Options

eHarmony

Comments

• Options
    Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmcoo7 wrote: »
    Mine are usually like robots, with less feelings and emotions :)

I'm interested in how, as a man, you view women's profiles and filter them for suitability. Not to shoot you down or anything, just to get a bit of insight in what you look out for and the types of thing that attract you or put you off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Dawn Sun wrote: »
    I'm interested in how, as a man, you view women's profiles and filter them for suitability. Not to shoot you down or anything, just to get a bit of insight in what you look out for and the types of thing that attract you or put you off.

I have never done it, never looked online for anyone just kinda happened. However i would first look at the sort of hobbies they do , see if it interests me in any way.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grotbags1 wrote: »
    are you in London? the dating pool in the north west is very shallow, I have seen the same men on all 3 sites.

Which sites?

From my experience some individual sites sites below the obvious top two or three) all seem to be part of a larger conglomerate of a dating site. Even though the sites are for different things they might lump all the profiles together, as it makes things look better.

Its at best naff and misleading and at worst downright dishonest if they're all shown together but profiles from X can't contact profiles from Y etc.

Might explain why you're seeing all the same men!

Although it might just be as you say a very small pool.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Which sites?

From my experience some individual sites sites below the obvious top two or three) all seem to be part of a larger conglomerate of a dating site. Even though the sites are for different things they might lump all the profiles together, as it makes things look better.

Its at best naff and misleading and at worst downright dishonest if they're all shown together but profiles from X can't contact profiles from Y etc.

Might explain why you're seeing all the same men!

Although it might just be as you say a very small pool.

This is on Match, POF and Oasis. When I was on Match, and it showed potential matches, it was just the same faces over and over again, I don't trust their search engines at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never done it, never looked online for anyone just kinda happened. However i would first look at the sort of hobbies they do , see if it interests me in any way.

did you join the thread just to gripe about women then ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    did you join the thread just to gripe about women then ;)

No lol was thinking of it as a future option one day, and to gripe about women :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No lol was thinking of it as a future option one day, and to gripe about women :cool:

hehe, I will let you off then :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    How are we all today? Anyone got any hot dates lined up?
  • Options
    WoofyWoofy Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are we all today? Anyone got any hot dates lined up?
    Nope, nothing for me so far. I've had a few alerts from match to say "somebody has viewed your profile" though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woofy wrote: »
    Nope, nothing for me so far. I've had a few alerts from match to say "somebody has viewed your profile" though.

are you going to subscribe?

I had a chat this morning with someone on pof and we both said we'd like to chat to each other again with a view to meeting up. so that sounds promising :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    are you going to subscribe?

I had a chat this morning with someone on pof and we both said we'd like to chat to each other again with a view to meeting up. so that sounds promising :)

That sounds good. What sort of things does he like? Lets hear his vital stats!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds good. What sort of things does he like? Lets hear his vital stats!:D

hehe, so his profile says he likes to listen to live music, eat in nice restaurants, keeping in shape etc. This morning we chatted about our jobs as we work in the same industry and what we did/doing this weekend, internet dating in general and our stories of being single etc.

He mentiond how bad POF is as he mentioned that the women who get rude (as in sex rude) in their messages, and he's not the first man to say that to me about that site, so the women are just as bad as some men! I wouldn't dream of messaging a stranger rudey things :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hehe, so his profile says he likes to listen to live music, eat in nice restaurants, keeping in shape etc. This morning we chatted about our jobs as we work in the same industry and what we did/doing this weekend, internet dating in general and our stories of being single etc.

He mentiond how bad POF is as he mentioned that the women who get rude (as in sex rude) in their messages, and he's not the first man to say that to me about that site, so the women are just as bad as some men! I wouldn't dream of messaging a stranger rudey things :o

Blimey!:eek: in the past I've had guys send me rude message like that straight off, one of then even said to me 'hey, you look sexy, so tell me what you prefer, skin or condom?':eek: needless to say I blocked him sharpish!

He sounds good so far, especially if you have things in common.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey!:eek: in the past I've had guys send me rude message like that straight off, one of then even said to me 'hey, you look sexy, so tell me what you prefer, skin or condom?':eek: needless to say I blocked him sharpish!

