Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay Lee wrote: »
    Britain's Brightest... I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's just too worthy and dry to be on Saturday nights. It's also so cynically produced - you can just see the producers saying, "I know - we'll liven up the maths game by bringing in star guests like Diversity and we'll have some Z list celebs for the weight game". Clare Balding made a joke about the Saturday scheduling on Graham Norton this week - he pointed out that it seemed out of place on Saturday nights... the joke is on her and the BBC for ever thinking this would take off.

I agree.

If it does return then we can safely say the ideas bucket is empty. The Magicians and now Britains Brightest are the latest in a line of shows not to be the next big thing. BBC1 is doing very well overall at the start of this year but the Saturday night trio hasnt contributed much.
  • Options
    Jay LeeJay Lee Posts: 4,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bargepole wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - the ratings would be higher if the BBC promoted the show properly.

They shot themselves in the foot by letting Chris Evans have Vernon Kay on The One Show in Week 2 to promote Splash, They failed to advertise the fact that guests such as Diversity, or Aliona from SCD, would be on the show, so only those viewers who started watching were aware of those appearances. And, on Graham Norton, it would have been an ideal opportunity to show a couple of clips, but instead they concentrated on showing bits of the film starring Minnie Driver and Stephen Merchant.

That's true, I suppose. I watched a bit of that One Show when Vernon Kay was on and - somebody correct me if I am wrong - I'm pretty sure the BBC had Chris Evans say something like "He's (Kay) presenting the biggest show on television!". Not only factually wrong but unbelievable of the BBC to allow their own programme to promote the opposition a night before broadcast in such a hyperbolic way. I can cope with them having itv guests on but that was fawning at Kay and itv's feet.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,677
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Channel 5 are going to miss CBB, for sure.
    Well, obviously. They have nothing else that can bring in 2m a night.

But I wouldn't read too much into last night's figures as it was a weak lineup they put out, with the main feature of the evening badly scheduled. Their post-CBB schedule doesn't start to kick in properly until tonight.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Splash is not really a hit. Stick that on against any competition and it would have rated much lower. Are the bake off figures any good? It was repeated at 7pm on two. I still say that should have been used by bbc one on saturday evenings

What if next January, BBC1 did this against Splash!:

5.30pm Film: Up!/Shrek Forever After/How to Train Your Dragon/Alice in Wonderland etc.

7.00 The Great British Bake Off for Sport Relief
    8.00 Tonights The Night
    8.50 The National Lottery Draws
    9.00 Ripper Street

What would the figures "Splash" got look like then?
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »

5.30pm Film: Up!/Shrek Forever After/How to Train Your Dragon/Alice in Wonderland etc.

8.00 Tonights The Night
    9.00 Ripper Street

Baking is a sport now? I know this thread encourages mad theories, but this is taking the biscuit (or cake)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Baking is a sport now? I know this thread encourages mad theories, but this is taking the biscuit (or cake)?

Baking isn't a Sport. You know damn well it isn't. But neither is dancing but Let's Dance covers both Comic and Sport Relief. Some programmesw that are popular are able to have special charity runs. There is no reason why a popular show can't raise awareness for a charity. Bake off isn't a comedy show either btw.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Well, obviously. They have nothing else that can bring in 2m a night.

But I wouldn't read too much into last night's figures as it was a weak lineup they put out, with the main feature of the evening badly scheduled. Their post-CBB schedule doesn't start to kick in properly until tonight.

Just wondering - should Channel 5 have done a 'Celebrity Big Brother Review' show reviewing the series? Pretty sure a review show would get ~1.5m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baking isn't a Sport. You know damn well it isn't. But neither is dancing but Let's Dance covers both Comic and Sport Relief. Some programmesw that are popular are able to have special charity runs. There is no reason why a popular show can't raise awareness for a charity. Bake off isn't a comedy show either btw.

You mean celebrities baking in prime time on BBC1 - well I suppose it beats the current line up which started with a man dressing up as a dog and ended with a man dressing up as a woman last night (credit that to South City :D). I 'm going to copyright Celebrity Oven Cleaning before Bbc1 pinches my idea.
  • Options
    Jay LeeJay Lee Posts: 4,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

8.00 Tonights The Night
    9.00 Ripper Street

Tonight's the Night... please tell me they're not bringing back the John Barrowman cheesefest. As for taking Casualty away from Saturday night, where else are BBC One going to put their most successful 50 minute drama? Unless they convert it to a one hour show like Holby and have it, say, at 9pm on Fridays (?) (Casualty was broadcast at 9.30 on Fridays in the late 80s and early 90s and did very well... different times)
  • Options
    NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Special Charity runs" "raise awareness". Oh please. Drop the pretence that these celeb shows are any different to the ones on ITV, C4 & C5. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean celebrities baking in prime time on BBC1 - well I suppose it beats the current line up which started with a man dressing up as a dog and ended with a man dressing up as a woman last night (credit that to South City :D). I 'm going to copyright Celebrity Oven Cleaning before Bbc1 pinches my idea.

