Options

Inside Death Row

Comments

• Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone think that our Trev possibly wasn't the best choice for this programme? I know he's a national institution but I found his accent a distraction during the documentary.

I'd rather have seen Louis Theroux do it.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone think that our Trev possibly wasn't the best choice for this programme? I know he's a national institution but I found his accent a distraction during the documentary.

I'd rather have seen Louis Theroux do it.

Bloody love Louix. He doesn't do enough documentaries IMO. Howeveer Louis doesn't work for ITV.
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Bloody love Louix. He doesn't do enough documentaries IMO. Howeveer Louis doesn't work for ITV.

I agree, Louis is great! I've seen all his documentaries & wish he'd do more. Someone needs to sign him up to ITV pronto :D

I think Trevor just comes across as quintessentially English & a bit twee. Stereotypical maybe. I'm sure the prisoners were all totally bemused by him & maybe not as keen to open up more.

The documentary was typical BBC & just seemed dated maybe...
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Don't agree with the death penalty. Killing a killer makes you no better than they are. You are both murderers. Only difference is one is legalised murder and the other isn't. Besides keeping people waiting around for years not knowing if or when they will be legally murdered is more cruel than any spur of the moment killing. It's years of barbaric psychological torture followed by a killing.

Fine, lock em up for life. Make them suffer but how is killing someone gonna make anything any better. It's just eye for an eye revenge.
    That's what liberals told us when they got rid of the death penalty. Since then murderers now spend just 10 years and then released on parole. Justice?....HAHA lets ask the victims family .
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    That's what liberals told us when they got rid of the death penalty. Since then murderers now spend just 10 years and then released on parole. Justice?....HAHA lets ask the victims family .

I've read somewhere that the average time a murderer spends in jail is around 15 years before being released on licence. I do think that there would be less calls for the DP to return over here if people thought that life actually meant life behind bars.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,071
    Forum Member
    The length from sentence to death varies from country to country. In American it will take many years, whereas in other countries it can be much sooner, eg places like Iran and China.

In Japan, people only find out they will be executed on the day of the execution!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the programme too and I felt so sorry for the man who was put on death row when he was 15 years old he committed the crime when he was 13 years old. I really felt badly for him.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    green855 wrote: »
    I watched the programme too and I felt so sorry for the man who was put on death row when he was 15 years old he committed the crime when he was 13 years old. I really felt badly for him.

Me too. Chances are he was on a bad path already, but wow. Death row should be reserved for those who are truly irredeemably evil rather than just bad and stupid and that young.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member

I felt for him too.

I think the DP should be abolished, its barbaric
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bex78 wrote: »
    I felt for him too.

He came across very well in the documentary he seemed like a decent self educated person. If it were up to me I'd release him. I wouldn't hold him responsible for a crime he committed as a child.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they are guilty then they should be left to rot inside, should it take 40 years or 50 years, a murderer regardless of age should never be released. If they are serial killers then they should be given a hefty sentence followed by the injection. No new identities no police protection. The only way they should be allowed to leave jail is in a box.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He came across very well in the documentary he seemed like a decent self educated person. If it were up to me I'd release him. I wouldn't hold him responsible for a crime he committed as a child.

A lot of psychopaths are quite charming and know how to play people, that they seem nice isn't a reason to let people out!
    He still did a terrible thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    A lot of psychopaths are quite charming and know how to play people, that they seem nice isn't a reason to let people out!
    He still did a terrible thing.

Yes at aged 13 he committed that crime he was a child.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »

In Japan, people only find out they will be executed on the day of the execution!

Yes the Japanese adore surprises!!

Can't imagine many folk get executed there though.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,510
    Forum Member
    Yes the Japanese adore surprises!!

Can't imagine many folk get executed there though.

A quick bit of research shows that there are 135 prisoners in Japan currently awaiting (by hanging), although only 5 executions have taken place in the past 3 years.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't think the death penalty should exist any more. It has no place in a civilised society and is probably the "easy way out" for many prisoners. Let them rot inside. A life sentence without the possibility of parole is better and probably more effective.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the death penalty is what the UK needs - or at the very least longer prison sentences, as it stands now, the UK is pathetic when it comes to punishment, murderers should be locked up and the key should be thrown away, they shouldn't be coddled and have their every need seen to and then released after a pathetic amount of time.

The prison system is a disgrace, but the judges are even more of a disgrace, it has gotten to the stage where you'd probably get more time behind bars for verbally or racially abusing someone over the internet than actually murdering someone.
  • Options
    Mr. BlueskyMr. Bluesky Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I think they should be shot in the back of the head with a pistol within a few weeks. Its about getting rid of people rather than prevention.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I found that really difficult to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I was too busy thinking about the families of the 2 old women he killed.

All killers can appear nice and normal at times. he should have been killed long ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should be shot in the back of the head with a pistol within a few weeks. Its about getting rid of people rather than prevention.

What a lovely person you are.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member

He wasn't on death row, he got 170 years (He told Trevor he would be aged 100 before being eligible for parole)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »
    What a lovely person you are.

I am realistic when with death and people who kill people. I am lovely when dealing with dinner parties and shopping.:)
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bex78 wrote: »
    I felt for him too.

He wasnt on death row
    Never Nude wrote: »
    I found that really difficult to watch.

Can I ask why

I keep hearing the term barbaric but you klnow the rules when you get in to crime over there..So if you take your chance and lose...sorry but thats the way it goes

You come home from work and find your partner and kids dead

is the setence barbaric now..?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am realistic when with death and people who kill people. I am lovely when dealing with dinner parties and shopping.:)

Wanting the death penalty is not about realism, its about wanting to satisfy a knee jerk reaction. Nothing more.