Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that episode threads mean anything but the EastEnders, Coronation Street and Big Brother threads seem smaller than normal - I wonder if people struggling to get home from work may mean ratings aren't quite as high as people expect them to be.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Scheduling updates (from Digiguide, apologies if already mentioned):

- Top Gear returns Sunday 27 January at 20:00, again forming a formidable combination with CTM.

- BBC One follows up Privates and Father Brown with another drama serial for the 14:15 slot from Monday 28 January: Moving On returns for a fourth series. I'm not sure if it's 5 or 10 episodes, but probably 5 as it dipped in the ratings last series. I must say it's welcome to see the daytime drama continuing. Previous performance:

S1 - May 2009: 5 eps averaged 1.25m/19.8% (1.41m/21.5% consolidated)
    S2 - Nov 2010: 10 eps averaged 1.31m/18.2% (1.49m/19.8%)
    S3 - Nov 2011: 5 eps averaged 1.12m/16.5% (1.25m/17.8%)

- Charlie Brooker arrives on BBC Two on Thursday 31 January at 22:00 with his Weekly Wipe.

- On Saturday 2 February, the Six Nations rugby runs from 15:30 to 18:00 on BBC One, followed by news for 15 minutes. (Final Score moves to BBC Two.) The 45 minutes from 18:15 before Britain's Brightest are currently blank. Both Animal Antics and Secret Service are absent, presumably replaced by a 45-minute show. Will they return in the same slots?
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I have a feeling Dallas will be split in the US with 9-10 episodes airing in the Winter/Spring and the remainder in the summer which is a common thing on US cable so I think when Dallas finishes, CSI will take over.

I wonder if they'll air season 2 of Person of Interest straight after season 1 or a short break between seasons to make way for Big Brother in the summer followed by Season 2 in August/September.
    God, I hope not. Split seasons are annoying as hell. It's going to take a long time for me to forgive AMC for mucking around with Breaking Bad's final season in the way that they have.

Re: Person of Interest. Hopefully straight into S2 but I suspect there'll be a short gap. At least the first episode back should inherit a strong lead-in from Spider-Man 3 which hasn't been shown at all by Five or any Freeview channel for that matter since 2010!
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Scheduling updates (from Digiguide, apologies if already mentioned):

- On Saturday 2 February, the Six Nations rugby runs from 15:30 to 18:00 on BBC One, followed by news for 15 minutes. (Final Score moves to BBC Two.) The 45 minutes from 18:15 before Britain's Brightest are currently blank. Both Animal Antics and Secret Service are absent, presumably replaced by a 45-minute show. Will they return in the same slots?

If the alternatives are Animal Antics or Secret Service, then leaving the slot blank is probably their best option.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just noticed that Question Time seemed to benefit from the 6.4m regional news lead-in: it had 3.23m/23.9%, and This Week collected 1.07m/15.3%.
    iaindb wrote: »
    If the alternatives are Animal Antics or Secret Service, then leaving the slot blank is probably their best option.:rolleyes:

Haha. Bring back the testcard! I quite like Secret Service though. :o
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking about the Saturday schedule, I see BBC1 are still trailing Britain's Brightest with the same trailer they used before the first episode.

If "Is this smile real or is it fake" wasn't an attraction to watch episode 1, you'd think they'd change it ahead of episode 3!
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat on the back for ITV on Inside Death Row.

Well deserved. If only they did more of this sort of thing!
    Was Trevor looking as uncomfortable as the Radio Times suggested? I always thought he looked uncomfortable with celebs at the National TV Awards, so I dread to think how he looked in a prison with a bunch of murderers! :D
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Talking about the Saturday schedule, I see BBC1 are still trailing Britain's Brightest with the same trailer they used before the first episode.

If "Is this smile real or is it fake" wasn't an attraction to watch episode 1, you'd think they'd change it ahead of episode 3!

Miranda and MBB aired the same trailer for their first three episodes.

I noticed tonight that every single continuity announcement on BBC1 tonight (save the news) featured some laboured snow reference. BBC1 has gone well and truly snow crazy tonight!

