Options

HMV to go into administration :(

Comments

• Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    If the government did more to help shops in the first place then we wouldn't have this problem. It's all well and good Cameron going on about how terrible it is that we're losing all these chains and jobs, but he continues to sit on his arse and do nothing about it. Increasing VAT didn't help. Sooner we get out of this coalition the better, and good riddance to the Tories!

Don't blame the Tories. Woolworths folded under Labour. If people got off their arses and actually went into the stores and physically bought something from them instead of just logging online and buying it from companies like Amazon who avoid paying tax to the UK, then these shops would not be in dire straits.

If people actually had the balls to boycott Tesco's/Asda and actually go into the high street stores instead, then these shops would not be in dire straits. We are all responsible for these shops' demise. We all want an easy life, cheaper products, and convenience. But at what cost do these things come in at? The answer? The death of the high street.

Modern life has resulted in "progress" apparently. Perhaps we should tell that to those about to lose their jobs. Remember that when you're all clicking away for bargains.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B-29 wrote: »
    But will they need to match anyone soon? , all these closures are making it worse for the consumer in the long run IMPO.

That is true i live in Swansea and if that goes then in SW even Cardiff music will be available online or Supermarkets its annoying but personally for me it doesn't have much of an impact.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    There is that but in most respects people are savvy enough to us the internet there are great offers on there but Amazon can more than match.

I have never used Amazon for anything and I will never use Amazon - based on principle.

Why should everyone have to use Amazon? Is there no such thing as consumer choice anymore?
  • Options
    hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    I must be too, despite being in my very early 20s
    I'm early 20s too and still buy CD's. I've just always preferred it that way! Buying music on iTunes just isn't the same for me.

Gutted about this :(
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never mentioned Labour ;) But I'm saying that the current government should be doing SOMETHING to help these chains. Labour didn't and nor are the coalition. They must step in and do something to protect the high street, the chains, and most importantly, the jobs.

And to those saying about throwing away gift cards. DON'T. The story has been updated to say that the administrators will try to find a buyer. It's very possible they could be bought out, afterall, GAME was.

I will keep it mine in the hope i will be able to use it but by the looks of that pic someone posted above, it really doesn't look like I will be able to. My own fault for trying to save up for the headphones i wanted :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Don't blame the Tories. Woolworths folded under Labour. If people got off their arses and actually went into the stores and physically bought something from them instead of just logging online and buying it from companies like Amazon who avoid paying tax to the UK, then these shops would not be in dire straits.

If people actually had the balls to boycott Tesco's/Asda and actually go into the high street stores instead, then these shops would not be in dire straits. We are all responsible for these shops' demise. We all want an easy life, cheaper products, and convenience. But at what cost do these things come in at? The answer? The death of the high street.

Modern life has resulted in "progress" apparently. Perhaps we should tell that to those about to lose their jobs. Remember that when you're all clicking away for bargains.

For anything other than food, I do.

Never do I buy CDs or DVDs from a supermarket - or Amazon. I always buy from HMV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never used Amazon for anything and I will never use Amazon - based on principle.

Why should everyone have to use Amazon? Is there no such thing as consumer choice anymore?

Well ni but i'm personally more concerned about the demise of Independent music stores. As i said personally its not as though music will be unavailable just have less of a physical presence on the hight st
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anything other than food, I do.

Never do I buy CDs or DVDs from a supermarket - or Amazon. I always buy from HMV.

And so do I. I have a ritual! I go into town every Monday afternoon after work. I always venture into HMV. I have bought all the chart albums I wanted over the last few years from them. It will be as sad as Woolies going. I still miss that store. Wilkinsons just isn't the same!
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please see my last post. I am not defending Labour, nor am I blaming the Tories. I am saying that the acting government needs to do SOMETHING to prevent these losses. Why can't they give the high street stores a tax break of sorts? It's not just a case of losing decade old chains, it's the loss of stores, empty buildings on the high street (I have basically no reason to visit the city centre now, which means I'm less likely to go in other shops I may have passed and thought 'oooh, I'm gonna pop in there and see if they've got anything nice I can spend my hard earned cash on', and most importantly, the loss of thousands of jobs. The reason I have specifically named the Tories here, is because they've actually made things WORSE. I don't remember Labour pushing VAT up; infact, they lowered it. The coalition need to wake up and do something before it's too late. If things carry on we'll have nothing left but Tescos and computer screens. I'm sure that's not a world we want to live in.

