Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pierson wrote: »
    Anymore? I don't think E4 has ever had Family Guy?
    ok E4 never had Family Guy, but C4 did, and lets not pretend there is not a strong connection between the two channels.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    DOND has been below 1m (inc +1) before: on several occasions during the Olympics but also on 14 September 2012 (there may be others; I just looked back a few months.) It's still a bad rating and it would be worrying for C4 if it stayed below 1m consistently.
    Thanks. I meant on a regular weekday. Not the first time then. I suppose yesterday's rating looks worse because you expect the current weather to be boosting daytime TV audiences if anything.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    It's great isn't it. My worry is that the schedule will get allot weaker. Okay with the return of the voice that will prop Saturday nights up and they still have a steady performer in Masterchef. Silk gets pretty good numbers that back.

Drama wise BBC One has some how found loads of really good returning dramas. I also forgot they have 8 Doctor Who Episodes to air in the spring so BBC One is strong this year I think.

Last Tango and Sherlock later in the year. The Apprentice. Looking at those numbers the last time BBC One was that strong at 9 pm was the Olympics.

What's interesting for me this year is how will BBC ones audience share go. Okay they are going to be down on last year but if they can stay above 2011 I think that is a huge result. With this start it's possible. Lack of Kids TV will help as well.

Ken

What's amazing is that BBC1 has consistently won the flagship slot 6 nights a week since before xmas and should continue to do so until the start of February; it could get a clean sweep if Selfridge continues to decline and CTM gives Ripper a boost.

Unprecedented really, even since BBC1 became the most watched channel.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's debatable that 9pm is the flagship slot on a Saturday, it isn't really as nothing major ever really starts that late.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is how BBC One and ITV1 performed in the first full BARB week (7th to 13th January) versus previous years (all overnights inc +1 and HD):

BBC One
    2006 - 23.1% (2nd to 8th January)
    2007 - 23.2% (1st to 7th January)
    2008 - 21.4% (7th to 13th January)
    2009 - 20.6% (5th to 11th January)
    2010 - 21.2% (4th to 10th January)
    2011 - 20.8% (3rd to 9th January)
    2012 - 20.4% (2nd to 8th January)
    2013 - 21.3% (7th to 13th January)

ITV1
    2006 - 20.9% (2nd to 8th January)
    2007 - 18.0% (1st to 7th January)
    2008 - 20.6% (7th to 13th January)
    2009 - 19.4% (5th to 11th January)
    2010 - 18.1% (4th to 10th January)
    2011 - 17.2% (3rd to 9th January)
    2012 - 18.6% (2nd to 8th January)
    2013 - 17.4% (7th to 13th January)
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did ITV do so well that week last year? :confused:

Seems way off the trend.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DOND has been below 1m (inc +1) before: on several occasions during the Olympics but also on 14 September 2012 (there may be others; I just looked back a few months.) It's still a bad rating and it would be worrying for C4 if it stayed below 1m consistently.
    The trouble is C4 don't seem to be worrying about ratings dipping under 1m across the board - indeed their whole creative renewal process seems to have been about replacing shows which got 2m+ with ones that get less than 1m. Hopefully the recent scare with advertisers will finally get them to buck up their ideas.
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    How did ITV do so well that week last year? :confused:

Seems way off the trend.

Big launching DOI and two high rating FA Cup matches. This season's FA Cup matches were way down on last year (more than half), DOI launch was down, no Wild at Heart too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    May as well do this for the whole daytime... ;)

Adults 16-34 - Thursday 16th January 2013
    BBC One
    09:15 - Wanted Down Under: 111k (11.0%)
    10:00 - Homes Under the Hammer: 128k (10.5%)
    11:00 - BBC News Special: 112k (9.1%)
    11:30 - The Sheriffs Are Coming: 142k (12.3%)
    12:15 - Bargain Hunt: 149k (12.6%)
    13:00 - BBC News at One: 217k (16.3%)
    13:30 - BBC Regional News: 267k (20.1%)
    13:45 - Doctors: 131k (9.2%)
    14:15 - Father Brown: 65k (5.1%)
    15:00 - Escape to the Country: 60k (4.5%)
    15:45 - Perfection: 98k (6.2%)
    16:30 - Antiques Road Trip: 96k (5.1%)
    17:15 - Pointless: 176k (7.5%)

