual share, relative to 2011.

> Jubilee: (30.0% - 18.6%) = +11.4% excess share on average each day, contributing approximately +0.12 of a percentage point to overall annual share, relative to 2011.

> Total effect = +0.82 of a percentage point (approx) added to overall annual share. This counteracted the -0.23 percentage points contributed to overall annual share by the non-Olympic, non-Jubilee days of the year, to make an actual increase in share of around +0.6 of a percentage point, which is exactly what happened (from 20.7% to 21.3%).

Of course Robbie is correct in that we do not know the counterfactual: i.e. what the performance of BBC One would have been from 2-5 June and 27 July - 12 August 2012, if the big events hadn't taken place. But what we can say is that they contributed +0.8 of a percentage point of share growth on 2012 against 2011.

This analysis excludes the other big non-annual event in 2012: the European football championships. Running from 8 June to 1 July, they were of course shared between the BBC and ITV, but they were enough to boost BBC One's share by just over 0.8 percentage points during the tournament, compared with the same period in 2011 (22.8% vs 21.9%). This much smaller boost, even when multiplied over the 24 days of Euro 2012, contributed just +0.06% of a percentage point to additional annual share.

EDIT: For anyone who's interested, ITV1's all-day share was up about a percentage point during Euro 2012, compared with a year earlier (from 14.5% to 15.5%, including HD and +1).
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Jeff Stelling isn't coming back for Countdown he's doing more football at Sky now that Richard Keys and Andy Gray left. Nick Hewer just doesn't suit it. Channel 4 daytime is now facing a two pronged attack from BBC1 and ITV, which is odd considering many of BBC1's show were on BBC2. Have the shows that moved to BBC1 been doing better just because they moved there?

I thought Jeff was the best presenter they had after the two Des's didn't make much of an impact and coupled with Rachel and a new set was the refresh it needed, Nick Hewer just isn't presenter material but I struggle to think who would be a good replacement. I also think moving it from its original 3pm slot has hurt it too.

Aside from feature length one-offs and US imports like Homeland, Channel 4 don't tend to put drama at 9pm which is a shame as I think with the right show would pull in a decent audience, Line of Duty on BBC Two proved this. With Shameless ending, the cupboard looking a bit bare. While I was a fan of shows like Teachers and No Angels, I think Channel 4 could try and breakaway from that convention and do a procedural drama but with a twist either dark or comedic.
    I appreciate what you're saying, I really do. And in an ideal world I'd agree with you. But in an ideal world they'd have more shows bringing in 2m a night and fantastic demos that could step in and fill the gap. They don't have that. And a big part of the reason why C5's audience share rose last year whilst ITV and C4's went down was because of that second series, not to mention what it did for ad revenue. So I can't see them ditching it. I'd prefer it if they ditched Big Brother and moved the summer edition of CBB to June.

I imagine they'll ditch regular Big Brother after the current contract if ratings decline further. Ideally CBB should be once a year but that's not going to happen.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,769
    Forum Member
    Cracking analysis Neil.

Just to add to what Robbie said earlier and you mentioned, if the Olympics, Jubilee and Euros didn't happen last year then it's very likely that a few big hitters would have been moved forward and the likes of Africa, Ripper Street, Death In Paradise would have been shown last year instead which would have lessened the declines slightly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Channel 5 did have many shows that rated over 2m AND brought in the key demos (CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, The Mentalist, House). But as soon as Desmond took over, he buried them and people lost interest. Shows like The Walking Dead and Body of Proof are buried underneath Eddie Stobart, Celeb Wedding Planner and The Bachelor. Just like C4, Channel 5 have some great things, but the scheduling is dreadful.

Without Big Brother, C5 may as well be thrown to the dogs. There are lots of things that rate under 2m (and even more under 1m), and it's no wonder with all the crap they show. Jeff Ford left for a reason. He saw no hope, and jumped before it sank!!
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Why exactly are we going to the effort of removing the effort of the jubilee and Olympics, do we do the same with the Euros' and World Cup & Rugby, no. A rather pointless calculation to even bother to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched a little bit more and the quality of the dives is so much higher - they're not perfect, but they're attempting more than just falling in head first.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Are there other Freeview channels where the +1s are only on pay?

According to my Radio Times, Yesterday+1 (should be Yesterday Once More in my book :D) and Dave Ja Vu are on Sky and Virgin only.
    Not on Freeview, but available on Freesat as well as Sky and Virgin, are ITV3+1, ITV4+1, 5*+1 and 5USA+1.
    Pick TV+1 and Quest+1 are only on Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Dave Ja Vu has returned to Freeview this week.
This discussion has been closed.