ALSO: In response to blaming everyone; please don't. Like many posters above have also said, I go out of my way to buy items from HMV. Unless it is ridiculously overpriced, in which case I check their website (and normally find it a lot cheaper, but hey, it's still the same company) or wait for a sale. I buy ALL my DVDs from HMV and I'm proud to say that. Yes, in some instances I might pay an extra pound or two over the likes of Amazon, but in my mind, that's a small price to pay to keep the high street stores open. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have helped.
  • Options
    pixiegirl123pixiegirl123 Posts: 15,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My parents boycotted Tesco, they refuse to go in!:eek:
    I'm early 20s too and still buy CD's. I've just always preferred it that way! Buying music on iTunes just isn't the same for me.

Gutted about this :(

I'm late teens, and as said earlier, I prefer to buy CDs, I only ever download if I can't find in a shop.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, 6 blu-rays for £30 is so expensive. There's loads of 2 for £10, 3 for £20 deals there.

And it doesn't take a genius to work out why store prices are more than online prices - especially when compared to a company that doesn't pay any tax.

I must be too, despite being in my very early 20s

I went into HMV to buy Brave Bluray in 3D a few weeks back. £39. In Tesco it was £21. I also just bought a Wii U and shopped around for the bundle I wanted at HMV, it was £350. In Game it was £310...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please see my last post. I am not defending Labour, nor am I blaming the Tories. I am saying that the acting government needs to do SOMETHING to prevent these losses. Why can't they give the high street stores a tax break of sorts? It's not just a case of losing decade old chains, it's the loss of stores, empty buildings on the high street (I have basically no reason to visit the city centre now, which means I'm less likely to go in other shops I may have passed and thought 'oooh, I'm gonna pop in there and see if they've got anything nice I can spend my hard earned cash on', and most importantly, the loss of thousands of jobs. The reason I have specifically named the Tories here, is because they've actually made things WORSE. I don't remember Labour pushing VAT up; infact, they lowered it. The coalition need to wake up and do something before it's too late. If things carry on we'll have nothing left but Tescos and computer screens. I'm sure that's not a world we want to live in.

Oh I see what you mean now. Giving tax breaks could be controversial as some stores would be more advantaged than others but I agree that perhaps they could help save the high street in some way.

Perhaps making legislation to prevent superstores monopolising towns could be a start. We have three Tesco's in Newbury. Three! We also have the second largest Sainsburys in England. They sell virtually everything at much lower prices than high street stores. Sainsburys are selling a 32" 3D HD TV for £159.99. If they charged more would Comet have gone under? I agree with you. The Government needs to do something. But the public also needs to adhere to that ancient rule: "Use it or lose it". No point complaining after its gone if we couldn't be bothered to use it while it was there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ALSO: In response to blaming everyone; please don't. Like many posters above have also said, I go out of my way to buy items from HMV. Unless it is ridiculously overpriced, in which case I check their website (and normally find it a lot cheaper, but hey, it's still the same company) or wait for a sale. I buy ALL my DVDs from HMV and I'm proud to say that. Yes, in some instances I might pay an extra pound or two over the likes of Amazon, but in my mind, that's a small price to pay to keep the high street stores open. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have helped.

I use HMV too. But a few people isn't going to make a difference. In general more people DON'T use the High Street. So it is fair to blame everyone, me and you included. If I saw a Tablet in HMV for £99 but a couple of shops down the same tablet was £69 where would I buy the tablet? And that means even if the shop was Tesco's!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I see what you mean now. Giving tax breaks could be controversial as some stores would be more advantaged than others but I agree that perhaps they could help save the high street in some way.

Perhaps making legislation to prevent superstores monopolising towns could be a start. We have three Tesco's in Newbury. Three! We also have the second largest Sainsburys in England. They sell virtually everything at much lower prices than high street stores. Sainsburys are selling a 32" 3D HD TV for £159.99. If they charged more would Comet have gone under? I agree with you. The Government needs to do something. But the public also needs to adhere to that ancient rule: "Use it or lose it". No point complaining after its gone if we couldn't be bothered to use it while it was there.