ITV1
    09:30 - The Jeremy Kyle Show: 321k (29.3%)
    10:30 - This Morning: 264k (21.9%)
    12:30 - Loose Women: 142k (11.2%)
    13:30 - ITV News and Weather: 112k (8.2%)
    14:00 - Storage Hoarders: 117k (8.8%)
    15:00 - Dickinson's Real Deal: 118k (8.7%)
    16:00 - Tipping Point: 184k (10.7%)
    17:00 - The Chase: 236k (10.7%)

Channel 4
    14;45 - Countdown: 10k (0.8%)

Interesting that while BBC1 usually edges the daytime ratings against ITV, ITV are out in front in the important 16-34 demographic, so they must be doing something right.

BBC1's afternoons are particularly old skewing. Notice how young skewing The Jeremy Kyle Show is as well!

Countdown's rating is awful,it used to be a students staple, I doubt any students even know what it is thesedays.
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    The trouble is C4 don't seem to be worrying about ratings dipping under 1m across the bored - indeed their whole creative renewal process seems to have been about replacing shows which got 2m+ with ones that get less than 1m. Hopefully the recent scare with advertisers will finally get them to buck up their ideas.

Wrong spelling, but ironically, viewers are getting bored with C4.

They've axed Gypsy Weddings, there highest rating show last year. They will hope to have one-off successes like The Plane Crash and the programme about The Queen's family (which I can't remember the name of). So far, they have two shows over 3m mark, One Born Every Minute and (I'm pretty sure) The Undateables second ep.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Interesting that while BBC1 usually edges the daytime ratings against ITV, ITV are out in front in the important 16-34 demographic, so they must be doing something right.

BBC1's afternoons are particularly old skewing. Notice how young skewing The Jeremy Kyle Show is as well!

Countdown's rating is awful,it used to be a students staple, I doubt any students even know what it is thesedays.
    Kind of reinforces the popular opinion that BBC serves the retired while ITV, and Jeremy Kyle in particular, serves the unemployed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kind of reinforces the popular opinion that BBC serves the retired while ITV, and Jeremy Kyle in particular, serves the unemployed.

and students and housewives and stay at home mums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Here is how BBC One and ITV1 performed in the first full BARB week (7th to 13th January) versus previous years (all overnights inc +1 and HD):

BBC One
    2006 - 23.1% (2nd to 8th January)
    2007 - 23.2% (1st to 7th January)
    2008 - 21.4% (7th to 13th January)
    2009 - 20.6% (5th to 11th January)
    2010 - 21.2% (4th to 10th January)
    2011 - 20.8% (3rd to 9th January) hI
    2012 - 20.4% (2nd to 8th January)
    2013 - 21.3% (7th to 13th January)

ITV1
    2006 - 20.9% (2nd to 8th January)
    2007 - 18.0% (1st to 7th January)
    2008 - 20.6% (7th to 13th January)
    2009 - 19.4% (5th to 11th January)
    2010 - 18.1% (4th to 10th January)
    2011 - 17.2% (3rd to 9th January)
    2012 - 18.6% (2nd to 8th January)
    2013 - 17.4% (7th to 13th January)

The BBC1 shares are more impressive given that, at least on these numbers, every "ITV1 hour" counts for double every "BBC1 hour".

No only does augmentation boost ITV's percentage, the double whammy is that the +1 inclusive figures mean BBC1's share gets nipped down from what it actually was.

How anyone who doesn't work for ITV or in advertising can call this fair is beyond me....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's debatable that 9pm is the flagship slot on a Saturday, it isn't really as nothing major ever really starts that late.