I think it has snowed before in the UK...
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Really impressive rating for inside Death Row last night. A 5 million average in itself is very good, but what stands out most for me is the growth across the hour, as shown in the 15 minute breakdown too:

21:00 - 4.54m (18.2%)
    21:15 - 4.98m (20.1%)
    21:30 - 5.15m (20.9%)
    21:45 - 5.23m (21.5%)

Also, it had 1.1m 16-34s watching. Silent Witness had 539k at the same time, and just for a bit of perspective, last Sunday's Dancing on Ice performances had 1.09m
    They need a way of combining the two. Send Schofield to prison? ;)
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need a way of combining the two. Send Schofield to prison? ;)

"Schofield on Death Row. For him to try out the chair call..."
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    but why take off TBBT at all? find another slot for HIMYM.
    If they pull the show for a few weeks after episode 10 it means they'll be able to run 14 episodes uninterrupted when it comes back. That would be preferable than running it until they run out of episodes and having to take it off the air and then only having a handful of new episodes to air when it returns.
    Charnham wrote: »
    TBH I think British viewers will have to accept the odd repeat here and there, if they want show fast tracked from the states quicker.
    I think British broadcasters need to re-examine fast tracking US imports. It doesn't seem to have much noticeable impact on ratings and scheduling the stuff from the broadcast networks is a pain. Or at the very least they need to introduce a recognisable scheduling pattern for the shows they fast track so that the audience knows what the hell is going on.
    I have a feeling Dallas will be split in the US with 9-10 episodes airing in the Winter/Spring and the remainder in the summer which is a common thing on US cable so I think when Dallas finishes, CSI will take over.
    Current scheduling has TNT running all 15 episodes of season two uninterrupted. Not sure if they'll actually stick with that though.
    Dancc wrote: »
    God, I hope not. Split seasons are annoying as hell. It's going to take a long time for me to forgive AMC for mucking around with Breaking Bad's final season in the way that they have.
    Well that's what happens when you have to raid the budget of other more commercially successful shows to keep airing a 60's set drama. You also end up having a relatively public argument with the creator and show runner on your most popular show that ends with him leaving the show. AMC is a walking disaster area.
    Re: Person of Interest. Hopefully straight into S2 but I suspect there'll be a short gap. At least the first episode back should inherit a strong lead-in from Spider-Man 3 which hasn't been shown at all by Five or any Freeview channel for that matter since 2010!
    Possibly because Spider-Man 3 is freaking awful. And no one in their right mind should want to watch it more than once.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Trevor looking as uncomfortable as the Radio Times suggested? I always thought he looked uncomfortable with celebs at the National TV Awards, so I dread to think how he looked in a prison with a bunch of murderers! :D

Louis Theroux did this type of show much better and please God don't remind me of his stint hosting The National Television Awards. Dermot is Mr Charisma compared to him and that's saying something!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »

Is it wrong that I laughed? :D
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I laughed? :D
    I roared! :D
  • Options
    FinalAnswer?FinalAnswer? Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how well Face the Clock is doing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Night two of American Idol in the US then. A 5.6 in the demo and just over 16 million viewers. That's even with last years night two which Fox can take as a positive sign. Last year had a huge drop off for its second night this year not so much. Although night two last year was also up against an original Big Bang Theory not the repeat it faced this year.

In other US ratings news a repeat of The Big Bang Theory was the number two show of the night. It beat an all original line-up on NBC and ABC. Yes a repeat of Big Bang (3.2) beat an original Grey's Anatomy (3.0) on ABC which says almost everything you need to know about the health of ABC's drama flagship. The Office continues to limp over the line for its final season with a 2.1.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/01/18/thursday-final-ratings-greys-anatomy-adjusted-up-rock-center-adjusted-down-no-adjustment-for-american-idol/165782/

In more interesting news the rather good Suits returned to USA with a rather good 1.2. Oprah's interview with Lance Armstrong had the same 1.2 in the demo. I expected it to do a little better than that to be honest. In better news than all of that though Archer (1.0) return well on FX and beat a double bill of Anger Management (0.7 and 0.8). I fear FX are really going to live to regret picking up another 90 episodes of Anger Management.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Night two of American Idol in the US then. A 5.6 in the demo and just over 16 million viewers. That's even with last years night two which Fox can take as a positive sign. Last year had a huge drop off for its second night this year not so much. Although night two last year was also up against an original Big Bang Theory not the repeat it faced this year.

