Options

Ellie Goulding Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New Ellie fan of recently

Loving Halcyon so much, plus can't stop listening to Guns & Horses and The Writer from her debut
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New Ellie fan of recently

Loving Halcyon so much, plus can't stop listening to Guns & Horses and The Writer from her debut

Two of my favourites The Writer is also my favourite video of hers :) but favourite song overall Fighter Planes the b-side of Under The Sheets.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would anyone class Ellie under for Itunes?

I was thinking Pop or Alternative? Some class her as Indie pop but i don't do sub genres on my itunes.
  • Options
    19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listened to the album in full for the first time on Monday.

Flawless except for one track which I dont like called Deadwater.

Theirs always one song I dont like when I buy albums lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was thinking Pop or Alternative? Some class her as Indie pop but i don't do sub genres on my itunes.

I'd say indie pop, Alternative, or Dance/Electronica she kind of defies general classification but for me indie pop or alternative fits best if you have to put a label on it :)

And Dead in the water one of my favourite tracks makes the album come full circle for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So with Explosions on a regularly seen advert and rising up the iTunes chart so she jump on this opportunity and make her next single. I for one love it and its one of my absolute favourites off the album and is one of the best ballads plus after two upbeats a Ballad seems like a great next move and now with ample opportunity she would be a fool to let it go. Also if in the future she does decide to release it it will most likely flop like paloma's Just Be as most DL during its stint on TV.
  • Options
    BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    I was wondering why it was so high on itunes! She needs to jump at this opportunity, I expect an annoucement on it soon considering Figure 8 did not go to plan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    I was wondering why it was so high on itunes! She needs to jump at this opportunity, I expect an annoucement on it soon considering Figure 8 did not go to plan

Figure 8 was affected by minimal Radio and Promo and being released in december when competition is huge. Also ACH continued to rise and fall and get the spotlight its a shame Figure 8 deserved better :(. But yeah Explosions is on the ITV drama promo and featured quite heavily so she needs to jump on it send it to Radio and get a video filmed ASAP coud do so well this time of year and its a great single choice. Plus i don't want it tobe a missed opportuunity like Just be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Figure 8 was affected by minimal Radio and Promo and being released in december when competition is huge. Also ACH continued to rise and fall and get the spotlight its a shame Figure 8 deserved better :(. But yeah Explosions is on the ITV drama promo and featured quite heavily so she needs to jump on it send it to Radio and get a video filmed ASAP coud do so well this time of year and its a great single choice. Plus i don't want it tobe a missed opportuunity like Just be.

I think naturally these girls are not singles artists, Paloma could have had a lot of success with Just Be but the one that springs to mind is Upside Down, everybody knows that song yet still it never managed top 40 despite featuring on so many ads, tv shows and even the film Chalet Girl.

I agree though, Figure 8 was released too early, ACH had not reached a natural conclusion due to Christmas plus it's a risky time to bring out something new. As I said on another thread Guns and Horses, The Writer and Lights were not runaway hits either
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think naturally these girls are not singles artists, Paloma could have had a lot of success with Just Be but the one that springs to mind is Upside Down, everybody knows that song yet still it never managed top 40 despite featuring on so many ads, tv shows and even the film Chalet Girl.

I agree though, Figure 8 was released too early, ACH had not reached a natural conclusion due to Christmas plus it's a risky time to bring out something new. As I said on another thread Guns and Horses, The Writer and Lights were not runaway hits either

I agree and add Florence to the list. These girls are mainly albums artist and the singles only ever really serve to the further the album campaign. And agreed it needed to be released sooner rather than later i think say 3 weeks after the album and just before the xmas rush. And Lights well big everywhere else but here and the others again disappointing and her most poor single Your Song her biggest selling annoying (uk wise i think Lights overall which again is just weird as it was not a hit here.). so now with an opportunity for at least a big top 20 top 10 at a push bloody well release it Ellie :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree and add Florence to the list. These girls are mainly albums artist and the singles only ever really serve to the further the album campaign. And agreed it needed to be released sooner rather than later i think say 3 weeks after the album and just before the xmas rush. And Lights well big everywhere else but here and the others again disappointing and her most poor single Your Song her biggest selling annoying (uk wise i think Lights overall which again is just weird as it was not a hit here.). so now with an opportunity for at least a big top 20 top 10 at a push bloody well release it Ellie :D

Florence is an odd one, she's a hit and miss for example No Light, No Light not performing very well at all then Spectrum going to #1 plus the first single What The Water Gave Me is totally unheard of single wise, suppose it was the remix by Calvin Harris though I prefer the original

Yeah, I avoid Your Song now, it was nice when she performed it when I went to see her but I've not listened to it since like 2011 I think :o at least Anything Could Happen was a big success very much following in Starry Eyed's footsteps, perhaps Ellie will follow in Florence's footsteps and hand a single over to be remixed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Florence is an odd one, she's a hit and miss for example No Light, No Light not performing very well at all then Spectrum going to #1 plus the first single What The Water Gave Me is totally unheard of single wise, suppose it was the remix by Calvin Harris though I prefer the original

Yeah, I avoid Your Song now, it was nice when she performed it when I went to see her but I've not listened to it since like 2011 I think :o at least Anything Could Happen was a big success very much following in Starry Eyed's footsteps, perhaps Ellie will follow in Florence's footsteps and hand a single over to be remixed?