Perhaps we should only regard as "flagship" the dwindling number of slots that ITV still does well in.... :)
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    The BBC1 shares are more impressive given that, at least on these numbers, every "ITV1 hour" counts for double every "BBC1 hour".

No only does augmentation boost ITV's percentage, the double whammy is that the +1 inclusive figures mean BBC1's share gets nipped down from what it actually was.

How anyone who doesn't work for ITV or in advertising can call this fair is beyond me....

Yeah, yeah we get it Robbie. You have a problem with +1. Maybe its time to get over it though. They've had it for just over 2 years now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps we should only regard as "flagship" the dwindling number of slots that ITV still does well in.... :)

They've been 'doing well' at 9pm on many days anyway. Its just that BBC1 have been doing a bit better.
  • Options
    mrstreetcredmrstreetcred Posts: 6,704
    Forum Member
    Good balance aswell on bbc1, a night of comedy, a factual and 4 nights of brand new drama!!! Yes all crime drama but ranging from light to dark, and regular police procedure!!

And more importantly no light factual at 9pm!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Thanks
    Surprised to see DonD at such a low rating on that demo
    So basically Come Dine with Me and The Simpsons are the only profitable shows in daytime on C4.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So the BBC One share doesn't include VODSAL then???
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is C4 don't seem to be worrying about ratings dipping under 1m across the board - indeed their whole creative renewal process seems to have been about replacing shows which got 2m+ with ones that get less than 1m. Hopefully the recent scare with advertisers will finally get them to buck up their ideas.

And shows that trend on Twitter! Don't forget that one. :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    So the BBC One share doesn't include VODSAL then???

But only people who actually watched BBC1....

+1 viewing IS NOT TIMESHIFTING!
    Yeah, yeah we get it Robbie. You have aa problem with +1. Maybe its time to get over it though. They've had it for just over 2 years now.

So because you've "won" I've got to shut up and not point out the ludicrousness of it?

So if BBC1 scores an actual 20 in a given hour, not only does it have to sit and watch ITV lump on some extra % through a repeat hour on another channel, it ends up with 19.7 for good measure because ITV counts twice.

Madness!

I'll keep banging on about it Roscoe, don't you worry about that. If you don't like it, then either lump it or add me to your Ignore List.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member

I do think Countdown's days are numbered (see what I did there?)... It was always such a staple because of its consistency and the ironic enjoyment of Richard Whiteley's avuncular persona. The show s now showing the law of diminishing returns - the revolving door of presenters in recent years has harmed the brand, and Nick Hewer lacks the warmth which was a unique aspect of the show's past success.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    I knew that DOND rating was coming. I think C4 are losing it big time!
    Dancc wrote: »
    And people mocked me when I said a few months ago that DOND's time was coming to an end and it was time to try something new.

Dropping below that million mark (for the first time ever?) feels significant. It's being overshadowed by fresher gameshows on the big two now.
    Dancc wrote: »
    Thanks. I meant on a regular weekday. Not the first time then. I suppose yesterday's rating looks worse because you expect the current weather to be boosting daytime TV audiences if anything.

That's the scary thing about Deal Or No Deal's rating. Under 1m for a regular episode. If alarm bells aren't ringing at Channel 4 they should be!
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So because you've "won" I've got to shut up and not point out the ludicrousness of it?

So if BBC1 scores an actual 20 in a given hour, not only does it have to sit and watch ITV lump on some extra % through a repeat hour on another channel, it ends up with 19.7 for good measure because ITV counts twice.

Madness!

I'll keep banging on about it Roscoe, don't you worry about that. If you don't like it, then either lump it or add me to your Ignore List.

Yep, and I'm right with you Robbie. The Chase for instance is winning over Pointless WHEN you add on +1. But when the two shows are head to head Pointless often beats it.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it is - they're still viewers who watched the same night before 2am.
This discussion has been closed.