He sounds good so far, especially if you have things in common.

:mad: oh my word, I've never had anything like that. Gross!

I think he does sound good so far, so I'll see how the next chat goes. There's not much else doing on POF though, but I'll keep looking as well.

Are you still taking a break whilst you get yourself in shape? I think it was you who was doing that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :mad: oh my word, I've never had anything like that. Gross!

I think he does sound good so far, so I'll see how the next chat goes. There's not much else doing on POF though, but I'll keep looking as well.

Are you still taking a break whilst you get yourself in shape? I think it was you who was doing that?

Well at least you've got something on the go!
    Yes I know, one bloke sent me a message saying 'so, you looking to get married?' That was his opening gambit. A little forward I thought :D

Yea, will probably get back on it end of feb, beginning of march as I think you need to be in the right frame of mind too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at least you've got something on the go!
    Yes I know, one bloke sent me a message saying 'so, you looking to get married?' That was his opening gambit. A little forward I thought :D

Yea, will probably get back on it end of feb, beginning of march as I think you need to be in the right frame of mind too.

fair enough, always best to be in the right frame of mind :)

I will keep you posted on any developments
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing much to report on my part. I've just spent the weekend relaxing and battling a sore throat - not been in the mood to look online.

The guy who cancelled on me last Tuesday texted me randomly on Friday asking what I've got planned for the weekend. I haven't bothered replying yet, may text him tomorrow. Maybe one of his other options fell through so he has got back in touch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Nothing much to report on my part. I've just spent the weekend relaxing and battling a sore throat - not been in the mood to look online.

The guy who cancelled on me last Tuesday texted me randomly on Friday asking what I've got planned for the weekend. I haven't bothered replying yet, may text him tomorrow. Maybe one of his other options fell through so he has got back in touch.

hope you're feeling better soon. re that guy and his random text, I'd have had the same thoughts :( are we too cynical?
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hope you're feeling better soon. re that guy and his random text, I'd have had the same thoughts :( are we too cynical?

Thanks grotbags1. I think as you said before, it's good to be questioning. I used to get annoyed by this kind of stuff from internet guys before; now I just deprioritise them just as they have me.

Good to hear you're chatting with someone else. At least your guys are keen on meeting up - mine just seem to hide behind their profiles or text messages.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really admire anyone who has the patience to look through all these online profiles, make the effort to message these men, go on dates etc. I just can't be bothered to make the effort :(
  • Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dawn Sun wrote: »
    This is exactly what I don't like about online dating. Deciding whether or not you 'like' someone is based on fairly arbitary criteria that just doesn't exist if you met someone in person.

When you think about it, deciding on whether you are suited to someone based on a few lines of text and a 2D representation seems rather silly. Not only that but the age thing, we might decide we 'want' people of a certain age, but like you say we don't start questioning people about it and if someone looks a lot younger or older than they are and you like them and the two of you suit each other, you know fit together as a couple :), what's age got to do with it anyway?

I agree with this too. I met my someone online by accident in a book forum. On paper he likely would have been a total no no- disabled, much younger than me, living 150 miles away.
    However- none of that was remotely relevant because he was lovely, made me laugh all the time, and could talk to me for hours. We were seeing each other every other weekend, and for some longer periods where we could manage it, for 14 months, got engaged, moved in together. Now we've been together for nearly two years and we get married in 4 weeks.

The thing is, from a profile, we probably wouldn't have touched each other with a barge pole. Totally different politics, different interests, very different family backgrounds, totally wrong age bracket and so on. We like some of the same books and have the same thoughts on religion and family, but that's it. Relationships are more than that though, I guess, which is why it works :)

Edit: I meant to say that I considered online dating, but I was way too chicken!
  • Options
    Feed The ReaperFeed The Reaper Posts: 7,135
    Forum Member
    Not being funny but if you can't pull from POF then your doing something MASSIVELY wrong!

I am no fantastic looking guy but I went on there for 2 weeks and had dozens of people message me.