Celebrities baking is a little more interesting than celebrities diving!
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    The Matrix rated okay after with 733k/5.4%, but it started slowly suggesting they got the timeslot wrong. I tend to think it should have been on at 9pm, quite why they followed ITV with the 9.45pm junction I don't know as even though they tend to reject Jonathan Ross, Take Me Out viewers aren't obviously going to be drawn to a sci-fi movie.

The other problem with a 9.45pm slot for The Matrix was that Mrs Brown's got a head start.

Dancc, how did World Without End and The Hurt Locker on Channel 4, and Meet the Parents on BBC One do please? Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celebrities baking is a little more interesting than celebrities diving!

Only if you are an old lady;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle wrote: »
    "Special Charity runs" "raise awareness". Oh please. Drop the pretence that these celeb shows are any different to the ones on ITV, C4 & C5. :rolleyes:

I didn't pretend they were. But they do raise money for charities and gives awareness to the main charity event. All celeb focused shows are designed to0 get bums on seats. I didn't say otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I 'm going to copyright Celebrity Oven Cleaning before Bbc1 pinches my idea.

I'm surpised your guys haven't picked that up already, George. The usual pattern is that the BBC have a monster hit, and ITV pick up the burnt scrapings. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you are an old lady;)

Lol! Cheeky! But I bet it'd get many more viewers than BBC1's current offerings!
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,677
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Just wondering - should Channel 5 have done a 'Celebrity Big Brother Review' show reviewing the series? Pretty sure a review show would get ~1.5m.
    They got burned badly with Big Brother The Winner's Story only doing 300K in primetime one year, so I can't imagine they'd ever try one of these retrospectives again, certainly not in primetime.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some very underwhelming figures all round really. In it To Win It stands out in particular. I feel it should be doing a lot better than it is. Last night's figure could be a blip though. But isn't it down overall compared to last year's series? Maybe people are getting tired of the lottery format - it's ran for a lot of series, though I still enjoy watching it.

Casualty did OK but I think it could be doing a million higher than it is. It's a shame it's not hitting that 6m mark. I've started watching it again recently after not watching for a couple of series and it's very good.

In some ways Splash is successful but I can't help thinking that people are only watching it as there's nothing much else on. I think if it faced stronger competition from the other channels, the ratings would dip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    I'm surpised your guys haven't picked that up already, George. The usual pattern is that the BBC have a monster hit, and ITV pick up the burnt scrapings. :)

No we are working on a transvestite dog show to capitalise on both Animal Antics andMrs Brown.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No we are working on a transvestite dog show to capitalise on both Animal Antics andMrs Brown.:eek:

I can understand the desire to copcyat Mrs Brown, but to be fair you're capitalising on Animal Antics just fine at the moment by running the news against it. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    I can understand the desire to copcyat Mrs Brown, but to be fair you're capitalising on Animal Antics just fine at the moment by running the news against it. :D

And the BBC rip off of Splash will involve swivelling I presume?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And the BBC rip off of Splash will involve swivelling I presume?

No, diving through glass panels, overseen by Shane Ritchie (I'm not joking :eek:).
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean celebrities baking in prime time on BBC1 - well I suppose it beats the current line up which started with a man dressing up as a dog and ended with a man dressing up as a woman last night (credit that to South City :D).

I think you'll find that men playing women is a mainstay of British entertainment stretching back centuries - Shakesperian theatre, pantomime, St Trinian's, Old Mother Riley, Kind Hearts And Coronets, The Mouse That Roared, Dick Emery, Harry Enfield; even Laurel And Hardy have done it. Seems a strange reason to criticise a smash-hit comedy for.

On the other hand the man-dressed-as-a-dog idea on Animal Antics seems to have been pinched from the US sitcom Wilfred which seems like a strange thing to do for a BBC1 Saturday night light entertainment show. I think it's meant to be ironic but it just comes across as idiotic.If they'd had a wise-cracking dog puppet (Basil Brush, for instance; a fox is a dog) they might have got away with it (although the ratings probably wouldn't have been any bigger so we'd still be criticising it as a rubbish programme).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    I think you'll find that men playing women is a mainstay of British entertainment stretching back centuries - Shakesperian theatre, pantomime, St Trinian's, Old Mother Riley, Kind Hearts And Coronets, The Mouse That Roared, Dick Emery, Harry Enfield; even Laurel And Hardy have done it. Seems a strange reason to criticise a smash-hit comedy for.
    There are so many reasons to criticise it. I have to admit to never being able to sit through a full episode. I really despise the naff ness, the breaking of the fourth wall - I thought I was watching an out takes show from what I saw. I asked someone and they said its like that every week :eek:. Also I believe they are shameless in lifting jokes from other shows.

And. Before any says it - if it was an itv I'd dislike it just as much. I just have a visceral dislike of the whole show from its unoriginality, vulgarity, naffness, and so on that I can't even bear to be in the room when it's on.
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Please do not insult children's television by calling Secret Service a kids' show.

:p

It reminds me of Prank Patrol, but that seems tighter and generally better than this to be honest.
This discussion has been closed.