Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Channel4 plugged Utopia so much over the last month, had a billboard campaign and yet it couldnt even get a million viewers. Terrible rating!
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    A few more:
    EastEnders 9.02m
    Emmerdale 7.68m
    Holby City 5.11m

Thanks for these ronant!

Weren't people saying last week that Holby's 5m overnight would include a Scottish drama at the time and would be taken out of the final rating?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Channel4 plugged Utopia so much over the last month, had a billboard campaign and yet it couldnt even get a million viewers. Terrible rating!

People can say Utopia is a dark drama all they want, but with the level of promotion it had you'd assume Channel 4 wanted to get loads of people watching it. Will they be happy with a 1m overnight?
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Thanks for these ronant!

Weren't people saying last week that Holby's 5m overnight would include a Scottish drama at the time and would be taken out of the final rating?

The overnight was 5.12m, so overall it's gone done 0.01m, so looks like the Scottish drama (River City I presume?) has been taken out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    New twist for Splash! announced, instead of splashing into water, they are splashing into ice to reflect the climatic conditions.

(a joke, obviously... :o )

That'd be more Splat than Splash surely? :D
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for these ronant!

Yes they were, then it timeshifted back to where it was in the first place, in other words the number of scottish viewers of River City are similar to the number of timeshifter watching HC which is strangely convenient.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    The overnight was 5.12m, so overall it's gone done 0.01m, so looks like the Scottish drama (River City I presume?) has been taken out.
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Yes they were, then it timeshifted back to where it was in the first place, in other words the number of scottish viewers of River City are similar to the number of timeshifter watching HC which is strangely convenient.
    With all the talk about Casualty not doing as well as it has in the past, Holby has been overlooked. It should be over 6m more often against weaker competition.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a Marple repeat last night.
    still bad though

ITV doesn't get viewers on Tuesdays outside of football (and Emmers), it seems

Well, it was more or less completely unbilled in most of the TV listings, it was an alternative in case there wasn't any football last night and even if it did appear in the listings it was in the smallest font imaginable, the Radio Times didn't even say what episode it was going to be. So for an improvised schedule I dunno how big it was going to be. Does Marple even repeat particularly well?

It's easy to say that Death In Paradise is only doing well because of hopeless competition but BBC2 and C4 are of course rating higher than they did during the last series, so the opposition audience is about the same, I think.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Thanks for these ronant!

Holby timeshifted reasonably, going from 5.12m overnight in the pan-UK slot to 5.11m and therefore practically making up the whole loss of Scottish viewers with recordings in the officials. River City consolidated to 422k. Holby was shown to Scottish viewers after the 10pm news and scored 218k there.
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have the figures for daytime Father Brown, I'd like to see if it managed to maintain its first strong showing on Monday. Thanks.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the figures for daytime Father Brown, I'd like to see if it managed to maintain its first strong showing on Monday. Thanks.

Father Brown: 1.47m (19.4%). Down a fair bit, but still beat Doctors again in viewers and share.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first episode of series 2 of Death In Paradise was watched by 8.20m.This pleases me! :D

Wowsers!

Only half a million behind the much heralded Selfridge, with only a fraction of the promotion! And that had the flagship Sunday slot, not a Tuesday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Father Brown: 1.47m (19.4%). Down a fair bit, but still beat Doctors again in viewers and share.

• Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    really going to have to give Death in Paradise a go, problem is I have missed S1, and now two episodes of S2 (iPlayer might fix the S2 problem)

boo for talk of EE in crisis, ratings are again stable, and show has found its funny bone, or should we say, its found A funny bone, and added it to the set, I am very amused by EE currently, and I only hope this can provide a firm base for growth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it was more or less completely unbilled in most of the TV listings, it was an alternative in case there wasn't any football last night and even if it did appear in the listings it was in the smallest font imaginable, the Radio Times didn't even say what episode it was going to be. So for an improvised schedule I dunno how big it was going to be. Does Marple even repeat particularly well?

It's easy to say that Death In Paradise is only doing well because of hopeless competition but BBC2 and C4 are of course rating higher than they did during the last series, so the opposition audience is about the same, I think.
    I agree about Death In Paradise. Its competition isn't just from ITV as other channels are doing well in that competitive timeslot.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    really going to have to give Death in Paradise a go, problem is I have missed S1, and now two episodes of S2 (iPlayer might fix the S2 problem)

boo for talk of EE in crisis, ratings are again stable, and show has found its funny bone, or should we say, its found A funny bone, and added it to the set, I am very amused by EE currently, and I only hope this can provide a firm base for growth.

