Options

Least favourite womans name?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    The wave of Harry's, Oliver's, Alfie's, Amelia's, Amelie's and Lily's is finally drying up, and another wave starts to come in - Edie, Elsie, Matilda, Betty, Bertie, Marnie, Ted.. there is a strong chance that they will also end up being addressed by their surname initial!

I HATE the name Ted or worse, Teddy. Teddie for a girl is perhaps worse.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    I HATE the name Ted or worse, Teddy. Teddie for a girl is perhaps worse.

There's the name Deddie which is just as bad!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I can't stand old fashioned sounding names like
    Ethel- I was shocked that lily Allen called her daughter that.
    Marjorie
    Enid
    Gretchen
    Olga
    Maud
    Prudence
    Dolly
    Deirdre
    All very unattractive names in my opinion
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just learnt from an email invitation to a christening that a friend's newborn has been named Coco. This makes her the tenth newborn in four years to be given that name. I'm feeling a bit peeved because I know I'll have a problem tracking 10 little girls named Coco. FML.

Yup, Coco is now on my list of least favourite names.

Edit: There's a note I missed in the email. It says the name is a tribute to Coco Chanel. Shouldn't that be Gabrielle Chanel? God, this makes me feel so irrationally cranky.
  • Options
    HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georgina
  • Options
    n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the Irish womens names are horrible.

Siobhan - Shevawn
    Niamh - Neeve
    Bláithín - Blaw-Heen

To name but a few.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    n1guy wrote: »

Siobhan - Shevawn
    Niamh - Neeve
    Bláithín - Blaw-Heen

To name but a few.

When pronounced properly they are beautiful . We like them here as we understand them. Niamh for example is not Neeve its more Neeav , said properly it beautifull
    Blaithin means little flower , so the sound it lovely for us .
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    n1guy wrote: »

Siobhan - Shevawn
    Niamh - Neeve
    Bláithín - Blaw-Heen

To name but a few.

I love the way Niamh sounds but I hate the way it's spelt. It doesn't look right, but then I'm not Irish so I guess it's not gonna look right to me.

If I ever have another child (not likely) and it's a girl, I'd probably call her Ellie or Ava. I really like those names. I'd find it more of a struggle choosing a boys name, though I quite like Sam so I'd maybe go with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I love the way Niamh sounds but I hate the way it's spelt. It doesn't look right, but then I'm not Irish so I guess it's not gonna look right to me.

If I ever have another child (not likely) and it's a girl, I'd probably call her Ellie or Ava. I really like those names. I'd find it more of a struggle choosing a boys name, though I quite like Sam so I'd maybe go with that.

We know theat mh becomes V , the same as you know tough is tuff or enough is enuf !! So it makes sense to us .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I have just learnt from an email invitation to a christening that a friend's newborn has been named Coco. This makes her the tenth newborn in four years to be given that name. I'm feeling a bit peeved because I know I'll have a problem tracking 10 little girls named Coco. FML.

Yup, Coco is now on my list of least favourite names.

Edit: There's a note I missed in the email. It says the name is a tribute to Coco Chanel. Shouldn't that be Gabrielle Chanel? God, this makes me feel so irrationally cranky.

God poor wee soul. Imagine being a 24 yr old Coco. She will prob hate her name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really dislike all those chavvy "K" names:

Keeley, Kerry, Kelly, Katie, Kylie, Kyrie, Khloe, Kasey etc.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    I still loathe the name Mavis, would anyone who is sane call their little girl Mavis? Even Gertrude is better than Mavis, Trudie is quite acceptable but what would you do with Mavis? Mav? Vis? There's no way to pretty it up, Mavis it is and Mavis it shall ever remain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We know theat mh becomes V , the same as you know tough is tuff or enough is enuf !! So it makes sense to us .

Is mh always pronounced as v in Irish, then? Are there any other pronunciations that are different to English?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I still loathe the name Mavis, would anyone who is sane call their little girl Mavis? Even Gertrude is better than Mavis, Trudie is quite acceptable but what would you do with Mavis? Mav? Vis? There's no way to pretty it up, Mavis it is and Mavis it shall ever remain.

I'm not sure I agree with you on that! :eek:

If I knew a Mavis I'd probably call her Mav (pronounced Mave).
    But for anyone with that name, there must be no escaping the Mavis from Coronation Street impressions! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Is mh always pronounced as v in Irish, then? Are there any other pronunciations that are different to English?

Bh becomes V too its the H after them that makes them hard . It used to be a dot over the m or b or c and that changed the pronounciation .But when typewriter came about they had no means to make the dot over a letter and so it was changed to a mh , or bh , or ch instead

Also the "fada " sign over a letter ie. é or á means "long " and it lenghtens the letter so eeeee or aaaaa or iiiii
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    I really dislike all those chavvy "K" names:

Keeley, Kerry, Kelly, Katie, Kylie, Kyrie, Khloe, Kasey etc.

:o I didn't consider it to be "chavvy" haha
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    God poor wee soul. Imagine being a 24 yr old Coco. She will prob hate her name.

:D Oh, but imagine what it would be like them at school. So many potential nicknames. Poor kids.
  • Options
    princesarock12princesarock12 Posts: 1,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, forgot Gemma/Jemma - really dislike this name. Also Chloe and Lauren, waaaaay too popular to be nice.
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how is una healeys baby name pronounced? its Aoife?
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »

I've read that it's pronounced as 'Ee-fa'.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »

Eefa.
  • Options
    citiuscitius Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    For some strange reason I really loathe the name Ellie. In the same vein I also don't like Millie, Tilly, Maisie and Daisy. Complete lack of imagination shown with these names.

I would call my child a nice strong European name like Lars for a boy or Asta for a girl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    citius wrote: »
    For some strange reason I really loathe the name Ellie. In the same vein I also don't like Millie, Tilly, Maisie and Daisy. Complete lack of imagination shown with these names.

I would call my child a nice strong European name like Lars for a boy or Asta for a girl.

Lack of imagination ? Or maybe just people who like different names to you ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    I've read that it's pronounced as 'Ee-fa'.

Wow I really really like that name. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, forgot Gemma/Jemma - really dislike this name.

Me too. Very chav.