Options

HMV future to be discussed...

Comments

• Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    2013 wrote: »
    Oh not the tax thing again! I thought we got over that debate in 2012...

Should I pay an extra £20 to make the tax man happy by going to HMV or save £20 in my back pocket to buy my family food and buy from Amazon? :confused:

To me, it's a principle.
    And not the whole "hmv is expensive/is a rip off" saga again. That's so 2010 ;)
    When was the last time you went to HMV and seen their prices?

Which company is bringing more to this country? tax dodging Amazon or HMV, a highstreet special retailer that doesn't use tax loopholes.

Maybe they should've done that and they wouldn't have be in the position they are in now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    website back up now
  • Options
    Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hayleyg wrote: »
    There's only one HMV in brum and a new Pop Up store.

They used to have three which was a bit pointless in my eyes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Oh not the tax thing again! I thought we got over that debate in 2012...

Should I pay an extra £20 to make the tax man happy by going to HMV or save £20 in my back pocket to buy my family food and buy from Amazon? :confused:

Better still don't buy any DVDs or whatever, and spend it all on food ;)
  • Options
    20132013 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    To me, it's a principle.
    And not the whole "hmv is expensive/is a rip off" saga again. That's so 2010 ;)
    When was the last time you went to HMV and seen their prices?

Which company is bringing more to this country? tax dodging Amazon or HMV, a highstreet special retailer that doesn't use tax loopholes.

Maybe they should've done that and they wouldn't have be in the position they are in now.

I used to go in my local HMV check price, scan the barcode and find it cheaper on Amazon I would then make my purchase online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    Better still don't buy any DVDs or whatever, and spend it all on food ;)

Yeah DVD's don't keep you alive but food does.
  • Options
    NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to go in my local HMV check price, scan the barcode and find it cheaper on Amazon I would then make my purchase online.
    How much cheaper are you taking? £3...less? Pennies?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Whats expensive about 5 Blu Rays for £30? That was good value for something not owned by someone else first.

I expect Amazons pricing to creep up with the lack of competition.
  • Options
    ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member

Absolutely gutted by this news. HMV has always been one of my favourite stores to browse in on a weekly basis and I never walk out without buying something.

A lot of people on here seem to be revelling in this and rambling on about HMV being way over priced. HMV have alwayts been incredibly he,lpful and staff have always gone out of their way to help out.

I wonder if the same people that have seemed desperate for HMV to close, will be the first to moan when there are no shops left on the high street

A very very sad day..I really hope someone steps in and saves it.

I totally agree with you Hayley. I've always used HMV to buy my cd's, dvd's and bluerays. I've always left with what I went in for, and don't feel like I've paid over the odds for it. I like the shopping experience, and have tried to always use the High Street to do my shopping. If more people used the high street, prices would come down, as has happened with online. Jo Public is it's own worst enemy at times. I'm not exempt at online shopping, but if we want to keep the High Street going, we have to use it!
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HMV failed to move on with the times. They adopted the internet model far too late in the game, and even then, the disparaging prices between the different stores were putting people off. They might have improved upon this in recent months... But when mud sticks, it's very hard to clean off.

Media is going digital, this is technology. It isn't the work of the devil, it's the way the times are changing.

One good thing that might come out of this though, is... perhaps... just perhaps... you might now see tiny independent record stores opening up in some street corners to fill the void of the store that once made them obsolete.

As for those hipsters complaining about Amazon, supermarkets and people buying from them... If it's a choice between saving money and having enough to buy food to put on the table or spending more to buy from HMV... F**k you. I'm saving my money... I have a child.

This is capitalism. Adapt or die. Unfortunately for HMV, they are dead. I feel sorry for the staff though, many of whom are ex-students who are going to find it very hard to get another job.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's it... No company in the right mind are going to save HMV they have no future.

And the top dogs at HMV are to blame, high prices and lack of ideas to bring HMV into the current times with technology,

Your serious right, they probably have the biggest range of music related tech of any retailer.

We are now basically stuck with Amazon and Play as no other retailer stocks anything like the HMV range. Supermarkets are only interested in charts, forget trying to get some obscure film in there.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HMV's problem has got little to do with price.

It's got little to do with Amazing

Or supermarkets.

HMV's problem is their products are becoming, or have already become obsolete. Physical media is dying.