How? Simples, write a really easy going, friendly, descriptive, very positive and mostly funny profile that makes a girl giggle and think "wow he is a bit different"
    Don't bother adding more than a couple of genuine photo's of your face (NO topless shots) because the more you add, the worse your likely to look
    Then make sure you tick the box that says "Let users see you browsed their profile" button......

Then go browsing all the girls..... just click on each profile, looking at their pics and having a read. Eventually a few of them will look back at yours (curiosity in women is a bitch) and when they do (by checking in the VIEWED ME) bit,....... write to them saying something like "Hey, saw you checked my profile, wanted to say Hello and say thanks for peeking. How are you finding the site so far, any successes yet?"

7 times out of 10 they write back (most girls I chat to say they receive 1 nice email for every 8 pervy ones) and then just chat to them, light hearted, friendly, a bit of non-sexual humour and your well away!
    And for gods sake do not mention your willy, photo's, sex questions, etc unless SHE leads with that stuff! Girls will sniff out desperate sex attempts very quickly and rip you a new hole before blocking you! If your after that stuff, be patient and let them lead..... if you show your a nice guy and fun to chat to, they will soon move the subject to sexy topics as most on their are gagging for it but dont like to show it or be asked it...... but even when they broach sexual subjects, play coy and a tiny bit innocent but open minded so they lead and control the chat. That way they will offer to do things to you that you (apparently) never tried!

If you cant get a girlfriend/laid out of those tips you seriously need to consider something new to try because its near foolproof! (Either that or I am the Romeo of the Online Dating culture!)

PS - I put NOT SINGLE and looking for FRIENDS on my profile and STILL got decent looking girls flirting with me wanting to chat and get to know me!
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put NOT SINGLE and looking for FRIENDS

I always think that people use the "just looking for friends" line because they then don't have the bother of letting the person know whether or not they're attracted to them when they meet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not being funny but if you can't pull from POF then your doing something MASSIVELY wrong!

I am no fantastic looking guy but I went on there for 2 weeks and had dozens of people message me.

How? Simples, write a really easy going, friendly, descriptive, very positive and mostly funny profile that makes a girl giggle and think "wow he is a bit different"
    Don't bother adding more than a couple of genuine photo's of your face (NO topless shots) because the more you add, the worse your likely to look
    Then make sure you tick the box that says "Let users see you browsed their profile" button......

Then go browsing all the girls..... just click on each profile, looking at their pics and having a read. Eventually a few of them will look back at yours (curiosity in women is a bitch) and when they do (by checking in the VIEWED ME) bit,....... write to them saying something like "Hey, saw you checked my profile, wanted to say Hello and say thanks for peeking. How are you finding the site so far, any successes yet?"

7 times out of 10 they write back (most girls I chat to say they receive 1 nice email for every 8 pervy ones) and then just chat to them, light hearted, friendly, a bit of non-sexual humour and your well away!
    And for gods sake do not mention your willy, photo's, sex questions, etc unless SHE leads with that stuff! Girls will sniff out desperate sex attempts very quickly and rip you a new hole before blocking you! If your after that stuff, be patient and let them lead..... if you show your a nice guy and fun to chat to, they will soon move the subject to sexy topics as most on their are gagging for it but dont like to show it or be asked it...... but even when they broach sexual subjects, play coy and a tiny bit innocent but open minded so they lead and control the chat. That way they will offer to do things to you that you (apparently) never tried!

If you cant get a girlfriend/laid out of those tips you seriously need to consider something new to try because its near foolproof! (Either that or I am the Romeo of the Online Dating culture!)

PS - I put NOT SINGLE and looking for FRIENDS on my profile and STILL got decent looking girls flirting with me wanting to chat and get to know me!

I think if you've read the thread, not many on there have actually tried POF as they're not taken with that's on there as well as it being a complete meat market. I think it's only me that's on it (but I'm weeding out the seedy blokes), I don't have a problem attracting people on there, they're just not very good quality people.

Why do you want to have sexy chat with strangers if you've got someone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I always think that people use the "just looking for friends" line because they then don't have the bother of letting the person know whether or not they're attracted to them when they meet.

That and they're not single.