Spectrum without Calvin would never have been number 1 she has always had great remixes that one just resonated better and his named helped it to crossover huugely. And i think if INYL is released it will do great things for her it's not liek she has had no hits again odd like Florence either big hits Starry eyed etc or misses Figure 8. Buti just want her to use this opportunity would love to see a video for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spectrum without Calvin would never have been number 1 she has always had great remixes that one just resonated better and his named helped it to crossover huugely. And i think if INYL is released it will do great things for her it's not liek she has had no hits again odd like Florence either big hits Starry eyed etc or misses Figure 8. Buti just want her to use this opportunity would love to see a video for it.

Single choices are actually proving difficult, I could see pretty much every song off the standard version of Halcyon as a single, they'd all sound good on the radio and make for good videos, it would be good if she followed the Beyonce/Lana blueprint and did videos for most songs regardless of single release.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Single choices are actually proving difficult, I could see pretty much every song off the standard version of Halcyon as a single, they'd all sound good on the radio and make for good videos, it would be good if she followed the Beyonce/Lana blueprint and did videos for most songs regardless of single release.

I agree there a definite singles in IKYC, HO, Atlantis, Explosions, Only You and with great video's and promo could really further album sales and boost her profile. American single choices are more difficult as Lights showed what may be a hit here may not be there. And i hat the Lana/Beyonce bluprint for me Katy Perry and her old school approach works much better as anticiaption builds and you have a clear idea of what is the single and they have greater success rather than no on knowing and a huge swathe of flops LOT, Countdown could have been so much bigger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree there a definite singles in IKYC, HO, Atlantis, Explosions, Only You and with great video's and promo could really further album sales and boost her profile. American single choices are more difficult as Lights showed what may be a hit here may not be there. And i hat the Lana/Beyonce bluprint for me Katy Perry and her old school approach works much better as anticiaption builds and you have a clear idea of what is the single and they have greater success rather than no on knowing and a huge swathe of flops LOT, Countdown could have been so much bigger.

Joy for me would be a beautiful single, I think in terms of America, My Blood or Hanging On would be a good shout though it's hard to predict. Anything Could Happen had another surge over there recently. I have to admit I did like Katy Perry's videos, they all had story lines and kept you entertained, nothing throwaway though I found it hard to believe that Wide Awake belonged to the same album family as California Gurls
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joy for me would be a beautiful single, I think in terms of America, My Blood or Hanging On would be a good shout though it's hard to predict. Anything Could Happen had another surge over there recently. I have to admit I did like Katy Perry's videos, they all had story lines and kept you entertained, nothing throwaway though I found it hard to believe that Wide Awake belonged to the same album family as California Gurls

Joy would indeed be beautiful tapping into the resurgence in ballads of late :) And i think figure 8, My Blood, or HO could indeed do well, And i hope it peaks higher than 47 though Lights showed us anything could happen :p And i think she absolutely nailed itno pretence or pomp like Gaga just got on with it. And i get you Part of Me too they felt more like stand alones though in reality they are just add ons to the original so to be expected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Explosions and Only You will be the next two singles. I did think Only You would be released first, but might be better to release Explosions first. The only problem is that it's like the rest of the album - it's a grower, and it takes a long time to build. Maybe an edit would be a good idea? I find the first verse a bit non-descript and lyrically quite weak, but everything from the first chorus onwards is amazing - it's actually my favourite song from Halcyon. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How to edit Explosions though unlike ACH i can't see an easy way to do it without butchering it in some respects. And as the first verse/chrous is on the advert and is doing well i don't see why it shouldn't be left alone. I can see a radio edit maybe dropping the last thirty seconds and the instrumental between the final bridge but for me i think its fine as it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just heard this for the first time off Halcyon (Special Edition).

The End- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mhVynE8nEY
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just saw a promo copy of Halcyon (special Edition) with all the extra bonus tracks from all the varying versions i wish i could get my hands on it. TBH it would have made a better deluxe versiona nd could have been double disc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member

I put her first album as folktronica, and put Halcyon as indie pop. :) She's borderline quite a few genres, so you can't just box her like other singers. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Explosions has been around #40 on itunes for the last day or so, surely this means it is the next single?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Explosions has been around #40 on itunes for the last day or so, surely this means it is the next single?

I know right but still no official announcement what is she waiting for :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know right but still no official announcement what is she waiting for :confused:

I suppose with Figure 8 only actually being officially released at the end of December, maybe it is too early? But as we've said, there's no hope for Figure 8 so she may as well seize this single opportunity, it's been handed to her on a plate with ITV showing interest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose with Figure 8 only actually being officially released at the end of December, maybe it is too early? But as we've said, there's no hope for Figure 8 so she may as well seize this single opportunity, it's been handed to her on a plate with ITV showing interest

DELETED:DOUBLE POST