In other US ratings news a repeat of The Big Bang Theory was the number two show of the night. It beat an all original line-up on NBC and ABC. Yes a repeat of Big Bang (3.2) beat an original Grey's Anatomy (3.0) on ABC which says almost everything you need to know about the health of ABC's drama flagship. The Office continues to limp over the line for its final season with a 2.1.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/01/18/thursday-final-ratings-greys-anatomy-adjusted-up-rock-center-adjusted-down-no-adjustment-for-american-idol/165782/

In more interesting news the rather good Suits returned to USA with a rather good 1.2. Oprah's interview with Lance Armstrong had the same 1.2 in the demo. I expected it to do a little better than that to be honest. In better news than all of that though Archer (1.0) return well on FX and beat a double bill of Anger Management (0.7 and 0.8). I fear FX are really going to live to regret picking up another 90 episodes of Anger Management.

Considering the competition I think the Oprah interview did well and it'll likely increase tonight, OWN has done well using Oprah for these interviews as it creates awareness of the channel.

I do wonder when they'll end Grey's even though its a solid performer, I think ABC will keep on Thursdays until Shonda Rhimes calls it a day.

Anger Management is going to air 45 episodes over two years, I don't think they pay a lot of it as I imagine most of the money will be from international sales and eventual syndication and it repeats well. The 10-90 model is risky but FX knew that when they picked up the show,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how well Face the Clock is doing?

278,433 for Face The Clock yesterday. It was last out of the 5 main channels in its timeslot I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anger Management is going to air 45 episodes over two years, I don't think they pay a lot of it as I imagine most of the money will be from international sales and eventual syndication and it repeats well. The 10-90 model is risky but FX knew that when they picked up the show,
    The numbers would have to tank for the show to become a financial disaster for FX. Not only does it repeat well but a large percentage of the cost for the back 90 is recouped from selling directly into syndication (domestic and international) which makes it relatively cheap as well. The problem is that cheap or not if the numbers drop from here and don't pick back up as syndication kicks in then they're going to have a pretty awkward job scheduling it without it dragging down their prime time averages. And it certainly doesn't look like it'll be the big launching pad show they wanted it to be.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    . Yes a repeat of Big Bang (3.2) beat an original Grey's Anatomy (3.0) on ABC which says almost everything you need to know about the health of ABC's drama flagship. .

Yes that it remains very healthy! Last year against no American Idol the same episode had a 3.5 (Fox had the Finder at 9 after a one hour Idol). So a 3.0 against American idol is pretty decent given that they share a similar skew. Big Bang repeating well is hardly news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    278,433 for Face The Clock yesterday. It was last out of the 5 main channels in its timeslot I think.

The 278k exc +1 was a fraction above its previous low last Thursday but the share is the worst yet (just below 3%).

Including +1, it had 307k and 3.3%, its lowest on both measures to date. Its first nine episodes have averaged 381k/4.3% inc +1, a share less than half the slot's norm of 8.8%.

No episode has managed to come better than 5th in its timeslot.

Yesterday's lost handily to Jeremy Kyle on ITV2, was pipped by Wycliffe on ITV3 and tied with a 1958 Ingrid Bergman movie on Film 4. That's 8th in the slot at best for Face the Clock.