First it was music singles, which now are rarely released physically, and now albums are too becoming more and more dominated by downloads. Soon physical albums will be gone.

Lovefilm, blinkbox, Netflix, NowTV, etc. do the same for DVDs and films

And then you've got DLC on game consoles which again leaves no need to go out and buy a disc.

in 5 or so years I don't see discs (be it music, dvd, games, etc.) being no different than cassette tapes or VHS are right now.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely gutted by this news. HMV has always been one of my favourite stores to browse in on a weekly basis and I never walk out without buying something.

A lot of people on here seem to be revelling in this and rambling on about HMV being way over priced. HMV have alwayts been incredibly he,lpful and staff have always gone out of their way to help out.

I wonder if the same people that have seemed desperate for HMV to close, will be the first to moan when there are no shops left on the high street

A very very sad day..I really hope someone steps in and saves it.

Absolutely agree. Truly browsable store. Spent many hours looking around and buying. Where to go now?
    There needs to be a CD/DVD outlet on the high street in some form.
    HMV used to be cool, its a sad day.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a shame that Game, Jessops and HMV couldn't have merged into the bigger HMV stores and tried the "all under one roof" approach.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    HMV's problem has got little to do with price.

It's got little to do with Amazing

Or supermarkets.

HMV's problem is their products are becoming, or have already become obsolete. Physical media is dying.

First it was music singles, which now are rarely released physically, and now albums are too becoming more and more dominated by downloads. Soon physical albums will be gone.

Lovefilm, blinkbox, Netflix, NowTV, etc. do the same for DVDs and films

And then you've got DLC on game consoles which again leaves no need to go out and buy a disc.

in 5 or so years I don't see discs (be it music, dvd, games, etc.) being no different than cassette tapes or VHS are right now.
    And almost all new high end tvs are coming out with 'smart tv' in built. So people can download or stream movies from their tvs always. And through bluray players.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Your serious right, they probably have the biggest range of music related tech of any retailer.

We are now basically stuck with Amazon and Play as no other retailer stocks anything like the HMV range. Supermarkets are only interested in charts, forget trying to get some obscure film in there.

Yes they probably do have the largest variety of music on CD, but CD's are in the past, things move on and we're in the digital downloads stage at the moment thus HMV is not needed.

People need to move away from CD's then they won't need HMV, everything we all need is online all nice and cheap or free if you look hard enough :p
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

And that's where part of the problem lies. I don't need to spell it out to you as to why.

Plus, why order online, when you can buy it and have it in your hand there and then.
  • Options
    NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    If it's a choice between saving money and having enough to buy food to put on the table or spending more to buy from HMV... F**k you. I'm saving my money... I have a child. .
    Depends where you're spending your money I guess. Generally if you're spending your money with some company that then ships it off shore, whilst minimising its tax bill and employing comparatively less people; all for the sake of saving a quid - You'll end up costing yourself in the long run.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    No surprise really. I'm surprised they've lasted as long as they have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FunkyJawa wrote: »
    Whats expensive about 5 Blu Rays for £30? That was good value for something not owned by someone else first.

I expect Amazons pricing to creep up with the lack of competition.

Add the 5 blu rays up and check Amazon you'll get them for £25.:D
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    Bex. wrote: »
    website back up now

It was never down
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    It annoys me that people say their prices are too high. You can get most of their chart CDs for less than £10 - they're one of the few things that haven't raised with inflation and have got cheaper and cheaper. We have the cheapest CD prices in Europe.

As someone has said above though, it isn't the chart stuff that's the issue, it's the less popular, 'long tail' stuff.

I don't mind paying a bit extra in a shop - it's nice to be able to buy something and go home and listen/watch straight away, but people are not going to buy it from HMV when they can get it significantly cheaper online.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel very sad for the staff. I also remember the old days of Andys Records and Independents such as Sid Scarborough, they all went to the wall and I do beleive HMV have to take some of the blame for that. now it's their turn, they haven't been able to keep up with the non tax paying big boys.
    Having said that it will be sad to see yet another empty retail space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    And that's where part of the problem lies. I don't need to spell it out to you as to why.

Plus, why order online, when you can buy it and have it in your hand there and then.

I like ordering online and you can order digital downloads and get your stuff instantly.