You don't need to have a detailed knowledge of previous episodes of Death in Paradise all you need to know is that an English Policeman has been posted to a Caribbean island (one of the British Dependencies) more a less against his will and its very hot but he refuses not to wear a suit won't drink anything other than tea, he has a female oddly French police partner and 2 comedy underlings (cat from Red Dwarf) and murders happen and that more or less it, other than its very good.
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    You don't need to have a detailed knowledge of previous episodes of Death in Paradise all you need to know is that an English Policeman has been posted to a Caribbean island (one of the British Dependencies) more a less against his will and its very hot but he refuses not to wear a suit won't drink anything other than tea, he has a female oddly French police partner and 2 comedy underlings (cat from Red Dwarf) and murders happen and that more or less it, other than its very good.

I likd Hustle, would I like this? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »

I think Monday's daytime ratings suggest that there was a little snow boost going on as Doctors was on 1.9m. Father Brown still doing well though.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can watch each episode independently but if you do ever intend to watch s1, then ep1 has to be watched first...

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wowsers!

Only half a million behind the much heralded Selfridge, with only a fraction of the promotion! And that had the flagship Sunday slot, not a Tuesday.
    It's good to see Death In Paradise doing so well. I really enjoy it and it's good to see some lighter dramas around.
    You really should give Death In Paradise a go. All of the episodes for series 2 are up on iPlayer for the duration of the series. You don't need to watch the first series to like this one either.

EE really is genuinely funny now. I've rarely laughed at the show but I have been with the last few episodes. It's never been this funny before. I'm liking it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    I likd Hustle, would I like this? :D

As crime series go it's quite old fashioned, Poirot style 'classic' detection....murder is committed, they investigate, the DI has a sudden inspiration and gathers all the suspects together for the unmasking of the killer.

Sometimes a lizard appears
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As crime series go it's quite old fashioned, Poirot style 'classic' detection....murder is committed, they investigate, the DI has a sudden inspiration and gathers all the suspects together for the unmasking of the killer.

These are the perfect descriptions of Death In Paradise. :D
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol what I haven't seen a lizard? how the hel have I miss that lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol what I haven't seen a lizard? how the hel have I miss that lol

It's the lizard!

https://twitter.com/deathinparadise/status/288341377153134592
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at some official ratings so far this year:

Africa
    02/01 - 8.52m (28.1%)
    * peak: 8.75m (28.9%) at 21:40

Death in Paradise
    08/01 - 8.20m (30.6%)
    * peak: 8.33m (30.4%) at 21:05

Lewis
    07/01 - 7.75m (24.7%), +1: 464k (2.4%)
    * peak: 8.34m (26.5%) at 21:05 inc +1

Miranda
    01/01 - 10.47m (33.3%)
    * peak: 10.70m (34.0%) at 21:25
    07/01 - 8.84m (28.7%)
    * peak: 8.95m (30.8%) at 21:10

Mr Selfridge
    06/01 - 8.54m (28.4%), +1: 813k (4.3%)
    * peak: 9.81m (29.8%) at 21:05 inc +1

Mrs Brown's Boys
    01/01 - 9.78m (31.4%)
    * peak: 9.82m (32.0%) at 21:50
    07/01 - 9.20m (29.6%)
    * peak: 9.30m (31.4%) at 21:45

Stonking official figures all around, which is fantastic to see. As for the 'real live' figures...

Africa
    02/01 - 5.97m (25.0%)

Death in Paradise
    08/01 - 6.02m (27.6%)

Lewis
    07/01 - 5.90m (25.2%), +1: 351k (2.1%)

Miranda
    01/01 - 7.88m (30.9%)
    07/01 - 5.93m (24.9%)

Mr Selfridge
    06/01 - 6.37m (27.1%), +1: 505k (3.1%)

Mrs Brown's Boys
    01/01 - 6.86m (27.7%)
    07/01 - 5.59m (24.2%)

All of the above live figures average 6.42m (27.2%).
    All of the above consolidated figures average 9.07m (30.2%).

A lot of difference!
This discussion has been closed.