It's a shame as I like Rory Bremner and enjoyed the first show, but I can't say I have been dying to watch again. Perhaps he'd better brush up on his impressions.
  • Options
    bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    ... Yesterday's lost handily to Jeremy Kyle on ITV2, was pipped by Wycliffe on ITV3 and tied with a 1958 Ingrid Bergman movie on Film 4. That's 8th in the slot at best for Face the Clock.
    This is from the email I sent to the production team after attending an audition last August:
    The idea of having rounds of unknown (to the contestants) length, makes the whole thing a complete lottery. It means that someone can be passed to, and the buzzer goes before they've even had a chance to answer a question, and they're out. You, or C4, really need to reconsider this aspect because as an experienced and avid quiz show watcher, I can tell you that in its present form it will bomb in the ratings. I certainly wouldn't want to spend time travelling to Glasgow to be on a show where you can be eliminated without even answering a question.
    Looks like I was right!
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 18th January 2013
    BBC One
    06:00 - Breakfast: 2.05m (39.2%)
    09:15 - Wanted Down Under: 1.69m (24.9%)
    10:00 - Homes Under The Hammer: 1.97m (27.1%)
    11:00 - The Sheriffs Are Coming: 1.71m (22.9%)
    11:45 - Cowboy Trap: 1.63m (20.8%)
    12:15 - Bargain Hunt: 2.70m (28.9%)
    13:00 - BBC News at Six: 4.58m (40.2%)
    13:30 - BBC Regional News: 4.87m (40.6%)
    13:45 - Doctors: 2.27m (19.8%)
    14:15 - Father Brown: 2.25m (20.1%)
    15:00 - Escape to the Country: 1.89m (16.1%)
    15:45 - Perfection: 1.68m (12.5%)
    16:30 - Antiques Road Trip: 2.68m (16.8%)
    17:15 - Pointless: 4.21m (21.5%)
    18:00 - BBC News at Six: 6.71m (29.2%)
    18:30 - BBC Regional News: 8.63m (35.6%)
    19:00 - The One Show: 5.75m (23.6%)
    19:30 - BBC News Special: 4.69m (18.2%)
    20:00 - EastEnders: 8.76m (34.1%)
    20:30 - Room 101: 3.99m (15.2%)
    21:00 - Silent Witness: 5.87m (22.7%)
    22:00 - BBC News at Ten: 5.46m (25.5%)
    22:25 - BBC Regional News: 5.51m (28.2%)

ITV
    06:00 - Daybreak: 852k (18.0%)
    08:30 - Lorraine: 1.29m (18.9%)
    09:25 - The Jeremy Kyle Show: 1.46m (21.1%)
    10:30 - This Morning: 1.24m (16.7%)
    11:25 - ITV News: 1.39m (18.6%)
    11:30 - This Morning: 1.54m (19.6%)
    12:30 - Loose Women: 1.43m (13.6%)
    13:30 - ITV News and Weather: 1.57m (13.3%)
    14:00 - Storage Hoarders: 1.46m (13.1%)
    15:00 - Dickinson's Real Deal: 1.84m (15.3%)
    16:00 - Tipping Point: 2.34m (16.2%)
    17:00 - The Chase: 3.99m (21.2%)
    18:00 - ITV Regional News: 5.12m (22.4%)
    18:30 - ITV News and Weather: 4.36m (18.0%)
    19:00 - Emmerdale: 7.79m (32.1%)
    19:30 - Coronation Street: 9.30m (36.1%)
    20:00 - Wild Britain with Ray Mears: 3.12m (12.2%)
    20:30 - Coronation Street: 9.21m (34.8%)
    21:00 - Great Night Out: 2.96m (11.5%)
    22:00 - ITV News at Ten: 2.11m (10.0%)

Channel 5
    21:00 - Celebrity Big Brother: 2.40m (9.2%)
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Celebrity Big Brother soared to 2.56m (9.8%) last night.

Massive peak of 2.88m (11.1%).
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Friday 18th January 2013
    BBC One
    17:15 - Pointless: 4.21m (21.5%)
    18:00 - BBC News at Six: 6.71m (29.2%)
    18:30 - BBC Regional News: 8.63m (35.6%)
    19:00 - The One Show: 5.75m (23.6%)
    19:30 - BBC News Special: 4.69m (18.2%)
    20:00 - EastEnders: 8.76m (34.1%)
    20:30 - Room 101: 3.99m (15.2%)
    21:00 - Silent Witness: 5.87m (22.7%)
    22:00 - BBC News at Ten: 5.46m (25.5%)
    22:25 - BBC Regional News: 5.51m (28.2%)

ITV
    19:00 - Emmerdale: 7.79m (32.1%)
    19:30 - Coronation Street: 9.30m (36.1%)
    20:00 - Wild Britain with Ray Mears: 3.12m (12.2%)
    20:30 - Coronation Street: 9.21m (34.8%)
    21:00 - Great Night Out: 2.96m (11.5%)

Channel 5
    21:00 - Celebrity Big Brother: 2.40m (9.2%)

Well the snow certainly seemed to have helped the One Show either that or people hadn't worked out the local regional news had finished.

Didn't snow here yesterday but it certainly is this morning.
This discussion has been closed.