I agree on superstores wholeheartedly where i live its a small town on the outskirts of the city west wales in one direction swansea in the other in that in area there are about 15-20 superstores whthin 10 minutes of the last one small independent chains and high st stores cannot compete when there is that monopoly why go to HMV whne u can food shop and get a cheaper price on your entertainment may not have as much variety but cheaper costs. That kind of monopoly needs a definite re-think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I went into HMV to buy Brave Bluray in 3D a few weeks back. £39. In Tesco it was £21. I also just bought a Wii U and shopped around for the bundle I wanted at HMV, it was £350. In Game it was £310...

Other places have different prices shocker. There are many times where HMV is the cheapest option. Similarly, when buying other good, food for example the same product is a different price in Asda to Tesco. But that doesn't mean I'm going around saying "Tesco is a rip off, they are far too expensive, they deserve to go bust" that a lot of people seem to be revelling in.

I could play your game and prove that HMV are cheaper in some instances, but it's a boring game to play and the "HMV is expensive" line is old and boring. It mainly comes from people that haven't even stepped foot in a HMV in a long time or looked at their website. (not saying this is you btw)
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is really annoying. Supermarkets only sell the most popular new films. HMV had a wide selection of films/music. Less so than it used too. Also the HMVs had massive queues at Christmas time. Christmas shopping is going to be much more annoying now since doing it online isn't really reliable at all.

I didn't find HMV that expensive either! They always had deals on and often you could get a good old film for about £4-5.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it normal that companies about to go bust stop excepting gift cards before they officially go into administration?

PJ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The thing here, is that a lot of people DO seem to use HMV. I think lots of us realised a long time ago that it was the last surviving member of it's sector on the high street and shopped there for this reason. I don't see supermarkets as such a threat as the internet. I don't have a car, a lot of other people my age (early to mid 20s) don't either. So unless I get a lift I can't get to a supermarket. When I do get a lift to the supermarket, it's a once a month food shop.

The government need to step in and do something to save the high street chains. If I was incharge, I would do this:

- Impose higher taxes on online retailers. They don't have the overheads that high street stores do so they can afford to pay more. They also employ less staff so it makes a lot of sense to tax them more.

-Impose higher taxes on stores over a certain size. Now I don't know a lot of store sizes (despite working in a shop!) but it shouldn't be the same rules as the cigarette ban. I work in a shop that's not incredibly big, yet we're not allowed to display cigarettes because we're classed by the government as a large store. We're certainly not a large store, and I've been into high street stores larger than ourselves. So when I say large stores, I literally mean stores of a supermarket size.

-Lower taxes on high street stores.

That means there will be quite a big gap between the taxes paid by high street retailers and supermarkets/online retailers. It's fair though. I mean, the rich have to pay a higher percentage of tax, so why shouldn't supermarkets and online retailers, who make a lot more profit than high street retailers, be taxed a higher percentage? It's just the same as the way the rich pay a higher percentage than the poor. The bigger, richer companies, paying more to help the smaller companies.

-Try and do something to encourage landlords to lower rents. No one wants empty buildings in town, especially the landlords.

-Do more to encourage people into town centres. I'm at a loss as to how they can achieve this. I know parking has been bought up in the past, but would free parking really help that much? I think if someone has a car they're more likely just to go to the supermarket. :l

This is what I would do if I were incharge. Maybe it's all completely wrong and I sound absolutely bonkers, but hey, it's a lot more than Labour/The Tories/Lib Dems have done/probably ever will do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other places have different prices shocker. There are many times where HMV is the cheapest option. Similarly, when buying other good, food for example the same product is a different price in Asda to Tesco. But that doesn't mean I'm going around saying "Tesco is a rip off, they are far too expensive, they deserve to go bust" that a lot of people seem to be revelling in.

I could play your game and prove that HMV are cheaper in some instances, but it's a boring game to play and the "HMV is expensive" line is old and boring. It mainly comes from people that haven't even stepped foot in a HMV in a long time or looked at their website. (not saying this is you btw)

Well said.

I only worry about whether something is cheaper somewhere if I am going to save lots of money. Therefore paying £13 for a new chart CD is something I am happy to do. Even if it's only £10.97 in Tesco's. How much petrol would I waste driving a mile to save £2.03? But if I was buying an ipod and HMV charged £99 but Tesco's charged £69 I would drive to Tesco's to get it. It is swings and roundabouts. But I will be saddened if HMV disappears.
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes terrible news though its been public knowledge for a while that they were in trouble.

I can't believe that if they do close there will be nowhere left on the high st to buy music or films.

A few people have said who buys them from a shop anyway well alot of people still do.

They did obviously did need to sort there prices out on many items especially the older items they stocked some of them were priced outrageously and why do they differ from store to store.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Is it normal that companies about to go bust stop excepting gift cards before they officially go into administration?

PJ

Not sure but if true it's sucks because if its true and they are heading for admin 2moro then they haven't given any time for people to use up there gift cards as, as far as I know there are no hmv open this time of night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »

PJ

I don't know but Jessops done the same thing last week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing here, is that a lot of people DO seem to use HMV. I think lots of us realised a long time ago that it was the last surviving member of it's sector on the high street and shopped there for this reason. I don't see supermarkets as such a threat as the internet. I don't have a car, a lot of other people my age (early to mid 20s) don't either. So unless I get a lift I can't get to a supermarket. When I do get a lift to the supermarket, it's a once a month food shop.

The government need to step in and do something to save the high street chains. If I was incharge, I would do this:

- Impose higher taxes on online retailers. They don't have the overheads that high street stores do so they can afford to pay more. They also employ less staff so it makes a lot of sense to tax them more.

-Impose higher taxes on stores over a certain size. Now I don't know a lot of store sizes (despite working in a shop!) but it shouldn't be the same rules as the cigarette ban. I work in a shop that's not incredibly big, yet we're not allowed to display cigarettes because we're classed by the government as a large store. We're certainly not a large store, and I've been into high street stores larger than ourselves. So when I say large stores, I literally mean stores of a supermarket size.

-Lower taxes on high street stores.

That means there will be quite a big gap between the taxes paid by high street retailers and supermarkets/online retailers. It's fair though. I mean, the rich have to pay a higher percentage of tax, so why shouldn't supermarkets and online retailers, who make a lot more profit than high street retailers, be taxed a higher percentage? It's just the same as the way the rich pay a higher percentage than the poor. The bigger, richer companies, paying more to help the smaller companies.

-Try and do something to encourage landlords to lower rents. No one wants empty buildings in town, especially the landlords.

-Do more to encourage people into town centres. I'm at a loss as to how they can achieve this. I know parking has been bought up in the past, but would free parking really help that much? I think if someone has a car they're more likely just to go to the supermarket. :l

This is what I would do if I were incharge. Maybe it's all completely wrong and I sound absolutely bonkers, but hey, it's a lot more than Labour/The Tories/Lib Dems have done/probably ever will do.

Have you considered putting your points to your MP? Your ideas are not bonkers at all. Perhaps you're right. Something needs to happen otherwise in ten years time the high street will be internet cafes and mobile phone shops interspersed with coffee shops. A nightmare vision of the future. Partly because we are constantly craving the latest technological breakthrough! Progress? My arse. Regress? Absolultey!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you considered putting your points to your MP? Your ideas are not bonkers at all. Perhaps you're right. Something needs to happen otherwise in ten years time the high street will be internet cafes and mobile phone shops interspersed with coffee shops. A nightmare vision of the future. Partly because we are constantly craving the latest technological breakthrough! Progress? My arse. Regress? Absolultey!

And not forgetting £1 and 99p shops :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? I thought they might be a bit drastic, lol. How would I go about contacting my local MP? I wouldn't know where to begin. :confused: But if I could suggest something and it got noticed, it would be a breakthrough for the consumer.

Thing is, I sit here and read what I have suggested and I think that if someone in the government (I mean, they even took on Mary whateverhernameis) hasn't come up with these ideas before now then there is something seriously wrong. They just seem common sense to me. So the question is, are they that thick? Or is it just they've come up with these ideas but don't want to impose them? :confused: